Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Special Teams... we need to work harder on this

Started by Hog6, August 21, 2005, 06:47:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog6

I've seen quite a bit of commentary on this but what is going to make it important to our team?  We just are not going to be able to put the whole package together unless our punter nails it more often that not, our kicker puts it in the endzone every time, not an unusual thing, and our tackling gets more consistent on the downfield end of things.  Houston, Houston, need to work on this, big time.

Biggus Piggus

I get tired of talking about special teams.  We're not even in the game when it comes to placekicking, not remotely close.  It is sad for any of us who lived through the glory years of Arkansas kicking.  Until somebody on staff has expertise in this area, nothing will get done.  It's one of the many small aggravations.
[CENSORED]!

razorprep

we need to bite the bullet and give up a scholarship for a K!

HogDodging

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2005, 10:05:03 am
I get tired of talking about special teams. We're not even in the game when it comes to placekicking, not remotely close. It is sad for any of us who lived through the glory years of Arkansas kicking. Until somebody on staff has expertise in this area, nothing will get done. It's one of the many small aggravations.

James Shibest shouldn't have been allowed on the team plane after the fiasco in Nashville.  Thanks for getting us Boo Williams, but that was a long time ago.
Special team play has been suspect, at best, for how many years now?  Amazingly, it coincides with Shibest's length of service.

Biggus Piggus

Shibest is there to coach receivers.  He shares responsibility for special teams with other members of the staff.  Kickers are pretty much uncoached.  Yup.  They view this as better than trying to coach them, given the ignorance of the entire staff when it comes to kicking fundamentals.
[CENSORED]!

HogDodging

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 22, 2005, 10:55:47 am
Shibest is there to coach receivers. He shares responsibility for special teams with other members of the staff. Kickers are pretty much uncoached. Yup. They view this as better than trying to coach them, given the ignorance of the entire staff when it comes to kicking fundamentals.

Remember when our kicking game used to be great?  There was a time when FGs were as close to being automatic as you could hope for. 
When we had the likes of Little, Lahay, Ordonez, Cox, etc., you could go to get a Coke knowing they were going to make their kicks. 

Inigo Montoya

Maybe we should check out our female soccer team for a kicker. Is it really that bad an idea?

;D

DevilHog

Quote from: razorprep on August 22, 2005, 10:07:56 am
we need to bite the bullet and give up a scholarship for a K!
I'm almost positive that Skinner is on scholarship and ODonnahoe was. So, maybe we need to scout kickers better. We have been left with walk-ons that are better than our scholarship kickers and punters.

PAHog

Were they recruited, or did they walk-on and "earn" a scholarship.  What's wrong with going out and recruiting a K like we do RBs?  How many times just last year could we have kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th & 3 had we had a decent K who could kick from 40+?
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!