Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Monk get drafted?

Started by hawgwild1087, January 02, 2008, 03:38:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgwild1087

I think theres no doubt Monks draft stock dropped significantly this year.  I still think he has good enough hands to get some looks at the pro level but hes to slow to be a deep threat.  I think if he put on some pounds he could be a pretty solid possession reciever i.e. Matt Jones. Thoughts?

preach33

If Monk would have stayed - the Petrino offense would have been perfect for him. But, there is obviously no way he could have known what was going to take place. I hate it for him. Nonetheless, he did make the decision to play.

pcrouch3809

I'm thinking 6th or 7th round.  Just like Colston

ArkansasI

I don't think Marcus will get drafted.  He isn't fast enough to play in the NFL.  Has he ever caught in motion?

Of course, he has great hands and I expect that he may get some free agent looks.  I wish him well.  He was a good Razorback.

Pork Twain

Maybe but not nearly as high as he would have if he would have redshirted and played for BP next year.  His play after the injury did not help him at all and he better hope for some great camps.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

preach33

I would say as high as fifth - but most likely undrafted then signed as a free agent.

Shizzle

I don't think I have ever saw his 40 time. I bet they say 4.6 but no way he that fast IMO
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

preach33

Also depends on how good he performs at the combines and if he gets an invite to the senior bowl.

hogdiggity

Unless he has a really good combine, he will be a very late round draft.  A really good combine could move him up to a middle round.  He should have redshirted no matter who the coach was going to be.

Calling All Hogs

He needs to impress at the NFL Scouting Combine and show he has recovered. Unfortunately the Combine
is next month so I question how healthy he will be.  Horrible decision to play this year.

hogman64

Said it before and will say it again.......If Monk wants to play in the NFL playing this year was dumb.. If he is ready to leave the U of A and start some type career other than the NFL  then the decision was fine.  I think he was goaded in to the decision by a selfish , worthless coach, Houston Nutt.  Monk looks horrible on the field. he looks like a 38 year old pro wide receiver that barely can get out of bed in the morning, he has  ZERO chance of making a move to get away from a defender once he catches the ball.... I appreciate his efforts and he seems to be a good guy, but the Nutt influence  did him in as far as his pro chances.  One year under Petrino and he would have either gained big bucks as a pro prospect or found out for sure he isnt one.. now he will probably never know what could have happened.

pimpndistress

we did not even use him in the cotton bowl   what a joke  he got like 1 pass  if I was Monk I would be PISSED
:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: pcrouch3809 on January 02, 2008, 03:40:55 pm
I'm thinking 6th or 7th round.  Just like Colston
What I was saying . . . IF that.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

razorback903

I think he will be great...In the AAFL.  Just think, Stoerner to Monk...Touchdown!!!

Go Team Arkansas!!!

LMAO
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

hogman64

I dont know how many catches Monk had this year, but I bet he set an NCAA record for LEAST yards after catch. He couldnt have juked out  a nose guard in open field.. Watching him was painful.. He looked like Nick Nolte  in North Dallas Forty, for those around in 1979....

MGCAPRI

In my opinion he got very poor advice and made a very bad desicion to even play this year and not reshirting the year. Now I beleive if he gets drafted it will be in the very late rounds and would probably be better for him if he doesn't get drafted.

HeathWimp

I think that Monk is probably done with football.

My idiot ex-boss, who was from the same part of the state as Monk and claimed to know him well, always said how smart Monk is.  Hopefully that is true, and Monk will be able to do well in something other than football.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

oldfart

i love marcus to death as a hog and for what he has contributed to the team, but he did himself no favor by coming back this fall after his injury.  it did nothing to enhance his chances in the draft, and probably hurt them if nothing else.  the woods are full of 6-4 to 6-6 receivers now, and marcus is not a blazer by any means.  hopefully will be drafted, most likely a free agent.

Master B

I love his hands and heart, but a slightly better than average receiver with a bum knee doesn't get drafted.  Everyone will be scared of his knee, it was hard to watch this past year.

HogFaninMemphis

I bet he gets drafted early on the second day of the draft.
He has been hurt, but he's also 6-6.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

havok

Monk will definately get drafted... unless he doesn't putting his name in the draft, failing some major medical issue, decides to go into dog fighting...etc.

His Height and Hands will get him at least a 4th round pick....if he runs a Sub 4.5 at the combine/pro-days he will jump into the 2nd round.

artyhog

31to6

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 02, 2008, 03:42:17 pm
I don't think Marcus will get drafted.  He isn't fast enough to play in the NFL.  Has he ever caught in motion?

Of course, he has great hands and I expect that he may get some free agent looks.  I wish him well.  He was a good Razorback.
There are lots of slow receivers in the NFL.

I think he will either be drafted very late or win a spot as an undrafted free agent because he has an amazing ability to make catches in traffic.

