Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instead of calling for Coach Heath's head, give a solution.

Started by bknight33, March 15, 2005, 12:10:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bknight33

It is quite evident that most would like to see Coach Heath removed from the basketball program.  With the RFoundation and the University tied up with the Coach Richardson payoff, how do we go about hiring, and then paying for, a third coach?  We would have to buy out another contract, leaving funds extremely depleted (Or at least one would hope so; Is there really that much money floating around on the hill? Nevermind).  So who does the University bring in?  Basically, all we can afford is another up and coming coach, precisely what none of you posters want.  What is the solution.  I say we just let the guy finish it out.  If he cant get it done, than he cant get it done.  I am going to tell you that I think the trip to Hawaii is going to make or break the Hogs.  They will be playing against great non conference competetion, and if they are successful, some newfound confidence might help to revitalize the program.  If that is an unsuccessful trip, look for the Hogs to start into an early downward spiral.

Call Mr. Sow

We've got over $300 million dollars in the Razorback foundation right now.  Money is not an excuse.

bknight33

If that is the case Mr. Sow, then you are absolutely right.  Is that money not earmarked for specific uses?  No wonder boosters have so much say so, $300 million dollars?  Well if that is the case, then why do we not name our head coaches?  If we have so much money to toss around for coaching salaries, why do we have to take chances with younger guys? 

Flatfoot

I would like to have Mike Anderson, but since that is not going to happen, I want big time with Pitino.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

sooie dog

Quote from: flatfoot304 on March 15, 2005, 12:18:50 pm
I would like to have Mike Anderson, but since that is not going to happen, I want big time with Pitino.

same here or Majeras

HogInMemphis

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 12:10:18 pm
It is quite evident that most would like to see Coach Heath removed from the basketball program.  With the RFoundation and the University tied up with the Coach Richardson payoff, how do we go about hiring, and then paying for, a third coach?  We would have to buy out another contract, leaving funds extremely depleted (Or at least one would hope so; Is there really that much money floating around on the hill? Nevermind).  So who does the University bring in?  Basically, all we can afford is another up and coming coach, precisely what none of you posters want.  What is the solution.  I say we just let the guy finish it out.  If he cant get it done, than he cant get it done.  I am going to tell you that I think the trip to Hawaii is going to make or break the Hogs.  They will be playing against great non conference competetion, and if they are successful, some newfound confidence might help to revitalize the program.  If that is an unsuccessful trip, look for the Hogs to start into an early downward spiral.

Solution? You want a freaking solution? Hire a coach who can git er dun!

bknight33

I would love to have Coach Majerus.  However, the odds of this program being able to pull one of the aforementioned coaches away from their current situations would have to be somewhere between slim and none.

sooie dog

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 12:24:04 pm
I would love to have Coach Majerus. However, the odds of this program being able to pull one of the aforementioned coaches away from their current situations would have to be somewhere between slim and none.

Since you think everthing is impossible tell us how Heath will get it done.  Hell, you and I could trade off coaching week to week voluntarily and get the same results as Heath. At least that would save some $.

Lando Calrissian

Didn't Majerus sign on with USC this past season, only to quit within days citing health concerns?

Hiring Majerus is just as probable as hiring Dean Smith.  Aint gonna happen.

If somehow, some way we were able to lure Pitino away from Louisville, I think it would go down as one of the most important & monumental moments in Razorback history.

I'd be content with someone like Billy Donovan too, but I don't think that is a likely scenario.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 12:12:14 pm
If that is the case Mr. Sow, then you are absolutely right.  Is that money not earmarked for specific uses? No wonder boosters have so much say so, $300 million dollars? Well if that is the case, then why do we not name our head coaches? If we have so much money to toss around for coaching salaries, why do we have to take chances with younger guys?

Well, I tried to find a link that would show where the total amount of the endowment was, but I couldn't.  I know it was revealed at the NR trial, and I'm sure some of the other people on here will be kind enough to either correct me or back me up on that. 

I do know that Broyles chooses younger guys because he thinks he can spot an up-and-comer and get them for their best years.  I don't think finances have been a serious part of the consideration for a long time now.  But again, i could be wrong.  I'm not, but I could be.

junkyardhog

If that is the case Mr. Sow, then you are absolutely right.  Is that money not earmarked for specific uses? No wonder boosters have so much say so, $300 million dollars? Well if that is the case, then why do we not name our head coaches? If we have so much money to toss around for coaching salaries, why do we have to take chances with younger guys?

