Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the memorable "shot" in Razorback History?

Started by corndo, March 14, 2006, 12:51:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhog

Quote from: lilpiggy on March 14, 2006, 02:35:20 pm
any place on the net where u can see these, i would like to show them to my son
http://oinkville.tripod.com/content.html   scroll down to the last where it says video's.  thats where the u.s. reed shot is  anyway.

Yoko Oinko

"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

Broken Trigger

I have to agree with everyone that says Thurman's shot was definitely the most important, but Reed's shot was most memorable.  Both were so great in each instance.  Balentine's and Mayberry's also were great.  The thing that sticks out to me about the US Reed shot is that as a kid i remember when we played basketball during that era, we all wanted to be Reed.  He has become an icon in Razorback sports, in large part to that shot.  We got used to Scotty, Lee, Pat Bradley, and Al Dillard making tons of threes, but US Reed was remembered for "the" shot. 

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorbackRick on March 14, 2006, 07:33:58 pm
I have to agree with everyone that says Thurman's shot was definitely the most important, but Reed's shot was most memorable.  Both were so great in each instance.  Balentine's and Mayberry's also were great.  The thing that sticks out to me about the US Reed shot is that as a kid i remember when we played basketball during that era, we all wanted to be Reed.  He has become an icon in Razorback sports, in large part to that shot.  We got used to Scotty, Lee, Pat Bradley, and Al Dillard making tons of threes, but US Reed was remembered for "the" shot. 

I remember as a kid watching that Louisville game.  When they made that shot I fell on the floor.  5 seconds left and I was so mad.  I got up and walked over to the t.v. to turn if off, but my dad and older brother wouldn't let me turn if off.  So I stood there waiting for the time to run out so I could switch it off because I didn't want to see the celebration by the UL team.  When Reed only got to half court I felt like screaming...then when he let it go I reached for the switch on the T.V.  When the ball went through the hoop I again dropped to my knees...I couldn't believe it.  Then I jumped up and down and screamed.  For months after I practiced my half court shot...and everytime I would shoot I would yell, "U.S. Reeeeeeed"

Yeah, that is the most memorable for me.
Retired Radio Host

HoopS

There is no right or wrong.  I'm 34 and the US Reed shot is precisely where my basketball memories began.

WichitaStateRazorback

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 07:55:29 pm
There is no right or wrong.  I'm 34 and the US Reed shot is precisely where my basketball memories began.

Yep...36 here...and the triplets are my first memory.
Retired Radio Host

EastexHawg

U.S. Reed's shot was the most stunning.  It wasn't unusual for Scotty Thurman to make a three pointer... but it was definitely a shocker for U.S. Reed to knock the defending national champions out of the tournament on a shot from half court at the buzzer.

U.S. Reed's shot is the most memorable for me.  Lee Mayberry's shot against Texas in the Strollin' Nolan game also ranks up there.  The comeback the Hogs made to get to OT in that game was unbelievable.  Texas seemingly had that game wrapped up...and then they didn't.  Once it got to overtime, the Hogs weren't going to lose it.

I think Nolan thought that game was over, too.  In fact, I'm sure he thought it was over.  The officiating was so crooked I would have wanted to walk off the court that day, too.  Since he thought the game was over, Nolan did it.  He almost looked embarrassed when he came back for OT.

Albert Einswine

I was 15 years old and had long since been baptized into the Assembly of Hog when Reed hit that shot!  It is by far the most memorable shot for me.  We were done, cooked, the game was over!  I will never forget the jubilation I felt when that thing ripped net!  We advanced, the defending NCAA champs went home.  Thurmans shot was great, gave us the cushion we needed at the end, but did not give us the certain victory in the way that Reed's shot did.  I guess for me, you just had to be there!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BentonvilleJeff

Scotty's shot wasn't a last second one on the game clock but it was a last second shot on the shot clock. Put it up with one second to shoot.

Josef

zwhogfan

lyon98

When Thurman made that shot I yelled "the Hogs are the smarter team." Puke dook  :puke:
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

RedSatinHog

Three of them will always stand out with me.  They're in no particular order, and I know that at least one of them I have mentioned a few times already:

1.  The U.S. Reed shot against Louisville in the NCAA tourney game at Austin, TX.  I had just walked into the old Harvey's service station in Des Arc when Bryant Gumbel of NBC (yes, they covered the NCAA tourney at the time) broke away to cover the final seconds of the game.

