Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We talked about Troy and Bama...what about Kentucky?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 07, 2007, 11:11:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

Quote from: LSPRazorbac on May 07, 2007, 02:35:16 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 11:11:12 am
While Arkansas ranked #29 in total offense last season(378 yards per game), Kentucky was right behind them at #31 nationally(375 yards per game). Total defense was a bit different as Arkansas ranked #26( 299.64 yards per game) to Kentucky's #118(453.38 per game with only an average of 184.5 yards rushing per game being counted in that total). Their pass defense(or the lack thereof) hurt them greatly. On the other hand, in terms of Passing Efficiency, Kentucky ranked #11 nationally to Arkansas being #62. Kentucky also came out on top in terms of Turnover Margin posting a +1.15 per game(#2 in the country) to Arkansas being at -.29 per game(#78 in the country).

Their run defense (or the lack thereof) hurt them just as bad as their pass defense.

they averaged giving up 184 yards rushing, which was dead last in the SEC.  Not just last, but averaged 26 yards rushing more than the second from the last (Ole Miss).  And more than twice than that of 1st (LSU) and 2nd (Florida).

Defense worst against the Pass and Rush last year.

Last Year's Results
Louisville Lost 28-59
Texas State-San Marcos Won 41-7
Mississippi Won 31-14
@Florida Lost 7-26
C. Michigan Won 45-36
South Carolina Lost 17-24
@LSU Lost 0-49
@Mississippi St. Won 34-31
Georgia Won 24-20
Vanderbilt Won 38-26
La.-Monroe Won 42-40
Tennessee Lost 12-17
Clemson Won 28-20

2 point win over LA-Monroe?  come on now

Arkansas wins this one easy guys!  Their defense won't hold up against the Dmac and Jones show.  If it was late in the year, I might have give them a shot due to our running backs being worn down, But they will be fresh for the Kentucky game.

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 07, 2007, 12:00:13 pm
Some games to consider when talking about Kentucky last year

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Beat Central Michigan 45-36
Lost 49-0 to LSU
Was down 24-0 to USC until a late 4th quarter rally led to a 24-17 loss

Best 2 wins came over Clemson and Georgia.  Both teams were playing very bad football when they played UK. 
they beat Vandy by 12, we beat them by a gust of wind.
They beat Georgia 24-20, i'd take that 7 days a week.
They beat Miss St 34-30.... remember our game with State?
They lost a close game to Tennessee, did Ainge play? 
The lost 24-17 to South Carolina, we barely held on late and had an answered prayer before half.
Yes they had some bad games.  Teams like Kentucky and Vandy are going to do that.   They will have some really good games, that they usually blow... but they also will pull off an upset and yet play down in some games.    I'm just saying that it would be unwise to overlook this team.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopSlap on May 07, 2007, 03:53:43 pm
While Arkansas ranked #29 in total offense last season(378 yards per game), Kentucky was right behind them at #31 nationally(375 yards per game). Total defense was a bit different as Arkansas ranked #26( 299.64 yards per game) to Kentucky's #118(453.38 per game with only an average of 184.5 yards rushing per game being counted in that total). Their pass defense(or the lack thereof) hurt them greatly. On the other hand, in terms of Passing Efficiency, Kentucky ranked #11 nationally to Arkansas being #62. Kentucky also came out on top in terms of Turnover Margin posting a +1.15 per game(#2 in the country) to Arkansas being at -.29 per game(#78 in the country).

Their run defense (or the lack thereof) hurt them just as bad as their pass defense.

they averaged giving up 184 yards rushing, which was dead last in the SEC.  Not just last, but averaged 26 yards rushing more than the second from the last (Ole Miss).  And more than twice than that of 1st (LSU) and 2nd (Florida).

Last Year's Results
Louisville Lost 28-59
Mississippi Won 31-14
@Florida Lost 7-26
C. Michigan Won 45-36
@LSU Lost 0-49
Georgia Won 24-20
Vanderbilt Won 38-26
La.-Monroe Won 42-40
Tennessee Lost 12-17
Clemson Won 28-20

Arkansas wins this one easy guys!  Their defense won't hold up against the Dmac and Jones show.  If it was late in the year, I might have give them a shot due to our running backs being worn down, But they will be fresh for the Kentucky game.

