Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Athletes and DWI punishment

Started by Hoggimistic, March 18, 2005, 11:55:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggimistic

Drunk driving and the punishment it calls for is a whole debate upon itself. 

But, considering that the judicial system will decide the punishment based on the law.

Does anyone else think it is the coaches decision and not ours to question whether or not, after being punished by the law he is allowed to play a sport, which had nothing to do with his decision to drive drunk or not.

bknight33

Agreed.  What if we had collegiate auto racing?  Then what would you guys think?

abq

Quote from: bknight33 on March 18, 2005, 12:21:21 pm
Agreed. What if we had collegiate auto racing? Then what would you guys think?

I think the NCAA would really screw up the whole restrictor plate thing.

bknight33

Quote from: abq on March 18, 2005, 12:37:02 pm
Quote from: bknight33 on March 18, 2005, 12:21:21 pm
Agreed. What if we had collegiate auto racing? Then what would you guys think?

I think the NCAA would really screw up the whole restrictor plate thing.

That is pretty good.  There would be a whole section on sponsorships etc.....How many guys on the pit crew could be on scholarship.........

bknight33

Imhogginit, who is the girl in your avatar?  I always wondered what she looked like?

Rick James

Quote from: Hoggimistic on March 18, 2005, 11:55:20 am

But, considering that the judicial system will decide the punishment based on the law.

Does anyone else think it is the coaches decision and not ours to question whether or not, after being punished by the law he is allowed to play a sport, which had nothing to do with his decision to drive drunk or not.

Have you ever drank and drove Hoggimistic?

So, if a player rapes a girl, we let the law decide what happens to him, right?  And then, if the coach decides to, we let him back on the field to start in front of 70,000 optimistic Hog fans.  We can't question that?

Rick James

March 18, 2005, 02:05:16 pm #6 Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 02:42:34 pm by Rick James
Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 18, 2005, 01:59:46 pm
Quote from: Rick James on March 18, 2005, 01:57:06 pm
Quote from: Hoggimistic on March 18, 2005, 11:55:20 am

Have you ever drank and drove Hoggimistic?

So, if a player rapes a girl, we let the law decide what happens to him, right?  And then, if the coach decides to, we let him back on the field to start in front of 70,000 optimistic Hog fans.  We can't question that?

Guy rapes a girl he most likely will go to prison and be expelled from school.

But, we can't question a coach's decision if that coach decided to help back him to stay in school with no judicial penalties.  Then, we can't question the coach when he puts the player back on the field to help us play against USC this upcoming year.  A coach's decisions are off-limits to fans.  We just plug money in a slot and shut up.  Right, hoggimistic?

S.P.A.M. Hog

UH....what's a restrictor plate? ???

I was told many moons ago when I stepped foot onto campus with a football scholie in hand........

You represent the University that you play for.....there are a lot of folks that would love to be in your shoes.....you have privileges that the regular students do not enjoy...for that....you also have duties that the regular students do not have to endure...show your character at all times and don't ever forget who pays the bills....because if you do.....We Will Remind You!
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

Boarcephus

Is it a matter of time before the NCAA regulates punishment as well and takes it out of the coaches hands?   They're involved in everything else, why not this?   Player gets a DWI, loss of scholarship and one year suspension.   Test positive for drugs, same.   Get caught shoplifting from Dillards, 6 game suspension.  Far fetched or near future?  Thoughts?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Oklahawg

I'm wondering if the avatar is Veronica Zemanova. I regret that I am fresh out of samples that are postable on hogville, so you'll have to do some snooping to compare.

The NCAA is not above diving into the fray on standardizing punishments. The new matriculation rules designed to encourage schools to keep players eligible and tracking towards graduation play havoc with trying to boot a kid. UA doesn't have room to wiggle under this new rule and therefore can't afford to be lopping off heads unless the offense is extreme or a repeat offense. I don't agree with that but I feel comfortable that somewhere there is a compliance director thinking the same thing.

It seems reasonable that the athlete should get similar punishment from the school as the student-at-large gets...in terms of staying in school, probation, etc. Once you sign a LOI I am comfortable with the coaches making your life a living hell if you step outside the boundaries.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Boner

If we don't question them, who will.  We're just supposed to trust them to make the best decison?  Riiiiight.