oh sorry i didnt know this was already posted
GO HOGS!

SpiritHog

Non Illegitimus Carborundum

hog_fan

Quote from: hawgtime on December 31, 2007, 02:17:21 pm

don't know...

what is there to like?

He has impoved Miss State defense. He will have more to work with it at Arkansas.

ntubjr

I called a good friend in Alabama who is a big Tide supporter He said we will love EJ He said he is very smart and a better DC than the one the Tide has

Seconds

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 31, 2007, 02:19:32 pm
Does anyone actually read the board before posting?  The thread isn't even 3 topics down and we are getting new threads on it.  Please read, guys.

lot of fun cleaning it all up, huh? ;)
Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 20, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
I believe that Obama could set an orphanage on fire and spray down the children with gasoline as they ran to escape it and you and Veritas would praise him for the beauty and quality of the fire.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: irishman on December 31, 2007, 01:01:57 pm
I don't watch enough Miss. St. football to have a valid opinion on this one but I do know they have had one of the better turnarounds over the last couple of seasons, It sounds like this fellow is one of the reasons for it. If not a "great" hire, at least a solid one
First game of the year they gave lsu hell until they were slapdab wore out with all the turnovers by the offense.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Tommy2Hog

solid hire. he know's the sec west well. he also know's how to be be competitive without having 5 star athletes. should be a good fit

The part about being competetive without having 5 star athletes reminds me of someone. Oh maybe someone that used to coach here!

The_Champ

December 31, 2007, 02:25:42 pm #162 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:28:10 pm by The_Champ

Birthdate: December 23, 1951
Hometown: Winnsboro, S.C.
College: The Citadel, 1975

2004-Present Defensive Coordinator & Safety Coach Mississippi State
2001-2003 Head Coach The Citadel
1997-2000 Defensive Coordinator & Linebacker Coach Alabama
1994-1996 Defensive Coordinator & Outside Linebacker Coach Clemson
1990-1993 Outside Linebacker Coach Alabama
1985-1987 Outside Linebacker Coach East Carolina
1984 Defensive Coordinator Appalachian St.
1983 Head Coach Gardner-Webb

"oƃ sƃoɥ oƃ ¡ǝıooos ƃıd oooʍ

"If I could rest anywhere, it would be in Arkansas, where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grows nowhere else on the face of the universal earth."

It's not about the Xs and Os; it's about the Jimmys and the Joes.

Hawgon

This guy coached linebackers on the 1992 Alabama team.  That was the best defensive team in the history of NCAA football and his linebackers were darned good.

That fact alone is enough to seriously upgrade his resume and establish his pedigree in my book.

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: hog_fan on December 31, 2007, 01:06:01 pm
Anyone know anything about the kirk guy from ulm being hired. Someone mentioned it earlier. He currently coaches LB's/Special teams but has coached TE's in the past.

http://www.ulmathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90587&SPID=10968&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=1176948&Q_SEASON=2007

He was the best player on some really bad Arkansas teams
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

msudawgs64

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071231/SPORTS030102/71231018&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

F#$K, F#$K, F#$K

GD Croom tried all he could to get him to stay, shite how about firing that worthless Woody McCorvey and up his salary even more.  Welcome back to the cellar Croom, Johnson was your only saving grace this year.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

songofthesword

1. I trust bobby p over any one here.. if he likes im i like him. I lked him anyway to be honest.
2. gives us someting we really haven't had..ties, real ones, to alabama
3. we are trying to assemble the best staff we can. that doesn't always mean going with the higher known quanities. Bud foster and charlie strong were once at small schools.. I'm pretty sure that woroked out fine. Good coches can be anywhere.

again I trust bobby on this one. the man has been in the NFL. i'm pretty sure he can see a goog coach and notice him for it

hog_fan

He made 200,000 at MSU so he will be getting a nice raise. I'm guessing around 350,000.

