Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Indulge me for a couple of minutes regarding the USC game

Started by HogInMemphis, August 23, 2005, 12:38:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogInMemphis

I would like to make a prediction. Feel free to berate me and/or poke holes in my opinion since that's all it is, my opinion....I could be wrong.

IF the Hogs win their first two games, and particularly if they win them easily (I'm not even sure they'll beat Vandy, not to mention beating them easily), and assuming USC wins its game or games before they play us, I am guessing the line may be around 20 pts. It could be a bit lower, but I'd be somewhat surprised if it is more than 21 or 22. Assuming I'm somewhere in the vincinity of what the line will be, I think one of two scenarios will play out in that game:

1. Final score will be something along the lines of 38-6 or 7. If we don't score much, they won't rub it in and will take a 30 pt. win over an SEC team, or

2. If the Hogs score 21 or so points, it will be only because USC already has 50+ points and they are playing their 3rd teamers on D while we still have in our 1st team O and we get a couple of 4th Q TD's to get our scoring up around 20 or so points. Final score in this scenario will be something akin to 62-21, like the Tenn. game in Knoxville in '00.

I prefer the 1st scenario out of the 2 since I think it's more embarrassing to have a ton of points rolled up against you than it is to not score much yourselves.

Either way, I think USC covering 20 or so points at home against this Hog team is going to be one of the easier bets of the season since it's an early season game - if it were mid to late season, the line would probably be in the 30's.

bknight33

August 23, 2005, 12:40:13 pm #1 Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:41:51 pm by Marty Houston's Boy
Wrong.  After the Hogs blow out Missouri State, and Vandy losses to Wake, Vandy will be at least a double digit underdog.....Take Vandy and the points....

Arkansas 17
Vandy 12

Chief Mac

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 12:38:08 pm
I would like to make a prediction. Feel free to berate me and/or poke holes in my opinion since that's all it is, my opinion....I could be wrong.

IF the Hogs win their first two games, and particularly if they win them easily (I'm not even sure they'll beat Vandy, not to mention beating them easily), and assuming USC wins its game or games before they play us, I am guessing the line may be around 20 pts. It could be a bit lower, but I'd be somewhat surprised if it is more than 21 or 22. Assuming I'm somewhere in the vincinity of what the line will be, I think one of two scenarios will play out in that game:

1. Final score will be something along the lines of 38-6 or 7. If we don't score much, they won't rub it in and will take a 30 pt. win over an SEC team, or

2. If the Hogs score 21 or so points, it will be only because USC already has 50+ points and they are playing their 3rd teamers on D while we still have in our 1st team O and we get a couple of 4th Q TD's to get our scoring up around 20 or so points. Final score in this scenario will be something akin to 62-21, like the Tenn. game in Knoxville in '00.

I prefer the 1st scenario out of the 2 since I think it's more embarrassing to have a ton of points rolled up against you than it is to not score much yourselves.

Either way, I think USC covering 20 or so points at home against this Hog team is going to be one of the easier bets of the season since it's an early season game - if it were mid to late season, the line would probably be in the 30's.

I see it being at most, a 14 pt margin, no more but of course if our O doesn't show up I can see where your prediction could be right.  We don't have the talent but unlike last year, we will have heart and some fire in our bellies.  These guys WON'T LAY DOWN and will bust through a wall for Herring. 

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Bomis Hawg

Vandy will get up for Ole Miss, not Arkansas.  I see Arkansas winning by two scores.

Thehammer

Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on August 23, 2005, 12:40:13 pm
Wrong.  After the Hogs blow out Missouri State, and Vandy losses to Wake, Vandy will be at least a double digit underdog.....Take Vandy and the points....

Arkansas 17
Vandy 12

bknight33

hogken

what if ? hogs take/make every possession a slow time consuming great O-line opening holes for the running game drives. pepper in a few timing passes when they load up to stop the run. could be interesting?
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

Bomis Hawg

Knowing the difficulties that Vandy can bring, that should take over.  I don't think Arkansas will look ahead to USC.  Now, if Bama was playing before USC, then I say you could make something of Arkansas looked ahead to Alabama.

