Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Come on, I dare you..........Arkansas at Bama-9/15/07

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 05, 2007, 09:58:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ttownhog

May 05, 2007, 03:42:00 pm #50 Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 03:45:45 pm by ttownhog
uote author=Hogs-n-Roses link=topic=135249.msg2078404#msg2078404 date=1178396460]
Quote from: ttownhog on May 05, 2007, 03:12:42 pm
Alabama has the advantage at QB. Although JPW can be inconsistent, and makes big mistakes in big games.
How can you not mention Cleavland or Hillis when talking about our pass game.

O-line will be close. I don't know why people constantly dog our o-line, we will be big and experienced.

Alabama returns many starters from a mediocre team. Arkansas returns starters from a great team. Last year bama had to play one of their best games of the season(besides kicking) to lose to us in overtime. Couple that with the fact that they are changing to a whole new system that may or may not work with the talent they now have and I say Arkansas has a chance. I think it will be hard to win in Tuscaloosa but If Arkansas wants to be a top tier team they have to be able to win in any environment.

Bama was several plays away from having a much better record last year. They let us and Tenn. off the hook for sure. They also had another game they blew if my memory serves me.
[/quote]
Sounds like the hogs year before last and the year before that. IMO a win is a win and a loss is a loss. I.E. we lost to Florida last year even if it was by one play.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 03:24:45 pm
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 05, 2007, 03:18:42 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 03:02:34 pm
Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 02:54:25 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 02:47:46 pm
Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 10:57:29 am
Quote from: schweine on May 05, 2007, 10:01:01 am
Alabama 27 Arkansas 24 - Alabama will have a new kicker in this game.

BUT WE WONT HAVE MITCH!!!!!

Are you talking about that no name unheralded Freshman that threw the game winning TD in overtime?  The guy that almost singlehandedly saved HdN's job?  Who are you talking about again?

No im talking about the guy who completed 7 passes to our guys and 3 to theirs.

OH...that guy.  The one that just by signing saved HdN's job.  The guy that had to throw in to double and sometimes triple coverage that day due to the shrinkage of playbook that the "playcaller" could call plays from.  The one that was clutch when it counted.  That guy?

I dont care how much you like Mitch, he did us more harm than help IN THAT GAME.

Back to the Bama game.....6-7 record in 06-07........New Offense.....New Defense......Hog victory.

How don't care how much you dislike Mitch.  He came threw in the Clutch...IN THAT GAME!

I dont dislike Mitch, I just know that he almost, by himself, lost that game for us.

MuskogeeHogFan

Alabama has the advantage at QB. Although JPW can be inconsistent, and makes big mistakes in big games.

O-line will be close. I don't know why people constantly dog our o-line, we will be big and experienced.

Alabama returns many starters from a mediocre team. Arkansas returns starters from a great team. Last year bama had to play one of their best games of the season(besides kicking) to lose to us in overtime. Couple that with the fact that they are changing to a whole new system that may or may not work with the talent they now have and I say Arkansas has a chance. I think it will be hard to win in Tuscaloosa but If Arkansas wants to be a top tier team they have to be able to win in any environment.

As for Cleveland and Hillis, they weren't mentioned by name, anymore than other players on Bama's team, because they were among the group that I said had 1-2 TD's each. I can't possibly list every receiver on both teams......I was hitting the highlights and going by depth charts. Both have great hands and can come through in the clutch, when given the opportunity to do so, which, isn't often in our past offense. Maybe they will get more of a chance with the new, improved, pro-style, passing offense being brought in by David Lee? As for the O-Line, regardless of how much enthusiasm we all want to have for this team, it is not the same O-Line. Three starters are back and there are a couple of other experienced veterans who played in 8 or less games last year. As in any of the major "power" conferences, depth is a key issue for the success of any team. We don't have that. We may have it by the end of the season, but we don't have it right now.

Granted, Bama may be changing to a whole new system, but the last time I heard, we are changing to a new offensive system for the third time in three years. That didn't seem to effect us negatively last year. So, I don't buy this argument.

