Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On ESPN U now, Should college athletes get paid?

Started by Amityvillehogger, March 16, 2005, 07:36:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Amityvillehogger

Just wondering what everyones take on this subject?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pioneerhog

I think they should at least get something. I mean after they go to classes, workouts, practice, and do their studying they don't have much time to work at a job and make money, and not all parents are rich enough to give their kids all kinda of money all through college.

WindyCityHog

NO.

Most don't make the NBA, NFL, or etc....

The cost of a college education is growing by the day....and many don't take advantage of it.  I wish I had a free ride when I went to college.....I just paid off my college loans about 3 years ago....

It's a PRIVILEGE. ...and i don't care how many jerseys they sell in the local Wal-Mart.

Hogstradamus

I don't think they should get paid. They're already getting a free education.

I'd be interested to hear HOG 50's opinion on this.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

Porquemada

I think the fans should receive a stipend. Athletes are already receiving a full ride education, if they choose to accept it. If they want spending money for partying and whatnot, quit sports and get a job. Next thing you know, the debate will be whether or not we should pay high school athletes. You know they do produce a little revenue, especially in Texas football.

pioneerhog

Does anyone know if ESPN U is available on DISH?

Golfer

Quote from: pioneerhog on March 16, 2005, 07:47:41 pm
Does anyone know if ESPN U is available on DISH?

I have Dish and ESPNU is not yet available. However, that show was shown on ESPN but had the ESPNU logo on it.  I think Dish is in negotiations for the new ESPNU.

JaketheSnake

I thought D-I athletes received money to live off of anyway-like 400$ per month or something like that?

Boarcephus

I think they should get something.   Base it on need or whatever and not every athlete would get something but some of these kids really need some help if for no other reason than just to have some walking around money to take a girl out for pizza.  Granted they get the free education but the ones who really profit from this are the schools. 

When I went to school up here I had money in my pocket or I had parents who would help me out if I needed it.  There are several kids up here without a dime, no time to work, and no one to turn to and these are the ones I feel sorry for.   I'm sure I'm stretching this, but it appears to me that most of the athetes in need are the bb and fb players.  Not alot of golfers and gymnasts doing without without.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

rricha

I wish i got paid when i was on the hill all we got was $8.00 for laundry.  Back then we were allowed to apply for a pell grant and if you qualified you got about $300.00 a semester.  Then they found us summer jobs usually construction and we worked our butts off or got fired.  I think now since there are no more athletic dorms kids get a rent stipend if they live off campus and when you think of this that is probably the reason the kids now are not supervised closely.  when you think of all the money these kids make for their schools they should get something.

HogInGermany

No, They get a full ride for playing sports we love and can get away with making crap grades that would put the average student on the street.

Extra Point

I listened to the end of the show.  I thought the arguments of most on the panel sounded like the athletes were ENTITLED to it.  Are you kidding me? 

It sounded like I missed a two hour one sided argument on how inner city kids are making the rich richer.  Unbelievable.  If you REALLY want to see the difference b/n a student and a student-athlete, let's look at a study of a comparison of paying summer jobs.  Do you think the average student gets a nice summer job from an alumni with top notch pay?  I don't think so.

There is NO way I could have made it through the full 2 hours without throwing my TV across the room.  These kids only put in 20 hours per week doing something they love and get a free education.  I say give them a choice.  Either we will pay you by the hour and pay your own way or we can keep things as they are.

I realize these kids are prohibited from working by the NCAA, but they can work during the summer if they don't have laundry money like so many other kids do.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Extra Point on March 17, 2005, 06:58:04 pm
These kids only put in 20 hours per week doing something they love and get a free education. I say give them a choice. Either we will pay you by the hour and pay your own way or we can keep things as they are.

I realize these kids are prohibited from working by the NCAA, but they can work during the summer if they don't have laundry money like so many other kids do.

I'd wager they put in alot more than 20 hours a week when you include actual practice time, time in the weight room, film study on their own, and time set aside studying the playbook.

Regarding highpaying jobs, I believe the NCAA has penalties that deal with programs that knowingly allow this to go on and the Herrod deal comes to mind.

I still say there ought to be something based on need.   I remember an article when Coliss and Scotty were quoted during their NCAA Championship run and this item came up.   They were looking at their jerseys for sale in one of the shops and neither one had the money in their pocket to buy one.   If push came to shove, Corliss could have gotten the money from mom and pop, I doubt if Scotty could have.   It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we have kids on this team who have to wear their athletic shoes and gear because they don't have the money to even buy clothes.   These are the kids I'm talking about.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Extra Point

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 17, 2005, 07:50:12 pm
Quote from: Extra Point on March 17, 2005, 06:58:04 pm
These kids only put in 20 hours per week doing something they love and get a free education. I say give them a choice. Either we will pay you by the hour and pay your own way or we can keep things as they are.

I'd wager they put in alot more than 20 hours a week when you include actual practice time, time in the weight room, film study on their own, and time set aside studying the playbook.

Regarding highpaying jobs, I believe the NCAA has penalties that deal with programs that knowingly allow this to go on and the Herrod deal comes to mind.

