Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

What School Is D-Line U.?

QuoteUsing the last 15 years of the NFL draft (top three rounds) as a barometer, here is a look at which schools have excelled at producing defensive linemen for the NFL (Note: We used first-round picks to break any ties):

1. Florida State

* The Data: Top-Three Round Picks: 11; First-Round Picks: 5; First Overall Picks: 0.

2. North Carolina

* The Data: Top-Three Round Picks: 10; First-Round Picks: 8; First Overall Picks: 0.

3. LSU

* The Data: Top-Three Round Picks: 10; First-Round Picks: 5; First Overall Picks: 0.

14. Wisconsin

* The Data: Top-Three Round Picks: 5; First-Round Picks: 3; First Overall Picks: 0.

15. Alabama

* The Data: Top-Three Round Picks: 5; First-Round Picks: 1; First Overall Picks: 0.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

DT Dontavius Russell, one of the state of Georgia's top football prospects for 2014, committed to UGa.

http://www.macon.com/2013/04/01/2420657/recruiting-georgia-lands-top-d.html
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Fort Lauderdale defensive tackle Anthony Moten has verbally committed to play for Florida. He's the eighth commitment of the 2014 class for the Gators.

http://www.mrsec.com/category/recruiting/

jbcarol

Dontavius Russell, who is a candidate to be the state's No. 1-ranked defensive tackle for 2014, committed to UGA on Monday.

The 6-foot-3, 310-pounder from Carrollton High School announced on Twitter that he intends to sign with UGA. The 4-star recruit reported around a dozen early scholarship offers, including Alabama, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Florida and Auburn.

"I think it had to do with Coach Richt," Carrollton coach Rayvan Teague told the AJC.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/apr/01/4-star-dt-commits-uga

jbcarol

Matt Elam @FballIsLife69 
Louisville Coach Came In Today And I Have On A UK Sweatshirt Haha

The 6'6″ 342 lbs. defensive tackle from Elizabethtown is considering the Cats, along with Louisville, Alabama, Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky, and also has interest from Florida. Charlie Strong visited Elam at John Hardin High this morning, and the visit got off to a bit of an awkward start...

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=132031

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 23 Apr
RT @elisha_shaw: #Kentucky just offered ///// 4-star DT Elisha Shaw of Tucker, Ga.

jbcarol

ESPN's SEC Football May recruiting scorecard:

ARKANSAS

2014 verbal commitments: 4

Spotlight: Defensive tackle Bijhon Jackson of El Dorado, Ark., is the top player in the state and ranked as the No. 5 defensive tackle nationally. The 6-2, 334-pound Jackson had a strong showing in January at the U.S. Army National Combine.

ESPN 150 members: 1 (Jackson)

Key targets: Defensive tackle Josh Frazier of Springdale, Ark., is being pursued by all the heavyweights, including Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and USC. ESPN 150 prospect Garrald McDowell of Covington, La., is another defensive tackle at the top of the Hogs' board.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/64144/sec-recruiting-scorecard-13

Shoring up the trenches is noted.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ten best high school Defensive linemen coming out of the state of Georgia this season:

QuoteDontavius Russell, Carrollton: Committed to Georgia, Russell (6-3, 300) was a run-stopper for Carrollton's 8-4 team in 2012.

Elisha Shaw, Tucker: 247Sports rates Shaw as the No. 4 player in Georgia and No. 1 defensive tackle.

Chris Williams, Sandy Creek: Williams had 17 tackles for losses and 11 sacks for the Class AAAA championship team. Despite being undersized in terms of height (6-0, 285), Williams has offers from Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, Kentucky and others.

The majority of the ten project to play DE in college.

jbcarol

SB Nation Recruiting ‏@SBNRecruiting 24 May
Did Alabama accept? To which coach did you commit? 6'2, 310 DT RT @juicemane318: Just Committed to the university of alabama ! 🐘 #rolltide

Followup to various articles that some Bama offers are non-committable.

OJ Smith is a 6-2, 330, 5.4-rated '14 DT from Bossier City Airline.

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 12h
RT @rebels247: 2014 DT Jamiyus Pittman reports #Arkansas #Razorbacks offered today. http://247sports.com/Player/Jamiyus-Pittman-23886 ... /// Georgia DT

'14 6-2, 280 Moultrie DT.  Offers from UF, Miami, Ole Miss, etc.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 9h
Commit! Colquitt Co (Ga) DT Jamiyus Pittman says he's headed to Ole Miss

jbcarol

Johnny Dwight, a 6-foot-2, 275-pound prospect from Wilcox County High School, is the Tide's 9th commitment for the class of 2014 and made the commitment while visiting Tuscaloosa for the Tide's summer football camp.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/06/georgia_defensive_tackle_johnn.html

A three-star, Dwight has an offer from LSU and is Bama's second DT commit in the class.

jbcarol

Johnny Dwight, a 6-foot-2, 275-pound prospect from Wilcox County High School, is the Tide's 9th commitment for the class of 2014 and made the commitment while visiting Tuscaloosa for the Tide's summer football camp.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/06/georgia_defensive_tackle_johnn.html

A three-star, Dwight has an offer from LSU and is Bama's second DT commit in the class.

jbcarol

Gary Pinkel happy with his defensive line

The key for this line is that it has to be able to rotate as much as it did last season. There are bodies to do it, and it will obviously help keep guys fresh. It will also help if the offense generates more production next season, because this line wore down last year, even with its rotation, because it was on the field so much.