Mikey

It's certainly not a bad hire, but only time will tell if he's significantly better than Reggie.  I respect Reggie, but I'm ready for him to go after the way our defense played this year.  He'll be fine -- probably at A&M.

hog_fan

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 03:02:00 pm
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071231/SPORTS030102/71231018&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

F#$K, F#$K, F#$K

GD Croom tried all he could to get him to stay, crape how about firing that worthless Woody McCorvey and up his salary even more.  Welcome back to the cellar Croom, Johnson was your only saving grace this year.

I take it you think this is very solid hire for the hogs?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Lonnie Earl on December 31, 2007, 10:36:03 am
I'd like to know which prospects he was responsible for recruiting this year... ;D

I could care less if he recruits a single player this year, hell did you see their defense, let
the other coaches recruit. Hell you can only have seven coaches recruiting at any given
period of time. If he performs as well for us as he did for the cowpatties with Petrino's
offense we will be playing on December 6 and maybe in a BCS bowl in January. Plus
he was making less than 200K last year so probably got a raise and still less than we
were paying Herring and after next year we can outbid any one who will try to steal him.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: bhuie on December 31, 2007, 11:10:55 am
Looks like a great addition to the staff!

COACHING CAREER

- 1975: Defensive Ends Coach, The Citadel
- 1976-78: Gaffney [SC] HS
- 1979-81: Spartanburg [SC] HS
- 1982: Linebackers Coach, The Citadel
- 1983: Head Coach, Gardner Webb College
- 1984: Defensive Coordinator, Appalachian State University
- 1985-87: Outside Linebackers Coach/Rec. Coordinator, East Carolina University
- 1988-89: Defensive Coordinator, University of Southern Mississippi
- 1990-93: Outside Linebackers Coach, University of Alabama *
- 1994-96: Outside Linebackers Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Clemson University
- 1997-00: Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach, University of Alabama @
- 2001-03: Head Coach, The Citadel
- 2004-05: Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Coach, Mississippi State University
- 2006-07: Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach, Mississippi State University

* Alabama won the 1992 SEC and national titles & the Tide defense was ranked No. 1
@ Alabama won the 1999 SEC championship

ESPN just broke in and extolled high school seniors everywhere to avoid Arkansas at all costs because he won't be there for any length of time as he is a "job hopper." ;D

The real Hogules

While I'll admit to wanting a "Bud Foster" type hire, Ellis Johnson has earned a reputation as a very good DC and is well respected in the coaching ranks.

Heck, USC-e tried to hire him, prior to the Cocks landing BVG. Ellis Johnson was their second choice, right behind Bud Foster who turned them down and ahead of BVG who accepted the job.

Looks like another extremely solid hire and welcome to the Razorbacks family, Ellis Johnson!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

msudawgs64

Quote from: Since 1894 on December 31, 2007, 12:58:50 pm
Is Johnson a good recruiter?

I will let you decide..

http://mississippistate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=48&year=2008#page2

I say he sucks at it.  Note the Recruited by column, one in his name this year, one last year.  Just my view on it.  Hell I did not even know he was not out recruiting.  But who cares if he can recruit, that is what delegating authority is for, he is a DC, he may have his minions go do that, as long as he can coach what they bring back to him is the deal.

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 03:19:30 pm
I will let you decide..

http://mississippistate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?sport=1&school=48&year=2008#page2

I say he sucks at it.  Note the Recruited by column, one in his name this year, one last year.  Just my view on it.  Hell I did not even know he was not out recruiting.  But who cares if he can recruit, that is what delegating authority is for, he is a DC, he may have his minions go do that, as long as he can coach what they bring back to him is the deal.

His name being on the list is the important part.  It is normal for the position coaches to be listed as the primary recruiter, but the DC and HC should have the ability to go into the player's home and seal the deal!

hog_fan

Petrino plans to have a real Spring game if at all possible. He said that is what he likes to do.

The real Hogules

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 03:19:30 pm
I will let you decide..