As for Arkansas having a chance...well of course they have a chance. They have a chance to go undefeated as well. I hope that they can.....but I don't think they will. But I also believe, for a multitude of reasons, that Alabama has the same good chance and we are playing them in their house. I give Bama the edge in this one.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 05, 2007, 03:46:15 pm

Are you talking about that no name unheralded Freshman that threw the game winning TD in overtime?  The guy that almost singlehandedly saved HdN's job?  Who are you talking about again?

OH...that guy.  The one that just by signing saved HdN's job.  The guy that had to throw in to double and sometimes triple coverage that day due to the shrinkage of playbook that the "playcaller" could call plays from.  The one that was clutch when it counted.  That guy?

I dont care how much you like Mitch, he did us more harm than help IN THAT GAME.

Back to the Bama game.....6-7 record in 06-07........New Offense.....New Defense......Hog victory.

How don't care how much you dislike Mitch.  He came threw in the Clutch...IN THAT GAME!

I dont dislike Mitch, I just know that he almost, by himself, lost that game for us.

No, almost, by himself a coach that pulled in the reigns and made a rookie qb have to force passes into one or two receiver routes (and double covered) just to make a play almost cost us that game.  Football people know this.
Retired Radio Host

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ttownhog on May 05, 2007, 03:39:49 pm
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 05, 2007, 03:21:00 pm

Bama was several plays away from having a much better record last year. They let us and Tenn. off the hook for sure. They also had another game they blew if my memory serves me.
Sounds like the hogs year before last and the year before that. IMO a win is a win and a loss is a loss.
Youare absolutely correct. I almost included the fact that we were that way just a couple of years ago. And a win is just that, a win. Shula and Nut actually have a whole lot in common. The difference is that Bama is totally committed to winning at football, they give your your chance ( 4 or 5 years) Thank you for what you've done and tell you the truth which is they don't believe your capable of getting them to the top. I think we should tell Nutt the same , you helped us out of the cellar but we need Jimmy Johnson to take us to the top.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 03:51:17 pm

No, almost, by himself a coach that pulled in the reigns and made a rookie qb have to force passes into one or two receiver routes (and double covered) just to make a play almost cost us that game.  Football people know this.

Yes, no doubt that was a very good throw, but he also made some very horrible decisions. That win was a total team effort, and was not won by Mitch alone.

Hogs-n-Roses

That throw was a result of he and Ben Cleveland having done this before. The route originally called would have been eaten up by the 2 defenders whowere allover it. Benbroke the route back and away from the heat. Mustain read the same and it is now history.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 05, 2007, 03:56:31 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 03:51:17 pm

Yes, no doubt that was a very good throw, but he also made some very horrible decisions. That win was a total team effort, and was not won by Mitch alone.

never said it was.  it was almost lost single handedly.  Just not by anyone wearing a helmet.  But by one wearing a headset and biting his fingernails.
Retired Radio Host

razorbackfan4life

This game could be a dangerous one for us.  You can rest assured that the Bama fans will be hopped up after last years game.  I hope we will win, but I don't think we will come away with the W.

jpenrod1

Arkansas wins. the score will be closer than the game. oh and we will blow troy out, not avoid a scare.

claytongray

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2007, 11:31:27 am
Quote from: The Boar War on May 05, 2007, 11:22:30 am
If Arkansas played them at the end of the season or even at the midway point I would give the edge to Bama.  However since we are playing them in the third week of the season I have to give us the advantage.  I don't think Saban will be able to turn it around that early.  Our offense is the same as last year so it should be in place.

And IF our offense was the same as last year, I might agree.......but that is not the case. We have no passing threat to speak of

Please explain how this is different than last year.

jpenrod1

Quote from: claytongray on May 05, 2007, 04:11:21 pm
If Arkansas played them at the end of the season or even at the midway point I would give the edge to Bama.  However since we are playing them in the third week of the season I have to give us the advantage.  I don't think Saban will be able to turn it around that early.  Our offense is the same as last year so it should be in place.

And IF our offense was the same as last year, I might agree.......but that is not the case. We have no passing threat to speak of

Yeah i Dont undertand what pass threat did we have?