Just because you have funds, does not mean you spend them!  I heard Rush Limbaugh say once that every millionaire he knows drives a used car. That's how they stay millionaires.  To get one of these 'golden boy' coaches would take BIG money, Nick Saban-Money!!  The CEO's of our colleges got there because they try to get the most with the least. It's just good business.

Jim Harris

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 12:10:18 pm
It is quite evident that most would like to see Coach Heath removed from the basketball program. With the RFoundation and the University tied up with the Coach Richardson payoff, how do we go about hiring, and then paying for, a third coach? We would have to buy out another contract, leaving funds extremely depleted (Or at least one would hope so; Is there really that much money floating around on the hill? Nevermind). So who does the University bring in? Basically, all we can afford is another up and coming coach, precisely what none of you posters want. What is the solution. I say we just let the guy finish it out. If he cant get it done, than he cant get it done. I am going to tell you that I think the trip to Hawaii is going to make or break the Hogs. They will be playing against great non conference competetion, and if they are successful, some newfound confidence might help to revitalize the program. If that is an unsuccessful trip, look for the Hogs to start into an early downward spiral.

maybe a start would be to stop sending $100,000 a year to pay for Frank's bill at Augusta.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

bknight33

Quote from: sooie dog on March 15, 2005, 12:28:55 pm
I would love to have Coach Majerus. However, the odds of this program being able to pull one of the aforementioned coaches away from their current situations would have to be somewhere between slim and none.

Since you think everthing is impossible tell us how Heath will get it done.  Hell, you and I could trade off coaching week to week voluntarily and get the same results as Heath. At least that would save some $.

Really sooie dog, what type of offense would you run?  Do you have any idea of how to teach man to man defense?  Where would your recruiting base be? Do you know how to teach the fundamentals of the game? 
I don't think that Coach Heath can get it done.  I think that everything hinges on he and his players relationships, or lack thereof;  nobody trusts their coach, their teammates, their asst coaches, etcc.......it is a sad, sad state of affairs. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: flatfoot304 on March 15, 2005, 12:18:50 pm

you're gonna get Billy Gillespie and like it!  (picture Frank Broyles yelling that at you)
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

3kgthog

Forget Majerus, Pitino and Mike Anderson. I'd take Mark Few from Gonzaga.  His teams are consistent and always seem to come up big against teams that are probably better than the Zags. 

Now I will stand back and watch the tomatoes fly. 

bknight33

Well junkyard, the product the athletic department is selling is deteriorating fast.  If they do not do something to enhance it, it could start becoming a liability instead of an asset.  Coaching in college sports sells tickets.  We cannot pay the players, therefore we pay a specific person to GM, coach, discipline etc.......and put people in the stands.  Putting people in the stands equals returns.  Returns and high moral equal big boosters, which in turn equals more money.  Coaches are the college programs.

ballinhog

One thing I know is if we were to hire Pitino Bud Walton arena would be packed for probly every game next year. If we keep Heath you will see alot of games with 8,000 or so fans again next year. I just dont get why we have first class facilities and middle of the pack coaches. I would rather have Pitino for coach and still be playing in barnhill. We have the 8th best basketball program of all time, do you really think we have a top 8 type coach? But none of this matters because Heath will be back and we will be going through the same thing next year.

idochog

You want results, You buy the mostly likely high profile coach that takes the bucks: RICK PITINO

Perferct timing, he is pissed b/c Louisville not getting seeding respect in the NCAA plus the guy likes a big stage and he would get a bigger one in Arkansas.

Pay the guy 2-3 milliion per year.
I love Jesus!

bknight33

Mark Few is a great offensive mind.  I do not know why he would leave Gonzaga.  He has built a winner.  He is going to dominate that conference every year, guaranteeing himself an NCAA tournament bid.  And in case you did not notice, he is now starting to draw top notch recruits to his tiny little school. 

Doug

I tell you what.... you get Pitino or Few in place, you could probably count me in for a game or three, as well.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

PigPusher

It would be nice for a change to get an experienced man for any coaching position on the hill.  Herring for example.

It appears that one of the biggies with Coach Heath is that he is too nice a guy.  Gotta get tougher.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

sooie dog

I don't think that Coach Heath can get it done.

