Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rod Barnes Has Been Fired

Started by Shawn, March 03, 2006, 05:43:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Just came out. Class act but couldn't win.

Shawn

Bob Huggins name has surfaced as a possible replacement along with Mike Anderson.

GO

Hopefully Huggins, I would love playing him every year!!!

Hate it for Barnes, Good guy, good coach, just couldn't get it done.

Did they say if they were keeping him around in any other capacity at the U. He being an alum, Sometimes they just reassign the coach!!

GO

WILL CLINTON

Wasn't Barnes and Nolan good friends?  I wouldn't be surprised for his name to come up. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

thehill1414

Poor Barnes, great Christian guy, I really liked him. His teams were always very physical, but undersized. Ole Miss is a tough place to win at, with the kind of facilities they have. Plus he is always recruiting against Miss St. for the states best prospects. I wish him the best.

Shawn

Good question GO, looks like he will not be with the university in any capacity.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Why now?  With one game left and the tournament.  They're not going to win anything.  Let him finish the last 2 games in dignity.

hawkeyefan17

I don't know much about him but he always seemed like a good guy. He had some good years at Ole Miss. I bet he gets a job somewhere if he wants it.

lyon98

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on March 03, 2006, 06:01:41 pm
Why now?  With one game left and the tournament.  They're not going to win anything.  Let him finish the last 2 games in dignity.

A MIssissippi paper said it was wrong to postpone it, if it was a done deal. Not doing it now could lead him and people to believe success in the sec or other tournament would allow him to stay.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Boarcephus

This is taylormade for Nolan.  Wonder if he'll get a look or is he damaged goods?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Olive Branch Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 03, 2006, 06:14:43 pm
This is taylormade for Nolan.  Wonder if he'll get a look or is he damaged goods?

This was discussed on George Lapides' radio show here in Memphis earlier in the week.  Their opinion was that granted Nolan was a great coach, but the biggest concern was whether he would be the pre 1995 Nolan, or the post 1995 Nolan.  The general consensus was he was too big a risk.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Olive Branch Hog on March 03, 2006, 06:18:06 pm
This was discussed on George Lapides' radio show here in Memphis earlier in the week.  Their opinion was that granted Nolan was a great coach, but the biggest concern was whether he would be the pre 1995 Nolan, or the post 1995 Nolan.  The general consensus was he was too big a risk.

For what reasons?  Too old or wouldn't be able to fire him?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Porquemada

I'd imagine there would be at least two games a season in which Nolan would be "Pre 1995 Nolan".

4thdownnutt

I guess he wil be abel to say his last win was against Arkansas.

BigHog396

Lord, please let them hire Nolan.  I would love to have 2 guaranteed W's every year.  The man lost his head after the title, and then the NCAA investigation.  He can talk all he wants, but once the NCAA cracked down on hand-checking he couldn't get the job done.  As much as I loved watching the old 40 minutes of hell, he couldn't adjust to the fact that the NCAA decided to actually call a foul a foul.

sowmonella

If they got Huggins, they would have the 2 sleaziest coaches in Div 1. I'm smelling the NCAA putting a branch office in Oxford.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

msudawgs64

Quote from: sowmonella on March 03, 2006, 07:31:03 pm
If they got Huggins, they would have the 2 sleaziest coaches in Div 1. I'm smelling the NCAA putting a branch office in Oxford.

lol, and I bet they would schedule Southern Miss every year in BB. Nothing like two drunks coaching and chasing sorority girls after the game. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

whatsshakinbacon

Ole Miss - the capital of media-reported race problems.  The confederate flag as part of its symbol.  This school has zero possibility of going after Nolan after the problems he caused Arkansas.  They don't need any race issues.

Bacon out...

ballhog™

Barnes' teams always played tough man to man defense.  Never gave up an uncontested layup.  I'd say he got the most out of their talent.  It seems every time I saw them, they played with maximum effort.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

SiriusHog™

its so funny.. when the hogs were losing, it was "heath's a GREAT guy, but they should FIRE HIS ASS NOW!!" now its, "Barnes is a great guy, thats too bad"

PiggoBitttys

That is the way it is. If this were our coach, nobody would give a crap whether he was nice or not(including me). And neither does Ole Miss. It all comes down to winning. When it's your school, it's business, when it's someone else's school that we don't care if they win or not, you might miss the nice guys.

Olive Branch Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 03, 2006, 06:21:53 pm

For what reasons?  Too old or wouldn't be able to fire him?

They felt that his recruiting would resemble the last few years at Arkansas, and also alluded to the fact the he might be a PR nightmare.   To be fair and accurate, they listed his name recognition, coaching track record, and proximity to Memphis as reasons they felt he could succeed.   Age was mentioned as a factor also.

PigKahuna

Huggins and Oregeron could have a good time out hitting the bars.

4thdownnutt

and whats wrong with  the confederate flag?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: dubyacee on March 03, 2006, 05:49:48 pm
Wasn't Barnes and Nolan good friends?  I wouldn't be surprised for his name to come up. 

Nolan Richardson + Ole Miss = The End Times Are Here
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on March 03, 2006, 08:51:24 pm
That is the way it is. If this were our coach, nobody would give a crap whether he was nice or not(including me). And neither does Ole Miss. It all comes down to winning. When it's your school, it's business, when it's someone else's school that we don't care if they win or not, you might miss the nice guys.

I don't think so.  Unlike Arkansas, Ole Miss is high on hiring and sticking with alums.  I think Rob Evans was the first non-Ole Miss grad to be the head basketball coach.  Being an Ole Miss alum and all around good-guy has helped Barnes last this long, I think.

