Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fan day nightmare

Started by arkhogdog61, August 20, 2005, 06:27:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkhogdog61

they need to regulate how many items you can have signed, my brother took the kids and only got to the receivers and off. line what a rip what do you guys think? he said some people had 6 or 7 things to get signed.   GO HOGS
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Slacker

They could just not do fan day at all. I'd suggest you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Skip Foreplay

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on August 20, 2005, 06:27:31 pm
they need to regulate how many items you can have signed, my brother took the kids and only got to the receivers and off. line what a rip what do you guys think? he said some people had 6 or 7 things to get signed. GO HOGS
Rip?  I guess these kids owe you?

CharlieHog

They announced a limit of 2 items per person.

Ash

And we all know pricks that will ignore that just as they ignore the 20 item limit at wal-mart.

arkhogdog61

August 20, 2005, 10:21:13 pm #5 Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 10:28:04 pm by arkhogdog61
pig your picture fits you perfect, i never said the kids owed me anything just that it should be more organized. and to slacker about looking the gift horse in the mouth hell whats their scholarship worth about a 100,000 grand i think they could sign autographs for 6 hours wouldn't be asking to much!

CorningHog

I am the brother that took the kids, it was pretty sad.  I have not been to one of these in a couple of years after the first time they had the thing at the Tyson area and no one bothered to put designated areas.  People just cut line and went where they wanted, ignoring the whole "stand in line" and wait.

We got there at 10:20 and stood at the TE's & WR's tent line and got one item apiece for my 2 nephews and niece and it took until 11:40.  Then, as they announced only 20 minutes were left, we got in the Offensive linemans line and barely got those.  I stood outside the tents and watched and there had to be some people getting 4 to 5 or more things signed.  Then they would ask the players to stand up and get pictures made.  It was definitely nerve racking.  Oh well, I know the Athletic staff tries to accomodate but Shanklin and others there in the marketing were not even on the scene.  Just the players sitting at tables and signing.  The thing does need more supervision.

I have to admit too, there were as many adults getting their hats signed and I saw trash cans, flags, lots of stuff that I would never have thought of getting signed.  The little kids tend to get edged out on this stuff some.

Anyhow, don't know if any other Hogville patrons were bothered.  I may have to skip this thing entirely in the future.  Talked to Robert Felton for a second and he says they expect a great season and everyone has worked extremely hard!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

3kgthog

Blame ebay.  I'd bet those people getting 7 items signed are keeping 1 item and profiting from the rest. 

CorningHog

The adults, probably, and there were quite a few near us.  But there were kids and their parents that looked like they were getting everything signed.

Shanklin and the marketing arm could put this on at Bud Walton arena, inside, where the hot and humid weather is not a killer, and you could make booths all around the concourse, or even in RRS around the concourses and do 2 major things.

Make ONE continuous line for autographs and put the players in the middle in numerical order or alphabetical order or even in terms of popularity for that matter, but make sure you put them with tables on each side of them, in a continuous fashion so that they can turn from one side to the other, front to back and be able to sign 4 on one side, switch and do 4 on the other.  This would make it fair and easier for supervision.  Shanklin and others could police this and when they saw someone asking for 3 items signed, they would simply have to enforce that.  Plus getting the picture taking moved to another area would be helpful.

There has to be an easier way, plus just getting it out of the heat would help.

Come on Matt!

Slacker

Quote from: arkhogdog61 on August 20, 2005, 10:21:13 pm
whats their scholarship worth about a 100,000 grand i think they could sign autographs for 6 hours wouldn't be asking to much!

So you do think they owe you something. Okay. You're perrogative man. No sweat. I think it's great the fans and kids get a chance to meet and greet the players, coaches, cheer squads, etc. up close and personal. All I'm saying is, they don't have to do this. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, or you may not get it.  :P

Tomhog™

Quote from: Ash on August 20, 2005, 09:50:27 pm
And we all know pricks that will ignore that just as they ignore the 20 item limit at wal-mart.

I'll admit *sob*....  I was at Walmart last night with my wife and we got in the 10 item Express lane.... We had *sniff*  11 items....... :D

arkhogdog61

are you saying the kids or the u of a?  I'll bet it's mandatory for the kid's unless their sick like Peyton.

toshortrock

i heard it was a nightmare
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

MarieHogFan

Quote from: Slacker on August 20, 2005, 06:31:21 pm
They could just not do fan day at all. I'd suggest you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  :)

I don't understand how this post has anything to do with people abusing the system of limiting the number of items that can be signed?

arkhogdog61

I was just saying that if everyone just brought 3 items it would have been better! didn't say they owed me anything just that it should be monitored!