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Best 2 wins came over Clemson and Georgia.  Both teams were playing very bad football when they played UK. 
The lost 24-17 to South Carolina, we barely held on late and had an answered prayer before half.
Yes they had some bad games.  Teams like Kentucky and Vandy are going to do that.   They will have some really good games, that they usually blow... but they also will pull off an upset and yet play down in some games.    I'm just saying that it would be unwise to overlook this team.

We have a better team and there is no doubt of that. Just the same, we turned the ball over more and had fewer takeaways than they did last year. Either they are great at taking the ball away or not turning it over.....either way, it helps them, not us. We can say how poor their defense is, but that was last year. We can say how great our offense is, but again, that is last year. Do I expect us to be good on offense this year? Absolutely. Do I tihnk they will be better on Defense...yeah, I do. I'm telling you, this is going to be a great game to watch!

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

JD Hogg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 04:17:20 pm
Quote from: HoopSlap on May 07, 2007, 03:53:43 pm

Last Year's Results
Louisville Lost 28-59
Mississippi Won 31-14
@Florida Lost 7-26
C. Michigan Won 45-36
@LSU Lost 0-49
Georgia Won 24-20
Vanderbilt Won 38-26
La.-Monroe Won 42-40
Tennessee Lost 12-17
Clemson Won 28-20

Lost by 31 to Louisville
Beat MSU 34-31
Beat ULM  42-40
Lost 49-0 to LSU

Yes they had some bad games.  Teams like Kentucky and Vandy are going to do that.   They will have some really good games, that they usually blow... but they also will pull off an upset and yet play down in some games.    I'm just saying that it would be unwise to overlook this team.

We have a better team and there is no doubt of that. Just the same, we turned the ball over more and had fewer takeaways than they did last year. Either they are great at taking the ball away or not turning it over.....either way, it helps them, not us. We can say how poor their defense is, but that was last year. We can say how great our offense is, but again, that is last year. Do I expect us to be good on offense this year? Absolutely. Do I tihnk they will be better on Defense...yeah, I do. I'm telling you, this is going to be a great game to watch!

Just my take.

The key to the kentucky game is the bama game.  If we beat bama, we have a good chance of beating kentucky.  If we lose to bama, we have virtually no chance of beating kentucky.

PIGINAPOKE

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Coondog Hog

Hogs By 10 pts.

They are a better passing team than we are, but I believe we will put enough pressure on them with our D-Line, that some of our questions at secondary will be be avoided due to pocket colapse.  We will be able to run on there defense and should be able to pass enough that we make sure we keep the run open.

:razorback:
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

ilovepinebluff

May 07, 2007, 05:11:10 pm #55 Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 05:14:29 pm by ilovepinebluff
#118 defense out of 119 teams....thats all you need to know.

Hogs by 17

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 07, 2007, 05:11:10 pm

Hogs by 17

I appreciate your optimism but I don't think I am going to write them off so quickly. I think they will be improved and if their QB is improved as well over last year(and they certainly have an improved offensive line this year), it might be a long afternoon for our secondary. Keep in mind, we get them the week after playing AT Bama, which will be an emotionally taxing game for us. I can't just say we are going to take them out back of the woodshed and lay it on them. Nothing, is automatic.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 05:21:41 pm

Hogs by 17

I appreciate your optimism but I don't think I am going to write them off so quickly. I think they will be improved and if their QB is improved as well over last year(and they certainly have an improved offensive line this year), it might be a long afternoon for our secondary. Keep in mind, we get them the week after playing AT Bama, which will be an emotionally taxing game for us. I can't just say we are going to take them out back of the woodshed and lay it on them. Nothing, is automatic.

Just my take.

Thanks for actually taking the time to point out why you think we will be a close game. Most darksiders just pick the opposing team just so they can make huggers mad.

While I dont think it will be an easy game, Kentucky's defense will allow DMAC to fart his way to the endzone.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 07, 2007, 05:26:59 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2007, 05:21:41 pm

Hogs by 17

Just my take.

Thanks for actually taking the time to point out why you think we will be a close game. Most darksiders just pick the opposing team just so they can make huggers mad.

While I dont think it will be an easy game, Kentucky's defense will allow DMAC to fart his way to the endzone.

