Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

yankee's impression of sec football

Started by arkyvol, April 28, 2007, 05:46:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghearted

Yankees have no understanding of football's importance in the South. Idiots.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

BigoBoys

The subject line says it all.  "Yankee"

moses_007

April 28, 2007, 06:52:03 pm #3 Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:14:23 pm by moses_007
He's making Alabama people sound like Arkansas people. :razorback:

[attachment deleted by admin]

ilovepinebluff

Jimmy

I had a yankee tell me one time that the money Arkansas put into athletic facilities was disgusting.  In the next breath, he told me to go to Ohio State if I wanted to see a REAL stadium.  The logic escaped me.   Ripping anything and everything south of Louisville is what they do best.   

mike_k1911

mcclintock126

I hate Yankees but I hate Red Sox worse

mike_k1911

Interesting. I am considered a yankee that loves the Hogs and I don't know everything about everything. Wish I did

FL_Hog_Fan

What were we arguing about anyway?

mike_k1911

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: mike_k1911 on April 28, 2007, 08:16:20 pm
Interesting. I am considered a yankee that loves the Hogs and I don't know everything about everything. Wish I did

Same here, have seen only one person chew during a game in the 7 years I have in Arkansas. Most northerners know better the others are a few cards shy of a full deck.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Masshog

Well, as someone who loves the South and who now lives just a few miles from Lowell, I have to say that your takes on Yankees is pretty much wrong.  Ive met lots of nice, very smart people in my time here.  But, dumb asses and rednecks (not much difference between a Southern and a Northern redneck) exist in about the same proportion in the general populations in both places... just that there are a lot more people (hence a lot more dumb asses) up here than there are in the South.   Not trying to stir things up, but I mostly like these people (other than the fact that college ball pretty well plumb eludes them).
My feets hurt.

FL_Hog_Fan

Quote from: mike_k1911 on April 28, 2007, 08:20:35 pm
who are you calling an idiot?

Obviously, since the post is about somebody's opinion of football, and I didn't quote anyone, I was talking about the writer of the article.  Hello...
What were we arguing about anyway?

Mr. Hog

Go Hogs Go!

mike_k1911

Sorry about that. I thought you were refering to me.

Justifiable Hogicide

A Massachusetts newspaper writing about the fantastic and excited crowd at the Alabama spring game.

Well, we sure don't have to worry about them writing about ours as long as the Nutt brothers are running things.

:razorback:

mike_k1911

Mr. Hog, I guess I must be stupid or something because I didn't see Arkansas or Razorback or any reason for anyone here to be mad. Personally, I think it was funny that he bashed Saban and the Tide.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Them people in the Northeast sure talk funny.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

mike_k1911

Devil Dog, Where are you from in the north?

Masshog

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on April 28, 2007, 08:33:07 pm
Them people in the Northeast sure talk funny.
That we can agree on.  Of course, hardly a day goes by when I don't meet someone cause of the way I talk. 
My feets hurt.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Dowagiac Michigan - Accross Lake Michigan from Chicago and a little northwest of South Bend Indiana.

Where do you come from if I may ask?

GO GREEN!

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mike_k1911

Small town in upstate NY called Corning.

PIGINAPOKE

If I remember the South Lost in 1864-65. And yet you still have the wanna be Rebels.. No wonder others think of the south like they do. A Rebel Bass fights harder than a Yankee Bass, A Rebel Deer has bigger Horns /.......It is ANTLERS....Steers have Horns...Good Lord............... As long as the stupidity lives....They will follow.               
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

DEVIL DOG HOG

Just want your heat too cold up north.

GO GREEN!

Masshog

You got that right.  Winter just goes on and on. 
My feets hurt.

oldbooniehog

Here's the email I just sent this loser.

First, I want to make something completely clear.

I hate Alabama.

But I dislike clueless Yankees even more.

You are completely and totally ignoring something about Nick Saban here, and I don't even like Saban.

But Saban used to coach at LSU.

L.....S......U.......which stands for  Louisiana State University.

Remember?

You think Alabama fans are nuts, you should go to a night game in Death Valley sometime.

I think Saban knows a thing or two about SEC football and what SEC fans are like.

Unlike alleged sportswriters from Massachusetts

Warm fuzzies from down south.................

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Doug

The really sad thing is that is the newspaper from my last hometown.  :/
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

John Futrall

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on April 28, 2007, 08:37:30 pm
Dowagiac Michigan - Accross Lake Michigan from Chicago and a little northwest of South Bend Indiana.

I know exactly where that is...I grew up in Flint myself, and was just up there last week

Masshog

Douglas, we lived about 10 miles apart.... Waltham....  Did you hate it up here?  I miss Arkansas but over two years have actually had kind of a good time.
My feets hurt.

Doug

If I never see New England again, it'll be too soon.  I'm happy here in Atlanta, in California or in Seattle.  :D
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WILL CLINTON

Everyone has seen this I'm sure, but it rings true here. 

Stadium Size:

NORTH:  College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

SOUTH:  High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor:

NORTH:  Statues of founding fathers.