MuskogeeHogFan

We had the "pseudo threat' of passing last year as that was the perception of what having Gus, MM, DW etc. would bring. Now that we have undergone a "pass-ectomy" over the off season......we don't even have a "pseudo threat".
Go Hogs Go!

jpenrod1

I think our offense will be just as effective this year. i dont know about our "pseudo threat", but i believe that our passing game will be more capable this year than last. if for no other reason than because we have a QB who is a year older.

mword

Quote from: PBD on May 05, 2007, 10:40:04 am
Saban will win a national title at 'Bama within five years.

Something Nutt will never do in his lifetime.

HeathWimp

11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

RazorbackNutt

I think you guys are crazy to think we aren't going to have any passing.  CD will throw for 150, 2 TD and 1 INT.  Not amazing stats but that is all he will need when you tack on the 250 yards we will get from Dmac and Felix. 

Hogs win 35-24.

Mark it down.

hawgbawb

And IF our offense was the same as last year, I might agree.......but that is not the case. We have no passing threat to speak of, so the D will be crowding the line and we do not have the same dominating O-Line we had last year. Additionally, everyone and their brother and maybe their aunts and uncles, will be keying on D-Mac everytime he touches the ball. F-Jo might actually benefit from this, if he is in the game at the same time, and wind up with more yards than D-Mac. But what was, is no more. This is a different year and defenses will defense us differently. Just get ready for it.

Just my take.
Our passing game last year was pretty poor against them. I don't think it will be any worse this year and hopefully better. I won't cede them an advantage on the OL either, simply because Markuson always seems to produce a solid OL. That being said, I give them a slight overall edge since it is at their place.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

RazorbackNutt

oh yeah... and if you think the troy "scare" is going to last any longer than the first 10 minutes of the game, you're crazy.  Troy is in the SUN BELT.  Which automatically means that our line will at least be able to provide enough containment for THE  BEST RUNNING BACK/RUNNING BACK COMBO in the country to destroy them...Incredible Hulk style destroy.

hawaiianhogster

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorbackNutt on May 05, 2007, 07:03:16 pm
oh yeah... and if you think the troy "scare" is going to last any longer than the first 10 minutes of the game, you're crazy.  Troy is in the SUN BELT.  Which automatically means that our line will at least be able to provide enough containment for THE  BEST RUNNING BACK/RUNNING BACK COMBO in the country to destroy them...Incredible Hulk style destroy.

I can understand your enthusiasm, but I am trying to be more objective and look at all the facts. It is good that you so fervently support the Hogs, but it is attitudes like yours, that coaches don't want their teams to have....it leads to unecessary and unexpected upsets. Troy is no doubt, a lesser team than Arkansas in every aspect, but those are the kind that slip up on you. I wouldn't just automatically give Arkansas a pass on this game. I hope it plays out the way you say......but I will reserve my enthusiasm until I see how well Nutt has them prepared. We have a tendency to come out flat in season openers.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 11:31:17 am

I agree.  Plus, saban may be a great coach, but we do have better talent.  Also, they didnt see wildcat last year, so that may be a bonus for us. 
I guess they have no television in Alabama. China saw the Wildcat. Costa Rica saw it , Maybe the Grizz in Montana caught a play or two on KMONT.

Fla laughed at it..And stopped it. It is the Polecat now..
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

jfb4ever

Could Arkansas start 0 and 2 in the Alabama State Championship?

VoR

Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 10:59:52 am
The thing is, our running game is so much more powerful than their entire offense, it creates an off balance.  Positionally they may be better, but our offense is going to be better than theirs.  We will win this game, and im going to pull up this post when we do.  You guys give WAY to much credit to nikc saban, he isnt a God.  35-14 HOGS.

As long as you also promise to pull this up if we lose also, I'm fine with it. I hope you are right, but I sure wouldn't go betting the house on it.

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2007, 12:04:12 pm
Alabama had the better team last year in Fayetteville.  Everyone in the stadium knew it.  I've never seen a more sombre crowd leaving a stadium after a big conference victory.  Now, we improved greatly by Auburn, caught fire down the stretch, and finished the year a much better team than Alabama.  We played well enough to win the last three and deserved our final ranking.