Then we agree. 

As for as my coaching ability. I'm not typing all that BS anyone can give you a few lines.  I can promise you that I will make the SEC tournament and do as well or better than Heath ever has.  Anything better than that is gravey. Right?

bknight33

I applaud your effort sooie dog.  College coaching is just like every other profession: It's more about who you know than what you know.  Hell, I am sold on you right now sooie dog.  That was a "Houston Nutt" like speech.  I say we bring you on staff immediately as a consultant.  Then, in typical Rback fashion, we lie and BS our way around, until the time is right, and we christen you in as the new head coach.

Jim Harris

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 01:02:28 pm
Mark Few is a great offensive mind.  I do not know why he would leave Gonzaga.  He has built a winner.  He is going to dominate that conference every year, guaranteeing himself an NCAA tournament bid.  And in case you did not notice, he is now starting to draw top notch recruits to his tiny little school.

he doesn't have connection one to this area. He sorta made his feelings known when Nolan was canned, though he had absolutely no clue what the motive was behind it. Why would anyone even suggest him?

mikeirwin

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on March 15, 2005, 12:48:22 pm
If that is the case Mr. Sow, then you are absolutely right. Is that money not earmarked for specific uses? No wonder boosters have so much say so, $300 million dollars? Well if that is the case, then why do we not name our head coaches? If we have so much money to toss around for coaching salaries, why do we have to take chances with younger guys?

I do know that Broyles chooses younger guys because he thinks he can spot an up-and-comer and get them for their best years. I don't think finances have been a serious part of the consideration for a long time now. But again, i could be wrong. I'm not, but I could be.
Until the Van Horn hire that was Frank's approach. Try to hire a guy out there who was up and coming. A good coach who was not necessarily well known. He could get the coach cheap and get a lot out of him. Nolan and Lou are two good examples of the philosophy.
Van Horn was very well known. To get him away from Nebraska required some big bucks especially for a baseball coach. Yet Frank did pull the trigger. Since Van Horn is Frank's most recent hire it will be interesting to see if his thinking really has changed.
A young up and comer who he can get cheap or a blockbuster name that will cost some major coin. Humm. Can't wait to find out.
Where will it happen first, football or basketball ?

sooie dog

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 01:18:21 pm
I applaud your effort sooie dog. College coaching is just like every other profession: It's more about who you know than what you know. Hell, I am sold on you right now sooie dog. That was a "Houston Nutt" like speech. I say we bring you on staff immediately as a consultant. Then, in typical Rback fashion, we lie and BS our way around, until the time is right, and we christen you in as the new head coach.

You get the point I'm trying to make at least.  We both agree Heath can't get it done then why keep him around.  I still have not heard what you would do?  What's our options in your opinion? 

Jim Harris

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 15, 2005, 01:37:36 pm
If that is the case Mr. Sow, then you are absolutely right. Is that money not earmarked for specific uses? No wonder boosters have so much say so, $300 million dollars? Well if that is the case, then why do we not name our head coaches? If we have so much money to toss around for coaching salaries, why do we have to take chances with younger guys?

I do know that Broyles chooses younger guys because he thinks he can spot an up-and-comer and get them for their best years. I don't think finances have been a serious part of the consideration for a long time now. But again, i could be wrong. I'm not, but I could be.
Until the Van Horn hire that was Frank's approach. Try to hire a guy out there who was up and coming. A good coach who was not necessarily well known. He could get the coach cheap and get a lot out of him. Nolan and Lou are two good examples of the philosophy.
Van Horn was very well known. To get him away from Nebraska required some big bucks especially for a baseball coach. Yet Frank did pull the trigger. Since Van Horn is Frank's most recent hire it will be interesting to see if his thinking really has changed.
A young up and comer who he can get cheap or a blockbuster name that will cost some major coin. Humm. Can't wait to find out.
Where will it happen first, football or basketball ?

it won't happen in basketball until all the legalities with Nolan are finally worked out.

bigt54

If I remember right the 300 million was not for athletics, but the school on general.  Actually I believe it was for the business school. 

We will have to live with Heath another year. unless Nolan gets a gig.  I don't care who they get as long as they believe in their team all the time and not just when things are good. 
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: bigt54 on March 15, 2005, 03:41:55 pm
If I remember right the 300 million was not for athletics, but the school on general. Actually I believe it was for the business school.

