Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sources: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 06, 2017, 12:07:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This is interesting. We will see if there is anything to this in time.

In a potentially paradigm-shifting proposal, the NCAA members may vote to allow all Division-I transfers to be eligible to play immediately. The only potential restrictions are that student-athletes would be asked to meet a minimum GPA, in order to transfer immediately, and that any additional transfer would require the student-athletes to sit out a full year. The proposal, which is being solicited among members for feedback, is gaining increased traction in recent weeks, a source confirms.

By late June, the Transfer Working Group made progress on creating uniformity in transfer rules. They contemplated two polar-opposite options: the first was to require every student-athlete to sit out a year, while the second option was to enable every student-athlete to be immediately eligible upon transferring to a new school, as long as they achieved a minimum GPA designed to lead the student-athlete ultimately to graduate.

http://247sports.com/Article/Sources-Major-Potential-Shift-In-NCAA-Transfer-Rules-107001121
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgon

Oh, sounds great.  Sure, let everyone be a farm school for Nick Saban.  He could let a kid that he was little iffy on, go to another school and see if he pans out there.  Then if the kid was any good, he could swoop in and bring him to Bama to win a championship.  Yeah, that sounds awesome.

Smokehouse

Give more opportunity for unsightly recruiting antics to occur, but it's still the right thing to do for the students. Especially with the longevity of coaches at any particular job being as short as it is now.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 12:13:10 pm
Oh, sounds great.  Sure, let everyone be a farm school for Nick Saban.  He could let a kid that he was little iffy on, go to another school and see if he pans out there.  Then if the kid was any good, he could swoop in and bring him to Bama to win a championship.  Yeah, that sounds awesome.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That works 2 ways. That 5* that came in thinking he would be playing right off the bat gets to come play for the ol hogs and get revenge on little nicky. It could potentially level the playing field a bit
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

LRHawg

Just makes it even easier for the elite teams to build up their teams. I could see recruiting shifting somewhat where you focus less on kids coming into college and more on freshman stand-outs.

Hoggish1

PorkRinds

PorkRinds

Quote from: LRHawg on September 06, 2017, 12:19:37 pm
Just makes it even easier for the elite teams to build up their teams. I could see recruiting shifting somewhat where you focus less on kids coming into college and more on freshman stand-outs.

I don't think you'd be able to recruit kids on other teams unless they announce a transfer. Still a terrible idea.

MuskogeeHogFan

Conversely, it would also makes it easier for a certain percentage of those 4 and 5 stars that are collected on teams like Alabama, to transfer out when they find out that getting playing time isn't as easy as they expected when they signed. It is a double-edged sword.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 06, 2017, 12:19:18 pm
That works 2 ways. That 5* that came in thinking he would be playing right off the bat gets to come play for the ol hogs and get revenge on little nicky. It could potentially level the playing field a bit

Five stars don't go to Bama to play right away.  They go to win championships.  They know there are other five stars already there.  It wouldn't work the way you think.  What would happen is that Nick would get to purge his roster of those four and five stars who didn't pan out and then cherry pick the ones he wanted from other schools.

Sivad

gchamblee

I think it should be restricted to non starters. Having your starters stolen is different than having your 3rd stringer get the opportunity to be a starter somewhere else.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 12:28:45 pm
Five stars don't go to Bama to play right away.  They go to win championships.  They know there are other five stars already there.  It wouldn't work the way you think.  What would happen is that Nick would get to purge his roster of those four and five stars who didn't pan out and then cherry pick the ones he wanted from other schools.
Im not sure I believe that
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

azhog10

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 06, 2017, 12:28:05 pm
Conversely, it would also makes it easier for a certain percentage of those 4 and 5 stars that are collected on teams like Alabama, to transfer out when they find out that getting playing time isn't as easy as they expected when they signed. It is a double-edged sword.
As long as there isn't any blocks to SEC schools....like Arkansas.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2017, 12:28:45 pm

I'll bet that there would still be conditions attached to the release as to where a kid could transfer.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbackfan86

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 06, 2017, 12:19:46 pm
You were both off the mark in your "thinking."

I could be wrong, but I see this benefiting the Alabama's & Ohio State's more than us.

Wildhog

Well, that'd pretty much destroy college football as we know it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

sowmonella

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on September 06, 2017, 12:31:56 pm
I could be wrong, but I see this benefiting the Alabama's & Ohio State's more than us.
Alabam & Ohio State already have quality depth. It would help us and other power 5s gain needed depth when something happens
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

elksnort

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 12:30:08 pm
I think it should be restricted to non starters. Having your starters stolen is different than having your 3rd stringer get the opportunity to be a starter somewhere else.
Decent idea. I wonder if this of what you type is part of the plan?

hogsanity

i have always liked giving each player one free transfer, without sitting out, after that if your transfer again you sit a year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 06, 2017, 12:39:55 pm
i have always liked giving each player one free transfer, without sitting out, after that if your transfer again you sit a year.

