Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

yankee's impression of sec football

Started by arkyvol, April 28, 2007, 05:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

juke

There's this teacher at my daughter's pre-school who knocks the Hogs every chance she gets when I drop my daughter off.  She's a huge Penn State fan.  One of the last negative comments she made was about the basketball team after their run in the SEC tournament and how she couldn't understand them when they spoke to the reporters.  She went on to say that Penn State athletes are very upstanding, always speak eloquently and never get into trouble.  I can't wait to ask that yankee how six of her Penn State players went wayward and got arrested for brawling.

hogfan064

My response to this idiot.

Amazing that hate from Northerners still continue even to this day.  You insult Alabama fans by using old stereotypes that obviously show that you have very little class and have some awful hate inside you that you might want to seek help for.   Of course this might be the reason you're writing for the lowellsun and not some real newspaper.  Bama fans are passionate about their team and if you had done your research you would realize that this was also a fundraising event to help out local philanthropies in the area.  So not only did Bama fans get to watch a little football, but they also were able to help out some worhty causes.   Of course you in your hatred are to blind to see that.
Southerners love their college football, that might be hard for someone from New England to understand, but think of the Red Sox for a minute.   How do you think it looks when you have fans diving to find Babe's Piano?   You all actually believe in curses!!  How backwards is that? So go eat your chowder with your fat pasty women and learn to use the letter "R" please!!  Not to mention that media members that wrote for big boy newspapers(unlike yourself) showed their racism for years when covering African American players like the great Jim Rice who had it very tough in Boston.   If places like Alabama are so awful and filled with guys who chew tobacco then why are so many of you moving down South? If you made more than $25,000 a year then you could one day live out your own dream and move to one of the great beaches here in the south or maybe live in the scenic Blue Ridge, Smokies, or Ozarks.  But you'll continue to be a hateful loser who writes for a small paper and waste you life away with fat pasty women and curses.  Why are businesses moving here to leave the cold chill of the North? Why did Tom O'Brian leave Boston College for NC State?  You sir are living 50 years in the past.  Wake up and face reality.  Northerners dream of living in the South!!  Rich ones make it, losers like you don't and come up with hate to hide your own faults for not being able to leave the cold north. 

I'd love a response, but a smalltime Yankee writer like yourself is too gutless to do so.   By the way I'm not a fan of Alabama.  I'm an Arkansas Razorback fan and my wife works for the University of South Carolina.  I currently live in sunny South Carolina where it will be in the low 80s today. 

40YrHogFan

How can any writer from Mass deserve any respect - they keep voting for Ted Kennedy

HawgAlude

April 29, 2007, 09:10:05 am #53 Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:12:17 am by HawgAlude
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 29, 2007, 08:14:48 am

Amazing that hate from Northerners still continue even to this day.  You insult Alabama fans by using old stereotypes that obviously show that you have very little class and have some awful hate inside you that you might want to seek help for.   Of course this might be the reason you're writing for the lowellsun and not some real newspaper.  Bama fans are passionate about their team and if you had done your research you would realize that this was also a fundraising event to help out local philanthropies in the area.  So not only did Bama fans get to watch a little football, but they also were able to help out some worhty causes.   Of course you in your hatred are to blind to see that.
Southerners love their college football, that might be hard for someone from New England to understand, but think of the Red Sox for a minute.   How do you think it looks when you have fans diving to find Babe's Piano?   You all actually believe in curses!!  How backwards is that? So go eat your chowder with your fat pasty women and learn to use the letter "R" please!!  Not to mention that media members that wrote for big boy newspapers(unlike yourself) showed their racism for years when covering African American players like the great Jim Rice who had it very tough in Boston.   If places like Alabama are so awful and filled with guys who chew tobacco then why are so many of you moving down South? If you made more than $25,000 a year then you could one day live out your own dream and move to one of the great beaches here in the south or maybe live in the scenic Blue Ridge, Smokies, or Ozarks.  But you'll continue to be a hateful loser who writes for a small paper and waste you life away with fat pasty women and curses.  Why are businesses moving here to leave the cold chill of the North? Why did Tom O'Brian leave Boston College for NC State?  You sir are living 50 years in the past.  Wake up and face reality.  Northerners dream of living in the South!!  Rich ones make it, losers like you don't and come up with hate to hide your own faults for not being able to leave the cold north. 

I'd love a response, but a smalltime Yankee writer like yourself is too gutless to do so.   By the way I'm not a fan of Alabama.  I'm an Arkansas Razorback fan and my wife works for the University of South Carolina.  I currently live in sunny South Carolina where it will be in the low 80s today. 

