Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I REALLY want to know...the most overrated college football player EVER?

Started by Burnt Orange Sucks, May 06, 2006, 05:46:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: oldbooniehog on May 06, 2006, 11:25:16 pm
Well, since all my other picks have already been taken, I want to throw out a name that's not on the list  yet.

Andre Ware.

oldbooniehog
Actually he has
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

dana caldwell

archie griffin. yep, he was good, but not two heismans good (the last to do it; not sure if the only to do it). not close in my mind.

anthony davis (USC) was a much better back and should've been heismaned when griffin got his second. i'll never forget his performance against ND when the trojans trailed 28-0 at the half. davis returned the second half kickoff and scored, i think, six TDs in that second half. the guy was amazing.

Burnt Orange Sucks

TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

dana caldwell

navyhog24

akili smith or however you spell it...former qb from oregon
kijana carter, rashan salaam, curtis enis, ryan leaf. i wanna put phil rivers on here but he's had to play behind drew brees. he gets his chance finally. chris simms. charles rogers. joey harrington. this will get a few differences but i also have to say herschel walker. with all the hype he got out college. he never measured to it in the nfl. ricky williams,  he had like 2 good seasons. bo jackson, same as herschel walker.

hogfancb

navyhog24

RhodeHog

dishhog10

Lets band together and back BP

Franchise_Hog

Maurice Clarett - overrated, overhyped, whatever you want to call it

razorbrock

Rick Mirer
Heath Shuler
Danny Wuerffel
Desmond Howard - good return man but had "stone hands" as a wr--a heisman winner should perform better in the nfl
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

Burnt Orange Sucks

razorbrock

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 07, 2006, 10:07:55 am
kijana carter, rashan salaam, curtis enis, ryan leaf. i wanna put phil rivers on here but he's had to play behind drew brees. he gets his chance finally. chris simms. charles rogers. joey harrington. this will get a few differences but i also have to say herschel walker. with all the hype he got out college. he never measured to it in the nfl. ricky williams,  he had like 2 good seasons. bo jackson, same as herschel walker.

I disagree about Bo Jackson.  He was an incredible RB in the NFL, but a hip injury essentially ended his NFL and MLB career.  I guess you could label him a bust if major injuries count in this discussion.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: razorbrock on May 07, 2006, 11:24:23 am
Quote from: navyhog24 on May 07, 2006, 10:07:55 am

I disagree about Bo Jackson.  He was an incredible RB in the NFL, but a hip injury essentially ended his NFL and MLB career.  I guess you could label him a bust if major injuries count in this discussion.

I disagree about Bo Jackson as well. He was perhaps the most talent the NFL has ever seen. He had hip problems and was gone but that dude was a STUD. 8)

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

RhodeHog

RebelHawg

Bo Jackson is arguably one of the best athletes to ever play college or professional sports. I consider there to be only a few people to be better athletes than Bo one of which is Jim Thorpe.

DOGALUM

This is easy........Charles Woodson.     Heisman Trophy winner from Michigan.  Beat the elder Manning brother out for it.  Made the Heisman, in my mind, a stupid award.  Champ Bailey out of Georgia made ALL of Woodson's numbers look like crap the next year. 

NO WAY was woodson the best player in the NCAAs that year.  NO WAY.   

Now.....if we're talking about college to pro.....that's a tough one.  Mandarich, Leaf, Boz, Ki-Jana Carter, Rashan Salaam, the list goes on and on......
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

By the way...........Bo Jackson was absolutely the greatest athlete I've ever seen or known of.  Simply amazing!!!     IMO

clemensrules01

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 06, 2006, 08:54:32 pm
Y'all are gonna hate me for this,  but I'm gonna say Cedric Cobbs. 
For 2 seasons we squandered carries on Cobbs that should have gone to Fred Talley.  He was always the better back.

Now go ahead and beat me up.
cobbs, when healthy, was much better than talley. talley was a better player in the long run because he wasnt always injured like cobbs.

zwhogfan

I have to say in the past 10 years, Maurice Clarett, Peter Warrick, and I am surprised no one has listed Tim Couch... he was just a product of the system at Kentucky.

bigred7987

Quote from: dana caldwell on May 07, 2006, 09:21:31 am
archie griffin. yep, he was good, but not two heismans good (the last to do it; not sure if the only to do it). not close in my mind.

anthony davis (USC) was a much better back and should've been heismaned when griffin got his second. i'll never forget his performance against ND when the trojans trailed 28-0 at the half. davis returned the second half kickoff and scored, i think, six TDs in that second half. the guy was amazing.
Didn't Jason White win 2 heismans? or he finish 2nd in the last one

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: DOGALUM on May 07, 2006, 12:22:46 pm
This is easy........Charles Woodson.     Heisman Trophy winner from Michigan.  Beat the elder Manning brother out for it.  Made the Heisman, in my mind, a stupid award.  Champ Bailey out of Georgia made ALL of Woodson's numbers look like crap the next year. 

NO WAY was woodson the best player in the NCAAs that year.  NO WAY.   

Now.....if we're talking about college to pro.....that's a tough one.  Mandarich, Leaf, Boz, Ki-Jana Carter, Rashan Salaam, the list goes on and on......

Charles Woodson winning the Heisman was a joke, and was not the best college player that year!

