Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ellis Johnson New DC at Arkansas Per Sporting News and ESPN

Started by Van Boarisson, December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:16:39 am
well...  if you think 25 pts a game and 320, 330, 340 yds a game is good in the SEC...  well... nevermind... I DON'T

I don't, but he is iproving them. read his bio. His first year gave up 100 yards less per game then previous year. herring had more talent to work with.

Hogs12

Quote from: Razorod on December 31, 2007, 11:11:48 am
A DC does not have to be a great recruiter to be very effective in his job. What we need are great hires with the position coaches so they can do the leg work of recruiting. Wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson at Whitt both work in the secondary since they would both have coordinating duties as well.

Johnson--Safeties, DC
Whitt, Jr.--Corners, RC
Allen--LB's, supposedly an effective recruiter
Wolthauzen(sp?)--DL

That seems like a pretty strong group of defensive coaches with possibly three of the four good to strong recruiters.

It is Wolthausen. If this is true, it is a pretty strong group of defensive coaches. I guess that then leaves Tom McMahon( I would be completely surprised if he does not come to Arkansas) to Special Teams duty. I do not know if Wolthausen is a great recruiter but the recruit just has to look what he has done at College to see how great a DL coach he is. I can't wait until the staff gets completely announced.

Gonzo

Looking at the stats from his years at MSU and a couple at Bama, looks like his defenses were fairly solid regarding yardage, but one troubling aspect was that his teams normally seem to rank much lower in points allowed than yards allowed. Seems like they tend to not let teams move the ball a great deal, but maybe struggle a bit with shutting teams down when in scoring opportunities. Might not really be anything, but I'd like it better if those numbers were reversed, kinda like some of the Hogs' classic bend-but-don't-break defenses of the past. If it is an issue, at least it looks like we have a good option in place on the other side of the ball. And, loooking at Petrino's teams over the years, his defenses look to have been better than he gets credit for. Guess we'll start seeing in about 8 months.

Go Hogs! Beat Mizzou!

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:18:12 am
I don't, but he is iproving them. read his bio. His first year gave up 100 yards less per game then previous year. herring had more talent to work with.

Look at the stats, man.  The last 3 years (except Ark. 06) they are the same!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

hog_fan

Quote from: Hogs12 on December 31, 2007, 11:18:59 am

It is Wolthausen. If this is true, it is a pretty strong group of defensive coaches. I guess that then leaves Tom McMahon( I would be completely surprised if he does not come to Arkansas) to Special Teams duty. I do not know if Wolthausen is a great recruiter but the recruit just has to look what he has done at College to see how great a DL coach he is. I can't wait until the staff gets completely announced.

No room for him if those other 4 coach defense. 5 on offense and 4 on defense.

bhuie

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:16:39 am
well...  if you think 25 pts a game and 320, 330, 340 yds a game is good in the SEC...  well... nevermind... I DON'T

Dude, we're talking about MISSISSIPPI STATE here!  How 'bout a little context? 

Johnson took over a defense that allowed 473.5 yards and 39.3 points per game in 2003, and has improved those averages tremendously.  What will he be able to do with the better talent available to him at Arkansas?  I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out...

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:20:05 am
Look at the stats, man.  The last 3 years (except Ark. 06) they are the same!

You don't get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had alot less to work with then Herring did. Does that mean anything to you?

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:21:39 am
You don't get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He had alot less to work with then Herring did. Does that mean anything to you?

I'm not sold... I don't like it... we could have done better.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Lonnie Earl

Folks, Bud Foster and/or Charlie Strong weren't coming! Get over it....

This is a good hire by Bobby Petrino. I'm happy to pluck a very good D-Coordinator from another SEC team...

:razorback:

PIGLETT

Its all rumors until the fat lady sings!!!!!!

hirebutchdavis

I am really surprised reggie didn't go with hapless.  anyone know the story?

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:23:12 am

Name who you wanted then. I'm sure he tried for Foster, strong, and georgia tech guy but two have god jobs and other is headed to lsu most likely. MSU was beyond horrible when he got their.

Unlike you, I'm putting my trust in Bobby P. Don't understand Allen, but I trust Bobby P.

hog_fan

Quote from: PIGLETT on December 31, 2007, 11:24:16 am
Its all rumors until the fat lady sings!!!!!!

True. Most likely someone from MSU side leaked it.

PIGLETT

Thats why its all rumors until Coach Petro says it's true!

Idahog

I imagine with a good offense that his defenses could be really tough.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

WilsonHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 31, 2007, 11:00:39 am
Posted on a different board, but I'd like some valuable feedback from the great posters here as well.

Could you provide me some insight to what to look forward to?

Aggressive blitzer?
Passive read and react?
Man to man?
Zone?

Speed over size for LBs & safeties?
Size over speed for DEs & DTs?

Anything you know would be appreciated.

BTW,
WHY do you like this hire?

I know the name Ellis Johnson, but I don't know too much about his schemes and defensive philosophy.