He won't ever be a Jerry Rice, but LOTS of teams can use a guy with his size and separation skills who can be relied upon to catch the ball. The Vikings, for example, would take a sure-handed possession receiver like Monk in a heartbeat. They don't anyone on the team except a very untested tight end and talented but unseasoned Sidney Rice (who they drafted to replace Troy Williamson if he works out) that they can throw to and expect them to catch the stupid ball. Troy Williamson looks great when he blasts past the defense and catches the ball, but he is just as likely to flat out drop a ball as to catch it: which kills any team that runs a ball-control offense.

ColonelNutt

Yes he will get drafted.  After all, what NFL owner doesn't want a guy who is worth 14-21 points a game?  No Brainer.

wholehog92

Quote from: hogman64 on January 02, 2008, 03:51:03 pm
Said it before and will say it again.......If Monk wants to play in the NFL playing this year was dumb.. If he is ready to leave the U of A and start some type career other than the NFL  then the decision was fine.  I think he was goaded in to the decision by a selfish , worthless coach, Houston Nutt.  Monk looks horrible on the field. he looks like a 38 year old pro wide receiver that barely can get out of bed in the morning, he has  ZERO chance of making a move to get away from a defender once he catches the ball.... I appreciate his efforts and he seems to be a good guy, but the Nutt influence  did him in as far as his pro chances.  One year under Petrino and he would have either gained big bucks as a pro prospect or found out for sure he isnt one.. now he will probably never know what could have happened.

Well said, if he intended to play on Sundays, he made a very poor decision.  By the way how good does Ben Cleveland look right now?  Monk may get on with a team via free agency, which would be better for him than a late draft.  At least he could choose who he tried out for, ie a Minnesota, vs a draft by for instance Greenbay as the last receiver taken, he would never make the team and have to hope someone saw him on preseason film and picked him up midseason and learn a new offense.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

PetinoHog

No, there are many more recievers better. He is slow and frail. Plus he was injured much of the year. In the NFL they don't want people who can't play because they hurt. With the small number on the roster you have to play.

31to6

Quote from: PetrinoHog on January 02, 2008, 06:11:44 pm
No, there are many more recievers better. He is slow and frail. Plus he was injured much of the year. In the NFL they don't want people who can't play because they hurt. With the small number on the roster you have to play.
He's still projected as a top 20 WR and 5th to 6th round. But I think he will have to go win a spot because of uncertainty about his durability. Hence, why he might have to win a spot after the draft.

Coming back destroyed his draft stock.

fullfan

IMO.  He would have gone higher after last years season performance than he will after this one.   Someone mentioned he got some bad advice not redshirting this season... he got some bad advice from HDN who talked him into coming back this year.   His stock last year was one the best WRs in the SEC, this year with injuries and all not so much.   Bad break for him getting injured.

I too have heard that MMonk is pretty scholarly so hopefully if it doesn't work him in the league maybe he continue his education and find a productive career.

Shizzle

I wish I knew the real reason he came back to play this year. Did Murcus Monk say I am not redshirting I am playing? or was he urged by his coaches the importance of getting back on the field? I hope he shows enough in the combine for somebody to take a shot with him. I think this guy has been a great Razorback
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

Milton

I hope my team drafts him, my team, the falcons, are notorious for having recievers with bad hands, and he can fix that. He will pribly go 4th round or close to it,but I belive he will be similiar to Keshawn Jonson.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

The_Hill

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=32827
Monk's draft profile picked to go in the fifth round, runs a 4.59 40.
John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: CallMeHog on January 02, 2008, 03:46:18 pm
He needs to impress at the NFL Scouting Combine and show he has recovered. Unfortunately the Combine
is next month so I question how healthy he will be.  Horrible decision to play this year.

Couple of things:  All seniors are not invited to the NFL Combine.  I really don't think will be invited to participate.  And I don't think he will be drafted. 

Second, the reason I think Monk declined a redshirt season had more to do with the offensive scheme he thought he thought he would be playing in.  Like him or not, there is no way MM could have wanted to play in a Nutt led offense again.  JMO.

CurlyTail

January 02, 2008, 07:49:16 pm #32 Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:07:40 am by CurlyTail
He MAY get signed as a free agent; I just don't see him getting drafted. I hate it for him, because I do think he has the talent.

JusPiggin

no but someone told him he would  maybe a free agent he can get on someone practice squad

dwbhog

After he was injured, the initial reports indicated he may miss 2 or 3 games.  Obviously, the 2nd surgery delayed the healing process.  After missing half the season, I hoped he would sit out the year.  I understand his decision to want to play his senior season & be there with his teammates, but I'm sure he felt he could be more productive than what was shown on the field.  I hope for him he gets drafted, but he may end up a free agent.  Regardless, I wish him the best because he was a really good Razorback.

JLaws

Whether it's fair or not, I think his chances of getting drafted rely solely on his performance at the Scouting Combine. However I do think he'll get plenty of invites to team camps if he doesn't so one way or another if he proves he belongs in with the next 6-8 months, he'll get his shot at the NFL.
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 02, 2008, 04:10:14 pm
I think that Monk is probably done with football.