I think it should be allowed if your HC leaves.  Other than that, keep it the same.  JMO.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: sowmonella on September 06, 2017, 12:35:16 pm
Alabam & Ohio State already have quality depth. It would help us and other power 5s gain needed depth when something happens
This is my thinking.  Alabama has 85 scholarship players and they are winning all the championships they can say grace over.  How many of them make a significant contribution over the course of the season?  50? 55? And that is stretching the definition of meaningful contribution.  You don't think there are guys further down the roster that could play at a lot of other places?

gchamblee

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 06, 2017, 12:46:07 pm
This is my thinking.  Alabama has 85 scholarship players and they are winning all the championships they can say grace over.  How many of them make a significant contribution over the course of the season?  50? 55? And that is stretching the definition of meaningful contribution.  You don't think there are guys further down the roster that could play at a lot of other places?

How many quality senior players start for an also ran team would love to transfer to Bama, ride the pine and graduate with a ring? Nick can trade rings for not having to play against them.

phadedhawg

I see both sides of this and think there's equal chances of hurting or helping the 2nd & 3rd tier programs. 

The rich usually get richer so there's a good chance this will help them more than it could ever help us.

Paul

Quote from: sowmonella on September 06, 2017, 12:35:16 pm
I agree with you.  Case in point:  David Williams

Tusks

After watching college football the last few years, FR are playing at a high level faster and faster.

Can you imagine a guy playing for Bama as a FR, OU as SPH, USC as a JR. etc etc.

Don't think there won't be some kids that will try it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

SDZ_Hog

Horrible idea.  Unless the school is about to be under probation and you aren't the reason I think you don't have to sit out for a year.  Case by case for a head coach leaves and the next coach brings in a different system or a no crap transfer to be "reasonable" closer to family members for legit reasons.

So are there going to be anti-tampering mechanism in place or will players start getting cold calls from other schools selling pt for next season?  Do we have to sit through another hat ceremony for a kid that already had a hat ceremony?

There needs to be a big enough deterrent to stop the wild west from happening and sitting out one year seems reasonable to me.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 12:48:03 pm
How many quality senior players start for an also ran team would love to transfer to Bama, ride the pine and graduate with a ring? Nick can trade rings for not having to play against them.
If a football player would rather sit than play you probably don't need them anyway.

SDZ_Hog

Justifiable Hogicide

RazorPiggie

So what would the GPA requirement be? I'd say a 3.0+ for them to be eligible immediately.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

This ain't basketball, and not every 5* can do what C. Hayden is doing. Stars aren't always indicative of effort.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Been10Hog

I see it the other way! Every kid wants to be a star at Alabama! When they get there they see the competition is tougher than any other school in the country. 5 stars may decide to transfer elsewhere to start the following year so they don't sit for 2 or 3 like Josh Frazier or the NLR WR that went to OSU

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 06, 2017, 12:30:14 pm
Im not sure I believe that

Most don't and aren't transferring out. In 2015 Bama had 29 players who had already earned their degrees on their roster. That doesn't happen in a program that hemorrages players.

Most of the kids that leave Bama end up at much smaller schools.

LRHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 06, 2017, 12:28:05 pm

But that also just makes it easier for Bama to clear out room for the top Freshman they've convinced to transfer in. There is uncertainty when it comes to recruiting high school kids. That has been mitigated as much as possible, but it still remains. Blue chip teams would now be able to quickly get rid of those that didn't pan out in their first year or two and replace with proven freshmen. Sure those kids can leave, but I think they'll see their stock drop dramatically as they look for a new home. This rule would perhaps help the top 1% of college football players, as a reward for their great first season or two would be the ability to leave for a blue chip team. The rest, not so much. Players can already request to leave if a coaching change occurs.

This potential rule change will be detrimental to college football as a whole and I think it is a mistake. Rules changes that make it more like pro sports should be avoided.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The rules should be the same for the school and player. Right now, the school commits year by year and the player is limited by transfer rules. If a school made a scholarship a 4 year commitment, then I agree put limitations on the player if he doesn't want to stay. But don't make it where a kid signs in February and the coach leaves and he isn't eligible to play somewhere else for 1 to 2 years.

