Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ellis Johnson New DC at Arkansas Per Sporting News and ESPN

Started by Van Boarisson, December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

msudawgs64

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 04:34:14 pm
People msudawgs is mad about losing him. Thus, he hopes he fails because he is going to a rival school

bingo!!!

now you send me your mailing address and I will ship you a 6 pack.. LOL

I am not really mad though, he is a good defensive coordinator and I know the nature of coaching and moving around.  He had to do what was best for him and his family, just wished he would have left the SEC.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Theolesnort

December 31, 2007, 04:45:41 pm #201 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 06:33:37 pm by Theolesnort
 From the two or three games I watched Miss ST this year I will say their defense was better than ours. We were worlds better on offense than they were if you remember the old saying the best defense is a good offense. If you take into consideration the unreal # of three and outs States offense had and how that put tremendous pressure on the defense then you can then appreciate just how good their defense was. You can't focus on one part of the picture to make snap judgements but look at the whole.  I really think under the circumstances Miss St has one of the best defenses I saw all year and that includes the big boys. One thing I will say for sure is that as sorry as their offense was they should not have won more than a couple of games all year. Their defense won those games because it was superb. Another thing I noticed when I was watching was that they played sound fundamental defense without taking to many chances and leaving people isolated on a island to be toasted. I think Petrino found a gem.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Theolesnort on December 31, 2007, 04:45:41 pm
From the two or three games I watched Miss ST this year I will say their defense was better than ours. We were worlds better on offense than they were if you remember the old saying the best defense is a good offense. If you take into consideration the unreal # of three and outs States offense had and how that put tremendous pressure on the defense then you can then appreciate just how good their defense was. You can't focus on one part of the picture to make snap judgements but look at the whole.  I really think under the circumstances Miss St has one of the best defenses I saw all year and that includes the big boys. One thing I will say for sure is that as sorry as their offense was they should not have won more than a couple of games all year. There defense won those games because it was superb. Another thing I noticed when I was watching was that they played sound fundamental defense without taking to many chances and leaving people isolated on a island to be toasted. I think Petrino found a gem.

agreed 1000 percent...the State defense was our saving grace this year.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

texas tush hog

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 04:32:29 pm
geezus h Christ, do I have to explain this to you.

I am not equating them, it was a JOKE tied into the last Bulldog that Arkansas took off our hands, in this case it was Gary Ervin.  I am not comparing the two, I am just stating I hope that Johnson has the same amount of success that Ervin has enjoyed at Arkansas after leaving State.  Make sense now?

Send me your mailing address and I will ship you a sense of humor.  I doubt you will have the last laugh if you cannot tell sarcasm and a joke, you won't know when to laugh.  Geezus.

I'm sorry,just your typical crotchity old man and haven't had enough Bah Humbug for Christmas yet.

jimmur74

After tomorrow true Arkansas fans will wish Reggie and Louis were staying.  Fact is they do right now.

grayhawg

hoglady

Quote from: grayhawg on December 31, 2007, 05:10:40 pm
Louis yes, Reggie no.

I would love to see them both stay. BUT Petrino is the coach and he has a right to hire whoever he wants. The buck for winning and losing stops with him. I will support whatever hires and fires he makes. Petrino needs to make this team HIS team, that may be hard to do with Reggie on staff.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hog_fan

Quote from: jimmur74 on December 31, 2007, 05:09:18 pm
   After tomorrow true Arkansas fans will wish Reggie and Louis were staying.  Fact is they do right now.

I fail to understand why people love reggie. Most points given up in Arkansas history. AS far as campbell, he chose to leave so bye to him. He is going with a man that he got screwed by more then once.  Don't say true Arkansas fans. I want the best coaches and Reggie isn't the best.

You really need to get over Campbell and if not become an Ole Miss fan. He is gone. He could have waited and probably stayed but he couldn't wait for Petrino to decide. I'm surpised he wants to coach bad enough after 15 years of not coaching to go with nutt a man who screwed him over.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 10:43:01 am
Name another DC that shut down D-Mac not once but twice.  I'm guessing the DC is more of a closer for recruits and doesn't focus on  few players specfically.

Well, shut down as much as possible. Dmac still had a 50 td catch this year.

boat of bacon

you mention he didn't get real creative with his defenses. So I assume lots of zone and bend don't break. Not much blitzing? You guys looked real physical but how was your speed. Thanks

Hawgvillain

Quote from: jimmur74 on December 31, 2007, 05:09:18 pm

Please quit trying to distinguish "true fans" from other fans.  We are all huge AR fans and want what's best for the programs.  I absolutely hate this attitude...

TMooney

msudawgs64

December 31, 2007, 06:21:49 pm #212 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 06:28:19 pm by msudawgs64
Quote from: texas tush hog on December 31, 2007, 05:07:42 pm
I'm sorry,just your typical crotchity old man and haven't had enough Bah Humbug for Christmas yet.

no need to apologize, I actually should for being a jerk in my response back to you.  So by all means let me apologize for my post, there was no reason for me to be an ass about it.