The main difference between most southern states including Arkansas are that they are right to work states. Lets face it the pay for local companies in Arkansas is not proportional to larger corporations within the north. Northern companies have a different mentality. They take very and I mean very good care of their employees. I work for a bunch of Yankees now and I can tell you that the benefits, compensation, perks, etc. etc. are a lot better than I could get from an Arkansas based company. I do not think that it necessarily means that Arkansas companies could not provide this. I just think that the Arkansas companies are into making the relative owner families of the companies rich and not necessarily sharing any of that with the employees. I wish that we can get to a point were we continue to attract top notch companies that value our state and employees. Arkansas is a great state and I have lived there all my life and would not live anywhere else but I hope to see things change. We`have progressed a lot and will continue to grow as a state.

Wayne Watson

Someone told me that football was like a religion in the South.  I had to disagree!!!  It's way more important than that! :razorback: :razorback:
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

HawgAlude

Quote from: wayne1958 on April 29, 2007, 09:12:55 am
Someone told me that football was like a religion in the South.  I had to disagree!!!  It's way more important than that! :razorback: :razorback:

Arkansas Razorback Football is LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VoR

Sounds like he's jealous because he knows the Red Sox couldn't draw that many on penant clinching day if they were giving away free beer.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hogfan064

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 29, 2007, 09:10:05 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 29, 2007, 08:14:48 am

Amazing that hate from Northerners still continue even to this day.  You insult Alabama fans by using old stereotypes that obviously show that you have very little class and have some awful hate inside you that you might want to seek help for.   Of course this might be the reason you're writing for the lowellsun and not some real newspaper.  Bama fans are passionate about their team and if you had done your research you would realize that this was also a fundraising event to help out local philanthropies in the area.  So not only did Bama fans get to watch a little football, but they also were able to help out some worhty causes.   Of course you in your hatred are to blind to see that.
Southerners love their college football, that might be hard for someone from New England to understand, but think of the Red Sox for a minute.   How do you think it looks when you have fans diving to find Babe's Piano?   You all actually believe in curses!!  How backwards is that? So go eat your chowder with your fat pasty women and learn to use the letter "R" please!!  Not to mention that media members that wrote for big boy newspapers(unlike yourself) showed their racism for years when covering African American players like the great Jim Rice who had it very tough in Boston.   If places like Alabama are so awful and filled with guys who chew tobacco then why are so many of you moving down South? If you made more than $25,000 a year then you could one day live out your own dream and move to one of the great beaches here in the south or maybe live in the scenic Blue Ridge, Smokies, or Ozarks.  But you'll continue to be a hateful loser who writes for a small paper and waste you life away with fat pasty women and curses.  Why are businesses moving here to leave the cold chill of the North? Why did Tom O'Brian leave Boston College for NC State?  You sir are living 50 years in the past.  Wake up and face reality.  Northerners dream of living in the South!!  Rich ones make it, losers like you don't and come up with hate to hide your own faults for not being able to leave the cold north. 

I'd love a response, but a smalltime Yankee writer like yourself is too gutless to do so.   By the way I'm not a fan of Alabama.  I'm an Arkansas Razorback fan and my wife works for the University of South Carolina.  I currently live in sunny South Carolina where it will be in the low 80s today. 

The main difference between most southern states including Arkansas are that they are right to work states. Lets face it the pay for local companies in Arkansas is not proportional to larger corporations within the north. Northern companies have a different mentality. They take very and I mean very good care of their employees. I work for a bunch of Yankees now and I can tell you that the benefits, compensation, perks, etc. etc. are a lot better than I could get from an Arkansas based company. I do not think that it necessarily means that Arkansas companies could not provide this. I just think that the Arkansas companies are into making the relative owner families of the companies rich and not necessarily sharing any of that with the employees. I wish that we can get to a point were we continue to attract top notch companies that value our state and employees. Arkansas is a great state and I have lived there all my life and would not live anywhere else but I hope to see things change. We`have progressed a lot and will continue to grow as a state.

I myself work for a company based out of CT and I can agree with you that benefits are great, but one problem does exist.  It is much harder to get rid of a bad employee than it would be with many Southern companies.   It is nearly impossible to terminate an employee when it is obviously needed.  I'm not talking about the underperforming employee, but the kind that is disrespectul and abusive to others.  You basically have to relocate these bad employees to another department where they will continue the same kind of behavior.  I'm all for worker rights and better benefits, but the employee has to take some responsibility as well.  Don't abuse coworkers and show up on time isn't too much to ask.

