Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrimmage Review

Started by lunchbox72703, August 20, 2005, 07:53:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lunchbox72703

1.   Which player was the best at their repsective position?

2.   Grade the offense.

3.   Grade the Defense.

4.   I would say grade the kicking game, but no comment.

5.   after seeing this, give a reasonable expectation of season record

dawgsnhawgs

1. it was hard to tell who did well at his position except for the high profile positions.  on defense vaughn did the best imo, and on offense i'm going with mcfadden.
2. offense gets a C.  i know that robert johnson, hillis, and tubbs didn't play but the offense looked average at best to me.  the quarterbacks especially looked bad, and their were too many bad exchanges/fumbles.
3. defense gets an A.  i was really impressed with the D tonight because they were all over the place, and i really love the frequent blitz.
4. kicking game was obviously struggling.
5. depending on the qb situation, i'm still saying about 7-4. 

3kgthog

I couldn't pick a best player at any position.  They all looked good sometimes and then looked like crap other times.

I gave the offense a D.  Too many stupid trick plays and throws into double coverage.  Also somewhat disappointed in the TEs.  I think Hicks caught two passes and Winston one pass. WOW. 

I'm giving the defense a C.  They got run over at times and were just completely fooled on several running plays.  They also gave up some deep passes on terribly thrown balls.  At least it appears some of them did learn how to tackle. 

The kicking game is absolute crap.  All of the punters were just terrible for the most part. Davis hit two good ones at the very end.  The FG units got a handful blocked, a bunch of them were just plain missed, and a couple of the guys barely had enough steam on their kicks to get it there from 40 yards out.  I think we may have found a kickoff man in that 6'8" dude from Florida. I think he booted both of his kicks to the back of the endzone.  It must be pretty bad when I'm hoping the Scott Hode rumors are true.

My prediction: 6-5 with the kicking game losing us 1 or 2 because of missed FGs and giving the other team good field position because of shanked punts. 

CorningHog

I am a little confused, but I thought Skinner hit some bombs at the very last punt drills, not Davis.  Davis hit a few but not much more than Skinner in terms of hang time, height and distance.  Skinner still looks to be our punter.

Kicker was decent.  Nothing spectacular yet.  Potential there.  Too bad Will Moore's attempt was blocked by a amazing diving stund by John Johnson.

My thoughts are that D Howard continues to look mediocre at best and McFadden burst onto the scene tonight to let everyone know that when healthy, he is going to come to play!  He and Felix Jones looked great, D Poole made a nice catch and run on a dump pass to the flat.  Cedric Logan made the greatest scrimmage catch I have seen and all in all, the offense showed some signs of being a very good unit that is improving.  One thing is clear, after seeing this team on two consecutive Saturdays and albeit without R Johnson tonight at QB, this team can move the chains.  The WR's look ready to catch, they are getting open.  There were a few underthrown balls tonight but the speed is evident and the talent is there at WR.  The TE's look good, blocking and catching.  The running game will be much improved over last year at RB and it sure seems that D Howard will have to fight to get on the field.  Hillis was missing tonight, and he was a large part of the offense last weekend and with him and the young tailbacks, plus the talent at WR, Monk, Baker, Washington, Logan and Fish, possibly Shedrick Johnson and even Rod Coleman was getting separation on some very talented DB's but the ball was not quite where it needed to be so he could run under it.  All that said, I expect a very exciting offense to show up this year.

Defense, I had a hard time putting a strong reading on them, except to see the "talent" that is starting to rise to the top.  They all looked very active and fast to the ball and even when Felix Jones got loose, he had 5 or 6 white jerseys chasing him.  #34 and #16 looked good, Dallas Washington and Matteral Richardson.  Michael Coe looks much better this year too.  The DE's were looking good and the 2nd teamers looked to enjoy the contact as well.  Still not truly able to see all the activity at LB and on the Defensive line, except everyone looks fast, active and in a mood to hit someone.  The secondary seems much more settled and comfortable in the schemes and I expect we won't see as much big play let downs from them this year.  It looks like in a couple more weeks we should see this team improve even more.  I will withhold my full take until after the Missouri St game.

One thing is certain, our offense should be very strong this year.  Defense looks to be much improved and I think you will see more signs on them in the next few weeks.

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Kilgor

It was Skinner that hit the two high, 45 yard bombs at the end.  Balsiero gave him a lot of congrats when he got back to the sideline.

BTW, Skinner needs to cut his hair.  He looked like a european soccer player!  Had a womans hairband in!  :D
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Swino

Don't forget that Sammy O, Brown, Simms and Harrison were held out of the scrimmage while Bleadsoe was limited.   Grant is still out with the broken finger and Vinnette has sore knees.  I think I am missing one more hold out on defense.

bigred7987

Defense gave up 399 yards of total offense...no way they get anything above a C. 

PAHog

1. D: Vinnett, O: McFadden

2. D

3. B

4. D-

5. RJ healthy: 5-6   RJ out: 3-8
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

TULAWHOG

Quote from: Swino on August 21, 2005, 08:40:19 am
Don't forget that Sammy O, Brown, Simms and Harrison were held out of the scrimmage while Bleadsoe was limited. Grant is still out with the broken finger and Vinnette has sore knees. I think I am missing one more hold out on defense.
A. Brown only got 5 plays

Cajun Hog

Quote from: bigred7987 on August 21, 2005, 09:02:19 am
Defense gave up 399 yards of total offense...no way they get anything above a C.

BIG DEAL the offense was for the most part going against the scout team.  The defense was mostly base fronts.    We weren't supposed to see anything or the spies in the stands.