Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P. Bev

Started by HamSammich, April 16, 2017, 09:48:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

I have yet to see a player play harder than Pat Beverly at Arkansas.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 18, 2017, 11:34:16 am
Who do you think should be MVP? Lebron or Kawhi?

I honestly feel that Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA right now.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 18, 2017, 02:39:04 pm
I honestly feel that Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA right now.

He can do a lot of great things that's for sure. I enjoy watching he and the Spurs play.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 18, 2017, 11:34:16 am
Who do you think should be MVP? Lebron or Kawhi?

I don't feel strongly one way or another.  I don't even have a problem with Westbrook winning it.  Off the top of my head I think there are probably six players in the NBA who are "more valuable" than the rest in terms of what they mean to their teams' success and the power structure of the entire league:

Westbrook
Harden
LeBron
Steph Curry
Leonard
Isaiah Thomas

I happen to dislike Westbrook more than any of those guys, but if he wins the MVP so be it.  He's a good candidate.

Artex501

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 09:02:03 am
More than any of that, he's just a punk.  Watch him play one game and that much is obvious.

I would have agreed with you before this past season. Something about the I don't need you season that he is having changed my mind about him, really has become on of my favorites to cheer for after our former hogs of course.

JayBell

Lebron and Steph are great, but I don't think either belongs in the MVP discussion this year.  Every argument for Lebron, as far as how dynamic his game is, applies just as much to Kawhi this season and Kawhi is the better defender.

Really, it's Westbrook, Harden and everyone else.  I don't think Thomas and Antetokounmpo are getting near enough credit.  Antetokounmpo improved in virtually every category and led his (playoff) team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals.  They were 22-29 with Jabari Parker and 20-11 without him.

EastexHawg

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2017, 03:53:24 pm
Lebron and Steph are great, but I don't think either belongs in the MVP discussion this year.  Every argument for Lebron, as far as how dynamic his game is, applies just as much to Kawhi this season and Kawhi is the better defender.

Really, it's Westbrook, Harden and everyone else.  I don't think Thomas and Antetokounmpo are getting near enough credit.  Antetokounmpo improved in virtually every category and led his (playoff) team in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals.  They were 22-29 with Jabari Parker and 20-11 without him.

Curry's season so far isn't up to last year's standard, but he is maybe the greatest pure shooter in history and the best player on a team that has won more games in a three year stretch than any in the history of the league.  I personally think he is more valuable than either Westbrook or Harden in terms of his effect on the power structure of the league, but I agree with you that when it comes down to a vote the race is going to be between those two.  I think Leonard will finish third.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2017, 03:53:24 pm

The Cavs are like 3-19 without Lebron since he's been back with them. Harden's season is more of a result of the system IMO.

HamSammich

Lets see if P. Bev can be a hero again tonight fellas!

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TebowHater

Congrats to PBev. Love to see someone earn everything they get by just working their tail off.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

BRHogfan

He's still dead to me.

Not like I actually hate him and won't him to fail... I just don't care about his career.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: BRHogfan on June 27, 2017, 11:09:30 am
He's still dead to me.

Not like I actually hate him and won't him to fail... I just don't care about his career.

Understand.

He was not a top citizen while here. He was here such a short time and got expelled that outside of our fanbase, most people don't even know he played here so we don't get that exposure that Joe and Bobby give to the program from the league.

JayBell

Quote from: BRHogfan on June 27, 2017, 11:09:30 amHe's still dead to me.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 27, 2017, 02:49:01 pm
Understand.

He was not a top citizen while here. He was here such a short time and got expelled that outside of our fanbase, most people don't even know he played here so we don't get that exposure that Joe and Bobby give to the program from the league.

Y'all must know or heard something I don't know about.  "Not a top citizen?"  Other than the actual academic ineligibility, I don't remember him having that many issues.  He made a mistake and he paid for it.

Beverley was at Arkansas for two full years.  He was Freshman of the Year the first season.  That's not nothing.  People that don't know Beverley went to Arkansas also don't know Melo went to Syracuse or Wade went to Marquette.  That's because of the passage of time, not because he wasn't here for long enough.