What I do know is that he has coordinated defenses for Gene Stallings and Sylvester Croom, and I consider them both to be outstanding football coaches. Alabama under Stallings particularly had a reputation for a rock-solid defense. If Ellis Johnson can coordinate defenses for them, he can certainly coordinate them at UA. Their endorsement is good enough for me.   

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:25:25 am
Name who you wanted then. I'm sure he tried for Foster, strong, and georgia tech guy but two have god jobs and other is headed to lsu most likely. MSU was beyond horrible when he got their.

Unlike you, I'm putting my trust in Bobby P. Don't understand Allen, but I trust Bobby P.

Look I pretty much knew that the big names was not going to make a lateral move, but hiring someone that's about the same as herring's output is... well... I just don't like it.

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:23:12 am

Stop your crying. It isn't even offical

hogfansince79

can anyone find any stats from the bama years?

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:30:15 am
Look I pretty much knew that the big names was not going to make a lateral move, but hiring someone that's about the same as herring's output is... well... I just don't like it.

Who in the hell did you want? Since you knew no big names would come who is better then this guy? Give me some names. You aren't very smart. You look at stats and nothing else nevermind the fact one team was beyond horrible and other wasn't. 100 yards improvement is huge in my opinion. go ahead and point out those 70 point games out.

Lonnie Earl

Considering the "Offensive Juggernaut" that is MSU football....

The D's rankings may not tell the whole story. Just consider that into it too...

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:30:22 am
Stop your crying. It isn't even offical

there's no one crying here...  all I hear is he didn't have much to work with...  and I guess herring did... you know with all of those top 5 ranked teams we had under the nutter.

Seconds

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Van Boarisson on December 31, 2007, 10:36:04 am
The first thing that jumps out at me with this guy is has frustrated our running game two years in a row. I can't think of another team that has done that.

I like the hire but i feel sorry for Reggie. He deserved to get through this bowl game.

Just thinking the same thing about how he slowed our ground attack.  Good hire.  Can he recruit?

CowHog

Hopefully his Alabama ties will get us a good recruiting base in that state

hogfansince79

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:33:06 am
Who in the hell did you want? Since you knew no big names would come who is better then this guy? Give me some names. You aren't very smart. You look at stats and nothing else nevermind the fact one team was beyond horrible and other wasn't. 100 yards improvement is huge in my opinion. go ahead and point out those 70 point games out.

what a smart a$$...  if you don't want to have a good conversation about it.. then ... well... nevermind

hog_fan

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:36:42 am
what a smart a$$...  if you don't want to have a good conversation about it.. then ... well... nevermind

I wouldn't be if you would answer my damn question

hog_fan

Quote from: Seconds on December 31, 2007, 11:34:44 am
CH is also reporting this guy will be on staff as well: http://www.ulmathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90587&SPID=10968&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=1176948&Q_SEASON=2007

Would be interesting if we got him to see which position he would coach. He has coached both offense and defense.

Hogs12

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 11:20:36 am
No room for him if those other 4 coach defense. 5 on offense and 4 on defense.
Talking about Wolthausen or McMahon? Who would coach Special team then? Here are the positions and who I think will take them:

HC: Bobby Petrino
OC/WR:Paul Petrino
RB: Tim Horton or Derrick Nix
TE: The person who is not the RB Coach.
OL: Mike Summers.
DL: Kevin Wolthausen
LB: Bobby Allen or Ellis Johnson( if the rumors are true)
DB/RC: Joe Whitt Jr( I think Tim Horton should be the RC for his hard work but would not have any problems with Coach Whitt being the RC).
Safety: the person not LB coach.

I know I missed the QB coach. I would put Tom McMahon on the staff someway. He has just known the Petrinos too long and has been too good of a coach to be left out. Maybe just have Ellis Johnson be the DC. Bobby Allen Safety coach. Tom McMahon as LB/ Special Teams coach. I trust Coach Petrino's opinion on his staff and guys he recruits.

hogfansince79

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:30:15 am

I did answer your "damn" question...

Tomhog™

BP is alraedy retaining 2 coaches. I was surprised with that many. I think it's a good move to hire a DC from an SEC school that has made improvements over the past couple of years.

hog_fan

Quote from: Hogs12 on December 31, 2007, 11:41:25 am
Talking about Wolthausen or McMahon? Who would coach Special team then? Here are the positions and who I think will take them:

HC: Bobby Petrino
OC/WR:Paul Petrino
RB: Tim Horton or Derrick Nix
TE: The person who is not the RB Coach.
OL: Mike Summers.
DL: Kevin Wolthausen
LB: Bobby Allen or Ellis Johnson( if the rumors are true)
DB/RC: Joe Whitt Jr( I think Tim Horton should be the RC for his hard work but would not have any problems with Coach Whitt being the RC).
Safety: the person not LB coach.

I know I missed the QB coach. I would put Tom McMahon on the staff someway. He has just known the Petrinos too long and has been too good of a coach to be left out. Maybe just have Ellis Johnson be the DC. Bobby Allen Safety coach. Tom McMahon as LB/ Special Teams coach. I trust Coach Petrino's opinion on his staff and guys he recruits.