However, we have major question marks in our defense.  John Parker Wilson is a solid QB, and his receivers are some of the best in the league.  Joe Kines has a solid crew returning, and he usually has HDN's number.  DMac and Felix will get their's, but this doesn't look like a win for Arkansas.  I don't like the intangibles or facing Bama in Tuscaloosa. 

Bama will go in as a three point favorite and cover the spread.

Didn't Saban retire Kines? I think Kines style will still be all over their defense.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Porquer4life

Arkansas will also have a new kicker in this game.  No affect in your opinion?

HITCHER

Win some money! Bet Bama! Houston has always been Nick Saban's bitch, just this time the skid marks will be Crimson and White instead of Purple and Gold.

Choctaw Hog

Having Nutt on our sideline is worth at least 14 pts. to the other team.  Couple that with the fact that Saban has probably forgot more about football than the Dork Jester will ever know and it doesn't look good for the Hogs.  The Hog players will keep it close in spite of Nutt and the MSM but Bama prevails by 10.   

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VoR on May 05, 2007, 09:08:22 pm
Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 10:59:52 am
The thing is, our running game is so much more powerful than their entire offense, it creates an off balance.  Positionally they may be better, but our offense is going to be better than theirs.  We will win this game, and im going to pull up this post when we do.  You guys give WAY to much credit to nikc saban, he isnt a God.  35-14 HOGS.

As long as you also promise to pull this up if we lose also, I'm fine with it. I hope you are right, but I sure wouldn't go betting the house on it.

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2007, 12:04:12 pm
Alabama had the better team last year in Fayetteville.  Everyone in the stadium knew it.  I've never seen a more sombre crowd leaving a stadium after a big conference victory.  Now, we improved greatly by Auburn, caught fire down the stretch, and finished the year a much better team than Alabama.  We played well enough to win the last three and deserved our final ranking.

However, we have major question marks in our defense.  John Parker Wilson is a solid QB, and his receivers are some of the best in the league.  Joe Kines has a solid crew returning, and he usually has HDN's number.  DMac and Felix will get their's, but this doesn't look like a win for Arkansas.  I don't like the intangibles or facing Bama in Tuscaloosa. 

Bama will go in as a three point favorite and cover the spread.

Didn't Saban retire Kines? I think Kines style will still be all over their defense.

Looks like Kines is out and Kevin Steele, a former Baylor HC, is in as DC. When Steele was HC at Baylor, Oklahoma always had trouble with them. They had a pretty good defense, but no offense.
Go Hogs Go!

jfb4ever

The game starts AL(Saban) 21 and AR(Nutt)0, and we are playing in AL., looks like to much to overcome to me?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jfb4ever on May 05, 2007, 09:04:41 pm
              Could Arkansas start 0 and 2 in the Alabama State Championship?

I think Bama takes us, but the Auburn game could be a toss up. They lost 4 of their 5 starting O-Linemen, though their replacements played in darn near every game last year. They also lost their starting backfield with the exception of the QB. Defense will be their strong suit and like every other team, everyone will be keying on D-Mac. Not sure about this one.
Go Hogs Go!

slopinhogs

Dmac goes for 180 scores two TD"S Felix breaks 100 and scores one we lose 28- 21
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

claytongray

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2007, 04:31:56 pm

We had the "pseudo threat' of passing last year as that was the perception of what having Gus, MM, DW etc. would bring.
Only in the mind of fans. Razorback opponents didn't fret over stopping the pass last year.

piggly wiggly

Yeah, Saban is a God.  Check out his record at Michigan St.  He averaged 4 losses a year when he was at LSU (Other than the National title year). 

Kines no longer coaches their D and they lost 6 starters from that unit. 

Ok. St. kicked their asses in the Independence bowl. 

My concern has more to do with the game being on the road and Nutt being on our sideline.

go hogues

-92,000 RABID fans
-First Noteworthy SEC home game under Saban at Bama
-We have Houston Nutt
-We don't have a passing game
-We don't have a secondary

-Our only hope is that we have two weeks to prepare for them.