JayBell

I'm obviously biased because I had season tickets in the student section during his sophomore year, but him winning the Hustle Award reflects his entire career.  He played SO HARD for Arkansas and he represented the Razorbacks well on an Under-19 national team that included Steph Curry, Michael Beasley and DeAndre Jordan.

I don't know, it's just crazy to me that any Arkansas fans would not want to root for the guy.

hawkhawg

I wish Beverly could have played for Nolan.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JayBell on July 20, 2017, 09:32:05 am
Y'all must know or heard something I don't know about.  "Not a top citizen?"  Other than the actual academic ineligibility, I don't remember him having that many issues.  He made a mistake and he paid for it.

Beverley was at Arkansas for two full years.  He was Freshman of the Year the first season.  That's not nothing.  People that don't know Beverley went to Arkansas also don't know Melo went to Syracuse or Wade went to Marquette.  That's because of the passage of time, not because he wasn't here for long enough.

Definitely not a top citizen. Horrible attitude while in class according to people I knew had the misfortune of having classes with him.

How about the infamous picture of him waving cash in a local bar?

He wasn't academically ineligible. HE GOT EXPELLED! Cheated, plagiarism, etc

The only way non Arkansans could possibly remember Beverly as a Hog would be if they watched us get our arse kicked by USC or North Carolina. He wasn't even the best player on those teams.

If he wasn't in the NBA right now, no one, including yourself would be praising the guy's career here. It really wasn't that remarkable.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JayBell on July 20, 2017, 09:38:21 am
I'm obviously biased because I had season tickets in the student section during his sophomore year, but him winning the Hustle Award reflects his entire career.  He played SO HARD for Arkansas and he represented the Razorbacks well on an Under-19 national team that included Steph Curry, Michael Beasley and DeAndre Jordan.

I don't know, it's just crazy to me that any Arkansas fans would not want to root for the guy.
ikr?! I am actually SHOCKED to read some here saying hateful things about that stud. Unreal. A bunch of judgemental bozos.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hawkhawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 am
Definitely not a top citizen. Horrible attitude while in class according to people I knew had the misfortune of having classes with him.

How about the infamous picture of him waving cash in a local bar?

He wasn't academically ineligible. HE GOT EXPELLED! Cheated, plagiarism, etc

The only way non Arkansans could possibly remember Beverly as a Hog would be if they watched us get our arse kicked by USC or North Carolina. He wasn't even the best player on those teams.

If he wasn't in the NBA right now, no one, including yourself would be praising the guy's career here. It really wasn't that remarkable.

I'm not sure about that. I think most people thought he was the best player on those teams.  Freshman of the year,  all sec second team, and lead the team in scoring as a freshman.

Sophomore stat line: rebounding (6.6 rpg), steals (1.3 spg), 3-point percentage (.378). points (12.1 ppg) and assists (2.4 apg). That is a pretty impressive stat line. Lead the team in rebounding and steals.

JayBell

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 amDefinitely not a top citizen. Horrible attitude while in class according to people I knew had the misfortune of having classes with him.

I met him in person and dude was always cool.  Fiery for damn sure.  That's just my firsthand experiences.  I personally didn't hear any negative secondhand comments about him.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 amHow about the infamous picture of him waving cash in a local bar?

Well all hate Ryan Mallett for getting a public intox too, right?

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 amHe wasn't academically ineligible. HE GOT EXPELLED! Cheated, plagiarism, etc

Right, and he had to deal with the consequences of his actions.  It's not like he showed up on campus, cheated and got bounced.  He was here for two whole years.  Former players have done a lot worse than get expelled and fans still love them.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 amThe only way non Arkansans could possibly remember Beverly as a Hog would be if they watched us get our arse kicked by USC or North Carolina. He wasn't even the best player on those teams.

You're right.  Sonny Weems was the best player.  After that, it was Beverley.  I loved that team.  I loved watching Hill, Townes, Ervin, Welsh and the Manimal, but none of them were the player Beverley was, which is why he was picked for the U-19 national team and why he's had the best pro career of all of them.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 amIf he wasn't in the NBA right now, no one, including yourself would be praising the guy's career here. It really wasn't that remarkable.

