Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the best thing Pelphrey did?

Started by rzrbackramsfan, May 02, 2017, 08:43:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Pelphrey was quite the disaster but he did some good things.  Whats your favorite thing he did?

I would personally go with getting Marshawn Powell to come to Arkansas.  If Powell would've spent 4 years under CMA he could be in the NBA right now.

Proud Hog

King Kong

TomasPistola

Showed some fire. I liked the guy. Just wasn't gonna get it done here.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hollywood_HOGan45

He was a fantastic guy.
Outside if winning in the NCAA his first year I enjoyed beating a great Oklahoma team with Blake griffin.
One of my favorite nights as a hogfan.
The problem is the team took a nosedive after beating Texas. 2-14 in a bad league won't get it done,

PonderinHog

ShadowHawg

I liked him. The best thing he did was get academics heading back up.

trphog

Foshodo

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 02, 2017, 08:43:09 pm
Pelphrey was quite the disaster but he did some good things.  Whats your favorite thing he did?

I would personally go with getting Marshawn Powell to come to Arkansas.  If Powell would've spent 4 years under CMA he could be in the NBA right now.

Marshawn is a punk... wish he would have stayed in VA with his all-potential fake gangster self. i had to unfollow dude because he ragged on Razorbacks almost any chance he got.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on May 02, 2017, 08:46:32 pm
Beating the Hoosiers

Yep. This was it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c_kiNGodF1E"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HogAllMighty

HogAllMighty

Quote from: Foshodo on May 03, 2017, 12:26:13 am
Marshawn is a punk... wish he would have stayed in VA with his all-potential fake gangster self. i had to unfollow dude because he ragged on Razorbacks almost any chance he got.

So did Darnell Robinson. Did you call him a punk?

The_Iceman

Pelphreys first year and a half were awesome. His last 2.5 years were a disaster.

PennHOG

His courtside facial expressions were classic.  I loved his passion but I he had so much trouble with discipling players.   I think he will get his shot again.  But to answer the question, beating Indiana
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

The_Bionic_Pig

Uptick in recruiting as compared to Stan Heath.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

Pelphrey was a decent recruiter but he took too many character risks. It seemed that the fire he had early on in his career went away in that second season. I don't think he was prepared for what it took to run an SEC program. I actually feel bad for the guy. I don't think he was really one anyone's radar for a high-major job before we had to scramble and came calling. Now he's damaged goods. I do think it's odd that he hasn't turned up somewhere as a head coach. He'll just be 49 this summer. I do hope he gets another chance to be a head coach. He just wasn't ready for the Arkansas job.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

King Kong

PonderinHog

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 03, 2017, 09:19:26 am
Pelphrey was a decent recruiter but he took too many character risks. It seemed that the fire he had early on in his career went away in that second season. I don't think he was prepared for what it took to run an SEC program. I actually feel bad for the guy. I don't think he was really one anyone's radar for a high-major job before we had to scramble and came calling. Now he's damaged goods. I do think it's odd that he hasn't turned up somewhere as a head coach. He'll just be 49 this summer. I do hope he gets another chance to be a head coach. He just wasn't ready for the Arkansas job.

This pretty well sums it up.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HognitiveDissonance

I respect him quite a bit as a person.
He had mixed results as a coach. I was ok with whatever Long decided to do heading into that fifth season. More time, ok. Make a change, ok with that too.
But a quality individual.
One thing that really stood out to me was even after Long made a coaching change, Pelphrey traveled back to Arkansas to see some of his players go through graduation ceremonies. Many people would have left town and never looked back.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Corkscrew Johnson

Probably the best thing he did was convince someone he could be a head coach. 

rzrbackramsfan

The_Iceman

Why is this in the Basketball Recruiting Forum?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 11:48:10 am
Agreed. Ronnie Brewer, P Bev, Al Jefferson (even though he never played), Weems (briefly) are the Pro Hogs that have had recent success and staying power in the NBA that were all Heath guys. Pel had some good players, but they never broke through and remained in the league.

Since its fair game to hold in state guys against MA, then Brewer and Weems don't count. We were about the only school recruiting Jefferson because everyone knew he was going pro just like LeBron and didn't waste resources on him.

