Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scrimmage Updates!!!

Started by lunchbox72703, August 20, 2005, 06:46:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lunchbox72703

right now, the offense is passing all over the defense.  Mortenson has looked sharp.  Rojo is definitely sitting this one out.  McFadden scored on a run.  He is incrediblly fast.  Not much out of fish yet.  Monk is catching almost everything thrown at him.

Since 1894

I have to baby sit my two youngest ones tonight, feed us more updates!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

lunchbox72703

now they are kicking.  Balisero has missed three in row.  None of the the kickers look any good.  Skinner is still being inconsistent with his punting.  Kicking game needs improvement all around!!!

nathanj

lunchbox72703

resting his groin......been pulled too much   :D

lunchbox72703

reggie fish hasn't looked good all day.  he just fumbled the ball.   Punters are starting to look better.  Jared Hicks has been a catching machine over the middle.  No Barthel Yet.

bigred7987

okay thats cool and all but u know the real question we want answered is how crazy herring is going if they are passing all over defense

lunchbox72703

very very crazy!!!!

On a side note though, If Mortenson keeps looking this good, ROJO is on trouble

thundergraham15

Hey really like the update about the game sure wish I could have been there.

Since 1894

Poor ROJO, named starting QB and then a Groin Injury,  Boy I sure miss those college girls!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

lunchbox72703

me too.  Defense is getting baetter now, more penetration.  Intercepted Mortenson once, kncoked dow a couple of passes.  all in all though, I am impressed with Mortenson.  He has been very cool in the pocket.  If this scrimmage is any indication of what the offense will be like, we are definitely more pass orientated.

mossfan3

How is Felix Jones looking?

Michael11

Which back is looking impressive? Is our freshman linebackers doing anything? And is Rod Coleman played at all?
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

Boarcephus

Just got back from the scrimmage and we're just going to have to disagree on how the qb's compared.   I felt Barthel looked much better throwing the ball than Mortinson,  moved the team much better, and had a much better pressence on the field. 

Jones is evasive and has some waggle to him.  DM is tall, fast, but doesn't seem to have the elusviness that FJ has. 

Skinner looked horrible the punts I saw while Davis looked much better. 

Is there a reason Hillis didn't play?   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

lunchbox72703

its over now.  Felix wasn't in enough to get a good read.  Mcfadden looked to be the best.  Backers looked fine, didn't tackle at full speed though.  Casey dick is not anywhere near being prepared for the bigtime yet.  Cole Barthel, Hillis, and the two senior backer did not play.  All in All, Offense looked real good.  Defense didn't.

lunchbox72703

hillis had the flue...Barthel Played?  I didn't even see him.....I thuoght it was Motenson....how embarrising

lunchbox72703

>>>>slaps himself for not being able to read the numbers (ouch)

Kilgor

August 20, 2005, 07:43:35 pm #17 Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 08:08:10 pm by Kilgor
I agree.  Mort looked pretty bad to me.  Barthel looked pretty good and so did Dick.  Our defense needs to work on MAKING interceptions.  They broke 3 or 4 up that should have been picked off.  Our kicking game is pretty bad.  They blocked at least three field goal trys.  Balsiero is the best we have (and that isn't much), but he kicks the ball too low.

Hillis wasn't even on the sideline.  What's up?

I thought Felix Jones and Darren McFadden were both bright spots.  Marcus Monk and Ced Washington played well too.

Our defense played well and I expect a lot from them this year.

BTW, Felix Jones' parents and sister sat by me and are real nice people.  His mom was pretty vocal.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Boarcephus

Mortinson  was #7 and CB was #13.  Mortinson looked extremely average to me and though Barthel didn't set the world on fire he looked better. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

lunchbox72703

I thought Mrtenson was sharp when he was in.  But who I am most impressed with (and I might get slammed for this) was Mcfadden.  I think he looked leaps and bounds above the other backs.

lunchbox72703

hillis was at home sick with the stomach flu

hogblade

Barthel looked way better than Mort. Neither look like SEC Qbs though! Mcfadden was more a straight up runner than what I was expecting but he looked the best of all the backs. Felix looked pretty good though.  Monk only had a couple balls thrown to him, caught two. one really nice one. I wrote down every play and result until I left a little early. I can type it up and put it on here if anyone cares.

