Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Are HDN's Strengths?

Started by WilsonHog, October 11, 2005, 06:20:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Every football coach has them; every one brings something to the table.

Based on his track record over the last 7+ years, what are HDN's strengths as a head football coach?

WARNING: POSTS THAT DERAIL THE THREAD WILL BE DELETED.

tophawg19

cheerleading / motivation . all around good person at least in perception [ i don't know him personally ] .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 11, 2005, 06:23:41 pm
cheerleading / motivation . all around good person at least in perception [ i don't know him personally ] .

This is about the only one I can think of too.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

dawgsnhawgs

well, he knows how to get yards on the ground.  that is a big strength of his.  i just wish that he would mix in some vertical passes.

Bomis Hawg

I think Nutt, as a person, is top-notch.  Solid guy.

As far as coaching goes, he knows how to get the yards on the ground going.  Thrives in the "us against the world" mentality.  He knows the buttons to push in this situation.

He is good at finding the players that many schools overlook or stop going after in recruiting.  This would be a huge benefit in a smaller league.  Put that FAU or FIU or another school in the south that has a good recruiting territory, and he'd be an instant hit -- recruiting wise.  No knock, there.

Boarcephus

I think Nutt makes a great first impression.  He comes across to parents as a genuine, caring, concerned coach who wears his religion and morals on his sleeves for all to see.  He says what his bosses evidently love to hear.   Once he gets the players on campus, I'm not sure they or their folks will agree that he's all that genuine.   He has that Bill Clinton ability to speak to a crown of 500 people and every single one feels he's talking directly to them and he indeed can feel their pain.   

I understand there could be some major dissention on this team and it might stem from the fact the what he promised ain't necessarily what he's delivering.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogDodging

October 11, 2005, 07:08:02 pm #6 Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 07:10:22 pm by Deep Shoat
Honestly, I don't see any one area to be considered a strength of Nutt's.

He's able to parlay a losing 7th season into a contract extension.

Cajun Hog

I do know him very well and he's a man I would my son to play for in a heart beat.  The fact that I would send my son to him is enough said. He get the most out the talent that he has.  He has to start turning it around very quickly. 

Torqued pork

Houston's most important strength is being a good suck-up. Where as most if not all of his predecessors discarded advice from JFB and acused him of meddling, Nutt actually seeks wisdom from "The Great Wise Man" on a weekly basis during the football season - great for self-presevation.

Boarcephus

Creole Hog,

Not sure I can go along with the statement about him getting the most out of his talent.  The way he yoyo'd Lancaster, Ball, burning redshirts in the heat of blind panic, constantly changing players positions doesn't go a long ways towards instilling that confidence.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

kremlinhog

he does a great job when he sings to the crowd after a victory

NuttsSacked

Having recruited Matt Jones.  If it weren't for MJ, Nutt would be long gone.  No one can convince me otherwise. 

PigInGulfport

HDN's strengths flow from his "NOW" love for the Hog Football Program (remember, he ran to Ok State even after playing in arguably one of the Biggest Hog Bowl Victories ever).

Strengths:

1.  Rah, rah attitude. . .  huge Hog Fan and PLAYERS COACH.
2.  Political ability . . . able to say the right things at the right time to the right people.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Biggus Piggus

Adjusting after the toughest part of the schedule is done.

Managing the offense to score points at relatively low risk.

Closing at the in-home in recruiting.
[CENSORED]!

hawgfan_18

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 11, 2005, 06:23:41 pm

ya thats what i was thinking also

Oklahawg

HDN has a charisma that overcomes the scattershot hack recruiting that occurs by too many of his assistants. That same charisma gets these same recruits to overachieve and overcome poor coaching by the same assistants who provide hack coaching.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Rhyno_Hawg

1. Modivation

2. Playing smash mouth, physical football. Running game and ball control (some times to a fault)

3. Great morals, good person, always wants to be the feel good nice guy.

4. Really cares about his players.

clemensrules01

rhyno hawg, i agree with you on every point except for the first one. modivation? ive never heard of it.

my number 1 would have been motivation personally.

Rhyno_Hawg

Quote from: Rhyno_Hawg on October 11, 2005, 10:09:48 pm
1. Motivation

2. Playing smash mouth, physical football. Running game and ball control (some times to a fault)

oh....now I see what this spell check thing is all about!

jkstock04

I also think he's a good motivator...his pre-game pep talks seem pretty awsome to me from what little I've seen of them.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hog Bounty Hunter

Nutt's greatest strength is the ability to be a terrible loser of a coach, who not only can't recruit but also is a terrible X and O guy, and can still hold on his job and even get a raise.  It's un fricken believable.  Any other school in the SEC, besides Arkansas, Vandy or Kentucky would of fired this guy a long long time ago. But because we have such small expectations and our fan base is willing to accept excuses and subpar coaching and teams we keep this guy as our coach. It's sad sad times to be a football fan in Arkansas.

wacohog

in spite of the losses and what I believe to be his failure to get the job done I still would like for him address his deficiencies and complete th e task here at Arkansas.I am aware that this position is moronic at best, but I think it is reflective of many people's hopes: there is no logical reason to stick with him, yet many of us in our gut would are only too willing to cut him slack that I'm not sure he deserves. Whatever this power is , he seems to be very good at it.you see, I fall for it also...

PerryHog

The raw nerve, for eight years, to blame all the team's failings on everyone but himself.

lumphog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 11, 2005, 06:20:52 pm

Based on his track record over the last 7+ years, what are HDN's strengths as a head football coach?

SELLING CARS?