It would be a close game early, but I don't see Vandy hanging for the entire game.  I could be wrong, but I don't see the Hogs losing this one.

SultanofSwine

If ever a game has been setup for us to pull the monumental upset this is it. USC fans are talking about Fresno being one of thier toughest games of the year. USC soundly beat AU twice and it is almost a given they will view AU as having been a tougher matchup than us. It is early in the season and a road game. I will not be surprised if it is a 10 pt game either way. Also, wouldn't be surprised by a total beatdown either, I just don't expect it. I think they will take this game a little on the light side and it could bite them in the arse.

mikeb

I wanna hear from Buck Ocean on all this prediction crap ;D

hogken

Johnson, goes back to throw! he's looking! finds Hillis over the middle ! Touchdown! Arkansas! Oh! MY!
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

BigSnout

Would you guys take losses the first two games if it guaranteed a victory against USC?  Or would you prefer 2 victories in the first two games.  Just a hypothetical question to see what everyone thinks.

CorningHog

First of all, no matter what happens in Arkansas' two games prior to USC, the Vegas line will be 29 to 30 pts.  I am not an expert on gambling but used to follow it 5 to 10 years back or longer and was foolish enough to gamble on college football years and years ago.

That said, you know that most of these lines are pretty accurate and they "live" on "perception" early in the season.  To get people to bet on Arkansas or for USC, you have to expect Vegas and the oddsmakers to make this look just like what everyone "Expect", which is a blowout victory for the 2 time defending champions and with Leinart, Bush and Co!

I will be surprised if the line opens lower than 21 pts.  Actually if it is lower than 24.  but you can watch that week and see where the action goes if the line starts moving heavily in one direction or the other.  The bookies want the juice and so they want the money divvied up equally.

My prediction is that we beat Missouri St. very handily.  Then, against Vandy, we win but it could be by just a touchdown or maybe 10 pts.  Cutler is good, so our pass rush had better be decent.

Against USC, i expect us to get into a scoring battle with these West Coast guys and if our defense can cause some turnovers and force a few punts we could be in this game!  Maybe something like 34 - 31.  What will have to happen is no "long" plays from our defense and make USC earn what they get.  It will be a struggle to hold their talent in check all day since we are breaking in some new guys on our depth chart and all, but hey, once those lights come on and the sun goes down, who knows!  I think Peyton Hillis, Marcus Monk, our O line, the TE's and our new running backs, Jones & McFadden, plus D Poole, will have something to prove!

Just hope our defense will be able to put some stops together!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Razorback Jedi

My guess is that the line will be 20-25. USC will beat us by 18-21 points in the range of 40-21.

pork-e-pine

Before reading this thread i thought we would lose to USC...but this is to depressing so I am predicting a victory.  Maybe 31-28.  Who knows.  I don't think they can score 62 points.  That would mean 2 touchdowns per quarter with some of those getting 2 pt conversions. That is insane.  I think that Arkansas will predominately run like we always do and that will run some time out.  I think that it stays close on paper even if the reality is we are never in it.  But we will be in it.  We win 31-28.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

bknight33

Corning hog you are right about perceptions...if you do your homework early on, you can take the bookies to the house...it gets harder as the season goes along.  Arkansas will be a double digit favorite over Vandy because of last season's close calls with Ga and Tx.....people across the country will assume that Arkansas rolls at home, not knowing how much MJ really did for Arkansas...I would think 10and a half 11 would be the early line.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: pork-e-pine on August 23, 2005, 01:44:26 pmI don't think they can score 62 points. That would mean 2 touchdowns per quarter with some of those getting 2 pt conversions. That is insane.