Adam Stokes

hogman64

Restricting this question to arkansas .......I would say the two Garys

DOGALUM

Quote from: hogman64 on May 07, 2006, 12:40:10 pm
Restricting this question to arkansas .......I would say the two Garys
If it's just Arkansas......I'll go with Tyrone Henry.

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: Burnt Orange Sucks on May 07, 2006, 09:02:49 am
Quote from: scb12 on May 07, 2006, 08:30:46 am
Is this the most overrated COLLEGE player ever?  Or college to NFL player? 

Because most of these guys were awesome in college...

Crouch, for one, was a beast. 
College to NFL

Then it should have been titled...Great College Players that were major Busts in the NFL.

Terry Baker, Heisman Trophy winner, Oregon State
Gary Beban, Heisman Trophy winner, UCLA
John Huarte, Heisman Trophy winner, N.D.
Steve Spurrier, Heisman Trophy winner, Florida
Steve Owens, Heisman Trophy winner, OU
Pat Sullivan, Heisman Trophy winner, Auburn
Johnny Rodgers, Heisman Trophy winner, Nebraska
John Capelletti, Heisman Trophy winner, Penn State
Archie Griffin, Heisman Trophy winner, Ohio State
Charles White, Heisman Trophy winner, USC
George Rogers, Heisman Trophy winner, So. Carolina
Herschel Walker, Heisman Trophy winner, Georgia
Mike Rozier, Heisman Trophy winner, Nebraska
Andre Ware, Heisman Trophy winner, Houston
Desmond Howard, Heisman Trophy winner, Michigan
Gino Toretta, Heisman Trophy winner, Miami
Rashaan Salaam, Heisman Trophy winner, Colorado
Danny Wuerfel, Heisman Trophy winner, Florida
Ricky Williams, Heisman Trophy winner, Texas
Ron Dayne, Heisman Trophy winner, Wisconsin
Chris Weinke, Heisman Trophy winner, FSU
Eric Crouch, Heisman Trophy winner, Nebraska
Jason White, Heisman Trophy winner, OU

navyhog24

navyhog24

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Hogmania on May 06, 2006, 06:51:48 pm
Houston Nutt

Hardy har har   I bet Homania thought he was the most clever person on this board with that comment... 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

whatsshakinbacon

Burnt Orange Sucks

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on May 07, 2006, 02:31:44 pm

College to NFL

Then it should have been titled...Great College Players that were major Busts in the NFL.

You got lots of time, but that's cool!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: clemensrules01 on May 07, 2006, 12:28:44 pm
Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 06, 2006, 08:54:32 pm
Y'all are gonna hate me for this,  but I'm gonna say Cedric Cobbs. 
For 2 seasons we squandered carries on Cobbs that should have gone to Fred Talley.  He was always the better back.

Now go ahead and beat me up.
cobbs, when healthy, was much better than talley. talley was a better player in the long run because he wasnt always injured like cobbs.

Not one shred of evidence to support that claim,  and Talley played injured and still performed admirably.  Cobbs never materialized past the hype.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

devildog

The first name that popped into my head was Steve Owens
Ran behind a huge OU line against measley teams like Kansas and Colorado were back in those days.

Maybe lasted a season in the NFL

afhogfan1980

lol
Quote from: Burnt Orange Sucks on May 07, 2006, 04:37:06 pm
Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on May 07, 2006, 02:31:44 pm

College to NFL

You got lots of time, but that's cool!
desmond howard atleast won the superbowl mvp
"Even Lance Armstrong Won Without a Nutt"

Skip Foreplay

Only Archie Griffin has won 2.
Quote from: bigred7987 on May 07, 2006, 12:30:25 pm
Quote from: dana caldwell on May 07, 2006, 09:21:31 am

Didn't Jason White win 2 heismans? or he finish 2nd in the last one

Theolesnort

Quote from: razorbrock on May 06, 2006, 06:43:19 pm
ron powlus was supposed to win 8 heismans at notre dame under holtz--instead his play triggered a ND slide that for the most part continued until this past season save Ty's first year
Ditto
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

DirectorM

I agree with Chris Simms.  He was never the best QB in his team, but yet got to play because of pedigree and his physical build.  Same is going on with him in the NFL right now.  I know he isn't the Most Overrated ever, but at least in the last few years.

Razorhogs

Cresthog

Darnell Robinson...oh wait..football

ok well in that case

Brashears

Razorback0918

Burnt Orange Sucks

Burnt Orange Sucks

bigyellowdog

dana caldwell

"I agree with Chris Simms.  He was never the best QB in his team, but yet got to play because of pedigree and his physical build.  Same is going on with him in the NFL right now.  I know he isn't the Most Overrated ever, but at least in the last few years."

this is way wrong. second part, anyway. i cover the bucs. gruden and company are sky-high on him for great reasons (as now are most who cover the league). he's a super hard worker, super smart, very humble, a true team leader the guys actually like and respect, can move and think on the run and has a rocket arm.

he got his shot, remember, bc brian griese was broken last season. all sims did was lead the bucs -- with not that many good receiving options -- to the nfc south (delhomme, vick, culpepper's division) in what was supposed to be a down year.

hogfan064

I think the name of this thread should be college players who were busts in the NFL.  Because guys like Archie Griffin, Hershal Walker, and George Rogers were great college players. 

T2 RZB

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 08, 2006, 09:05:14 am
I think the name of this thread should be college players who were busts in the NFL. 

Art Schlichter