Since you agree it might not be an easy game and yet made the mention of D-Mac as you did........are you saying that is hard for D-Mac? Do you have facts to back that up? Were you there? :)
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Last Year's Results
Louisville Lost 28-59
Mississippi Won 31-14
@Florida Lost 7-26
C. Michigan Won 45-36
@LSU Lost 0-49
Georgia Won 24-20
Vanderbilt Won 38-26
La.-Monroe Won 42-40
Tennessee Lost 12-17
Clemson Won 28-20

Easy, isn't necessarily going to be easy, this year.
Go Hogs Go!

jbcarol

May 07, 2007, 06:12:02 pm #60 Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:14:04 pm by jbcarol
Wanted to correct some of Woodson's passing numbers for the record:

31 TD's  7 INT's

The discussion is a replay of 2002.  Don't know if the game will be.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NWASooner

Kentucky's defense was arful but they shut down Clemson, which had a solid running game.

Also, keep in mind that Kentucky is going to have a very good passing game and that will be the first time Arkansas has seen that.  One HUGE advantage to having a good passing game is that you practice against it every day so you're not taken by surprise when you run into one.

NWASooner

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 06:56:15 pm
Quote from: NWASooner on May 07, 2007, 06:53:36 pm
Kentucky's defense was arful but they shut down Clemson, which had a solid running game.

Also, keep in mind that Kentucky is going to have a very good passing game and that will be the first time Arkansas has seen that.  One HUGE advantage to having a good passing game is that you practice against it every day so you're not taken by surprise when you run into one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bama puts up a decent day in the air with Wilson and DJ Hall teaming up.  If they would have thrown the ball more last year in Fayetteville they would have beaten us.  But they kept trying to give the ball to Darby (who by the way was the wrong back). 

Ditto on Bama in Fayetteville.  I remember watching that game and wondering who wanted to lose the game more, Nutt or Shula.  Bama had thrown on Arkansas all day long and had the ball on the Hogs 10.  What does Shula do?  He runs three times up the middle and puts the game in the hands of his 0-3 kicker.  Nice.

Meanwhile, Nutt ran out the clock at the end of the game with a tie score.  Again, nice.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jbcarol on May 07, 2007, 06:12:02 pm
Wanted to correct some of Woodson's passing numbers for the record:

31 TD's  7 INT's

The discussion is a replay of 2002.  Don't know if the game will be.

Oooops! You got me, you are correct....I must have looked at the wrong numbers, it is in fact 31 TD's and 7 INT's. Thanks for catching my mistake.
Go Hogs Go!

CCCharlie

Nutt SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED with that last loss to KY.
Because you may ask, which KY loss I am referring to, Nutt SHOULD BE FIRED.
He will be fired when WE LOSE TO THEM AGAIN THIS YEAR.
I have been predicting this one for months.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 07:10:02 pm
Quote from: NWASooner on May 07, 2007, 06:59:23 pm
Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 07, 2007, 06:56:15 pm
Quote from: NWASooner on May 07, 2007, 06:53:36 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Bama puts up a decent day in the air with Wilson and DJ Hall teaming up.  If they would have thrown the ball more last year in Fayetteville they would have beaten us.  But they kept trying to give the ball to Darby (who by the way was the wrong back). 

Ditto on Bama in Fayetteville.  I remember watching that game and wondering who wanted to lose the game more, Nutt or Shula.  Bama had thrown on Arkansas all day long and had the ball on the Hogs 10.  What does Shula do?  He runs three times up the middle and puts the game in the hands of his 0-3 kicker.  Nice.

Meanwhile, Nutt ran out the clock at the end of the game with a tie score.  Again, nice.

Yeah it was pretty pathetic.  Those two are so much alike it's scary, except one has been rightfully terminated and well the other...he is glued to the proverbial hip of Arkansas athletics. 

When the game gets close, Nutt will go into his shell.  He'll do the same thing this year.  All of the talk about a passing game is wasted oxygen.  He wants to get better until he gets nervous about it, which is usually about the 2nd series. 

You are correct sir.

Nutt's view of the season offensively: We are gonna block and run hard and control that ball and occasionally we may flip it out wide to Peyton when they get to loading up in the middle too much.

The rest of the SEC's view of Nutt's view: Please try to run the ball about 90% of the time this season.....please. We will be waiting for you. Oh, and, we'll be looking for that little patented swing pass of yours.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!