I was at the 2000 UT game. At the end of the first half, it was 35-0. We lost 63-20. That UT team couldn't hold half of USC's jocks right now. If USC played all 4 quarters with their starters, they could easily lay 70 on us....then again, they could also only lay 20-30.

jabohog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 23, 2005, 12:43:23 pm
Vandy will get up for Ole Miss, not Arkansas. I see Arkansas winning by two scores.
With Coach Nutt crying over the last couple of years about how tough our schedule is ( and it was tough ) and how we don't have Vandy on our schedule like others I think Vandy will be up for the Arkansas game.

HighOnHogs

Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

bknight33

I was one who claimed a darn stomping in Austin...man was I drunk that day

HogInMemphis

Quote from: CorningHog on August 23, 2005, 01:38:47 pm
First of all, no matter what happens in Arkansas' two games prior to USC, the Vegas line will be 29 to 30 pts.  I am not an expert on gambling but used to follow it 5 to 10 years back or longer and was foolish enough to gamble on college football years and years ago.

That said, you know that most of these lines are pretty accurate and they "live" on "perception" early in the season.  To get people to bet on Arkansas or for USC, you have to expect Vegas and the oddsmakers to make this look just like what everyone "Expect", which is a blowout victory for the 2 time defending champions and with Leinart, Bush and Co!

I will be surprised if the line opens lower than 21 pts.  Actually if it is lower than 24.  but you can watch that week and see where the action goes if the line starts moving heavily in one direction or the other.  The bookies want the juice and so they want the money divvied up equally.

My prediction is that we beat Missouri St. very handily.  Then, against Vandy, we win but it could be by just a touchdown or maybe 10 pts.  Cutler is good, so our pass rush had better be decent.

Against USC, i expect us to get into a scoring battle with these West Coast guys and if our defense can cause some turnovers and force a few punts we could be in this game!  Maybe something like 34 - 31.  What will have to happen is no "long" plays from our defense and make USC earn what they get.  It will be a struggle to hold their talent in check all day since we are breaking in some new guys on our depth chart and all, but hey, once those lights come on and the sun goes down, who knows!  I think Peyton Hillis, Marcus Monk, our O line, the TE's and our new running backs, Jones & McFadden, plus D Poole, will have something to prove!

Just hope our defense will be able to put some stops together!

GO HOGS!

Your opinion could not be more opposite of mine. We'll see who's right in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Inigo Montoya

I'm predicting either way I'm going to be drunk by half time.  If before the game I may vomit or pass out during 3rd quarter.  If we win I may run down our street naked and get arrested.  If I do all these things I predict not getting any that night from my wife and sleeping on my vomit and beer stained couch.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HighOnHogs on August 23, 2005, 01:52:25 pm
Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

Yes, I certainly did predict that vs. Texas in Austin. I also predicted a shitstomping by Ga in the SECCG a few years ago as well as a shitstomping by LSU in LR last year - nailed both of those.  Easy come, easy go.

mikeb

Quote from: Inigo Montoya on August 23, 2005, 02:16:47 pm
I'm predicting either way I'm going to be drunk by half time. If before the game I may vomit or pass out during 3rd quarter. If we win I may run down our street naked and get arrested. If I do all these things I predict not getting any that night from my wife and sleeping on my vomit and beer stained couch.
can I vomit on you're couch too.

Inigo Montoya

Quote from: mikeb on August 23, 2005, 02:19:03 pm
I'm predicting either way I'm going to be drunk by half time. If before the game I may vomit or pass out during 3rd quarter. If we win I may run down our street naked and get arrested. If I do all these things I predict not getting any that night from my wife and sleeping on my vomit and beer stained couch.
can I vomit on you're couch too.
hey vomit on your own couch!

HighOnHogs

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 02:18:02 pmYes, I certainly did predict that vs. Texas in Austin. I also predicted a shitstomping by Ga in the SECCG a few years ago as well as a shitstomping by LSU in LR last year - nailed both of those. Easy come, easy go.

Yeah those were really tough predictions. Great job!

abq

Maybe Section 2 of the Coliseum isn't so bad after all.  8)

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HighOnHogs on August 23, 2005, 02:21:21 pm
Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 02:18:02 pmYes, I certainly did predict that vs. Texas in Austin. I also predicted a shitstomping by Ga in the SECCG a few years ago as well as a shitstomping by LSU in LR last year - nailed both of those. Easy come, easy go.