SOUTH:  Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:

NORTH:  Also a physics major.

SOUTH:  Also Miss America..

Cheerleaders:

NORTH:  If you are slightly coordinated, you make the varsity squad.

SOUTH:  You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets:

NORTH:  5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.

SOUTH:  5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Women’s Accessories:

NORTH:  ChapStick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.

SOUTH:  Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Jack Daniels/Crown. Money is not necessary — That’s what dates are for.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:

NORTH:  Students and teachers not sure they’re going to the game, Because they have classes on Friday.

SOUTH:  Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don’t want to see The few hung-over students that might actually make it to class and throw up on their floor.

Parking:

NORTH:  An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.

SOUTH:  RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for The weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:

NORTH:  A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.

SOUTH:  Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting “Game Day Live” to get on camera  and wave to the folks up north.

Tailgating:

NORTH:  Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.

SOUTH:  30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by “Dave Matthews’ Band,” who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium:

NORTH:  You ask “Where’s the stadium?” When you find it, you walk right in.

SOUTH:  When you’re near it, you’ll hear it. On game day it becomes the state’s third largest city.

Concessions:

NORTH:  Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.

SOUTH:  Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team’s mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Jack Daniels/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played:

NORTH:  Stands are still less than half full.

SOUTH:  100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

Smell in the Air After the First Score:

NORTH:  Nothing changes.

SOUTH:  Fireworks, with a touch of Jack Daniels/Crown.

Commentary (Male):

NORTH:  “Nice play.”

SOUTH:  “*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs.”

Commentary (Female):

NORTH:  “My, this certainly is a violent sport.”

SOUTH:  “*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs.”

Announcers:

NORTH:  Neutral and paid.

SOUTH:  Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:

NORTH:  The stadium is emptying out.

SOUTH:  Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker while somebody goes to The nearest package store for more bourbon. Planning begins for next week’s game.

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HawgAlude

Yes fellow hogville bloggers; I too am currently surrounded by yankees. I feel outnumbered but nothing I can do about it. How many yankees fill our state? We went from 1990 population of 750,000 to 2007 population of 3,000,000. The majority of these people are from where? the north. What oh what are we to do?????

I have an idea lets convert them to razorback/ sec fans and expand razorback stadium to 70,000 people. Oh wait they have already done that.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on April 28, 2007, 09:44:55 pm
Everyone has seen this I'm sure, but it rings true here. 

Stadium Size:

NORTH:  College football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

SOUTH:  High school football stadiums hold 20,000 people.

Campus Decor:

NORTH:  Statues of founding fathers.

SOUTH:  Statues of Heisman trophy winners.

Homecoming Queen:

NORTH:  Also a physics major.

SOUTH:  Also Miss America..

Cheerleaders:

NORTH:  If you are slightly coordinated, you make the varsity squad.

SOUTH:  You begin cheer camp at age two, complete with ballet, dance, & gymnastic training.

Getting Tickets:

NORTH:  5 days before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus and purchase tickets.

SOUTH:  5 months before the game you walk into the ticket office on campus & put name on the waiting list.

Women's Accessories:

NORTH:  ChapStick in back pocket and a $20 bill in the front pocket.

SOUTH:  Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, waterproof mascara, and a fifth of Jack Daniels/Crown. Money is not necessary — That's what dates are for.

Friday Classes After a Thursday Night Game:

NORTH:  Students and teachers not sure they're going to the game, Because they have classes on Friday.

SOUTH:  Teachers cancel Friday classes because they don't want to see The few hung-over students that might actually make it to class and throw up on their floor.

Parking:

NORTH:  An hour before game time, the University opens the campus for game parking.

SOUTH:  RVs sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for The weekend festivities. The really faithful arrive on Tuesday.

Game Day:

NORTH:  A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.

SOUTH:  Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting "Game Day Live" to get on camera  and wave to the folks up north.

Tailgating:

NORTH:  Raw meat on a grill, beer with lime in it, listening to local radio station with truck tailgate down.

SOUTH:  30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by "Dave Matthews' Band," who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off bottle of bourbon.

Getting to the Stadium:

NORTH:  You ask "Where's the stadium?" When you find it, you walk right in.

SOUTH:  When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day it becomes the state's third largest city.

Concessions:

NORTH:  Drinks served in a paper cup, filled to the top with soda.

SOUTH:  Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot on it, filled less than halfway with soda, to ensure enough room for Jack Daniels/Crown.

When National Anthem is Played:

NORTH:  Stands are still less than half full.

SOUTH:  100,000 fans, all standing, sing along in perfect four-part harmony.

Smell in the Air After the First Score:

NORTH:  Nothing changes.

SOUTH:  Fireworks, with a touch of Jack Daniels/Crown.

Commentary (Male):

NORTH:  "Nice play."

SOUTH:  "*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs."

Commentary (Female):

NORTH:  "My, this certainly is a violent sport."

SOUTH:  "*#@&@, you slow *&%$@#! - tackle him and break his legs."

Announcers:

NORTH:  Neutral and paid.