2.  Sidney Moncrief's shot to beat Texas Tech in Lubbock for a share of the regular season SWC title in '79.  Moncrief took the pass and dribbled out to the top of the key.  Guarded by 3 TTU defenders, he managed to get all three defenders in the air with a double pump fake, before calmly sinking the shot at the buzzer.

3.  Ron Brewer's buzzer beater in the Final Four consolation game against Notre Dame in '78 at St. Louis.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Dwight_K_Shrute

The shots Latourette took the weekend before the MSU game in 98.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PigInGulfport

Quote from: bhuie on March 14, 2006, 01:03:22 pm
Here's my top 5:

(1) US Reed's half-court shot to win against Louisville in the NCAAT
(2) Thurman's 3-pointer to put the Hogs ahead for good in the NC game against Duke
(3) Brewer's shot to beat Notre Dame in the Final 4 consolation game in '78
(4) Mayberry's 3-pointer to force overtime at Texas
(5) Balentine's baseline jumper to beat #1 UNC in Pine Bluff

That's a pretty good list of exciting and meaningful shots...

:razorback:

Agree!!!!!
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

fusbal11

come on guys---Reed's shot was great , but Thurmans won an NC--no comp
WPS!
Wooo Pig

Tejano Jawg

Great topic...great choices.

Even though the shot didn't end the game (as in a last-second shot), everyone knew Scotty's 3 won that game for us. That one has to be the biggest.

As for US Reed...one reason he was truly one of the greats, not just for Arkansas, but just as a college player...he won SEVERAL games in the last second. Next to the fame of the Louisville half-court shot, was one against Texas. The ball was only about a few inches out of his hands when the clock went to zero. Any win against the Horns, in any sport, deserves to be on the list.

Yes, Ballantine and Brewer...great. Also a distant honorable mention, Darryl Walker hit a game winner against Texas A+M...my freshman year living in Yocum Hall. The game was on the radio...right after he hit it, everyone ran into the hall yelling and freaking out. The whole place was crazy.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

HoopS

March 15, 2006, 11:39:30 am #68 Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:47:05 am by hoophogs
Memorable is something that is an individual thing. 

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I remember more of the circumstances before, during and after the US Reed shot than I can all the other "shots" combined. 

Winning the title was the greatest moment to me.  Thurman's shot will never be forgotten but for me, I can tell you way more details about the other and it occured a decade earlier.

HoopS

Tusks

All of them were great.  The shot against ND by Brewer let Arkansas walk away from its first final four in 30 yrs. feeling like they'd arrived.

Balentines was huge because they beat the #1 team in the country....something I'm not sure they'd don before.

Scotty's shot WON a NC....that's as big as it gets.

But Reed's shot was fricken amazing....I guess it stands out to me because I was in school at the UA and springbreak had just started.  I stayed around that first weekend because of a late test and a few of us wanted to hang and watch the tourney before we all headed home.  Great times.

Of courese the next weekend we got rolled by LSU in the sweet 16.  Who the Hogs had beaten in the Alaska shootout at the start of the season.  I think LSU went to the final four that year....can someone verify.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

secthumper

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 14, 2006, 03:26:58 pm
Quote from: hoophogs on March 14, 2006, 03:21:53 pm
Seems like we had a bunch of last second shots in the Alvin, Darrel and Joe days.

I think it was Kleine (but may have been Hastings) who hit a baseline jumper vs Phi Slamma Jamma in Barnhill with about 4 seconds left it seems like to win once. 

Dwight Stewart's halfcourt shot vs UNC at the end of the half in the 95 F4 was huge.

JP showed highlights from their 20 years and one was Scotty draining about a 25 ft shot at the end to beat LSU in BR like 106-105.

Hastings over the outstretched hand of Olajuwon
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

ridgeback

All the shots the Hogs D gave the Texas QB's in the 2000 Cotton Bowl!!!  Then the sign Houston shot at the crowd after the game.

TorsinAHog

Scotty's shot was my most memorable. It was my 21st birthday and of course we were at BWA watching with the rest of the students then celebrated on dixon and woke up a few days later.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Pigonometry

Hastings hit the shot over Akeem at Barnhill to beat the Cougars and deny them a perfect SWC season.  I remember because for some reason, Channel 7 lost the feed and came back on just after he made it..............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: nutted on March 15, 2006, 12:07:48 pm
All of them were great.  The shot against ND by Brewer let Arkansas walk away from its first final four in 30 yrs. feeling like they'd arrived.

Balentines was huge because they beat the #1 team in the country....something I'm not sure they'd don before.

Scotty's shot WON a NC....that's as big as it gets.