Yeah those were really tough predictions. Great job!

Most were predicted a Hog win in LR vs LSU last year - you know, the whole undefeated in LR can't lose in WMS under Nutt thing. And same for the SECCG vs. Ga. Most fans I talked with thought it would be close. I'm sure that's what you thought then and don't BS us by lying about it.

HighOnHogs

If you already have me pegged as a liar then there is not much left for me to say is there?

http://www.grab.com/fun/toons/f/50019/9883

Biggus Piggus

Biggest lines last year for USC: -37.5 (Washington), -36.5 (Arizona).  Below that -26.5 (BYU).  Funny, they beat UDub 38-0, Zona 49-9.  Nice ATS.  Those were really bad teams.  The line vs. Colorado State last September was just -25.  I bet the line will be around three TDs.

Vandy got pasted at home by South Carolina in last year's opener, followed that with a 3-pt loss at Ole Miss and an 18-pt win over MSU.

In 2003, Vandy opened SEC play with a 3-pt loss to Ole Miss and a 38-pt loss to Auburn.

In 2002, the Commodes lost by 24 at Auburn and 7 at Ole Miss.

In 2001, VU lost by 3 to Alabama and by 3 to Auburn, both home.

Hogs have no business taking Vanderbilt lightly, and if they don't, the game still could be competitive.
[CENSORED]!

CorningHog

I agree that you could easily be right.  I just went on the USC website and they say on Sunday Aug 21, they had 30,000 for their version of the Red/White game.  Looks like their offense will be lethal with Jarrett, White & Bush.  Plus their backups look pretty good too.

I can see their offense having some big moments against us, but with a team as explosive as USC, if our defense can just hang in and force them to get 4 to 5 yds a play and if we can eliminate the 20 to 30 yd gains we gave up last year, our guys may hang around in this game.

Our guys, Monk, Hillis, the freshmen backs, Jones & McFadden, and Poole, as well as our other great receivers in Washington, Baker and Logan, may have an opportunity to "shine" on the national stage.

USC's defense will not be as strong, with only 5 starters returning.  But you KNOW they will have extreme talent out there.  The "experience" factor and the letterman, # of years returning, etc.... did not look to intimidating on paper on their roster.

Their offense does look unstoppable though.

We must hope for some turnovers, some long drives by our guys, and an opportunistic Razorback defense that clamps down on these guys.  Right now, seeing Harrison, Bledsoe, Jackson Jr, Harrell, Cord Gray, Shavers, at DT and then Brown, Sims, Anderson and Snider at DE, our current crop of young LB's with our veterans in Butu and Brown, and a much better secondary, give me some hope but we are not a "proven" defense and we have a lot of "questions" on that side of the ball.  However, the talent is there and we just must expect that their "hearts" will match their talent and with Herring getting the most out of these guys we can pray that as time bears out, he gets a great first "ELEVEN" and works in the "youth" in the backups and we have a solid unit by the BAMA game.  The USC game is a bonus and what these guys should have given a little "EXTRA" motivation for this past SUMMER WORKOUTS!  Going on the USC website should excite our guys!  I don't think we will be intimidated.

If you think that 2 great games by the Hogs will make the Vegas guys tighten the Vegas Line you are mistaken.  The early season game with Hawaii for USC has them at 33 to 39 pt favorites and that is IN HAWAII.  Expect ours to be about the same since we will be on the road!

The lasting impression that USC gave the betting world and college football in general with the 55-19 spanking and it could have been much worse, will have the USC vs Arkansas line at or near 29 or above! 

That is my instinctive gut feeling.  But hey, what do I know...... if I am wrong, I will admit it, it is all a guess anyway!

The real story is how our beloved Hogs do!

I will be more able to predict that once we see Herring's defense against 2 teams.  Plus, how our QB reacts.

Right now, I would want at least 30 pts to take on USC, since they do have a much more seasoned offense.

