Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big Time Memphis DT talks recruiting

Started by The Recruiting Guy, May 03, 2007, 02:30:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

Dontari Poe is 6'3 331 with 4.88 speed from Wooddale HS, Memphis TN. I spoke with Dontari this morning and here's what he had to  say.

TRG: What are your offers?

Poe: Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Memphis and Arkansas.

TRG: What other schools have contacted you?

Poe: Clemson, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Michigan St., Michigan, Louisville.

TRG: Who offered first and when did Arkansas offer?

Poe: Ole Miss offered first. Arkansas offered about 3 weeks ago.

TRG: Who's recruiting you for Arkansas?

Poe: I really don't know. I can't remember his name.

TRG: When is the last time you talked to the coach and what did you guys talk about?

Poe: We talked last week. Nothing really. He wanted to see how I was doing and trying to get me to come down.

TRG: Any plans for camps this summer?

Poe: I haven't decided yet.

TRG: Have you been to any school campus in the past?

Poe: I've been to Ole Miss camp and Alabama's camps twice.

TRG: Who's recruiting you the hardest?

Poe: Mississippi State and Ole Miss.

TRG: What coaches do you have a good relationship with?

Poe: Coach Freeze and Coach Orgeron at Ole Miss and Coach Price at Auburn.

TRG: What's your interest in Arkansas?

Poe: I like them and how they was the underdog last year but they haven't contacted me as much as the other schools.

TRG: When do you plan to make a decision?

Poe: Probably after the season.

Dontari had 63 tackles and 8 sacks last season. He's physically ready play with a 365 bench and 500 pound squat. He said Mississippi State was on the verge of offering.

You don't find too many 6'3 331 pound defensive tackles that strong and running a 4.88 in the forty.

WOW!!!

I'll stay in touch with Dontari. He was a very humble and respectful young man.

southern hawg

He can't remember who is recruiting him?  Whoever is recruiting him must have made one heck of an impression on him.

Richard_white

And it starts again.  Will Blackwell said it best.

grayhawg

Quote from: southern hawg on May 03, 2007, 02:36:29 pm
He can't remember who is recruiting him?  Whoever is recruiting him must have made one heck of an impression on him.
kinda hard to sell someone on your school if they don't remember your name. What do you think they talked about?

southern hawg

May 03, 2007, 02:52:22 pm #4 Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:57:10 pm by southern hawg
Quote from: Richard_white on May 03, 2007, 02:43:44 pm
And it starts again.  Will Blackwell said it best.
Sounds eerily similar doesn't it?

TX HOG

He remembers some coaches names, just not ours.........not good.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Shocktheman

He has the physical attributes for sure!  Hope for his sake and the HOGS he has the ACT score.

BigDeal

I'm sure he is a great guy, but not so sure about his potential. At 6'3" 331 and only benching 365 and Squatting 500, this tells me he is way too much over weight. Guys weighing 180 lbs are doing that now.   4.88 is not that bad for his size, but other reports have him at 5.0. I think Arkansas is probably interested ; but not at the expense of sending too many text messages. I think if grading permitting, he will go with Memphis or Ole Miss.

mrcrowley

Quote from: BigDeal on May 03, 2007, 04:01:04 pm
I'm sure he is a great guy, but not so sure about his potential. At 6'3" 331 and only benching 365 and Squatting 500, this tells me he is way too much over weight. Guys weighing 180 lbs are doing that now.   4.88 is not that bad for his size, but other reports have him at 5.0. I think Arkansas is probably interested ; but not at the expense of sending too many text messages. I think if grading permitting, he will go with Memphis or Ole Miss.

he is outside the fence anyway

The Recruiting Guy

Head Coach Cedric Miller said Dontari is on track to qualify.

HognotinMemphis

Danny Nutt has this area so you have to believe it was him. Or, it was another coach taking over for Danny if Danny can't carry his load. My guess is it was not Danny...probably Vaughn or Shibest, neither of which are memorable. This kid won't be going to Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

southern hawg

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on May 03, 2007, 05:43:54 pm

Danny Nutt has this area so you have to believe it was him. Or, it was another coach taking over for Danny if Danny can't carry his load. My guess is it was not Danny...probably Vaughn or Shibest, neither of which are memorable. This kid won't be going to Arkansas.
I would feel better with Rocker.

IcEwalker

its better to get a guy 6'5" 250-270 like Grant Freeman or Demarcus Love who are fast and agile and beef them up than to get a 330 pounder. there are exceptions, of course.

southern hawg

Quote from: IcEwalker on May 03, 2007, 05:59:43 pm
its better to get a guy 6'5" 250-270 like Grant Freeman or Demarcus Love who are fast and agile and beef them up than to get a 330 pounder. there are exceptions, of course.
I'm interested to see what the coaching staff ends up doing with Freeman.

old hog

Wasn't Anderson like 6'6" 215 out of high school? Now he's 285.

VenturaHog

I'm sure he is a great guy, but not so sure about his potential. At 6'3" 331 and only benching 365 and Squatting 500, this tells me he is way too much over weight. Guys weighing 180 lbs are doing that now.   4.88 is not that bad for his size, but other reports have him at 5.0. I think Arkansas is probably interested ; but not at the expense of sending too many text messages. I think if grading permitting, he will go with Memphis or Ole Miss.

expense of too much text messaging? explain this to me please.

slopinhogs

same old coaches same old song to the same old tune. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

RazorRaider

I'm sure he is a great guy, but not so sure about his potential. At 6'3" 331 and only benching 365 and Squatting 500, this tells me he is way too much over weight. Guys weighing 180 lbs are doing that now.   4.88 is not that bad for his size, but other reports have him at 5.0. I think Arkansas is probably interested ; but not at the expense of sending too many text messages. I think if grading permitting, he will go with Memphis or Ole Miss.

Dear god man, does your pro-Nutt spinning never end?
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

brooks74

THIS is why I am ready for HDN to move on.  I am sick and tired of hearing about text messages, FOI requests, etc., and am at the point of not really caring how that comes out.  But this is why I am anti-Nutt.  When we are recruiting a guy and we don't make enough of an impression for him to remember the coaches name that has contacted him that is ridiculous and a sickening reality check on where our recruiting is.

DeltaBoy

Looks like another PISS POOR Job by Nuttboy and the MSM!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cbjagman

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on May 03, 2007, 05:43:54 pm

Well if it's Shibest I can certainly understand why he wouldn't remember. Then again, so many kids talk about how "funny James is. Maybe JS missed his calling to be a comedian.

jackflash

if I were being recruited by any college and talked to them on the phone or texted even one time. Think I would remember who I talked too. If you were being recruited would you know who you talked too.