Been10Hog

Quote from: LRHawg on September 06, 2017, 01:08:50 pm
But that also just makes it easier for Bama to clear out room for the top Freshman they've convinced to transfer in. There is uncertainty when it comes to recruiting high school kids. That has been mitigated as much as possible, but it still remains. Blue chip teams would now be able to quickly get rid of those that didn't pan out in their first year or two and replace with proven freshmen. Sure those kids can leave, but I think they'll see their stock drop dramatically as they look for a new home. This rule would perhaps help the top 1% of college football players, as a reward for their great first season or two would be the ability to leave for a blue chip team. The rest, not so much. Players can already request to leave if a coaching change occurs.

This potential rule change will be detrimental to college football as a whole and I think it is a mistake. Rules changes that make it more like pro sports should be avoided.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So why would a freshman transfer into Alabama. By this logic the freshman had to be a stud who got significant playing time earning recognition on all conference teams and in the media. Now they want to leave a place they have excelled at to go roll the dice at Bama. Too many people think the sky is falling on this board. This rule would help us not hurt us!!

LRHawg

Quote from: Karma on September 06, 2017, 01:09:57 pm
The rules should be the same for the school and player. Right now, the school commits year by year and the player is limited by transfer rules. If a school made a scholarship a 4 year commitment, then I agree put limitations on the player if he doesn't want to stay. But don't make it where a kid signs in February and the coach leaves and he isn't eligible to play somewhere else for 1 to 2 years.

Not every school does that. Buyer beware if you commit to a school with a coach known to do that.

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 06, 2017, 01:13:28 pm
So why would a freshman transfer into Alabama. By this logic the freshman had to be a stud who got significant playing time earning recognition on all conference teams and in the media. Now they want to leave a place they have excelled at to go roll the dice at Bama. Too many people think the sky is falling on this board. This rule would help us not hurt us!!

I don't think this rule would impact us, as we're somewhat in the middle. I think it would help the blue chips and hurt smaller teams. We develop a great player, I think they're more likely to stay in the SEC and compete vs a kid that developed late or had grade issues and the top teams passed on, so they ended up at a lower-tier school.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: tusked on September 06, 2017, 12:53:56 pm
After watching college football the last few years, FR are playing at a high level faster and faster.

Can you imagine a guy playing for Bama as a FR, OU as SPH, USC as a JR. etc etc.

Don't think there won't be some kids that will try it.

I would mention one QB whom would've definitely gave this rule a try - Ricky Towns

This would be bad for CFB as a whole...Bad teams would be worse and Top teams would stack the deck even more so than ever!!!!  Terrible for CFB.

HamSammich

Strangely I'm not opposed to this. I think coaches making kids promises and becoming their "friends" in two years of recruiting and then leaving for another coaching job is criminal.

However after typing this I can see how coaches could use this to hold schools even more hostage for $$. Like a tom Herman saying "if you let me leave for another school I'm taking my two five stars with me"

So maybe this needs to be thought out more.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 06, 2017, 12:26:21 pm
I don't think you'd be able to recruit kids on other teams unless they announce a transfer. Still a terrible idea.
I think it is nice that they are at least considering making a rule in favor of the players.

like you said, schools can't actively recruit other schools players, and it gives players more mobility, and thus more control over their own careers.

I'm not sure if I would vote FOR the rule or not, but its an interesting concept.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 06, 2017, 02:05:57 pm
I think it is nice that they are at least considering making a rule in favor of the players.

like you said, schools can't actively recruit other schools players, and it gives players more mobility, and thus more control over their own careers.

I'm not sure if I would vote FOR the rule or not, but its an interesting concept.

el oh el.

Since when have coaches cared about the rules?  Players would absolutely be actively recruited from other schools.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 02:08:41 pm
el oh el.

Since when have coaches cared about the rules?  Players would absolutely be actively recruited from other schools.
sounds like an NCAA infraction to me that would be extremely easy to find out about if done directly.

I suppose if they used a middle man it might be a little harder to track.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 06, 2017, 02:10:18 pm
sounds like an NCAA infraction to me that would be extremely easy to find out about.

Not any easier than other infractions.  Cheating is rampant in CFB, and only rarely are major violators caught and punished
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on September 06, 2017, 02:11:23 pm
Not any easier than other infractions.  Cheating is rampant in CFB, and only rarely are major violators caught and punished
then why isn't it happening now.  if a player is THAT good why doesn't Bama just recruit a few guys, have them sit out a year and be eligible to play?

how yeah, because they are already stocked with 5 stars, they can only have 85 players, same as anyone else.

That, and I'm sure a school would still have to "release them" which they aren't going to do to an in conference rival.

NaturalStateReb

It could also work the other way as well.

I like the idea generally, but I think there also has to be a rule where one school can't contact a player from another school.  If the player makes contact, that's one thing, but these programs can't be allowed to recruit each other's players after signing.  That would be total chaos.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogcard1964

It will pass.

It means more money for big time collegiate football schools.