Choctaw Hog

Let's see.  A derogatory article from a rag in Massachusetts is written about football attendance for spring game in Alabama.  I wonder if the same paper has ever written anything negative about Ted Kennedy or the attendance of a Red Socks game?  I doubt it. 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: juke on April 29, 2007, 08:13:33 am
There's this teacher at my daughter's pre-school who knocks the Hogs every chance she gets when I drop my daughter off.  She's a huge Penn State fan.  One of the last negative comments she made was about the basketball team after their run in the SEC tournament and how she couldn't understand them when they spoke to the reporters.  She went on to say that Penn State athletes are very upstanding, always speak eloquently and never get into trouble.  I can't wait to ask that yankee how six of her Penn State players went wayward and got arrested for brawling.

Tell her to move her a$$ back if she doesn't like it here.

Masshog

So some local town paper fool shows his ignorance. So what.  Its neither here nor there.... hes just a local paper yuckapuck (a Northern word with roughly the same meaning as goober) spewing ignorance. Frankly, I see the same kind of invective and parochialism that some of you are expressing outrage over in your own comments.  Your blind dislike of people and places that many of you have no or very limited (I met someone from Missouri once and he was a jerk therefore everyone from the North must be a jerk) experience with is almost scary. 

Not everything and everybody in the North is bad, and not everybody and everything in the South good.  Much grayer than that and lots of good (and bad) in both places.  Ive lived up here two years now.  Ive met and become friends with many many, and I have to say that they are every bit as nice and down to earth as my friends and family in Arkansas. 

Anyway, just my two cents.  Never thought I would be put in the position of defending the North and don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get back to Arkansas and to a place where college ball is appreciated, but it has nothing to do with the character of the people that I have met here. 
My feets hurt.

arkyvol

finebaum gets indignant.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pfinebaum.ssf

but i think he should distinguish between the citizens of lowell and this knucklehead.  (i wonder if it ever occurred to him--the problem of 92,000 tobacco chewing rednecks in a stadium finding a place to spit)

Hog in MO

Big whoop, guys.  Just be thankful that most yankess still think the South is a third world country.  Otherwise you might be overun with them.  Notice I didn't say "we" as I'm stuck here in the purgatory that is the Midwest.

Not all northerners are bad - Pat Bradley is a pretty good ole boy and he's as yankee as they come.  There are things about us they don't understand - such as our passion for BBQ, college football and women who look like women.  They're just as passionate but for different things - like clambakes and frisbee.  Yet there's still enough room in this country for us to spread out and do our own thing.  That's the beauty of America :) 

hogfan064

Quote from: arkyvol on April 29, 2007, 09:59:59 am
finebaum gets indignant.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pfinebaum.ssf

but i think he should distinguish between the citizens of lowell and this knucklehead.  (i wonder if it ever occurred to him--the problem of 92,000 tobacco chewing rednecks in a stadium finding a place to spit)

Let's see Finebaum, who is the most known writer in the South, or a guy from Lowell, MA.  I think Paul wins this one.

bphi11ips

Change a few things in that article and you have a perfect description of another truly meaningless event in modern athletics history - a New England Patriots pre-season game.  The difference is that the bratwurst chomping, beer swilling, wearing some stupid piece of styrofoam on their heads, ogling the skanky cheerleader throngs will pay about $75 per ticket to see free agents playing their last football games before they return to their alma mater to work as grad assistants.

Yankees love their NFL teams as much as we love out SEC schools.  So give us a break.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Masshog

You can't deny that Northerners love their pro sports.  In Boston, Cs, Bs, Pats, Revs and Sox...  and they are all packed.  Even the Cs as awful as they are come close to filling the Garden almost every night.  They are no less rabid for their pro sports than we are for our college sports. 
My feets hurt.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 29, 2007, 09:47:59 am
Quote from: juke on April 29, 2007, 08:13:33 am

Tell her to move her a$$ back if she doesn't like it here.
Ditto.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Yoko Oinko

"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

hog.goblin

Quote from: mike_k1911 on April 28, 2007, 08:16:20 pm
Interesting. I am considered a yankee that loves the Hogs and I don't know everything about everything. Wish I did

sounds like you have been properly converted  :)

870hogg

Yeah, there just mad because Harvard can't quite cut it year in and year out  :P  :razorback:

mike_k1911

I haven't been converted.

This whole topic is stupid anyway. The guy wrote an article about our competition and you all choose to stick up for Bama. Why? If it was writen in the local paper, you'd all be laughing about it.

I bet most of you dogging the north haven't even stepped foot up there. You base your opinion on crap you have heard or seen on tv.

DEVIL DOG HOG

I'll stick up for Alabama, at least they had a spring game.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

mike_k1911

Please remind me what the benefit is of a spring game?