So that leaves Beverley. A headache and grade causality

If MA had recruited these guys this would be the narrative along with not being able to keep Anderson from Ok State.

hvsupastar

Personally I liked it when he told that Tennessee player to STFU in the SEC tournament
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Jim Harris

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 02, 2017, 08:43:09 pm

beat Oklahoma and Texas back to back. That's great by anybody's definition.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Jim Harris on May 03, 2017, 01:29:03 pm
Yes.
I was going to say that was the 'Peak of Pelphrey', but I figured everyone else would say that also.
I was at both those games. Awesome games, the Bud was rockin'.

Back to Heath, yes, he was an excellent recruiter, a 9 of 10. I rued the day he left because of that reason. He was bringing the talent in. As a coach, I'd give him 5 of 10. Ok.
You still get credit for recruits with ties to the program, whether in-city, in-state, etc.
We should know this by now. Instate guys like Allen and Monk left the state. So even if they're from Arkansas, you still have to convince them to the UA. You still have to recruit them.
So, yes, if using a 'credit' scale, an instate recruit is still worth full credit to me.
But to truly measure one's recruiting prowess, out of state guys are worth more, like double credit. 1 pt for instate, 2 pts for out of state.
Heath had quite a few out of state recruits.
He also made his mark recruiting within the first few months of taking the job, drawing legitimate interest from Daniel Gibson and Lamarcus Aldridge, and signing Eric Ferguson and Kendrick Davis on short notice. I was as impressed by that as much as anything.
Heath's notable out of state recruits:

Patrick Beverly         Chicago
Darian Townes         Virginia
Al Jefferson              Mississippi
Steven Hill                 Missouri
Charles Thomas       Mississippi
Cyrus McGowan     Mississippi. Entire family had attended Miss St, but Heath convinced him to come here.

Great salesman, average coach.

Just strictly considering the last three coaches and not the 'legends'(Eddie, Nolan), if you could somehow combine Heath's recruiting ability with Anderson's coaching, we'd be in business.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

WilsonHog

He could kick hell out of a press row table.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 02:07:18 pm
Fixed the APR.

This was what I was going to say.  We were in trouble before he came (Altman saw it and ran), and we were in good APR shape when he left. 

Little Lady Back

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 03, 2017, 01:26:21 pm
Personally I liked it when he told that Tennessee player to STFU in the SEC tournament

That was pretty awesome!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MountieDawg

His defense of Christian Lattener was awful!
SEC!

Hogginintheville

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 03, 2017, 10:21:05 am
I respect him quite a bit as a person.
He had mixed results as a coach. I was ok with whatever Long decided to do heading into that fifth season. More time, ok. Make a change, ok with that too.
But a quality individual.
One thing that really stood out to me was even after Long made a coaching change, Pelphrey traveled back to Arkansas to see some of his players go through graduation ceremonies. Many people would have left town and never looked back.

This

HogsonHicks

Letsroll1200

King Kong

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 03, 2017, 01:07:29 pm
Since its fair game to hold in state guys against MA, then Brewer and Weems don't count. We were about the only school recruiting Jefferson because everyone knew he was going pro just like LeBron and didn't waste resources on him.

So that leaves Beverley. A headache and grade causality

If MA had recruited these guys this would be the narrative along with not being able to keep Anderson from Ok State.

Jefferson wasn't a guaranteed first round pick at the time. If he had dropped to the Second round he was coming to Arkansas. Steven Hill, Townes, Thomas and  Famutimi all highly ranked.

If Heath could have coached a lick we might have done something

MCHogger

Quote from: Foshodo on May 03, 2017, 12:26:13 am

I rode on an airplane from Fort Smith to Dallas and sat next to Marshawn Powell in early April.  He was a really nice guy and had absolutely nothing to say negative about Arkansas.  I asked him what he was doing in Fort Smith and he said that he lives in Greenwood with his wife.  He came in for the birth of his child that weekend and was on a plane back to Germany where he plays professionally.  He said when he retires from basketball he wants to live there full time- said they have acreage and a nice house and he loves it there.  I asked him about Pelphrey and why he came to Arkansas in the first place. He said he lived in Newport News, VA and was going to either UVA or Arkansas.  He said the reason he came to Arkansas was strictly his relationship with asst. coach Tom Ostrom, who is currently on staff with Archie Miller at Indiana.  He said the first time Pelphrey came to visit him at his high school, Pelphrey actually fell asleep talking to him.  He was very close to Ostrom though.  Marshawn was a top fifty kid in high school and was a very good player for the hogs, despite several injuries.  I asked him about the primary difference between Pelphrey and Anderson and he said discipline and accountability.  He said with Pelphrey you really didn't even have to go to class.  Totally opposite with Mike.   He said the program was much more structured with Anderson.