We will have to live with Heath another year. unless Nolan gets a gig. I don't care who they get as long as they believe in their team all the time and not just when things are good.

I don't think that's right, but I can't prove it.  I did see one news story that said our endowment was in excess of $546M at this point.  Not too shabby!

tophawg19

most times how much you spend determines how much you win . there is a reason these guys get big bucks . supply & demand .If i sound negative sorry it's hard to find positives at this point .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

NUTT made a good hire in herring and has a good recruiting class lets see how that works .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HogInMemphis

I know the facts regarding the Walton gifts over the past 7 years.

In '98, the Walton Foundation wrote a $50 million check to the Business School. I was on the Business Alumni Advisory Council at the time. Our group and the Executive Alumni Advisory Council voted to change the name of the Business school because of the gift, to the Sam Walton School of Business.

Then, in '01 or '02, can't remember which year, the Walton Foundation wrote another check (yes, a check, not a gift of X over 10 or 20 years) for $300 million to the university. That money was to the university to do many things with - not for a specific college within the university and not for the athletic dept.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: bknight33 on March 15, 2005, 01:00:40 pm
Well junkyard, the product the athletic department is selling is deteriorating fast. If they do not do something to enhance it, it could start becoming a liability instead of an asset. Coaching in college sports sells tickets. We cannot pay the players, therefore we pay a specific person to GM, coach, discipline etc.......and put people in the stands. Putting people in the stands equals returns. Returns and high moral equal big boosters, which in turn equals more money. Coaches are the college programs.

You underestimate the depth and the short memory of the fan base.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 15, 2005, 05:37:24 pm
NUTT made a good hire in herring and has a good recruiting class lets see how that works .

The class was 7th or 8th in the SEC. 

CusefaninAR

Fans seem to remember winning championships easily enough.

Oklahawg

In the spirit of the original post, and for some general housekeeping...

1. VanHorn was brought on board because a serious push was made by baseball boosters. DeBryien (sp?) himself pushed hard for VanHorn. Do not underestimate the value of having the out-going coach leave on good terms.
2. During Nolan's trial the RF endowment was listed at $200M, I believe. The $546M figure is likely the general fund endowment for the University proper. These are not interrelated and the RF money is completely separate from the BOT endowment. The alumni association has a large endowment also, as do several colleges and departments. The business school has been mentioned. UA is one of the more well-heeled public universities outside of the Big 10 and the state of Texas.
3. Nolan has several years left on his buyout. Yes, that impacts hiring a new coach but more from a PR perspective than fiscally or legally.
4. JFB wants to get the next big thing one year before he'd have to fend off every major school with an opening. The model has worked, imperfectly, in the past. Thus, no assistant coaches need apply and anyone coming in better be had on the cheap so that the extra can go into locking the coach up long-term, if needed.

There are two ways to get rid of Heath without "firing" him. First, you can back him into a corner that is so dark and combative that he leaves. There are enough ex-coaches from UA that I'm sure one of them fits as a model, maybe Lou Holtz. Not really a firing but it might as well be. The RF banked on Nolan blowing up when they tightened the noose on his TV show, requiring an edit rather than a live feed (for example). Little things that aren't really little. What if JFB were to tell Heath he had to get a completely new staff. Big message there.

The second, and less confrontational, method is to secretly (or not so secretly) pursue options for Heath. Court suitors for him. Then, when he has moved on you can say, "Stan will be a great coach, but he made some mistakes at UA that he was not going to recover from. By moving on he can learn from them and everyone is better off for it. UA thanks Heath for his commitment and service, and wishes him the best at XXXX".

The problem with the 2nd method is that it might be a result of a trickle-down elsewhere in the profession and UA doesn't get prime attention for its opening. Both methods allow you to liquidate Heath's salary without having to pay for a buyout. (His buyout could be waived as an enticement to other schools, provided it was handled discreetly.)