But you GOTTA play the games to see how it really works!

GO HOGS!

Jim Harris

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on August 23, 2005, 01:47:44 pm
Quote from: pork-e-pine on August 23, 2005, 01:44:26 pmI don't think they can score 62 points. That would mean 2 touchdowns per quarter with some of those getting 2 pt conversions. That is insane.

I was at the 2000 UT game. At the end of the first half, it was 35-0. We lost 63-20. That UT team couldn't hold half of USC's jocks right now. If USC played all 4 quarters with their starters, they could easily lay 70 on us....then again, they could also only lay 20-30.

It was 35-0 at the END OF THE FIRST QUARTER. Unbelievable.
49-20 at the half.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

CorningHog

USC's scrimmage score was like 50 to 14 or something.  Go on their website.  It is pretty impressive.  Not just the numbers and the winning records but it is a lot more interactive.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 02:22:26 pm
Most were predicted a Hog win in LR vs LSU last year - you know, the whole undefeated in LR can't lose in WMS under Nutt thing. And same for the SECCG vs. Ga. Most fans I talked with thought it would be close. I'm sure that's what you thought then and don't BS us by lying about it.

I don't remember it that way, at least not on this board.  Defending co-champs, Matt Jones hurt, it was close to zero odds.  Even last summer, many of us were saying we'd enter the LSU game 5-5, so to have a chance of going to a bowl we needed to win 6 before then. 

As for the SECCG in 2002, that team struggled to score points, and we barely slogged our way through November due to lack of depth.  The Troy State game was abysmal.  Most people knew Georgia was good.  Nobody wanted to see the Hogs roll over as they did, but sheesh nobody thought we should be favored either.  It was not a sin to want to be happy about beating LSU for a while. 
[CENSORED]!

JoeBobHog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 02:18:02 pm
Quote from: HighOnHogs on August 23, 2005, 01:52:25 pm
Very few people I have talked to expect the Hogs to beat USC.   But I remember the same people predicting we would get shitstomped in Austin two years ago too.  Including HiM.  Wait N C Mode 

Yes, I certainly did predict that vs. Texas in Austin. I also predicted a shitstomping by Ga in the SECCG a few years ago as well as a shitstomping by LSU in LR last year - nailed both of those. Easy come, easy go.

you also predicted texass would hammer us last year, Georgia to hammer us last year, and Mizzou to beat us in the Indy bowl.

and, on NO Hog board were the majority of picks for the Hogs against LSU last year.  NONE.

please put your money on USC, because then I know we'll have a chance.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

JJHog

Get over yourself, Hogs win easliy over Vandy
" Think Right, Do Right"

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2005, 02:28:01 pm
I bet the line will be around three TDs.

Agree, even if others don't see it that way. And if it is, I'm wagering on USC.

CorningHog

The line won't be 20 and it probably will be more like 31.  Will you still take USC and give up 31 pts?

How about 35 >?

The Hawaii line is somewhere between 33 to 38 and it is AT Hawaii.

I tell you what, go ahead and give me 31 1/2 and I will take Arkansas!

Come on HIM, tell me, will you still take Southern Cal and give up + 30 to Arkansas?

Is that what you are really saying?

GO HOGS!

Arkansas 34  USC 31  "SHOCKER FOR ALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS"...............Lee Corso does back flips and Trev Alberts says Houston Nutt must run for President in 2008!  GO HOGS GO!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 23, 2005, 02:35:35 pm
Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 02:22:26 pm

I don't remember it that way, at least not on this board.  Defending co-champs, Matt Jones hurt, it was close to zero odds.  Even last summer, many of us were saying we'd enter the LSU game 5-5, so to have a chance of going to a bowl we needed to win 6 before then. 

As for the SECCG in 2002, that team struggled to score points, and we barely slogged our way through November due to lack of depth.  The Troy State game was abysmal.  Most people knew Georgia was good.  Nobody wanted to see the Hogs roll over as they did, but sheesh nobody thought we should be favored either.  It was not a sin to want to be happy about beating LSU for a while. 