He remains very close to BJ and Fortson.  He also said that he played a lot of ball last summer in Springdale against Malik.  He said Marcus had some secret private gym arranged for him and several former and current Hogs to play in.  Said that Fortson was there a lot, and that a Courtney had just signed a big contract extension in China and had a really nice house in Springdale, and that was a surprise to me as well.  Said he really wanted to stay his last year, but that he needed to move on because he was 23 due to his redshirt injury year.  Super nice guy.

Here are some recent Germany highlights of him, I think we forget how good this guy was

https://youtu.be/AihFEoYU7WI

cosmodrum

Yep. This one.
Go away, batin'

PharmacistHog

Rocked the hell outta the red sportcoat

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

ChicoHog

May 03, 2017, 10:36:31 pm #42 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:58:00 pm by ChicoHog
Didn't give up easy 3's and open layups with his defense!

I liked the guy also but I think it was time for him to go.  I hope he gets another chance somewhere. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Great start, horrible finish
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NWAHog479

Sit next to Billy D @ Florida... Pel was and is a great assistant coach, not a bad coach somewhere like USA. LOL @ Marshawn being an NBA player because 4 years here would not have mattered.

azhog10

He sure could lay down and have a good bleed.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ChicoHog on May 03, 2017, 10:36:31 pm
Didn't give up easy 3's and open layups with his defense!

Never won 27 games here while not giving up easy 3's and open layups with his defense! Must have sprung a few leaks elsewhere.  ;D
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

I never liked the Pelphrey hire because of the KY Jelly connection. Now that he is gone, I don't really even think of him, Heath either for that matter.

Best thing he ever did for the program was tanking during his last season so that it was easier for Long to fire him.

I wasn't hoping for CMA to come here because I didn't think he would after the Nolan and Frank cage match. Glad he is here though. So, in hindsight, Pelphrey lost enough games to seal his own fate and that gave us new life.
Hogs up! Covid down!

pigture perfect

PelsPals was a great thing. I haven't seen another coach come up with anything like it in the community. Maybe they have, but it hasn't been as visible. I truly believe he loved our state. He was learning on the job, just not fast enough.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: MCHogger on May 03, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
I rode on an airplane from Fort Smith to Dallas and sat next to Marshawn Powell in early April.  He was a really nice guy and had absolutely nothing to say negative about Arkansas.  I asked him what he was doing in Fort Smith and he said that he lives in Greenwood with his wife.  He came in for the birth of his child that weekend and was on a plane back to Germany where he plays professionally.  He said when he retires from basketball he wants to live there full time- said they have acreage and a nice house and he loves it there.  I asked him about Pelphrey and why he came to Arkansas in the first place. He said he lived in Newport News, VA and was going to either UVA or Arkansas.  He said the reason he came to Arkansas was strictly his relationship with asst. coach Tom Ostrom, who is currently on staff with Archie Miller at Indiana.  He said the first time Pelphrey came to visit him at his high school, Pelphrey actually fell asleep talking to him.  He was very close to Ostrom though.  Marshawn was a top fifty kid in high school and was a very good player for the hogs, despite several injuries.  I asked him about the primary difference between Pelphrey and Anderson and he said discipline and accountability.  He said with Pelphrey you really didn't even have to go to class.  Totally opposite with Mike.   He said the program was much more structured with Anderson.

He remains very close to BJ and Fortson.  He also said that he played a lot of ball last summer in Springdale against Malik.  He said Marcus had some secret private gym arranged for him and several former and current Hogs to play in.  Said that Fortson was there a lot, and that a Courtney had just signed a big contract extension in China and had a really nice house in Springdale, and that was a surprise to me as well.  Said he really wanted to stay his last year, but that he needed to move on because he was 23 due to his redshirt injury year.  Super nice guy.

Here are some recent Germany highlights of him, I think we forget how good this guy was

https://youtu.be/AihFEoYU7WI
Nice information. Thanks for the updates.