Kilgor

Quote from: hogblade on August 20, 2005, 07:52:15 pm
Barthel looked way better than Mort. Neither look like SEC Qbs though! Mcfadden was more a straight up runner than what I was expecting but he looked the best of all the backs. Felix looked pretty good though. Monk only had a couple balls thrown to him, caught two. one really nice one. I wrote down every play and result until I left a little early. I can type it up and put it on here if anyone cares.

Please do!  My memory fades as time goes on.

Nutt_Hate_Me

Our special teams suck every year.  It is the most neglected area of the program.  We haven't had a decent kicker since Latourette left and we haven't had a good punter since Butler left.  Special teams can make the difference between and average team and a great team, or the difference between a good team and a great team.  When will the light finally come on in Nutt's head about this issue.
It's great to be home.

hogblade

Butler sucked his senior year. I thought Jeremy Davis was the best looking PK early

HogNuttz

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on August 20, 2005, 07:46:27 pm
I thought Mrtenson was sharp when he was in. But who I am most impressed with (and I might get slammed for this) was Mcfadden. I think he looked leaps and bounds above the other backs.

You already stated that you thought Barthel was Mort and then you post that Mort looked sharp???  So who looked sharp?  Was it Mort, Barthel, or was it Barthel that u thought was Mort??  It makes about as much sense as you posting twice in a row, then three times in a row, then twice in a row, again.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Macgyver_Hawg

I thought Barthel looked the best.  I didn't see it very well but was Matt Harris the one that broke up a pass in the end zone near the end of the scrimmage?

Kilgor

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 20, 2005, 08:11:41 pm
I thought Barthel looked the best. I didn't see it very well but was Matt Harris the one that broke up a pass in the end zone near the end of the scrimmage?

Yes he did, in the south-west corner.

anghog

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on August 20, 2005, 08:11:41 pm
I thought Barthel looked the best.  I didn't see it very well but was Matt Harris the one that broke up a pass in the end zone near the end of the scrimmage?

Barthel is the better passer.  And i thought he scrambled well.  But he rarely had to as our D still sucks.

But I like Mortenson as well.

Kilgor

I didn't think our D "sucked".  They were agressive and knocked down several passes at the line of scrimmage.  They may have trouble defending the run though.

thaihog

I was at the scrimmage as well.  The one word that came to mind was inconsistent.  Everybody that made good plays, also made bad plays it seemed.  Cedric Logan made an incredible one handed catch on the sideline, but turned around and dropped a punt.  Felix Jones has some great runs, but also fumbled twice (even though I thought Barthel didn't make a good hand off on one of them).  Mort was inconsistent.  His throwing motion isn't that great.  Barthel seems more like a passer, even though he too was inconsistent.  I wasn't overly impressed by the defense either.  Michael Coe had a good interception, which he returned about seventy yards for a TD.  I left soon after that.  I was hoping Anthony Brown would stand out, but he wasn't effective.  McFadden did pretty good, but no big runs.  Herring is real vocal.  That is all for now.

anghog

Quote from: Kilgor on August 20, 2005, 08:17:05 pm
I didn't think our D "sucked".  They were agressive and knocked down several passes at the line of scrimmage.  They may have trouble defending the run though.
They over pursued, arm tackled and had little penetration.

I have heard all summer how Herring is the defensive mesiah.

Tonight the D looked like 2004.