doubleH

imagine what its like at ou where there are about 30,000 people all wanting adrian peterson's autograph. Heard it was ridiculous

CorningHog

I can only imagine that OU's was more difficult but I think our's is certainly able to be improved.  Heck, I don't even have a problem with the extra stuff or "adults" getting things signed.  Yes, a lot of people support the Hogs and even if you are just a ticket holder, that is a lot of money to spend on taking your kids or wife to the games.  The "heat" that they always put this thing on in is bad too.  The sponsors could be brought in and this thing could be done really well at the stadium and I think the players would enjoy it more.  Getting your pictures taken with the cheerleaders, mascots, players, coaches, etc.... could be enhanced by just planning this thing in a shaded area like the concourse at RRS or one better would be the air conditioning of Bud Walton Arena.  There could be a lot added so that "FAN DAY" could really be about interacting with the players and coaches and let all "fans" have a fair chance at getting the opportunity to enjoy the experience without wilting in the August sun.

There could also be some "fan" activities out there by vendors and have all the shirts, hats, memorabilia and other stuff set up at booths.  You could have fund raisers available too for worthwhile causes, a food drive, whatever.....

Mainly make it more appealing so it draws the fans from central Arkansas more, and other parts of the state.  I think it could become a big time addition to the schedule for those fans who support their Hogs so well.

I just think my main complaint is, it is not well thought out and poorly set up as far as lines and things.  I still like my idea for either RRS or Bud Walton arena.

Somebody call Matt Shanklin and I will give him my idea for free, he can take the credit and the University can make $300K off the days events.  Charitable donations to the Razorback Foundation would surely go up!

Should we call Harold Horton or Chuck Dicus?

GO HOGS!

Cornhogio

Speaking of makin' money, do they open the concession stands?
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

snoutface

I've taken my son up for 4 years straight and actually thought this one was better than the previous years simply because of the way it was set up- by position rather than  alphabetically, scattered all over.  I brought my teenage daughter along this year (what was I thinking) so I let the kids divide and conquer.  Still, my son got in the "backs" line and never got through.  My daughter made it through the receivers, lb & kickers, and dl.  Qb/Rb is always most popular- several folks were talking about getting there at 8:00 to be first in line.  Corning, I like your idea.  The heat this year was brutal.  All in all, it's a great time and I think the players are to be commended for their patience.  The only downside for me was my daughter flipping for some kicker named Dorchak.  All those future NFLers and she falls for a kicker.  Wait til her mom finds out.
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

Macgyver_Hawg

I've checked around with other schools fans from OU to Auburn and they all say the same thing.  Lines too long and signing time is too short.  I think Florida State and Duke had an indoor signing that went ok.  OU fans only get to have ONE item signed and they start signing at 2PM in 95 degree heat.

junkyardhog

Quote from: Slacker on August 20, 2005, 10:58:30 pm
whats their scholarship worth about a 100,000 grand i think they could sign autographs for 6 hours wouldn't be asking to much!

So you do think they owe you something. Okay. You're perrogative man. No sweat. I think it's great the fans and kids get a chance to meet and greet the players, coaches, cheer squads, etc. up close and personal. All I'm saying is, they don't have to do this. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, or you may not get it. :P

Slack, yes they do owe the fans. We put the butts in the seats. The least they can do is have a 'respectable' fan day. This is the reason I don't even go.

Slacker

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 21, 2005, 08:34:47 pm
Quote from: Slacker on August 20, 2005, 10:58:30 pm

So you do think they owe you something. Okay. You're perrogative man. No sweat. I think it's great the fans and kids get a chance to meet and greet the players, coaches, cheer squads, etc. up close and personal. All I'm saying is, they don't have to do this. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, or you may not get it. :P

Slack, yes they do owe the fans. We put the butts in the seats. The least they can do is have a 'respectable' fan day. This is the reason I don't even go.

M'kay Junk.

Anybody else here ever hear of looking a gift horse in the mouth, the pro's and cons?

junkyardhog

dammit slacker, don't m'kay me! you must respect my authoriti!! ;D

Actually, 2 measly hours is pathetic. We are the ones who give THEM chill bumps as they walk down the line at WMS. We are the ones who LOVE them regardless if they they havent' been to a NC since before I was born. WE are the ones who hate Tenn and hate Texass because we love them.  They owe us in a loyalty kind of way, not in a bitch kind of way. There's a difference.

Slacker

August 21, 2005, 10:05:29 pm #23 Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 10:08:34 pm by Slacker
Quote from: junkyardhog on August 21, 2005, 09:56:02 pm
dammit slacker, don't m'kay me! you must respect my authoriti!! ;D

Actually, 2 measly hours is pathetic. We are the ones who give THEM chill bumps as they walk down the line at WMS. We are the ones who LOVE them regardless if they they havent' been to a NC since before I was born. WE are the ones who hate Tenn and hate Texass because we love them.  They owe us in a loyalty kind of way, not in a bitch kind of way. There's a difference.