Here's something you probably didn't know, "usually" even though the DC will have a big hand in landing defensive recruits, the DC will let the assistant/position coach take the credit for the recruit, as it helps the position coach build a better coaching resume.

"Most" OC's/DC's have arrived (at their chosen destination as either a OC/DC) and can move job to job based on how their respective offenses and defenses have played as a whole. Credit for recruiting is just something for assistant coaches to hang their hats on, so to speak.

Bottom line is we'll take this lousy recruiting DC off your hands Bulldog and we are happy to do it!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Mikey

Quote from: donewithdale on December 31, 2007, 03:22:37 pm
What we will never know about Reggie's defenses are how much better would they have been in early games if they could have actually practiced against a decent passing offense with good qb's and wr's instead of green jerseyed RB's running power plays.  I have to believe that it took a few games to get adjusted and to see what he needed to do to adjust the pass defense each season.  Nuttball offered no in practice comp in Spring or August. 

Point taken, but his unwillingness to adjust from his "press" coverage when we were getting burned over and over at times really frustrated me.

realpig

Quote from: hawgfan923 on December 31, 2007, 03:23:06 pm
His name being on the list is the important part.  It is normal for the position coaches to be listed as the primary recruiter, but the DC and HC should have the ability to go into the player's home and seal the deal!

True...and good point.
Successful people do what unsuccessful people dislike doing.  It's not that they like doing them, but their strength of purpose is greater than their dislike of doing them.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Mikey on December 31, 2007, 03:27:30 pm
Point taken, but his unwillingness to adjust from his "press" coverage when we were getting burned over and over at times really frustrated me.

The bottom line is he lied to us before the 2006 Southern Cal game. He promised that if the
defense had another meltdown he would resign and then he would go out and hang himself.
I like to see people keep their word the Jerry Jones does. GET A ROPE.

LuckyGiraffe

I wish a mod would create/sticky a "New Staff" thread.  This would allow one place see the staff shaping up!

hint... hint...

wholehog92

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 11:12:32 am
Why is this such a good hire?

Miss St.'s numbers before Johnson

yr    pts/g   yds/g
03    39.3   473.5

since Johnson (Reggie is on the right)...

yr    pts/g   yds/g
04    25.5   364.8
05    23.5   335.5      -       24.6   341.9
06    25.8   321.3      -       18.4   307.2
07    24.8   341.2      -       25.6   357.8

doesn't look like a whole lot of damn difference to me

Miss St's talent level isn't close to ours.  Give Johnson our talent (or better) and watch out.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

texas tush hog

Quote from: donewithdale on December 31, 2007, 03:38:59 pm
I seem to remember a D that held SC to 14 pts first half despite the offense giving up a few turnovers. Our offense was pathetic that night.  I agree with criticizing Reggie for the 05 game.  Nutt not starting Mustain and DMac's late night/early morning decisions had a lot to do with the 06 game.

By your calculations he blew up at crunch time when it really counted giving up 36 second half points.
All you Reggie fans can root for Texas A&M and you Nutt Huggers go to Oxford as for me and my house
we will follow Petrino, Ellis Johnson and the Razorbacks. MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

msudawgs64

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 31, 2007, 03:26:36 pm
Bottom line is we'll take this lousy recruiting DC off your hands Bulldog and we are happy to do it!

well hopefully he will turn out like the last Bulldog y'all took off our hands.  LOL

BERLY_HOGMAN

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 31, 2007, 03:26:36 pm
Here's something you probably didn't know, "usually" even though the DC will have a big hand in landing defensive recruits, the DC will let the assistant/position coach take the credit for the recruit, as it helps the position coach build a better coaching resume.

"Most" OC's/DC's have arrived (at their chosen destination as either a OC/DC) and can move job to job based on how their respective offenses and defenses have played as a whole. Credit for recruiting is just something for assistant coaches to hang their hats on, so to speak.