But Reed's shot was fricken amazing....I guess it stands out to me because I was in school at the UA and springbreak had just started.  I stayed around that first weekend because of a late test and a few of us wanted to hang and watch the tourney before we all headed home.  Great times.

Of courese the next weekend we got rolled by LSU in the sweet 16.  Who the Hogs had beaten in the Alaska shootout at the start of the season.  I think LSU went to the final four that year....can someone verify.

Yes, LSU went to the final four at the Spectrum in Philadelphia and lost in the semifinal to Indiana.  That was the year Isiah Thomas led Indiana to the title, and also the scene of one of Bobby Knight's most infamous encounters--the famed "Tiger Bait" incident leaving his hotel.

Tmac813

March 16, 2006, 10:20:24 am #77 Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 03:52:43 am by Tmac813
The U.S. Reed shot to me is the most memorable.  At my age, the tradition of Razorback Basketball was in it's infancy.  I'm partial anyway, because U.S. Reed is my favorite Razorback Baller of all time.  The guy was 6'2" and could jump out of the gym.  He could play 3 positions on the court. PG, SG SF.  I actually seen him start at forward one night.  Back in  those days Razorback games were not always live.  KATV would tape delay them.  My brother and I would stay up late calling the hogs, even after we knew the hogs had played.  I also know that he was crucial as a Freshman guard during that 1978 final four run, he also had one of the most critical plays in college basketball history.  The next year 1979 if I remember we played Indiana State in the elite Eight.  Had the ball with less than a minute left.  One of the Indiana State players tripped U.S. Reed and the official called a travel, which gave them the ball back and led to Bob Heaton's in probable left-handed leaning layup in the last seconds of the game, denying us a second consecutive trip to the Final four.  The reason why I'm saying "critical" is because that called changed the rule in College BB to have a traveling call when a player loses their footing.  If anyone gets the chance to watch that 1979 Arkansas vs.  Indiana St. game on classic watch it.  One of the greatest regional finals ever played IMHO.  I know I"m rambling, but the topic brought back all of the fun memories I have of watch Hawball as a kid...  U.S. Reed #24 the number I wore playing H.S. BB and in pick up games.  Thanks to whoever sent that link.  Man that brought back some memories.  I hope everyone remembers those old SWC days and the arenas that were played in.  If I'm not mistaken that is the SuperDrum in Austin.  Oh, I think U.S. Reed and the Hogs were on the cover of that week's Sports Illustrated.  Help me out historians, but I think the title was "Hey you'd be Hogwild too" >

PIGINAPOKE

The shot of  getting to a BSC bowl still hurts..
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

jabohog

Quote from: bhuie on March 14, 2006, 01:03:22 pm
Here's my top 5:

(1) US Reed's half-court shot to win against Louisville in the NCAAT
(2) Thurman's 3-pointer to put the Hogs ahead for good in the NC game against Duke
(3) Brewer's shot to beat Notre Dame in the Final 4 consolation game in '78
(4) Mayberry's 3-pointer to force overtime at Texas
(5) Balentine's baseline jumper to beat #1 UNC in Pine Bluff

That's a pretty good list of exciting and meaningful shots...

:razorback:
I think it was Delph that hit that shot in #3.

murray-vegas

Most memorable in my mind growing up were 3 shots.

Reed v Louisville, even more memorable because it was for 2, not 3 kiddies. If you was a kid during this time, you went out and tried this shot a few hundred times and yelled "Reed" while you threw it.

"Carolina Killa", I couldn't understand why UNC refused to goto LR or Fayetteville but agreed that Pine Bluff was okay. I thought it was funny when I met him later in life and the first thing I thought of was the shot, not the work I was suppose to be doing.

Moncrief dunk against Texas, not much of a shot but as a kid I got every Arkansas SI cover and this was my favorite photo. High on the Hogs.

hog caller

thanks Uncle for the reference to the U. S. Reed shot 25 years or no it was a doozy.

sorry to be so late with the reply but have been in Branson the last three days.

stronguard

It was pretty meaningless, but the first one that comes to mind is Al Dillard from the Hogs snout.  Corliss going over Montross in the 93 tourney is a good one too.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

RedSatinHog

Quote"I hope everyone remembers those old SWC days and the arenas that were played in.  If I'm not mistaken that is the SuperDrum in Austin."

Yep.  G. Rollie White (A&M), Moody Court (SMU), Daniel Meyer Coliseum (TCU), Heart of America Coliseum (Baylor), Autry Court (Rice), Hofheinz Pavilion (Houston), Erwin Special Events Center ("Big Drum", Texas), and of course, BARNHILL ARENA!!!