Kilgor

They weren't going to beat the crap out of our offensive players in a freakin preseason scrimmage.  Let's see what you have to say about the defense after a real game.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hogblade on August 20, 2005, 07:52:15 pm
Barthel looked way better than Mort. Neither look like SEC Qbs though! Mcfadden was more a straight up runner than what I was expecting but he looked the best of all the backs. Felix looked pretty good though. Monk only had a couple balls thrown to him, caught two. one really nice one.

Agree with neither one looking the part of an SEC qb and I couldn't  agree more with DM being more of a straight up runner.  No question he's fast but he doesn't really have the swivel hip look I was expecting.   Jones was as advertised to me, kinda stocky, plenty fast, first tackler has a hard time wrapping him up, and I'd wager will play plenty this year. 

Logan made a great one handed catch of a nice ball thrown by CB but turned around and fumbled a punt return.  One thing about the OL....no didn't see alot of guts hanging out.

thundergraham15

what did the freshman Graham and Fairchild do after bing thrown to the wolves.

anghog

Quote from: Kilgor on August 20, 2005, 08:24:30 pm
They weren't going to beat the crap out of our offensive players in a freakin preseason scrimmage.  Let's see what you have to say about the defense after a real game.

The freaking preseason scrimmage is, in part, how defensive players make first string.
I am sure that the D hopes no one on offense gets injured but they are competing for starting jobs.

Do you think Herring told the D "lets not beat the crap out of-em" before the scrimmage?

Kilgor

Multiple times they didn't go full bore into the player when they could have.  I think HDN and Herring told the defensive players not to layout a defenseless offensive player in the scrimmage.

anghog

Quote from: Kilgor on August 20, 2005, 08:36:23 pm
Multiple times they didn't go full bore into the player when they could have.  I think HDN and Herring told the defensive players not to layout a defenseless offensive player in the scrimmage.

Maybe so...

Did they also tell them to miss tackles and not pressure the QB?

I hope like hell they improve between tonight and this season...and they will.

I bet Herring is not pleased right now.

Fletch

I have been to several red-white scrimmages in the past and I don't think you can read much into a season by them. Some guys look great and end up being average and vice versa. They are fun to watch and break down but I don't think they are very indicative of how the team will perform once the season starts.
I feel like $100

anghog

Quote from: Fletch on August 20, 2005, 08:44:26 pm
I have been to several red-white scrimmages in the past and I don't think you can read much into a season by them. Some guys look great and end up being average and vice versa. They are fun to watch and break down but I don't think they are very indicative of how the team will perform once the season starts.

Exactly

I went to the B-Ball red-white game last year and was impressed with Dontell Jefferson.....

Reguardless our D looked 2004.

Boarcephus

Quote from: mamagraham on August 20, 2005, 08:29:41 pm
what did the freshman Graham and Fairchild do after bing thrown to the wolves.

I'm really bad at watching individual players cause I follow the ball like alot of fans.  I did make it a point to find Grahm (wore #15 as I recall)  and the one thing about him that surprised me was he looked bigger than what I was expecting.   I remember thinking when I saw him was I could envision him carrying 235+ and looking like the OU and Miami LB's that I've always been envious of.

leavenworth1

FYI, Hogwired just posted the play by play from the scrimmage.  I was impressed that McFadden and Jones got the most carries of all the backs.And Kevin Thornton apparently got the most tackles.   In typical Hogwired fashion, you kind of have to work hard to find out the information, it's kind of scrambled in parts. 

Flatline

From reading some of these post we should just forfeit the season.  I have never seen so many people that poor mouth the hogs.  The offense and defense are not going to do anything special.  The reason is that other people watch besides hog fans.  They also don't want anyone hurt before the season starts.