Nice Post... I totally agree.  I believe it is widely known as well that the DC assistants do a lot or a majority of the legwork on recruiting, however, it is good to have a DC or a HC that can be counted on to get the player signed.

texas tush hog

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 03:54:40 pm
well hopefully he will turn out like the last Bulldog y'all took off our hands.  LOL

Well I just decided to up my donation and order more season tickets due to nothing more
than this hire. All you guys who are dissatisfied please cancel your tickets because my kids
all are wanting to get more tickets now that we have gotten serious about football for a
change. Petrino for Nutt-----Johnson for Herring if you have to ask you would not 
understand anyway.

msudawgs64

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 31, 2007, 04:02:44 pm
Well I just decided to up my donation and order more season tickets due to nothing more
than this hire. All you guys who are dissatisfied please cancel your tickets because my kids
all are wanting to get more tickets now that we have gotten serious about football for a
change. Petrino for Nutt-----Johnson for Herring if you have to ask you would not 
understand anyway.

good for you, not sure why you would quote me though with this, I want to see Johnson turn into another Gary Ervin, thus the MS logo and name and my last post.

hogfansince79

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on December 31, 2007, 03:46:43 pm
Miss St's talent level isn't close to ours.  Give Johnson our talent (or better) and watch out.

I have to admit... I did jump the gun on that one,  I only looked at his stats at Miss. St.

The info that convinced me was this paragraph from his bio...

"Prior to his head coaching responsibilities at The Citadel, Johnson was defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Alabama from 1997-2000. During that four-year stay in Tuscaloosa, the Crimson Tide finished the 1999 season 10-3, won the Southeastern Conference championship over Florida 34-7 in the league title game, and earned a berth in the 2000 Orange Bowl. That team had the nation's second-best rushing defense, a unit that ranked ninth nationally in total defense."

WPS   :razorback:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

want2be

Looks like a good hire that will fit with Petrino. He definitely knows how to slow down the run and knows SEC speed.

I bet he is a better closure on recruiting than Reggie was. Reggie couldn't even get his own son. If he can evaluate talent and let the assistant's beat the bushes we will be ahead of where we have been.

JLaws

Recruits
Quote from: bhuie on December 31, 2007, 11:10:55 am
Looks like a great addition to the staff!

COACHING CAREER

- 1975: Defensive Ends Coach, The Citadel
- 1976-78: Gaffney [SC] HS
- 1979-81: Spartanburg [SC] HS
- 1982: Linebackers Coach, The Citadel
- 1983: Head Coach, Gardner Webb College
- 1984: Defensive Coordinator, Appalachian State University
- 1985-87: Outside Linebackers Coach/Rec. Coordinator, East Carolina University
- 1988-89: Defensive Coordinator, University of Southern Mississippi
- 1990-93: Outside Linebackers Coach, University of Alabama *
- 1994-96: Outside Linebackers Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Clemson University
- 1997-00: Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers Coach, University of Alabama @
- 2001-03: Head Coach, The Citadel
- 2004-05: Defensive Coordinator/Safeties Coach, Mississippi State University
- 2006-07: Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers Coach, Mississippi State University

* Alabama won the 1992 SEC and national titles & the Tide defense was ranked No. 1
@ Alabama won the 1999 SEC championship

Uh oh, look how he moves around all the time. He must be a "mercenary." No loyalty there... fits perfect with Petrino the two-faced liar who abused poor ol' billionaire Artie. Not a man of his word, let's call the whole thing off because Mel Kiper's hair said so.  :P
"Fan is short for FANATIC! You people ARE INSANE!" - Colin Cowherd

"When you have the opportunity to be with the sexiest girl or the smartest football coach, you take it and worry about what happens if they leave when they leave." -writer's quote when UA hired Petrino

Lonnie Earl

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 31, 2007, 04:09:05 pm
I have to admit... I did jump the gun on that one,  I only looked at his stats at Miss. St.

The info that convinced me was this paragraph from his bio...