If Whitt handled safeties and CB's it could work. The way you did it no room for him as a team can only have 9 assistants.

hog_fan

Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on December 31, 2007, 11:43:17 am
You are the one avoiding his questions and you are going off his stats at MSU. Everyone knows that they are one of the best teams in the west. LOL. I dont think that he has had much to work with there and still he has improved their defense. We do have a better defense and can recruit a better defense than they can. Give the guy a chance and it isn't even official yet. One thing that I would like to know is who would you like to see hired for the DC position??

He won't say who he wanted. That is what pisses me off.

PIGLETT

Testy, Testy, Testy, CALM DOWN, Its not offical yet and we already have a slug fest going on. Its going to be a good hire ( IF TRUE) because of the staff Coach Petrino has put together!

hogfansince79

Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on December 31, 2007, 11:43:17 am
You are the one avoiding his questions and you are going off his stats at MSU. Everyone knows that they are one of the best teams in the west. LOL. I dont think that he has had much to work with there and still he has improved their defense. We do have a better defense and can recruit a better defense than they can. Give the guy a chance and it isn't even official yet. One thing that I would like to know is who would you like to see hired for the DC position??

You guys are missing my point... if you want a name... i don't know ... how about the louisville staff when bp was there or english or... i don't know... the point is why is everyone so happy to get someone that is (IMO) equal to herring?

Rod6275

I herd that Ellis Johnson  will be  new  Dc....Ok  great  but  how  about waiting till the bowl game  is  done?  Do we continue to have the disrespect from the Hill?  This  is  not fair to Reggie, nor  do I think  we gave  him a  fair shot....this  is  my thoughts...and  for  the record  I like the  guy and thought he did good  with what he had  to  work  with... All the best Reggie (sorry we didn't treat ya any better)
Choose This Day Who you will Serve...As For Me...It  Is The Hogs !

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:47:55 am
You guys are missing my point... if you want a name... i don't know ... how about the louisville staff when bp was there or english or... i don't know... the point is why is everyone so happy to get someone that is (IMO) equal to herring?

Three reasons:

(1) Coaching pedigree;

(2) He's new;

(3) Petrino wants him.

bhuie

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:47:55 am

I think that's the point... most of us DON'T think that Johnson is equal to Herring.

hog_fan

79 I'm done with you. You are on ignore as I refuse to respond to you anymore.

hogfansince79

Pork Twain

He did the same as Herring with Miss St talent.  Does that really make them equal?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GixerTaz

Reportedly he put his house up sell late last week {herring}

hogfansince79

Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on December 31, 2007, 11:51:35 am
What makes him equal to Herring? His numbers at MSU? You can't take those numbers into effect going against Herring. He has done more with less. If you are trying to say that he has the same quality of players at MSU then you are crazy.

oh come on... that's not what i'm saying, and you know it.

WilsonHog

December 31, 2007, 11:55:54 am #95 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:59:21 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:52:17 am
whatever

Here is the point I believe you are missing.

Many fans are tired of being negative. Period.

It isn't much of a stretch to say that if Bobby Petrino came out Wednesday and announced that he was hiring the 7th grade coach from Glen Rose Junior High as our defensive coordinator many fans, including me, would say, "Whooo hooo! That's a helluva hire, baby!"   

To get away from the exagerration, I'll simply say this: I don't much care who Bobby Petrino hires. After what we've been through if they're good enough for him, I'm damn sure not going to complain.

notreseveredname

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 31, 2007, 11:51:10 am
Wow, I didn't know Kirk was coaching.

Who is "CH?"
Yeah, who is CH?
Kirk was an excellent TE from what I remember.

I don't imagine we will hear anything offical until after the bowl game.  You can't really hire someone when there isn't room yet.

fortcityhog

1) already posted.
2) It's likely that Reggie has already shopped around and off the record committed to another program after Nutt resigned (Tex A&M?)
3) nobody from the hill has made this "OFFICIAL" yet. therefore its rumors and no disrespect to anyone.
4) if BP is suppose to annouce staff officially in a few days, is it wrong for him to be working NOW on putting that together?! c'mon ROD!!! wow.

FootballFanatic

I know next year Johnson had plans on switching the MSU defense to a 3-4.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Rod6275 on December 31, 2007, 11:48:06 am
I herd that Ellis Johnson  will be  new  Dc....Ok  great  but  how  about waiting till the bowl game  is  done?  Do we continue to have the disrespect from the Hill?  This  is  not fair to Reggie, nor  do I think  we gave  him a  fair shot....this  is  my thoughts...and  for  the record  I like the  guy and thought he did good  with what he had  to  work  with... All the best Reggie (sorry we didn?t treat ya any better)

Well considering the story didn't break in Arkansas and the source was the Sporting News, then since that is the case, then Petrino is waiting to make an announcement. But since Johnson appears to be the one, I am sure he wanted to tell his boss (Croom) as soon as possible so he could start his search. Petrino is not going to wait until after the bowl game to start his search. He has to have his staff in place way before then, so this type of stuff happens. There was no disrespect toward Herring.