I still say there ought to be something based on need. I remember an article when Coliss and Scotty were quoted during their NCAA Championship run and this item came up. They were looking at their jerseys for sale in one of the shops and neither one had the money in their pocket to buy one. If push came to shove, Corliss could have gotten the money from mom and pop, I doubt if Scotty could have. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we have kids on this team who have to wear their athletic shoes and gear because they don't have the money to even buy clothes. These are the kids I'm talking about.
The NCAA mandates an athlete only put in 20 hours per week.  If they do more, then that is their choice but the school (the beneficiary of TRILLIONS according to the show) cannot ask them to do so.

I used the term "high paying" to infer that most college students earn minimum wage or not much better.  Not many D1 athletes are forced to work for minimum wage.

As far as players not being able to buy their own jerseys, those are ARKANSAS jerseys and the school, which owns the merchandising rights, should get all the money.  I agree that being in college with little or no money is tough.  However, the campus is full of other kids in that same position.  Even kids with new shoes, etc. have parents who are sacrificing by paying tuition which is something the player's parents are not burdened with.

My beef with the arguments being presented on ESPN was that it was insinuated these players were OWED something.  The players know exactly what the deal is when they sign up.  They are not forced to play and get a free education.  Heck, the cost of that free education at some schools is $100k per year.  How many kids now in college will NEVER make $100k per year?  I still say they are NOT exploited as some would have you believe.

The saddest thing about that panel was that I fell on the side of Myles Brand, the NCAA president, who will continue to bring college athletics down with his policies.

rricha

BigHog396

If anyone here thinks that the players don't get some form of payment, they are sadly mistaken.  I was going to school on "the hill" during the time of the National Championship run, and saw what the basketball players (and football players even though we sucked at the time) were driving....

Anyone care to tell me how Darnell Robinson could afford a loaded out, lowered, '94 Chevy extended cab Silverado with an absolutely amazing sound system....
How about Scotty Thurman, who "couldn't afford to buy" his own replica jersey, driving a '94 gold series Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer... followed by a Jeep Wrangler with basically the same gold series package....
OK, no answer for those, how about Lee Wilson.  He also drove a loaded out Eddie Bauer, much like the one that Scottie was driving.  He followed that up with a loaded '95 Mustang.
I guess these players had no problem coming up with the $300-$400/month that it would have taken just to make the payments on any of these vehicles, not to mention insurance, fuel, and other typical maintenance costs associated with owning a vehicle.

I would have loved to have been able to have afforded to have any of these vehicles, with the possible exception of the truck Darnell drove, so don't give me this crap about how the players don't have the money to go out for dinner or anything like that.  And yes, I agree, the free education that these guys are getting is more than enough payment.  I am, like many others, paying off my student loans now, and likely won't be finished for a few more years.  Whether or not the athletes take advantage of the opportunity to get a free education, they DO HAVE the opportunity for a free education, and that is payment enough.

Extra Point

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 17, 2005, 11:22:41 pm
If anyone here thinks that the players don't get some form of payment, they are sadly mistaken. I was going to school on "the hill" during the time of the National Championship run, and saw what the basketball players (and football players even though we sucked at the time) were driving....

Anyone care to tell me how Darnell Robinson could afford a loaded out, lowered, '94 Chevy extended cab Silverado with an absolutely amazing sound system....
How about Scotty Thurman, who "couldn't afford to buy" his own replica jersey, driving a '94 gold series Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer... followed by a Jeep Wrangler with basically the same gold series package....
OK, no answer for those, how about Lee Wilson. He also drove a loaded out Eddie Bauer, much like the one that Scottie was driving. He followed that up with a loaded '95 Mustang.
I guess these players had no problem coming up with the $300-$400/month that it would have taken just to make the payments on any of these vehicles, not to mention insurance, fuel, and other typical maintenance costs associated with owning a vehicle.

I would have loved to have been able to have afforded to have any of these vehicles, with the possible exception of the truck Darnell drove, so don't give me this crap about how the players don't have the money to go out for dinner or anything like that. And yes, I agree, the free education that these guys are getting is more than enough payment. I am, like many others, paying off my student loans now, and likely won't be finished for a few more years. Whether or not the athletes take advantage of the opportunity to get a free education, they DO HAVE the opportunity for a free education, and that is payment enough.
I bet the actual "loan requirements" were not as tough for them as it would have been for you or me.  I am glad they were able to drive those vehicles.

You would have been livid if you had watched the show the other night.  The panel was talking as if the players were practically homeless.

PerryHog

I believe the players are not owed any money. I do think they deserve a little.
All those hours in practice, travel time, etc. Nazi rules against working during the season.

My daughter has a full ride scholastic schollie. She works 20 hours a week for clothes, and gas, and all that crap girls need. The players aren't allowed this. My daughter earned that scholastic schollie. The players earned their schollies. And if the 20 or more hours of practice and travel time were added up at minimum wage, I'd bet most of the cost of  athletic schollies would be paid for.

At the least the players should get a little something during the season, those times when they are not allowed to work. The key point here is NOT ALLOWED.

Maybe the presidents and nazi's can come up with a way to pay that would be fair for the smaller schools. How about oh, half a percent of each schools athletic budget. Divide the total between all athletes, that's how much they get. I'm thinking 50 to 100 bucks a week.

Is there around 200 total athletic schollies on the hill? If so, paying each player $200 a month for 9 months equals $360,000 a year. That is a bit of change for arkansas, considering tennesee has 4 times the athletic budget of the hogs. A fair way to do it could be done. 

Make it a needs based thing or whatever. But these kids deserve the dignity of being able to have a date once a week.

These kids are working their tails off. Give 'em the fifty bucks.