"It's a league where you've got to be good up front," Pinkel said. "The league we came from you had to be the same way, but the thing in is this league is there are more good teams."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/64926/gary-pinkel-happy-with-his-defensive-line

jbcarol

Matt Elam: The Next Mt. Cody

QuoteCrimson Tide coaches got a look last week at a player who could soon join that list -- Elizabethtown (Ky.) John Hardin defensive tackle Matt Elam. A three-star prospect according to Rivals.com and a four-star according to 247Sports, Elam reportedly was among the stars of last week's camp in Tuscaloosa -- telling Rivals that Saban told him he is the Crimson Tide's No. 1 target at nose tackle.

"I did real good," Elam said this week. "We did agility drills and one-on-ones. I think I only lost one rep in one-on-ones. It was a good camp."

Elam's Rivals.com profile lists him at 6-foot-6 and 325 pounds, but John Hardin coach Chad Lewis said he's closer to 370 right now -- making the comparisons with Cody inevitable.

"He needs to lose some weight -- his playing weight is 325 -- but his footwork and his quickness is almost unseen for a guy his size," Lewis said. "He knows how to use his leverage and his ability to overpower opponents.

"I'm used to seeing him do that to high school kids in Kentucky, but he was still able to do that against guys his own size (at the Alabama camp). That's when you realize he has special talent and special ability."

Elam, who is in Louisville for a visit this weekend, said his home-state SEC school, Kentucky, is recruiting him the hardest, but added that Alabama, Louisville and Ohio State are also in his top four.

Elam's home town is the same setting for the Cameron Crowe movie with Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst about a man who has suffered recent catastrophic failure visiting a small town to claim the body of his father who grew up and then unexpectedly died there.

When a member of Batesville native Charlie Strong's staff came to John Hardin to visit, Elam had on his Kentucky shirt. Elam later explained that it was a surprise visit.

jbcarol

Ben Garrett ‏@SpiritBen 1h
Three-star DT Chris Williams visited #OleMiss over the weekend. "I'm thinking hard about Ole Miss right now."

jbcarol

Class of 2015 DT Daron Payne of Shades Valley rockets up the 247sports.com rankings (video)

Quote"He was under the radar six weeks ago and then went to the Alabama O-line and D-line camp and just really dominated," Shades Valley coach Bill Smith said. "That's where I feel that increased interest in Daron is coming from."

Payne, who will be a junior this fall, shot up 91 spots nationally in 247sports.com's latest recruiting rankings for the Class of 2015.  He's now listed as the No. 1 defensive tackle and the No. 7 overall prospect in America for 2015.

He recently got his fifth star from 247sports.com and was just invited to play in the 2015 Army All-American Bowl late Friday morning.

Smith said Payne's offer list includes Bama, Auburn, Clemson, Ole Miss, State and South Carolina.

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 27 Jun
RT @jcshurburtt: #UGA closing in on 5-star DT Lamont Gaillard?

Gaillard is a 5.8-rated Fayetteville, NC DT with offers from Bama, Florida, UGa, and SC.

jbcarol

5.7-rated 6-2, three bills, 4.9 Nashville Ensworth DT Michael Sawyers has given a verbal to Vandy.

Considered one of the top dozen coming out of Tennessee in '14. No info on other committable offers.

jbcarol

Jason Lieser@PBPjasonlieser
Not a joke: Dominique Easley was asked a question about Bear Bryant & didn't recognize the name. He asked if it was some kind of cartoon.

He also said Florida took a game off in the Sugar Bowl.

holeinthewall

Quote from: jbcarol on April 03, 2013, 09:57:54 pm
Fort Lauderdale defensive tackle Anthony Moten has verbally committed to play for Florida. He's the eighth commitment of the 2014 class for the Gators.

http://www.mrsec.com/category/recruiting/

He decommitted this weekend saying he didn't want to get lost in the system. Speculation is he ends up at Miami which needs immediate help at the DT position. Don't be surprised if in the end Dalvin Cook flips from Florida to Miami where his brother is a FR basketball player this year.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dee Liner ✈ ‏@Liner_25 23h
Don't judge me when u have no clue what I have been through!!!

jbcarol

Dee Liner ✈ ‏@Liner_25 8h
Haha now that's a trending topic!

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on July 29, 2013, 10:11:22 am

Dee Liner ✈ ‏@Liner_25 23h
Don't judge me when u have no clue what I have been through!!!