My idiot ex-boss, who was from the same part of the state as Monk and claimed to know him well, always said how smart Monk is.  Hopefully that is true, and Monk will be able to do well in something other than football.
Yes that's true, Monk lives not too far away from here.  He was the valedictorian at East Poinsett County.

OneLoneHogAmidstTheSteers

Good Lord, people. IMO, Marcus Monk is one of the few true NFL wideouts we've had in recent years. At 6'6", 235 lbs, great hands, and somewhere between a 4.5 and sub 4.6 speed, he's phenomenal. Let's not forget, he is the All-time Arkansas leader in TD receptions. He accomplished this in a run-heavy offense with below average QB play, and, if he were healthy this year, could have broken the SEC's All-time TD reception record held by Chris Doering (31). He's on my All-Time Hog team, that's for damn sure.

As far as the injury goes: He had his knee scoped because he took a helmet to it when CD hung him out to dry over the middle in practice. It's not like he had a complete ACL tear. Sure, that and the decision to play (thanks, HDN, but Randy Moss couldn't have even helped when you don't have a QB to get him the ball) instead of taking the medical redshirt hurt his draft stock, but some of you are talking about him like he's dirt now.
Truth does not become error just because nobody believes it.
-Gandhi

We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work
is the same.

-don Juan Matus
as quoted by Carlos Castaneda

SA Hog Fan

Great hands, looks like he is running in sand.  Free agent at best.  That being said I loved watching him as a Razorback.  Could catch anything thrown his direction.

sowbelly

No. He will not be drafted. He isn't very good. Slow, not physical. I don't get where the other posters get the notion of great hands. I remember many dropped passes. The one thing he can do is be tall and jump for the ball. We know he can run the out pattern. Don't know about the other patterns.

OneLoneHogAmidstTheSteers

Quote from: sowbelly on January 02, 2008, 09:07:20 pm
No. He will not be drafted. He isn't very good. Slow, not physical. I don't get where the other posters get the notion of great hands. I remember many dropped passes. The one thing he can do is be tall and jump for the ball. We know he can run the out pattern. Don't know about the other patterns.

Slow? In last year's SEC Championship game, he burned the Florida CB so bad the kid overaccelerated and fell on his face, and Marcus casually jogged into the endzone for our first score of the game. Not physical? I seem to remember him blasting through 2 LSU DBs at War Memorial for a TD. Throughout his career, he's made ripping poorly thrown balls out of the air and saving picks an art-form. lol As a freshman, he was the ONLY receiver getting open against Saban's Tigers. Don't be so quick to judge, and look at Monk's body of work.
Truth does not become error just because nobody believes it.
-Gandhi

We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work
is the same.

-don Juan Matus
as quoted by Carlos Castaneda

sowbelly

I stand by what I wrote. He never developed as a receiver.

Wildhog

Monk screwed himself.  I don't think he gets drafted.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Man_O_Pork

It'll all be up to his combine performance.  He does well, and I think someone will take a chance on him.

Footballref

NO He might get picked up as an undrafted free agent.
If that happens he will not be in the NFL more than 3 years because he will never make if off of the practice squad.

Monk is slow and if he had game he would have been a factor in yesterdays game and he was virtuely unnoticed yesterday.
Gamer Wideouts make plays no matter who the oppent or who the Dbacks are that cover you.

SA Hog Fan

Some of you guys are getting hung up on whether or not he made a mistake by playing this year or not.  That is not the issue when it comes to the NFL.  The combine will expose Monk.  He was a good college receiver and could have been great in the right system.  But if he had come out last year, this year, redshirted and come out next year, he will still be slow.  NFL drafts speed, see Matt Jones.

Hogzilla

Not unless Congress passes and the President signs legislation.

JLaws

Quote from: SA Hog Fan on January 02, 2008, 09:21:40 pm
Some of you guys are getting hung up on whether or not he made a mistake by playing this year or not.  That is not the issue when it comes to the NFL.  The combine will expose Monk.  He was a good college receiver and could have been great in the right system.  But if he had come out last year, this year, redshirted and come out next year, he will still be slow.  NFL drafts speed, see Matt Jones.

You're EXACTLY right. They'll draft on speed to the point that it can be a flaw of the scouting system when teams will overlook other attributes. Apparently Jerry Rice always had a TERRIBLE 40 time and he seemed to do ok.
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

Col.Mccoy

I think the combine and Sr.bowl will play a HUGE part in whether or not monk is taken in the draft. Due to the fact of his injury last season and him really not getting his fair shake to showcase his talents hear at Arkansas. Reasons being bad QBing and a run based offense. If not drafted in the late rounds of the NFL draft he will be invited into several camps for a try out. He will definitely find a team at the next level. 
We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. - Lone Watie