SOUTH:  Announcer harmonizes with the crowd in the fight song, with a tear in his eye because he is so proud of his team.

After the Game:

NORTH:  The stadium is emptying out.

SOUTH:  Another rack of ribs goes on the smoker while somebody goes to The nearest package store for more bourbon. Planning begins for next week's game.

Thats awesome....+1!

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 28, 2007, 09:47:02 pm
Yes fellow hogville bloggers; I too am currently surrounded by yankees. I feel outnumbered but nothing I can do about it. How many yankees fill our state? We went from 1990 population of 750,000 to 2007 population of 3,000,000. The majority of these people are from where? the north. What oh what are we to do?????

I have an idea lets convert them to razorback/ sec fans and expand razorback stadium to 70,000 people. Oh wait they have already done that.

I would say that the majority of our population increase is due to people a little further south.  south of Tejas to be exact. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Masshog

Quote from: Douglas on April 28, 2007, 09:43:52 pm
If I never see New England again, it'll be too soon.  I'm happy here in Atlanta, in California or in Seattle.  :D
I have lived in California and spent a great deal of time in Seattle.  Oddly enough, I like NE better than I like CA (although I love to visit there) and I liked Seattle a lot.  I have found the fishing here to be excellent, go to Maine a lot, have made friends that like the outdoors ....   If I had my druthers, I would have the same job I have now, but in Arkansas... but this ain't bad.
My feets hurt.

slopinhogs

why i caint evn spel northanher :razorback: i live north of Jonesboro though so whut duz thet make me?
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

HawgAlude

probably so but I will return to my beloved hawgs and state soon enough -- oh what joy it gives me to have a great football team like the razorbacks to support. The SEC is the Dominate conference in the nation. SEC SEC SEC chanted on the NFL draft. I just wish it was the same team as last year, but we will survive and the team even with Nutt in full control will be better than last year. 

Masshog

My feets hurt.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 28, 2007, 09:47:02 pm

We walked in backward and told y'll we was leavin.

GO GREEN!

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: mikeyg31 on April 28, 2007, 09:34:13 pm
Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on April 28, 2007, 08:37:30 pm

I know exactly where that is...I grew up in Flint myself, and was just up there last week

Home of the Flintstones - MSU - North Go Green

GO GREEN!

camden5r

who cares what a yankee thinks about the south!!!!!!!!!!!!

HawgAlude

Quote from: blunthog on April 28, 2007, 10:44:12 pm

True cause they all let us know what they think of us. Except when they move to our state then they end up staying. Why stay when the north was so better according to you all.

cityhog

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 28, 2007, 10:50:30 pm
Quote from: blunthog on April 28, 2007, 10:44:12 pm

True cause they all let us know what they think of us. Except when they move to our state then they end up staying. Why stay when the north was so better according to you all.

The weather.  Period.

V

April 28, 2007, 11:23:38 pm #46 Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:30:26 pm by V
Quote from: Douglas on April 28, 2007, 09:27:41 pm
The really sad thing is that is the newspaper from my last hometown.  :/
[/quote

that is odd, your last hometown as opposed to your 1st hometown, your 2nd and so forth. I was under the impression a person only had 1 hometown. Wow, I can just go crazy with this hometown thing now...thanks. I guess my last hometown is Mustng Island, TX.

hawgsav1

ok, instead of making such a big deal about it.  Think about it as such.  People from up north have their teams, e.g. the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Knicks, the Celtics.  They're very passionate about those teams in general.  However, us native Arkansans and SEC folks don't have many pro-teams to root for.  Some of us go for the Cowboys, maybe the Chiefs, the Cards, but we can't really go to the games and do our thing there.  So what do we do?  We turn to the closest thing we have to pro-sports which is college football.  We give everything we have to supporting our team, whether it be the Hawgs, Dawgs, Gators, Vols, etc.  The pageantry and all the other hullaballoo that surrounds college football (and sometimes even high school) and the fact that we participate in it whole-heartedly is surprising to many people, especially from up north.  Think about it.  There aren't many big time schools up there in general (a lot of small liberal arts colleges because the state universities aren't so big).  These small schools can ill-afford to have a big-time CFB program so they don't.  Down here we put our money into one or two big state schools and they can afford to run a big name CFB program.  So when northerners think about supporting their alma mater, it's not in an athletic sense since those programs don't have as big of an athletic emphasis.  However, we down here can support the big time CFB programs and watch them play in big games and be a part of that pageantry.  Also, people grow up rooting for an Arkansas or a Tennessee, or an Alabama the same way northerners grow up rooting for the Celtics, Knicks, Red Sox or Yankees.  However, in general, college football inspires more action, pageantry, and fervor so CFB (and other college sports) fans tend to be much more fanatical than pro-team fans.  In general, SEC fans are the most intense of all sports.  We are so hard-core we give soccer hooligans a run for their money.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hogfan_no1

Yankees are like hemorrhoids - when they come down and go back up, they're okay.  But when they come down and stay down, they're a real pain in the (rear).
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Please don't put all yankees in the same statement. Most that stay know that things are done different and better in the south.

GO GREEN!