Fletch

Quote from: RedRazor on August 20, 2005, 08:56:20 pm
geez, I was afraid of this...and you would think after 8 years...that we would start to see some consistency in our team from players being in a system over time and showing the freshmen the basic fundementals....but we don't have that kind of discipline in this program. This is why we struggle every year. It sounds like Herring was a step in the right direction but can he do it by himself. :razorback:
With all of the  experienced players that were held out and injured(R Johnson, Hillis, Butu, Brown, etc.) we shouldn't expect midseason form. It sounds like many freshmen contributed to tonights scrimmage so I would expect it to look a little chaotic at times.
I feel like $100

Flatline

Quote from: Fletch on August 20, 2005, 09:14:42 pm
Quote from: RedRazor on August 20, 2005, 08:56:20 pm
geez, I was afraid of this...and you would think after 8 years...that we would start to see some consistency in our team from players being in a system over time and showing the freshmen the basic fundementals....but we don't have that kind of discipline in this program. This is why we struggle every year. It sounds like Herring was a step in the right direction but can he do it by himself. :razorback:
With all of the experienced players that were held out and injured(R Johnson, Hillis, Butu, Brown, etc.) we shouldn't expect midseason form. It sounds like many freshmen contributed to tonights scrimmage so I would expect it to look a little chaotic at times.

AMEN.  Thank you.  If we fall on our face before USC then you guys can start the fireHDN thing again but at least wait till we see the real deal.

Kilgor

Quote from: Flatline on August 20, 2005, 09:13:13 pm
From reading some of these post we should just forfeit the season. I have never seen so many people that poor mouth the hogs. The offense and defense are not going to do anything special. The reason is that other people watch besides hog fans. They also don't want anyone hurt before the season starts.

I completely agree.  However, it was very clear that our kicking game will be poor again.  There was a 6' 8" kicker (Dorvchek or something like that) that booted kickoffs to the back of the endzone.  He didn't fair well in field goals though.

Flatline

I think they just want him for kickoffs only.  They plan on someone else kicking FG's

Jaison Black

Quote from: anghog on August 20, 2005, 08:42:17 pm
Quote from: Kilgor on August 20, 2005, 08:36:23 pm
Multiple times they didn't go full bore into the player when they could have. I think HDN and Herring told the defensive players not to layout a defenseless offensive player in the scrimmage.

Maybe so...

Did they also tell them to miss tackles and not pressure the QB?

I hope like hell they improve between tonight and this season...and they will.

I bet Herring is not pleased right now.

You were obviously not at the same scrimmage i was. Most of the time Mort and CB were pressured into throwing bad passes.

Offensive wasn't stella but you can see there are going to be a lot of changes now that we have receivers that can catch.

I agree that the defense was laying off a little on hitting but they also were staying in the backfield. Pass defense looked a little shaky at times and perfect at others. A. Brown doesn't stop moving. Always on the go.

D. Mcfadden has a great burst to the outside and can really run.
Felix can motor as well and lowers his shoulders and never stops moving his feet. I think the first guy brought him down maybe once.

Defense swarms to the ball. A few missed tackles but nothing like 2004.

Field goal kicking team is horrible right now, but the field goal blocking team has some real gusto to it. I feel real good about the defensive special teams.

All in all, i thought they showed a lot of improvement and know more of what to work on before the season gets underway.

I really feel no worse than 7-4 now.

Freshman backs are studs.

Fish is very elusive when he gets into traffic.
I love my kids, but this is my baby.http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/razr76/Side.jpg

lunchbox72703

I think McFadden will be the starter by mid season.  and as for Mortenson, reagardless of how bad I got slammed for my numbers mistake earlier.....and thinking about it further now, I still think Mortenson was calm under pressure, threw the ball well, and could give ROJO a run for his money.

By the way, HogNuttz, the beauty of this board is the freedom to post, and if I choose to post multiple times because I have thought of another thing to say, then I will.  Unlike a chat room, responses aren't met instantly in here, and If I choose to clarify or add something to an earlier post, then I will.  LAY OFF!!!  You're ruining my hogs buzz.

Biggus Piggus

Not many regulars played on defense.
[CENSORED]!