Hogs beat themselves in the 4th quarter.  28-24.  Same song, new verse...
The wheels will begin to come off after this one.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RazorRaider

Quote from: go hogues on May 05, 2007, 11:42:08 pm
-92,000 RABID fans
-We have Houston Nutt

Actually having an extra week to prepare isn't going to matter.

I believe Nutt has a terrible record when dealing with games after an open date.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

bsking

Quote from: go hogues on May 05, 2007, 11:42:08 pm
-92,000 RABID fans
-We have Houston Nutt

Sweet, if their fans are rabid, chances are they will be dead by the 4th quarter and we'll have a quiet stadium.

35-14 Hogs.  Mark it down. 

Dick 210 yrds 2 TD
Mcfadden 135 yrds 2TD
Jones 155 yards 1 TD
Hillis 50 Receiving yards 1 TD
Monk 115 Receiving Yards 1 TD

taoteching

RazorbackNutt

QuoteI can understand your enthusiasm, but I am trying to be more objective and look at all the facts. It is good that you so fervently support the Hogs, but it is attitudes like yours, that coaches don't want their teams to have....it leads to unecessary and unexpected upsets. Troy is no doubt, a lesser team than Arkansas in every aspect, but those are the kind that slip up on you. I wouldn't just automatically give Arkansas a pass on this game. I hope it plays out the way you say......but I will reserve my enthusiasm until I see how well Nutt has them prepared. We have a tendency to come out flat in season openers.

It's not an attitude I would have if I were on the team.  If I were on the team I would be studying the scouting report at least the entire week before the game.  Which is what the players will be doing.  If I were a player and I had written that I would expect us to lose if I were you.  I think we are going to be good this year because I think we are going to have some seniors step up and lead this team the way that the seniors last year did. 

I understand your reservations, but this isn't USC.  This isn't a high pressure game against a top 5 team.  This is a good way to dust off the pads and start hitting.  It's going to be Troy's first game as well.  The team who can physically dominate is the team that wins the season opener.  Once the first couple of series wear into the Troy D and Felix and Dmac bust a couple clutch runs for big first downs that D will get tired and frustrated.  If this game were the week before a big SEC game 5 or 6 weeks into the schedule I would be able to sympathize with you a little more.  But the team is freaking good this year.  We're returning almost an entire receiving core and an unproven QB.  Not to mention the 3 monsters in the backfield and the badass sophomore TE.  Casey Dick will have at least 2 TD's and no more than 1 pick. 

RazorbackNutt

QuoteOnly in the mind of fans. Razorback opponents didn't fret over stopping the pass last year.

Most potent words I've seen on this board.  I would say defenses spent no more than 1/4 of the time studying the run game as the pass game, whether mitch, casey, or rojo was in there.  The only time a defense had to actually worry about the pass game beating them is when Dmac surprised them with a pass simply because they're looking for the run 98 percent of the time when the wildcat came. 

RazorbackNutt

May 06, 2007, 04:21:57 am #89 Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 04:27:36 am by RazorbackNutt
QuoteDmac goes for 180 scores two TD"S Felix breaks 100 and scores one we lose 28- 21

Oh come on!  Don't let your hatred for Nutt blind your view of his run-based offense!  Casey even had 1 td against LSU!  You know he will get the chance to hit monk on a fade route at some point, and with our running game we will move the ball into the redzone more than 3 times.  I honestly  think a lot of you who hate HNutts run run run offense so much don't understand that this offense CAN WORK!  The main problem with this offense is that when it doesn't work it can get so boring and frustrating.  I like the offense but I get as frustrated as any of you and beg for some passing game I promise.  Although I will say last year at the LSU game for 10 minutes before Dmac busted it 80 yards I was in the stands screaming "Why the hell are we still trying to pass it!  We don't need to!  They cannot stop our run game!"  I think that was where nutt went wrong last year was trying to sneak the passes in at times when we didn't need to, not neccesarily not passing enough (i.e. LSU 4th and 3).

arcowboy

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2007, 12:04:53 pm
Quote from: swisshog on May 05, 2007, 11:55:58 am
If we lose to Bama, who will be truly surpised?  Starting the season 0-2 would be pretty ugly.  Season over.