JFB wants to quit hiring coaches for his major programs. He wants to leave with everything in tip-top condition and he can't do that with a coach (more than one?) floundering or a new coach just getting used to UA. Thus, I fully anticipate HDN gets lots of room to maneuver himself into a long-term stay. Yes, he's been around for a long time but JFB wants to get him "over the top" and lock him up for good. Can't lock him up with a long-term deal with a huge buyout until HDN breaks through into the upper tier of teams. No need to banter back and forth about whether it can or can't happen. That's the model and that's why HDN is still lurking around. JFB wants Heath to be the same way, but Heath may not be as salvageable as Nutt.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Theolesnort

The RF was listed at 25 million in cash and over 220 something million stocks and securities for a little over a quarter billion. Instead of spending they are trying to grow the fund so that when hard times do come through investments and the like they will always have move coming in than going out. But the way I see it you have to spend money to make money in other words a higher investment on the best of coaches would put a better product out there and the money will keep coming in. Economics 101.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Extra Point

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on March 15, 2005, 12:11:18 pm
We've got over $300 million dollars in the Razorback foundation right now. Money is not an excuse.
So, the solution is to blow millions of dollars since it is in the checking account?  It has taken a century to build up that fund for the entire sports program.  The interest earned on that money helps fund Title IX, I would assume.  Hopefully the folks writing the checks don't have that "burning a hole in my pocket" viewpoint.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: Extra Point on March 16, 2005, 08:56:18 amSo, the solution is to blow millions of dollars since it is in the checking account? It has taken a century to build up that fund for the entire sports program. The interest earned on that money helps fund Title IX, I would assume. Hopefully the folks writing the checks don't have that "burning a hole in my pocket" viewpoint.

I think if it cost the team $2Mil to buy Heath out of our contract, we'd probably come out on the postive end financially.  How much cash do you think the athletic department is going to give up next year when attendance, donations, merchandise sales and fan interest takes a nosedive? 

We've had great fan support at Arkansas over the last few years, considering how abyssmal the team has been, but that support is not bottomless.  If Arkansas doesn't show a committment to fielding a winning program, people will find better things to do with their time and money. 

Besides, I wasn't saying we should just spend every penny in our wallet.  Somebody started this thread saying the Hogs couldn't afford to pay for a new coach right now, considering we're already paying two off. And I said I think with the money we have on hand, it wouldn't be a significant financial hit for the RF, which it wouldn't. 

Think of it this way, you've run out of gas and are stranded on the side of the road in a bad part of town next to a gas station.  You've got $300 in your wallet.  Gas is $2/gallon right now, but if you wait a year, you're pretty sure you could get it for $1/gallon.  What are you going to do?  The powers that be on the hill apparently would rather wait a year. 

Theolesnort

Extra Point, look at it like this we have already made a tremendous investment on infrastructure, in facilities and the like. All those millions are blown if you don't go the extra mile, spend another mil or two and get the best coaches out there. You end up making money in the long run like a business will do putting a better product on the market. It's called being competitive with your competition.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

i.e. It's kind of like Wal-Mart as Sam was waning they got the best CEO out there not some up and comer for less.

SonOfMud

I do know that Broyles chooses younger guys because he thinks he can spot an up-and-comer and get them for their best years.

Where are you getting your information?  From all accounts Tuberville was Frank Broyles guy, and Nutt was the committee's guy.  Also Bill Self was Frank's guy, and John White and Co. wanted Stan Heath for all of the obvious reasons. 
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: SonOfMud on March 16, 2005, 01:06:34 pm
Where are you getting your information? From all accounts Tuberville was Frank Broyles guy, and Nutt was the committee's guy. Also Bill Self was Frank's guy, and John White and Co. wanted Stan Heath for all of the obvious reasons.

I'm sorry if I misled you with my post, it was based entirely on various media accounts, Mike Irwin's frequent comments on the radio show being a major part of that.  My intention whenever I post is to put forthy my opinions, not to impart so-called 'insider information'.  And as far as I know, you're right about tuberville, but I'm not sure about Self.   

I will go on the record right now and say that I have zero contacts with anyone associated with the University in any formal capacity.  I don't party with the players or coaches, don't go to church anywhere near Fayetteville, and have never met Jim Lindsey.  If you ever hear me claim some sort of insider knowledge, it will have come from random chance (sitting in a restaurant and having Nutt sit down at the booth next to me, talking too loudly, or something). 

Theolesnort

Grad95, It's not quite that bleak right now. Problem is, it is headed in that direction if something is not done and pretty quick. As the old bard said the solution oft lies in us, Off with his head. You would argue with the old bard would you?

gatecrasher

He ain't coaching right now...the question is is health...but if Heath doesn't work out (he won't) and Majerus is still not coaching, that would be the first person I would go after!

mikeirwin

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on March 16, 2005, 01:21:31 pm
Quote from: SonOfMud on March 16, 2005, 01:06:34 pm
Where are you getting your information? From all accounts Tuberville was Frank Broyles guy, and Nutt was the committee's guy. Also Bill Self was Frank's guy, and John White and Co. wanted Stan Heath for all of the obvious reasons.