I hate it, but it had to happen.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 03, 2006, 08:25:10 pm
Ole Miss - the capital of media-reported race problems.  The confederate flag as part of its symbol.  This school has zero possibility of going after Nolan after the problems he caused Arkansas.  They don't need any race issues.

Bacon out...

The rebel flag isn't a part of any official school symbol.  I haven't seen one at a ball game in a long time.

whatsshakinbacon

March 03, 2006, 09:42:51 pm #28 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:44:43 pm by whatsshakinbacon
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 03, 2006, 09:42:37 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 03, 2006, 08:25:10 pm

Bacon out...

The rebel flag isn't a part of any official school symbol.  I haven't seen one at a ball game in a long time.

Quote from: 4thdownnutt on March 03, 2006, 09:38:17 pm

The connotation of enslavery and the media vs. Ole Miss brawl that ensued a few years back left Ole Miss a bit sensitive to race relations.

Bacon out...

SiriusHog™

March 03, 2006, 09:43:06 pm #29 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:48:18 pm by WarRazorbacks

it symbolizes racism and the enslavement of african americans in the south....welcome to the 20th century...hick..

Porquemada

It's in the state flag of the state in which the Simpson's Springfield is located. 

lyon98

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 03, 2006, 09:41:12 pm

I don't think so.  Unlike Arkansas, Ole Miss is high on hiring and sticking with alums.  I think Rob Evans was the first non-Ole Miss grad to be the head basketball coach.  Being an Ole Miss alum and all around good-guy has helped Barnes last this long, I think.

Surely you remember Bob Weltlick. Then there was  Hubbard, Walton, Sullivan, Head, Walker, Bohler, Johnson, Hale, Whitley, Hunt and Murphy.  I am not sure but I don't think any of them went to ole miss. Weltlick didn't, Hale went to mississippi college, where the rest went I don't know. None are listed as ole miss basketball lettermen.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: lyon98 on March 03, 2006, 10:16:29 pm

Surely you remember Bob Weltlick. Then there was  Hubbard, Walton, Sullivan, Head, Walker, Bohler, Johnson, Hale, Whitley, Hunt and Murphy.  I am not sure but I don't think any of them went to ole miss. Weltlick didn't, Hale went to mississippi college, where the rest went I don't know. None are listed as ole miss basketball lettermen.

Didn't Weltlich coach for a spell at Texas?

Bacon out...

big boes

personally i like when mike anderson gets mention for more high-profile jobs.  he's a good coach and has done a phenomenal job at uab.  but i hope he doesn't end up at ole miss.  i would not be excited about playing against his teams twice a year.

RazorRunner

Quote from: thehill1414 on March 03, 2006, 05:51:35 pm
Poor Barnes, great Christian guy, I really liked him. His teams were always very physical, but undersized. Ole Miss is a tough place to win at, with the kind of facilities they have. Plus he is always recruiting against Miss St. for the states best prospects...
... and Arkansas (Al Jefferson, Charles Thomas, Cyrus McGowan).

Dwight_K_Shrute

Mike A could do better than Ole Miss.  They had decent success under Evans and Barnes but nothing overly spectacular.  If Ole Miss isn't the worst BBall coaching job in the SEC I would say it is in the bottom 3, when you look at tradition, track record, facilities (or lack thereof) and fan support.  They aren't going to pay the coach that much either.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

stronguard

Who is the Delta State coach, he might be interested.  They always seem to have a top notch BBall program in Div 2 and he obviously has ties to Mississippi recruiting.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

toshortrock

is he going to be pulling a nolan?
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Lokirain

I saw this one coming. Coach Barnes will get another job, but Ole Miss is a tough place to recruit. All instaters wanna go to MSU.

Hawgin84

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on March 03, 2006, 10:18:54 pm
Quote from: lyon98 on March 03, 2006, 10:16:29 pm

Didn't Weltlich coach for a spell at Texas?

Bacon out...

Yes, he did.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ccall on March 03, 2006, 05:43:07 pm
Just came out. Class act but couldn't win.

He would make a great addition to our staff in terms of teaching rebounding and hard nosed D- something his teams were known for and Heath's are not...

Dwight_K_Shrute

If Barnes gets a good buyout deal from Ole Miss he should sit out a year and enjoy life, but if he wants to get back to coaching right away I think he would make an excellent associate/assistant head for a program like ours or could probably land a decent HC job at a lesser school.

A-State should really can the other Nutt, he has run his course there.  Barnes would be an excellent candidate for that job and would probably do well.  He has a great track record recruiting Arkansas, and for them to get an SEC coach would be a big coup.  Plus his buyout from Ole Miss would probably pay him the difference in pay.  It's a win win.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

4thdownnutt

symbolizes racism and enslavement --  no no  Its a beautiful flag that is all  things good about life.  I fly I every REL birthday.  You know the father of  our country.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 04, 2006, 09:15:49 am
If Barnes gets a good buyout deal from Ole Miss he should sit out a year and enjoy life, but if he wants to get back to coaching right away I think he would make an excellent associate/assistant head for a program like ours or could probably land a decent HC job at a lesser school.

A-State should really can the other Nutt, he has run his course there.  Barnes would be an excellent candidate for that job and would probably do well.  He has a great track record recruiting Arkansas, and for them to get an SEC coach would be a big coup.  Plus his buyout from Ole Miss would probably pay him the difference in pay.  It's a win win.

I agree--he would be a great hire at stAte.

hogsNbeer

Am I missing something.....I read where he was told this was his last year last week...?  I can't remember where though........ But this has been announced....I just dont' know where...