Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Fans' 10 Commandments

Started by Buff, August 19, 2005, 09:12:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buff

Thus Sayeth the Great Hog Fan

I.    If thou be-est a student, thou shalt NOT sit down.
II.  Thou shalt refer to rule number one at all times.
III.  Thou shalt not leave Bud Walton until the final buzzer sounds. After a victory, thou shalt stay and sing "It's Hard to be Humble" with thy band.
IV.  Thou shalt participate in all cheers.
V.  Thou shalt leave thy voice in Bud Walton.
VI.  Thou shalt never stop cheering for thy team, no matter the score.
VII.  Thou shalt honor thy team, band, cheerleaders, and pom-squad so that our wins may increase.
VIII.  Thou shalt have no other colors but red and white before me.
IX.  Face paint, signs, witty and clever heckling of opponents, and general craziness are goodly in my sight, and are as the sweet smell of Hogs.
X.  Thou MUST pass these traditions down to all who wish to become TRUE HOG FANS.

KEEP YE WELL THESE COMMANDMENTS AND ALL OPPONENTS SHALL FLEE BEFORE US!!!

-- Possibly written by Roy Hill, with assistance from some other students

3kgthog

I guess a ton of people on this board (and other boards) are sinners then. I've seen tons that have professed support for other college teams besides the Hogs, Notre Dame and Iowa being two of them.  People that have multiple allegiances make me want to  :puke:

hawkeyefan17

Good list. I wouldn't even come close to a "true hog fan" according to that. I don't have multiple allegiances. I am a die hard Hawkeye fan and I would say the Hogs are my second team. I like the Hogs, I support them and I want them to do well but I am by no means a "true Hog fan".

I am not from Arkansas, I am from Iowa but I live in Arkansas now. I like the place and I enjoy following and watching the Hogs and ocassionally going to games. I have been to many Hogs sporting events and I have a very deep appreication of Hog fans. That is why I joined this forum. I respect Hog fans and I love to talk sports. When I see how much the Hogs mean to my wife (and she doesn't even like sports if the Hogs aren't involved) it is hard not to like Razorback fans.

pork-e-pine

Oh the saddness of graduation. 
It seems to me that an important yet overlooked commandment was XI thou shalt arive 2 hours early for a normal game and 4 hours early for a conference game and 6 hours early for Texas in football or Kentucky in basketball to ensure the players can hear you. 
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: pork-e-pine on August 20, 2005, 02:23:42 am
Oh the saddness of graduation.
It seems to me that an important yet overlooked commandment was XI thou shalt arive 2 hours early for a normal game and 4 hours early for a conference game and 6 hours early for Texas in football or Kentucky in basketball to ensure the players can hear you.

This guy must be a non drinker.....  Times look a little short to me

Nutt_Hate_Me

The multiple allegiances thing is a joke to me too.  There are other teams I am interested in watching.  I may pull for another team if they are the underdog or are playing a team that I hate.  But I'm a fan of one team and one team only.

The people that say my husband or wife went to school X so I'm a fan of them too, that's BS.  That makes me hate the team even more.  My wife went to a different school and she does me a favor by Hatin on the UofA and I return the favor by Hatin on MSU, it's a lot more fun that way.
It's great to be home.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Nutt_Hate_Me on August 20, 2005, 09:06:37 am
The multiple allegiances thing is a joke to me too. There are other teams I am interested in watching. I may pull for another team if they are the underdog or are playing a team that I hate. But I'm a fan of one team and one team only.

The people that say my husband or wife went to school X so I'm a fan of them too, that's BS. That makes me hate the team even more. My wife went to a different school and she does me a favor by Hatin on the UofA and I return the favor by Hatin on MSU, it's a lot more fun that way.
On weekends when the Hogs have an open date I try to take Saturday off. My wife has the good sense to leave town for the day. I do not invite any friends over. I am completely alone. I watch every college football game that's available. I root against all the teams I can't stand (and there's a BUNCH of them). I berate the refs. I question the coaching. I throw things at the TV when those dopey sideline babes ask dumb questions at halftime. In short I can be as unreasonable as I want. I answer to no one. By Sunday I am a new man.

Feralhog

With the influx of people moving into NW Arkansas, it's perfectly understandable for people, who've been a fan of a program, continue to be a fan of that program.  Jeeez!  I live in Missouri, and while I pull for the Tigers, that doesn't  mean I'm a Mizzou fan.

I'm honored that people moving here from out of state have adopted the hogs as their 2nd team.  What I don't understand is people growing up and still living in Arkansas, having a second team.  If that's what your saying,  I agree whole heartedly.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Anti-OtisII

My neighbors are from Mississippi and one is a MSU grad and the other is an Ole Miss grad.  This year their daughter will be attending UofA as an incoming freshman.  They've been going to a few games a year and decided this year to buy season tickets and contribute to the Razorback Foundation.  I look at it like we've just added another family to our Razorback nation.  By the time the next generation comes along, they will be full-blooded Razorbacks.  Throw in the fact that their daughter is very pretty and even smarter, and I say that we are pretty lucky to have her.  Hopefully, she'll marry an Arkansas boy and our gene pool will eventually that much better.  GHG!

Nutt_Hate_Me

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on August 20, 2005, 10:54:28 am
My neighbors are from Mississippi and one is a MSU grad and the other is an Ole Miss grad. This year their daughter will be attending UofA as an incoming freshman.

What probably happened here is that the Husband was from one inbred MSU family and the Wife was from one inbred Ole Miss family.  Since they finally married outside the family tree the two negatives cancelled each other out and made a positive, the daughter.  The daughter having her wits about her decides to go to the UofA because it's got a better campus, better facilities, better athletic tradition than those two schools combined.
It's great to be home.

hawkeyefan17

Mike,
I agree with you on watching games. I can't watch games with friends. I have to watch by myself and scream at the TV. My wife and I used to be able to watch Hogs games together but that is becoming increasingly difficult. I have to be alone.

When you watch games with friends the game increasingly becomes secondary to the joking around and shooting the crap that friends inherently do. I want to watch every play and be able to cheer or scream in anger whenever I please and not worry about what other people that might be around think. My wife usually visits her parents or goes shopping on Saturdays.

My best friend is a Cyclone fan, we got together a couple years ago to watch an Iowa vs. Iowa State football game. It did not go well. We agreed to never watch games together again.

When I first moved to Bentonville, I hated Arkansas. I expected Hog fans to be arrogant people. I remember moving to Southwest Missouri (there are a lot of Hog fans there) in the middle of the 1994 basketball season everyone there had Hog fever and they made fun of me for maintaining my Hawkeye allegiance. "You don't live in Iowa anymore, you need to be a Hog fan" the kids at school would say, you won't make it here if you aren't a Hog fan". Comments like that just made me hold on to my Hawkeye allegiance even more.

It wasn't until I moved to Bentonville that I began to realize that Hog fans are pretty cool. I found out that most Hog fans aren't arrogant and I also found out that as much as Hog fans love Razorback basketball and the success of the 1990's, this is a football state.

As much as any place I have ever been the pride Arkansans have in their state is tied up in the Hogs. The whole state supports the Razoback program and the Hogs success means a lot to even Arkansans who may not follow the teams.

I see a lot of similarities between Hog fans and Hawkeye fans (there are some glaring differences obviously) I see the passiion that Hog fans have for their teams, it is hard not to be drawn to it.

So I have become a Hog fan but my "allegiance" will always be to the Iowa Hawkeyes.