"Prior to his head coaching responsibilities at The Citadel, Johnson was defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach at Alabama from 1997-2000. During that four-year stay in Tuscaloosa, the Crimson Tide finished the 1999 season 10-3, won the Southeastern Conference championship over Florida 34-7 in the league title game, and earned a berth in the 2000 Orange Bowl. That team had the nation's second-best rushing defense, a unit that ranked ninth nationally in total defense."

WPS   :razorback:

The stats alone are compairable. You just failed to factor in the talent level (as mentioned). Another thing that I don't think anyone has mentioned is Strength of Schedule....

online-with-swine

Maybe we can pilfer Mississippi State and Ole Miss recruits with this hire.  He seems to have a good name in the state of Miss, Bama and SC.

Lonnie Earl

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 04:07:21 pm
good for you, not sure why you would quote me though with this, I want to see Johnson turn into another Gary Ervin, thus the MS logo and name and my last post.
I was just wondering if you could fill us in on his coaching style? Does he run a 4-3 or 3-4? etc... Thanx 64

wholehog92

I like the hire.  I don't think it was a big upgrade over Reggie on the field.  However, I think Reggie and his mouth p!ssed off some HS coaches around AR.  It was bound to cause problems eventually.  BP is all about the recruiting.  Reggie will do fine wherever he goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a HC gig if Cotton Bowl goes well.  There's a reason he didn't announce for TAM and they have not hired a DC yet.  Reggie is keeping his options open.  I don't think this is a huge upgrade but a solid hire for us.  I trust BP implicitly for 4 years anyways, the 5th year better look good if the first four haven't mister!
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

texas tush hog

Quote from: msudawgs64 on December 31, 2007, 04:07:21 pm

I don't see how you can equate Johnson with Ervin. Ellis has been successful every wher he has ever been,
I know a lot of succesful people in the coaching business from back during my days. Mostly though I can
watch and judge if a man is doing the job from my own knowledge and experience and not from what any
one says about them. I saw what Ellis Johnson did to stop two of the best running backs I have ever laid
eyes on. That would be Darren McFadden in 2006 and 2007 and Kevin Smith in the 2007 Liberty Bowl. Go
ahead and fire your shots. This time next year I will not have the last laugh because I will be too busy
with BCS bowl festivities for the Arkansas Razorbacks.

TrumannRazorback24

Quote from: donewithdale on December 31, 2007, 03:38:59 pm
I seem to remember a D that held SC to 14 pts first half despite the offense giving up a few turnovers. Our offense was pathetic that night.  I agree with criticizing Reggie for the 05 game.  Nutt not starting Mustain and DMac's late night/early morning decisions had a lot to do with the 06 game.
Sorry but if Mustain would have started that game would not have turned out any different.

D-Mac's decisions did have a lot to do with that game, but I think the fact that TCTWF wouldn't let anyone even touch Felix hurt.  Felix wasn't adjusted to contact, and when he got in a game situation, he fumbled which hurt us.

msudawgs64

geezus h Christ, do I have to explain this to you.

I am not equating them, it was a JOKE tied into the last Bulldog that Arkansas took off our hands, in this case it was Gary Ervin.  I am not comparing the two, I am just stating I hope that Johnson has the same amount of success that Ervin has enjoyed at Arkansas after leaving State.  Make sense now?

Send me your mailing address and I will ship you a sense of humor.  I doubt you will have the last laugh if you cannot tell sarcasm and a joke, you won't know when to laugh.  Geezus.

hog_fan

People msudawgs is mad about losing him. Thus, he hopes he fails because he is going to a rival school

msudawgs64

Quote from: Lonnie Earl on December 31, 2007, 04:18:50 pm
I was just wondering if you could fill us in on his coaching style? Does he run a 4-3 or 3-4? etc... Thanx 64

runs a 4-3.  I think he is a very good defensive coordinator, really hate to see him go.  Not a lot of tricks in his bag, just straight up, hard nosed, smash mouth defense.  Hated that his defensive unit has had to bear the brunt of the work the past few years but then again that is one area we have always been pretty decent at, defense.