DeltaBoy

This reminds me of a sign that hung in the local Greyhound bus stop in my hometown in the Delta, It said " Keep the SOUTH beautiful put a Yankee on the BUS!"
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

demonHOG1013

Why in the world does a Mass. newspaper care about how many people were at the bama spring game.  Is that the best news in MASS, whats goin on in Tuscaloosa??

Hugulus Hog

It is a pretty accurate assessment of southern football.

If it had been up north, the fans would have burned Tuscaloosa down afterwards.

WindyCityHog

Folks.....those up north don't get the Southern perception of football.

They point to thier alliance to a professional organization.....whether it be football, basketball, hockey, or baseball.

They call us a "cult".

Living in Chicago....I defer to the Cubs.

Regardless of your geographic penchant.....there is a large group where ever you go.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on April 29, 2007, 02:10:10 pm
Why in the world does a Mass. newspaper care about how many people were at the bama spring game.  Is that the best news in MASS, whats goin on in Tuscaloosa??

Your choice to  report on Senator Kennedy or Senator Kerry or Alabama Football.  More people care about  Alabama football than the other two.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Porkette

Quote from: mike_k1911 on April 29, 2007, 01:47:25 pm

I bet most of you dogging the north haven't even stepped foot up there. You base your opinion on crap you have heard or seen on tv.

Probably true, and I'm sure most Northerners who regularly make fun of or put down the South (and there are many who do) have never set foot here either. It works both ways.

I've traveled up north myself. I've personally experienced a few Northerners acting extremely condescending toward the South for no reason, and they were just plain rude about it to my face. But I've met just as many people from the north who were perfectly friendly and nice toward the South, and I've had plenty of terrific friends from the north over the years.  As common sense would suggest, these sterotypes are just dumb and pointless. Our country is so mobile now, people live in multiple regions in their lifetimes anyway.

GO HOGS GO!

DEVIL DOG HOG

GO GREEN!

juke

II bet most of you dogging the north haven't even stepped foot up there. You base your opinion on crap you have heard or seen on tv.

I had the most unfortunate experience of living amongst Chicagoans for a couple of years.  Those people put the "Damn" in Damn Yankees.  First class jerks, IMNSHO.

PowderedToastMan

Stupid yankees.  They are just jealous because 92,138 peopledon't turn out for their polo games or whatever crap they play up there.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HawgAlude

I am in yankee- ville (ciny - ohio area) for another 5 weeks. They fly me home on the weekends some though so it will not be that bad. I sure am glad it is not football season right now. Oh I do not know what I would do then. Actually ciny kinda reminds me of little rock the ohio river while not as scenic and nice as the arkansas river is not bad and they even eat catfish up here. 

turdferguson1

Quote from: MuleriderFan on April 29, 2007, 06:40:02 pm
Stupid yankees.  They are just jealous because 92,138 peopledon't turn out for their polo games or whatever crap they play up there.

Yeah,

The territorial condescending people are all from the north right?

jkstock04

Quote from: arkyvol on April 28, 2007, 05:46:22 pm
interesting.

http://www.lowellsun.com/fastsearchresults/ci_5732145
LOL, who cares.  I like this perception because it probably somewhat helps keep yankees from coming to the south. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

cityhog

cityhog finds this thread wicked retahded.

hog.goblin

I haven't been converted.

This whole topic is stupid anyway. The guy wrote an article about our competition and you all choose to stick up for Bama. Why? If it was writen in the local paper, you'd all be laughing about it.

I grew up spending a full month in the summer every year up north (Minneapolis area).  I still do, but only for about 10 days.  I have family transplated in NYC and they have married "native yankees."  I also worked in Bentonville for 4 years and 1/2 my clientele were retirees from various northern places.  I have also travelled to virtually every state and major city in the U.S., that includes most of the North.

Generally speaking, northerners are quick tempered, quick to be judgemental, and have an extreme biased against the "backward" south.  Most do not know where Arkansas is located - other than in the South.  They also curse a surprising amount in professional situations.  They frown when I say "yes sir or yes ma'am."

Clearly this doesn't apply to all yanks.  I have many good friends from up north.  These experiences seem to apply less to the Northwest, and even less to the Northern Plains.  But I have been treated rudely by those in the Northeast more often than not.  Now, I am not here to defend Alabama.  But I certainly have felt very welcome in Alabama.  I did not feel welcome in Pennsylvania or Michigan.  Actually New Hampshire and Vermont received me quite well.

All I am saying is generally speaking Northerners are very different from Southerners.  There are always exceptions to both sides.  I said you were converted because you clearly have an understanding of the South.