You make it sound like I said Hogs were favored in the SECCG. I didn't. I said most thought it would be close. And that's all I heard on these boards then - that it would be close. I agree most thought Hogs would likely lose. Difference is, I said Hogs would be blown out by GA. That's all.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: JJHog on August 23, 2005, 03:06:07 pm

Get over yourself, Hogs win easliy over Vandy

you can disagree with me but what do you mean "get over yourself"? I made a prediction. IF you don't like it, why attack me? Just disagree with the prediction, jerky.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: CorningHog on August 23, 2005, 04:00:59 pm
The line won't be 20 and it probably will be more like 31.  Will you still take USC and give up 31 pts?

How about 35 >?

The Hawaii line is somewhere between 33 to 38 and it is AT Hawaii.

I tell you what, go ahead and give me 31 1/2 and I will take Arkansas!

Come on HIM, tell me, will you still take Southern Cal and give up + 30 to Arkansas?

Is that what you are really saying?

GO HOGS!

Arkansas 34  USC 31  "SHOCKER FOR ALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS"...............Lee Corso does back flips and Trev Alberts says Houston Nutt must run for President in 2008!  GO HOGS GO!

I hope I don't have to tell you what I am "really saying". If you can read, you should know what I said. I don't need to say it twice. You're offer is stupid, thus I will not be taking it.

And the line at Hawaii for USC is meaningless for predicting what it will be vs. the Hogs. The Hogs, while not a great team, are not Hawaii. We're in the SEC, remember?

CorningHog

HIM, I see what you are "really saying" that this is an easy win for USC and if you were betting, then a 20 pt spread is what you are looking for since if Arkansas doesn't score much, then USC will be happy with a 30 pt win, like 38-6.  OR, you say, if we score on their 2nd and 3rd team defense in the 4th qtr we may get it to 62-21 like the 2000 Tenn game!  haha.  Do you need your H.S. teacher to spell out that what I said is just me dangling your "carrot" to you.

You say either (1) USC will stop at 38 if we only score 6 or 7 pts.  OR (2) They will score 50 on us before we can spell "relief" since that is the ONLY way we score 21?

I am saying ONE:  That the public perception and the Las Vegas boys will not see this as a 20 point game.   And TWO: Arkansas will have trouble with their offense, but you can bet on Arkansas' offense will certainly give USC some fits too!  So, we will see Hog IN Memphis who has the handle at this point.

It seems obvious that you have little or no faith in this Team since you make a snide remark about can we even beat Vandy.  Arkansas was very close to 7 wins(Texas & South Carolina) and although they played Georgia tough, that one was on both the offense and defense, because the defense scored 6 of our 14pts.  Grant gave up a big pass play to their very good experienced receiver and for our team to be on the field like they were against a very veteran Georgia club, impressed the heck out of me. 

This years 2nd year guys that were freshman and 1st time starters will be much more ready to handle the physical SEC and you wait and see for yourself!

Write this down because I will find this thread after the USC game and see what you think!

GO HOGS!

CorningHog

I meant to reply to your quote:

HIM, I see what you are "really saying" that this is an easy win for USC and if you were betting, then a 20 pt spread is what you are looking for since if Arkansas doesn't score much, then USC will be happy with a 30 pt win, like 38-6.  OR, you say, if we score on their 2nd and 3rd team defense in the 4th qtr we may get it to 62-21 like the 2000 Tenn game!  haha.  Do you need your H.S. teacher to spell out that what I said is just me dangling your "carrot" to you.

You say either (1) USC will stop at 38 if we only score 6 or 7 pts.  OR (2) They will score 50 on us before we can spell "relief" since that is the ONLY way we score 21?

I am saying ONE:  That the public perception and the Las Vegas boys will not see this as a 20 point game.   And TWO: Arkansas will have trouble with their offense, but you can bet on Arkansas' offense will certainly give USC some fits too!  So, we will see Hog IN Memphis who has the handle at this point.