For whatever reason, I cannot remember what the name of the arenas was where Texas Tech played at. ???

Lando Calrissian

I really love Lee Mayberry's 25 foot bomb to send the game into overtime against Texas.

But it really doesn't get much better than Scotty's shot against Duke, does it...
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

SloppinItandLovnIt

One shot that I always remember was that shot Dwight "piggy" Stewart hit right before the half against Kentucky when he chunked it from well behind the half court line and swished it in. I think that gave us alot of motivation when we beat Kentucky at the Bud.
Welcome to Arkansas, well if there is nothing to bitch about we will just make something up.

hogtheball

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 17, 2006, 02:30:47 am
Quote"I hope everyone remembers those old SWC days and the arenas that were played in.  If I'm not mistaken that is the SuperDrum in Austin."

Yep.  G. Rollie White (A&M), Moody Court (SMU), Daniel Meyer Coliseum (TCU), Heart of America Coliseum (Baylor), Autry Court (Rice), Hofheinz Pavilion (Houston), Erwin Special Events Center ("Big Drum", Texas), and of course, BARNHILL ARENA!!!

For whatever reason, I cannot remember what the name of the arenas was where Texas Tech played at. ???

I think they played in Lubbock Municipal Coliseum.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HDale

U.S. Reed....
Not even close.
This shot was labeled as "The shot heard around the world". 
Scotty's was big, but not as big.
You had to see it to understand. All of you young pups out there will have to take Paw Paw's word on this one.
I will always hate the Dork

SloppinItandLovnIt

I wouldn't say it's necessarly the most memorable , but it sticks out in my mind because it motivated us to beat Kentucky in Bud was that Dwight Stewart 3/4 court bomb at the end of the half.
Welcome to Arkansas, well if there is nothing to bitch about we will just make something up.

blake

Quote from: hogsanity on March 14, 2006, 12:53:08 pm
Charles Ballentine sinking one on the baseline in Pine Bluff against the # NC Tarjheels with Michael jordan as a Freshman.  How many times have the Hogs beaten the #1 team?  Case closed!
I agree.

TransAmHawg

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 14, 2006, 01:00:03 pm
Most important, Thurman. 
Most memoriable to me is U. S. Reed.

Balentine's shot ranks highly.

Dittos
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

Quote from: HoopSlap on March 14, 2006, 01:00:03 pm
Most important, Thurman. 
Most memoriable to me is U. S. Reed.

Balentine's shot ranks highly.
I think you are right on. The Thurman shot was incredible, but winning an NCAA tourney game on a mid court shot (played at Texas) is pretty darn unforgetable.

Calvin N Hawgs

I remember thinking the game was OVER.  We didn't have enough time to get off a decent shot.  U.S. Reed dribbled to the right side of the floor and just hits half-court and launches. 

I was a Junior in HS and remember it so well. 

I'll agree that the Thurman shot was the most important, but for the sheer adrenaline rush, I have to go with the Reed shot.

Uncle Tusk

Charles Ballentine sinking one on the baseline in Pine Bluff against the # NC Tarjheels with Michael jordan as a Freshman.  How many times have the Hogs beaten the #1 team?  Case closed!

I totally agree.  I was there and couldn't talk for 3 days.  One of the all-time best atmospheres for a Hog game of anykind.

ozarkhog

U.S. Reed, I can still remember watching that shot leave his hands.
Thurman's was excellent as a runner up.
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

alaback

Ok, Scotty Thurman was the most important shot, but the most memorable for those people in that age demographic has to go to U.S. Reed.  I don't remember much about the game as I was 10 years old, but the shot, I will never forget. 

Didn't Brad Friess shoot something like 33% from the line?  I think some missed free throws late by Friess set up the situation where Louisville scored and we only had 5 seconds to go length of the court.  U.S. just seemed like he was walking it up, and then the heave... dagger in the heart of the defending champs.

I also think Jordan was a junior when the Ballentine shot happened.  Wasn't that game in Pine Bluff played in 1984?  That was MJ's last year in college.

jamie72921

Scotty Thurman's shot to win it all.

US Reed naturally.

That dude from Indiana St. who made the left handed prayer against us in 79.

Scotty Thurman to beat Kentucky at Bud Walton.
Bless your heart

BigDeal

Ron Brewer's shot at the last second to beat Norte Dame in the '78 final four (for third place), or so they say.

whatsshakinbacon

Oh I still remember Dean Smith's scowl when our fan waved the pompon at him when he exited the building.  What a great game.

Bacon out...

MCPeePants

Reed's was the most memorable.

Thurman's was the most important.