Anyone else notice that the background is identical in all three photos?  8)

jbcarol

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on July 30, 2013, 12:37:49 pm
Anyone else notice that the background is identical in all three photos?  8)

The lockerroom at Auburn?

Noticed the serial numbers are the same in each photo.

jbcarol

Auburn is in the top three along with Florida and Tennessee for GMC defensive tackle DaVonte Lambert, who plans to announce a commitment on Aug. 13.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/07/auburn_in_top_three_for_juco_d.html

jbcarol

Freshman defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes will be immediately eligible to play for the UCLA Bruins this fall.

Vanderdoes, originally signed with Notre Dame in February but changed his mind in June for family reasons, he said. He decided to play for UCLA, which is closer to his Auburn home.

Notre Dame refused to release him, so Vanderdoes brought his appeal to the National Letter of Intent Steering Committee on Monday.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9524863/ucla-bruins-dt-eddie-vanderdoes-ruled-eligible-2013

Brian Kelly chose to comment on this decision but has stayed low key on Notre Dame's involvement in T'eo's Heisman Campaign / lost love and the student manager killed while taping practice on a scissors lift in a straight line wind storm.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on July 31, 2013, 08:44:27 am
The lockerroom at Auburn?

Noticed the serial numbers are the same in each photo.

I believe that is where the three players have as a common destination in their recruiting visits.......... 8)

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 1 Aug
4-star DT from Tucker (Ga) HS -->
RT @elisha_shaw: My offer letter from #Tennessee I need to set up a visit
pic.twitter.com/KY61ga4iQW

jbcarol

5.7-rated Sandy Creek DT Chris Williams gave a verbal to Ole Miss.

jbcarol

Elizabethtown DT Matt Elam has an offer from Kentucky

Courtesy Matt Elam

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 03, 2013, 07:50:27 pm
Elizabethtown DT Matt Elam has an offer from Kentucky

Courtesy Matt Elam

Also from the number one and two teams in the USA Today Coaches poll:

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 1h
With injured neck, 4* DT/monster Elisha Shaw of Tucker (Ga.) will be out for about 3 more weeks

jbcarol

Lamont Gaillard is a 6-foot-3, 315-pound defensive tackle from Fayetteville, N.C., who committed to UGA over Clemson and Alabama, among others.

Gaillard (pronounced Gil-Yard) is rated as a 4-star, the nation's No. 58 overall prospect and nation's No. 3 defensive tackle in the 247 composite rankings.

When the big guy from North Carolina made an unofficial visit to UGA earlier this summer, he had the chance to eat dinner in the student cafeteria with Bulldog running backs Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall. There was an instant connection because all three are from North Carolina.

"We talked about how things would be if I went to Georgia, and I liked what they had to say," Gaillard said. "I still talk to them and keep in touch.

"My family liked it there, and I liked the way Georgia talked to me about things other than football. I was really impressed with that. They care more about me than being a football player."

Which other schools are still recruiting Gaillard the hardest? Ever since pledging to UGA, Gaillard has sort of dropped off the recruiting radar, according to his coach. He still gets a lot of mail from Alabama, South Carolina and Clemson, but direct communication has dwindled to a stop.

Is Gaillard finished with recruiting for good? "As of now, I'm done. But ..."

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/aug/12/closer-look-ugas-top-defensive-recruit-2014

jbcarol

Austin W. Penny ‏@awpenny247 2h
#AU DL commit Devaroe Lawrence RT @jlaw32: I appreciate all my brothers love I can't wait till yawl get to see me at auburn man I can't wait

jbcarol

jbcarol

Top prospects make predictions for UGA vs. Clemson

•Elisha Shaw, the Tucker DT who has UGA and Alabama as his leaders: "Blowout by UGA. They are very talented and have great coaches."

•Dontavius Russell, the Carrollton DT commited to UGA: "Georgia, they have most if not all of their offense returning. And a good offense helps make a good defense. I'll say 35-21 Georgia."

•Chris Williams, the Sandy Creek DT committed to Ole Miss: "UGA 28-7. Actually 35-21."

No out-of-state school is recruiting Georgia better this year than Clemson, which has five 2014 commitments.

Last year, Tigers also got off to a sizzling start in Georgia, including an early pledge from the consensus national No. 1 recruit, Robert Nkemdiche. But Clemson's grand efforts in Georgia fell apart down the stretch...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/aug/29/top-recruits-make-predictions-uga-vs-clemson

jbcarol

Not a fan of the South, star defensive tackle Dominique Easley injured his knee in practice yesterday, according to the Gainesville Sun's Zach Abolverdi. Sources say the injury is thought to be a torn ACL, in which case he will be out for the season.

Will Muschamp says Easley only "tweaked his knee" and will sit out practice today.

Easley tweeted this moments ago: "@MR_ChUcKiE_2: Thank you for 4 yrs of sticking with me but god has something else planned." Sounds like more than a tweak to me.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/florida-dt-dominique-easley-injures-knee-at-practice

Kentucky plays Florida Saturday.