It seems obvious that you have little or no faith in this Team since you make a snide remark about can we even beat Vandy.  Arkansas was very close to 7 wins(Texas & South Carolina) and although they played Georgia tough, that one was on both the offense and defense, because the defense scored 6 of our 14pts.  Grant gave up a big pass play to their very good experienced receiver and for our team to be on the field like they were against a very veteran Georgia club, impressed the heck out of me. 

This years 2nd year guys that were freshman and 1st time starters will be much more ready to handle the physical SEC and you wait and see for yourself!

Write this down because I will find this thread after the USC game and see what you think!

GO HOGS!

HogInMemphis

Quote from: CorningHog on August 23, 2005, 04:38:38 pm

I meant to reply to your quote:

GO HOGS!

Good lord.

HogsRule

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 23, 2005, 04:12:37 pm
Difference is, I said Hogs would be blown out by GA. That's all.

Well if you say the Hogs are going to get blown out every game you're bound to be right once or twice. A stopped clock is right twice a day. What did you say about Texas or GA last year?
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Biggus Piggus

I'd have to win 10x my bet to take 31 to cover.  But it's really not that bad a proposition.  I wouldn't bet it, given all the unpredictables.  No problems with weather in Southern California, but there's a hundred reasons why the spread could end up something like 24 or 28 regardless of how they dominate us.

Most likely they stuff our running game and force turnovers.  Regardless of how good our defense is (and it won't be great, good at best), they probably will be working at time of possession and field position disadvantages.

I'm gonna guess that working against our Oline will be good preparation for our run D, poor for our pass D.  USC's line is more pass oriented, tall and long-armed, but the guards can get up and move.  USC has two excellent running backs and a bunch of big, fast receivers.  Plus the great quarterback Leinart.  We have personnel sore spots he can pick on all day.  Yeek.  This is skeery.

The vast majority of the Dline rotation is sophomores and freshmens.  I want to know how they react to getting beaten on by our Oline.  Linebackers and secondary are more experienced, just three returning starters back there though.

USC had an incredible pass rush last year, 50 sacks!  We need to stay away from third and long.
[CENSORED]!

Back-n-the-Rock

I say Hog's get first game gitters out of the way with Missouri State or whatever they are called now, then we have a close game with Vandy, only depth will tell and the heat should play a part as well. I dont see us losing but it will be close 17-10 or 35-27 something like that. that aint all bad because I expect USC to overlook us to some degree. USC doesnt see teams like the Hogs very often I only hope our guys are not "Star" struck going against the NC's of the last 2 years. I dont think we will lay down. Something good will happen which could make our entire season. I dont see a win but a fairly close game. Most important will be the first 5 minutes of the game.

PIGINAPOKE

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

The Professor

We keep talking about our defense, and Hillis and Monk, etc... Don't forget that our QB (whoever that may be by the time Sept. 17th rolls around) will have at most, 2 starts under his belt. We can't run the ball the entire game...look what happened to Jason White last year in the Orange Bowl (and they had a great running back). Believe me, I want a victory over those guys as much as anyone...but I'm waiting until they come to The Hill next year... I think that will the year we beat the Trojans.
----All games should be in Fayetteville PERIOD----

Macgyver_Hawg

I'm really tired of hearing about how loaded USC is.  They went undefeated last season only, not even the year before.  Norm Chow picked on defenses that he studied that week.  USC can act like it was a team effort and the guy replacing him is just as good and did a lot in the play calling but that's bull.  It's only trying to ease their fans.

They are a very talented team but this is COLLEGE FOOTBALL.  These are college players and if you ever act like you can simply stroll to the NC game there will always be a team to smack you in the mouth.  Year after year it happens.  OU got it from K-State, LSU and last season's USC game.  Auburn was proclaimed the NC 2 years ago and their players thought it, but they didn't score a touchdown until their 3rd game.

Will we beat USC?  No one knows.  If anything the USC game helps the Hogs out the rest of the season.  They will be the toughest team on our schedule and it will teach the players a lot.  If it doesn't then we have bigger problems.