It also wasn't as unremarkable as disgraceful as you make it out to be.  It's not even close.  He was the second-best player and the most animated character on Arkansas' most successful team between 1999 and 2015.  You're nuts if you think I wouldn't still have fond memories of him at Bud Walton.

Pig in the Pokey

Agreed, @JayBell . i LOVED that squad !
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ShadowHawg

July 22, 2017, 08:50:09 am #74 Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:10:17 am by ShadowHawg
Quote from: JayBell on July 21, 2017, 08:27:54 am
I met him in person and dude was always cool.  Fiery for damn sure.  That's just my firsthand experiences.  I personally didn't hear any negative secondhand comments about him.

Well all hate Ryan Mallett for getting a public intox too, right?

Right, and he had to deal with the consequences of his actions.  It's not like he showed up on campus, cheated and got bounced.  He was here for two whole years.  Former players have done a lot worse than get expelled and fans still love them.

You're right.  Sonny Weems was the best player.  After that, it was Beverley.  I loved that team.  I loved watching Hill, Townes, Ervin, Welsh and the Manimal, but none of them were the player Beverley was, which is why he was picked for the U-19 national team and why he's had the best pro career of all of them.

It also wasn't as unremarkable as disgraceful as you make it out to be.  It's not even close.  He was the second-best player and the most animated character on Arkansas' most successful team between 1999 and 2015.  You're nuts if you think I wouldn't still have fond memories of him at Bud Walton.

Sad that you have guys like him as a hog hero. There have been so many more options over my hog fandom. Beverly was a punk during his time here. Could care less about what happens after they leave.

By the way, the Razorback basketball program took a huge hit on Apr because disgraceful academic behavior.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 22, 2017, 08:50:09 am
Sad that you have guys like him as a hog hero. There have been so many more options over my hog fandom. Beverly was a punk during his time here. Could care less about what happens after they leave.

By the way, the Razorback basketball program took a huge hit on Apr because disgraceful academic behavior.

I almost blame pelphrey for that.  Pelphrey has a bad culture going on, no control over his team, and I don't think he paid attention to how kids did in the classroom which really opens the door up to that kind of thing. 

Speaking of PBev, since moving to Houston three months ago I've met him twice! First time I played ball against him at a public park and then I saw him last night at a club and shook his hand/asked if he remembered me from ball. 

1highhog

I can't believe some peoples opinion of PBev's time while being a Hog.  He sure has represented himself well while playing in the NBA.  And while he was in Houston, when I was there watching a game I got to see him after a game and I gave out a loud WPS and he liked to have broke his neck turning around and looking from where it came from, he spotted my wife and I waving and gave a big wave and grin, it was like it made his night.  It might not have made his but it did ours, most players would have never even turned around.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 1highhog on July 26, 2017, 04:53:50 pm
I can't believe some peoples opinion of PBev's time while being a Hog.  He sure has represented himself well while playing in the NBA.  And while he was in Houston, when I was there watching a game I got to see him after a game and I gave out a loud WPS and he liked to have broke his neck turning around and looking from where it came from, he spotted my wife and I waving and gave a big wave and grin, it was like it made his night.  It might not have made his but it did ours, most players would have never even turned around.

PBev didnt play for Nolan or Mike.  That matters to a few here. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

JayBell

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 26, 2017, 08:56:38 pmPBev didnt play for Nolan or Mike.  That matters to a few here.

I guess.  That makes a lot more sense than just pretending like Beverley didn't make an impact here.  He left it all out on the court every time he played for Arkansas.  He screwed up off the court, suffered the consequences and, as far as I know, has always taken responsibility for it.  I haven't seen him ever say a bad word about Arkansas.

I never said he was a hero, but I loved watching him represent the Razorbacks and I've been impressed as hell to watch how he put in time in Europe and rose up to become one of the best defenders in the NBA.

Hawgndaaz

PBev was great. I was in school when he was here and he loved his hogs. Pelphrey was an absolute moron of a coach.

I don't blame anything on the players from that era one bit. They had little guidance.