98hogs

Quote from: bhuie on December 31, 2007, 11:50:19 am
I think that's the point... most of us DON'T think that Johnson is equal to Herring.
[/quote

Well most of us may not remember Herring's great defensive schemes against USC.  How many points were scored on a Herring lead defense?  Care to comment?

texas tush hog

I personally don't think Herring is worth a crap, I can't get USC 70 out of my mind and
then his guarantee the next, year GET A ROPE.

Theolesnort

Herring would be a heck of a defensive coordinator if he had the proper players for his scheme. He doesn't, yet he will not give up and play something we could be successful at. Stubborn ain't he?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

jimmur74

If Nutt had stayed, fired Herring and hired Johnson, would this board be as supportive of the hire?

HoopS

This is certainly a solid hire.  Think Alabama D from the Stallings years.

If I had my druthers, I'd hire that 7th Grade coach out of Glen Rose, but this one will suffice.  :D

NMMIHog

Coming out of the Citadel as a player and coach he should definitely know the definition of DISCIPLINE.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HillbillyRazorback on December 31, 2007, 11:57:44 am
I don't think that makes him equal since Herring has had the better talent. If you just look at the numbers then yes they are but if you go by the talent then in no way shape or form are they equal.
My point exactly, in case you missed the sarcasm...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

msudawgs64

Quote from: donewithdale on December 31, 2007, 03:18:47 pm
Even though Croom said he did everything he could I have to believe MSU's AD said they weren't or couldn't give a $150K raise.  Finally we will have an SEC staff instead on one or two SEC level assts.

not his issue, the Bulldog Club would have generated those funds for his raise. Since it is a state school, they are limited, by law, on the salary amount the state will dole out, this would have come from private funds, i.e. the Bulldog Club. The entire staff got raises but I don't know how much.

ScotchHog

Quote from: HoopS on December 31, 2007, 08:48:21 pm
If I had my druthers, I'd hire that 7th Grade coach out of Glen Rose, but this one will suffice.  :D
Bearden and West Memphis had impenetrable defenses this year.  I'd take a close look at one of them.
Always waiting

hog_fan

Petrino will be announcing his staff tomorrow. Sounds like we know majority. Hopefully Petrino has everyone secured. Sounds like we know 7 of 9 members and possibly 8 if ULM guy comes.

ToddW

i'm glad we have him.  Seems like a good up and comer.  Man MSU is going to be good!
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

ToddW

Quote from: Theolesnort on December 31, 2007, 06:37:57 pm
Herring would be a heck of a defensive coordinator if he had the proper players for his scheme. He doesn't, yet he will not give up and play something we could be successful at. Stubborn ain't he?

And I think this is why he didn't get the DC position at Arkansas.  Running Man 2 Man all the time won't really get you anywhere to the next level.  There have been too many times that I have seen him needing to switch to a zone package or another nickel/dime package and didn't do it till late in the game.  While I think he is a good motivator and a good coach I just don't think he fits Petrino's plan.  I wish Reggie the best and am anxious to see him at the HC helm during the bowl game.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Dr Swineglove

So whats the rundown now? 
There are four ? left from what I see.
Any ideas on who these will be?

Head Coach: Bobby Petrino

Offensive coordinator: Paul Petrino
QB's coach: Garrick McGee
RB's coach: Timothy Horton
TE's coach: ?
O-line: ?

Defensive coordinator/linebackers: Ellis Johnson
D-line: ?
D-backs: Bobby Allen
Safeties/Special teams: ?
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

hog_fan

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on January 01, 2008, 09:46:01 am
So whats the rundown now? 
There are four ? left from what I see.
Any ideas on who these will be?

Head Coach: Bobby Petrino

Offensive coordinator: Paul Petrino
QB's coach: Garrick McGee
RB's coach: Timothy Horton
TE's coach: ?
O-line: ?

Defensive coordinator/linebackers: Ellis Johnson
D-line: ?
D-backs: Bobby Allen
Safeties/Special teams: ?

Atlanta OL coach and Derrick Nix are likely coming. Nix will likely handle TE's. Also guy from ULM might come. He coaches LB's/Special teams so if he comes Johnson likely coaches elsewhere. Also, Paul will likely handle WR's.

reddcell

This is a good hire - according to NCAA total Defense Statistics Arkansas was ranked 44th MSU was ranked 25th.

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/default.asp?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-team-totaldef.htm

That's and Ricky Bobby Petrino likes him - I'm on board!

HogBawls

Quote from: Van Boarisson on December 31, 2007, 10:30:21 am
It appears we just hired Ellis Johnson from Miss. St.

+1. Outstanding career so far in the SEC.

hogs 456

Hey hog_fan, I think Botkin will an off the field coach, I think the Charlie comes with coach Johnson and I think we hire a DL coach,

We only get Summers and Nix from Atl, but I think we will be fine.

Hey what if we could get coach Jim Washburn back to coach the DL and Recruit?

FSHog67

bhue--I don't think he is better than Herring -- he's better.  LOL