M'kay.  ;D

heathshogs

I would say that this year was one of the better organized over the last 4 years.
I don't think I saw anyone blantantly ignoring the 2 item limit.
Organizing it by position was a much better system than alphabetical.
Also cutting people off at the edge of the tent helped. If you did get stay inline long enough to get to the players, you didn't have to worry about people jumping in from the side and what not.
The time limit does need to be extended as it is basically impossible to get to all the players. I got there arounf 9:00 and was about 50 people back inthe Qb/RB line. I was extremely annoyed when Hillis turned out sick but these things happen.
I did end up getting a poster around to every table by having different people in different lines and switching around. For instance while I was in the RB line my sister got in the WR line so when I was done I replaced her and my brotehr in-law went to  the DBs line. So basically as soon as you got the signatures from one group, the other one was about to the front of the line. Even then we managed to get through the final tent with only a minute or so to spare and several of the players had already walked off.
I think to work it properly you need a team effort of about 3 people. Where 2 are in line at a given time and 1 is moving the signed item. But then only 1 really gets to meet the players in a given group.
I also wonder how many people in the RB line didn't know Hillis was sick. They made an announcement right at 10:00 but I'm not certain people at the back at that point could hear it.
Also as someone else mentioned there's a problem with having a 6 hour break between autographs and scrimmage. Maybe they could run the autograph session from noon to 3:00 or moving the scrimmage up. I heard several people complaining that they couldn't hang around for the scrimmage and needed to get back home. I'm sure there were people at the scrimmage who were disappointed they couldn't make it in time for fan day.

In 1997 under Danny Ford, it was simple. A row of tables down each sideline. People would start at 1 end of the field go all the way down the back up the other side. It was still much like that in 99, but they moved it into the Walker Pavilion to account for any weather problems and possibly make it cooler.
I like the idea of doing it in the stadium. If they are worried about the grass,you can pu the at tabls in the stands or as someone above said, on the concourse. On the concourse could work easily, open the entrances at the NW corner have guys signing down that side across the endzone and back up the East side allowing them to exit at the NE corner. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

hogsanity

Here is the burning question in my mind about this " WHAT THE HE#$ IS SO DA&* GREAT ABOUT GETTING AUTOGRAPHS FROM THESE GUYS THAT YOU WOULD SATDN IN THE HEAT FOR HOURS TO GET THEM?"  THey ought to make it for people 12 and under, 1 item per.  Of course that would keep these "adults" from their brush with greatness.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CorningHog

Heres one more thought.  If they would have it at RRS and showcase the place and the players, with the tables like I mentioned where the players are in the middle of tables on both sides, put the "22 starters" in the front.  That way, everyone will get the opportunity to get the 22 deep players.  This should insure that all fans get their signatures.

Start one line on the NE side front of the concourse and let it wind back and forth thru a designated start area over by the eastern or walls, where the bathrooms are.  The western walls have the concession stands.  You could do photographs in the South Endzone where the tables are for eating during games.  The novelty shops would be open, you could run specials and have booths set up.  Kind of like the "Champions for Kids" day and even raise the money for that charity.

You would move folks thru pretty quick since the 100 players would be surrounded on both sides with fans and tables.  After the 10am to 12pm setting, a "break" could happen for the players and coaches, a "fish fry" could take place or something like that and the players and coaches could "break bread" with the common folks and fans for an hour.  The "autograph session" could resume and the photo opportunities would begin with the "22 players and maybe a selection of other player" while the rest of the team and coaches or a combination would go back to the autograph area.

This could work so much better and what better way to get "more" fans introduced to our showplace, Reynolds Razorback Stadium, and make this event a "charitable" offering as well.

There would probably be kinks in this idea too, but at least get it indoors somewhat, Promise Keepers was in there and it was cooler in the concourses than out in the stadium.  You could have some real fun with the kids and the cheering stuff.

Give the kids a chance to cheer with the Pom Pom girls, I saw lots of little girls in their cheerleading uniforms, and of course, get some cool pictures of the little guys with the Razorback players!

This is ONE event that could get our "little" fans a chance to enjoy a "Razorback Moment".

Anyone know how to get a hold of Matt Shanklin?

GO HOGS!

Buck Ocean

QuoteI think it's great the fans and kids get a chance to meet and greet the players, coaches, cheer squads, etc. up close and personal.

And if you time it right, you might even get a chance to blow out with one of them....have a 40 oz....take a pee somewhere on Dickson Street.
Think like a Jedi