We aren't going to lose to Troy, and you now it.  Tough game but not a loss.

Just how sure are you of that ?   Have you got a 100 you want to put on that?

RazorbackNutt

I do.  Actually... I've got a grand I'll put on that.

wincrimson

CSNuts

Nice analysis MuskogeeHogFan.  IMHO, that's humble opinion, we'll pull this one out even playing in Tuscaloosa.  Saban is good but I'm not too sure he'll have them ready for prime-time.  Not by much mind you, but this team is going to have something to prove.  Hogs 24 Tide 21 with Tejada pulling our collective arse out of the fire.

holtzhog

oldtimerhog

That is a compliment in Nutt's offense!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

wincrimson

Quote from: holtzhog on May 06, 2007, 10:31:32 am
Bama is two or three years away

From what?  Winning a national championship?

Beating the Hogs (same goes for 'Bama) doesn't qualify you to play for all the marbles.  I predicted a close Arkansas win in last year's game due to the dumbassery on both sidelines and us playing in Fayetteville.  This year, we won't out-dumbass you from a coaching standpoint and the game will be Saban's first SEC contest at home.  I take us in a close one -- close, thanks to DMac.

Our front line is pitiful and DMac and Jones will have huge days.  However, I don't see y'all stopping our offense.  Hilarious to hear a Tide fan talking about a great offense, huh? ;)

NuttSu

Bama wins , last year they had a bigger idiot than we have coaching,and still should have beat us. This year they have have a coach that OWNS that clown up on the hill. Add to the fact we are playing at their house .... something smells bad about this game. I think it will come down to coaching and you know who has the upper hand in that category, D Mac and Felix keep it close but Saban will find a way to win this game........ Mark it down!!!!!!!!!!
   If im wrong ill show up and eat  crow stew.

MuskogeeHogFan

May 06, 2007, 12:57:09 pm #99 Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 01:00:14 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: wincrimson on May 06, 2007, 11:17:02 am
Quote from: holtzhog on May 06, 2007, 10:31:32 am
Bama is two or three years away

From what?  Winning a national championship?

Beating the Hogs (same goes for 'Bama) doesn't qualify you to play for all the marbles.  I predicted a close Arkansas win in last year's game due to the dumbassery on both sidelines and us playing in Fayetteville.  This year, we won't out-dumbass you from a coaching standpoint and the game will be Saban's first SEC contest at home.  I take us in a close one -- close, thanks to DMac.

Our front line is pitiful and DMac and Jones will have huge days.  However, I don't see y'all stopping our offense.  Hilarious to hear a Tide fan talking about a great offense, huh? ;)

There are many on this board who don't agree with me, and that is fine, I understand completely. I am trying to be realistic and objective and in doing so, looking at Bama's team and the Hog's, I think it may be a close game, again. Nutt has finally broken down and actually given a field goal specialist a scholarship, so we might actually have an opportunity to hit some field goals(hopefully) if it comes down to the kicking game. But the biggest difference I see is in three areas. 1) Our O-Line will be good, but it is going to take time.....we only have three starters back and those that fill in played in only 8 games last season and the other player didn't see one single game on the O-Line last season and though we have a promising redhirt freshman class backing up the starters....there is little experience beyond the starting line. Playing you guys early in the season, I am afraid our line won't have the time to "gel" like they need. 2) You have an O-Line that has experience as every projected starter you have played in every game last season. They may be young, but they got their baptism under fire last year and you have depth at the O-Line. And 3) our secondary is not deep and not as talented as last year. Again, it being early in the season, and only having played one game before getting to you guys, I don't expect the cohesiveness to be there to put up any kind of a good defense against the pass or for the secondary to lend run support, though one is easier than the other.

I think you guys take us in this game because of overall experience and talent, playing at home and the difference in coaching abilities. And trust me, your new DC knows how to put together an effective Defense. It may be close, but no matter how great a backfield we may have( and I think we may have the best backfield in the country), in the absence of great line blocking, no back can be as effective as they would be otherwise.

Bama by 3 at home.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!