I'm sorry if I misled you with my post, it was based entirely on various media accounts, Mike Irwin's frequent comments on the radio show being a major part of that. My intention whenever I post is to put forthy my opinions, not to impart so-called 'insider information'. And as far as I know, you're right about tuberville, but I'm not sure about Self.

I will go on the record right now and say that I have zero contacts with anyone associated with the University in any formal capacity. I don't party with the players or coaches, don't go to church anywhere near Fayetteville, and have never met Jim Lindsey. If you ever hear me claim some sort of insider knowledge, it will have come from random chance (sitting in a restaurant and having Nutt sit down at the booth next to me, talking too loudly, or something).
When he was at Ole Miss Tuberville fit the "up and comer" label. Self was more established and to me that was the point at which I noticed a change in Frank's hiring approach. Self would have cost big bucks.
In the interest of airing both sides, a lot of people familiar with Heath's hiring deny that Self was the first choice. They will tell you that Heath was Frank's guy and the committee rubber stamped it. I don't believe this because one of Bill Self's assistants told us at TV 5 that Frank offered Self the job. I can't see why he would have made this up. The assistant provided us with the dollar amount that Frank was offering. He seemed puzzled by it. We looked it up and it was $1,000 less than Nolan was making. The assistant later told us that Self got his salary at Illinois bumped up to 1.5 million. He said Frank told Self his hands were tied as far as matching the offer.  It all fits as far as I'm concerned but you won't get Frank to admit that or the people on the committee.
The Illinois assistant could have made all this up but if he did he was one hell of an actor.

NEAHAWG

Most sought after coaches will not interview with a "Serch Committee" we used one to hire Nutt and Heath, due to John White, they had one at Georgia Tect, and they hired that lier that got caught lieing about his resume at Notre Dame.

mikeirwin

Quote from: NEAHAWG on March 16, 2005, 07:24:09 pm
Most sought after coaches will not interview with a "Serch Committee" we used one to hire Nutt and Heath, due to John White, they had one at Georgia Tect, and they hired that lier that got caught lieing about his resume at Notre Dame.
Tuberville refused to interview in front of the John White committee. He did talk to Frank and a couple of the committee members in a hotel room in New York. The entire committee eventually voted for Nutt and Frank went along with their decision.
Frank might have fought harder for Tuberville but the Ole Miss people were determined not to lose him to Arkansas. An Ole Miss big shot booster supposedly made the statement, "We can't lose our coach to those people or we'll look second rate."
Frank wanted Tuberville but he did not want to get into a bidding war for his services.
Thus, Houston was hired.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on March 16, 2005, 05:53:34 pm
He ain't coaching right now...the question is is health...but if Heath doesn't work out (he won't) and Majerus is still not coaching, that would be the first person I would go after!

Why?  So he could come and then quit a few days later when his health fails like he did USC?  What makes you think he could replicate his recruiting success with foreign players and monstrous white guys here?  His contacts are all West Coast and he hasn't coached in several years.

I like the guy, but I don't know why he'd be anyone's first choice. 

jkcrunch

I have a solution for you.  Go to the games cheer for the players we have on the floor.  Stan is not going no where at least in the immediate future.   If I was a big time recruit I would laugh at our support.  I was at every game this season my seats are in the upper deck.  The row I sit on had myself and my wife and one other couple at every game including Kentucky.  The row in front of us only had people sitting in it a half a dozen times same goes for the row behind us.   We have this really high standard that we expect our programs to live up to yet as fans we are average at best.   Watch the people file out early it is disgusting.  I spent two years in the sports hell of LA where everyone arrived late and left early, we are almost that bad.   If you give a 100% effort as a fan then i appluad you for you are a minority of the folks who attend.   The kids see everyone leaving  the recruits see everyone leaving, they see us sit on our hands during the game.  They say nice things about the fans to be politcally correct.
I dont know if Stan is going to get it done or not but the players who had commited to us are going to get my 110% support for every minute of every game.  Lets start there.  Lets be as good a fan as we demand our team to be.