AFWarrior83

He is a great people person, before the LSU thing, I think most of the state was behind him, even if we had another down year. I think it's going to take a 10 win season next year for him to redeem himself to the fans. Another thing is that he can talk, he can sell ideas! I don't mid HDN as our head coach, I just think he should use his scholarships where we need them, and not on fast athletes. We seem to score points, even with his playcalling, but I still think an OC would give him more breathing room. Our biggest downside is defense, and I think the Herring will bring in some talent on the other side of the ball. He has done good enough in the past, that I think one more year to prove himself is fine with me. I am not a Nutt Hugger, I just think he is a good fit @ Arkansas. Sure he does play safe at times, but I think he feels that is our best shot this year, and hearing how ROJO is playing, I don't disagree with him. I think RJ should be further along though.
Hogville member since 2005.

hawgjowls

Quote from: PulledPork on October 11, 2005, 07:12:00 pm
At making excuses for his poor performances. :puke:
has he ever said "we as coaches did a poor job of preparing our team and we will just have to do better next week"?

SultanofSwine

I think he is the very best at pissing me off...it happens every Saturday and every other day he opens his mouth.

JD Hogg

He's great at suckering people into believing that he's the best we can do.  Hopefully the past few weeks have opened some eyes.

pigfoot

I know him, too.  He recruited one of my grandsons (who wound up going to the Naval Academy).  A strength is that he talks a good game.  He comes across as a good man -- and I suspect he is --but listening to HDN is akin to listening to a politician. You come away with the feeling that he told you what he knew you wanted to hear.  We also got to know coach Richt from Georgia.  Like HDN, Richt impresses you as the poster boy for Mr. Nice Guy.  But after listening to Richt, you feel like you have been talking to a top-notch football guy.  It's hard to explain, but the difference is in the confidence level someone like Richt leaves you with.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

counsellorhog

The best gunners in the nation.

HaWg 10

good motivator, and REALLY good at calling that draw play on 3rd and 18..
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

GorillaJMonsoon

1.  Great motivator
2.  Great rushing attack
3.  Brought Arkansas back to being a competitive team in the SEC.
4.  Master of the sports cliche
5.  Born and raised in Arkansas, he's an insider

Theolesnort

October 12, 2005, 02:24:09 pm #32 Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:31:36 pm by Theolesnort

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on October 12, 2005, 10:13:02 am
1.  Great motivator
2.  Great rushing attack
3.  Brought Arkansas back to being a competitive team in the SEC.
4.  Master of the sports cliche
5. Born and raised in Arkansas, he's an insider
1. Modivation

I am taking this as a serious post question and not a opportunity to take a shot at Nutt. Nutt certainly has some qualities as a coach that other coaches would kill for. The problem is he has deficiencies that he has never seen fit to address. I have stated before that if he would learn modesty and face up to some of his limitations he could be a outstanding football coach. For instance instead of trying to jump in and fill the breach in areas where some of his assistance's are lacking, thinking that that will make it OK, he should hold the assistance's accountable and replace the deficient ones. He should hire top notch assistance's and back off and let them do their jobs. When a game plan is decided on and some assistant decides to do some changing on his own then Nutt should hold who ever it is accountable and discipline them accordingly up to termination. He should back off the micro managing and step back and look at the big picture and pay attention to details and not let the kind of things that have been slipping through the cracks happen. He should hire the best recruiting coordinator around not just someone that gathers the expense accounts and pays the tabs but that knows recruiting and see the needs of the team and has a coordinated plan where the needs and numbers of the team are addressed in a balanced way. When I used that word modesty that is what I meant, that he realize that he is only one person and to steer the ship he needs a great crew who can do the job where he is not trying to do to much himself. Houston has failed in a number of these areas and yet the powers that be are determined to stay with him so we are stuck. My hope is that he is not to old or stubborn to make the needed changes. If he changes we have a chance for a decent future if not more of the same ole same ole.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

GorillaJMonsoon

Good post,

I agree with what you have said.  He has potential and strengths, but is not taking care of the problems, which will bring him down.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Theolesnort on October 12, 2005, 02:24:09 pm

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on October 12, 2005, 10:13:02 am
1. Great motivator
2. Great rushing attack
3. Brought Arkansas back to being a competitive team in the SEC.
4. Master of the sports cliche
5. Born and raised in Arkansas, he's an insider
1. Modivation

I am taking this as a serious post question and not a opportunity to take a shot at Nutt. Nutt certainly has some qualities as a coach that other coaches would kill for. The problem is he has deficiencies that he has never seen fit to address. I have stated before that if he would learn modesty and face up to some of his limitations he could be a outstanding football coach. For instance instead of trying to jump in and fill the breach in areas where some of his assistance's are lacking, thinking that that will make it OK, he should hold the assistance's accountable and replace the deficient ones. He should hire top notch assistance's and back off and let them do their jobs. When a game plan is decided on and some assistant decides to do some changing on his own then Nutt should hold who ever it is accountable and discipline them accordingly up to termination. He should back off the micro managing and step back and look at the big picture and pay attention to details and not let the kind of things that have been slipping through the cracks happen. He should hire the best recruiting coordinator around not just someone that gathers the expense accounts and pays the tabs but that knows recruiting and see the needs of the team and has a coordinated plan where the needs and numbers of the team are addressed in a balanced way. When I used that word modesty that is what I meant, that he realize that he is only one person and to steer the ship he needs a great crew who can do the job where he is not trying to do to much himself. Houston has failed in a number of these areas and yet the powers that be are determined to stay with him so we are stuck. My hope is that he is not to old or stubborn to make the needed changes. If he changes we have a chance for a decent future if not more of the same ole same ole.

Vary well said.  I compleatly agree with you on this one.  Nutt seems to be a good person.  I agree with most of what has been said in this thread all together.  If Nutt would learn from his mistakes he could be a great coach.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

whatsshakinbacon

HDN's greatest strength is.......Jimmy Sexton.

Bacon out...