Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve Spurrier

Started by ilovepinebluff, April 25, 2007, 07:24:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 25, 2007, 09:36:11 pm

Florida was very good when Spurrier took over,he just elevated them to another level. You need to check Gators history. As ya'll have learned,you can be good and not win SEC title.

At best, Florida was the equivalent of what Arkansas is now prior to Spurrier.  They were average in the SEC at best.  Even with Emmitt Smith and Charlie Pell's cheating they were still a very average team.

Spurrier immediately made them the best in the conference and kept them there.

razorbackcaller

littlefoot works for nutt's pr firm!

hogfan064

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 09:25:50 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 08:53:21 pm
Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 08:51:53 pm
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 08:43:42 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 08:36:42 pm
Gee ya think.  Spurrier would've won the SEC East in 2005 if not for a missed FG against Georgia.  In year 1 he nearly did the impossible.

Gee, ya I think. And a play here, a block there, and according to HDN the Hogs would be undefeated.

The bottom line is that Spurrier's best years are behind him. South Carolina spent money on a guy who can sell tickets and recruit kids based on his past success. If he was so close to doing the impossible in year one, then his next to last place finish wouldn't make much sense then would it?

What on earth makes you think his best years are behind him?  He took over a program that needed rebuilding.  He's doing that EXTREMELY well.  The team is getting better, and this past season he signed the #6 recruiting class. 

How can you say his best years are behind him? 

The fact is he's building a roster that is becoming eerily similar to his Florida rosters, yet  no one here wants to admit that.

People here who are criticizing Spurrier are in serious denial about what he's doing at SC.

Some folks are blind to the truth when the truth hurts. 

I could give a rat's a$$ about Spurrier or South Carolina. If you don't like my opinion, then that's cool with me. But it's still my opinion.

And he still finished next to last in the SEC East.

I know he's a great coach. Hell, Joe Pa is a great coach, as is Bobby Bowden, but they aren't exactly competing at the same level they have in years past now are they?

Until Spurrier can take South Carolina and make them a better team than Georgia or Tennessee, he isn't gonna make me believe for one second that he's got the same hunger to win as he did at Florida.

And that's not just based on my opinion. There's been a couple articles out there that call into question a coach's effectiveness once they reach a certain age. Bill Simmons wrote one not to long ago.

Hence why I included Parcells and Gibbs into n earlier post. Are they bad coaches? Don't make it such a personal issue. if I hurt your feelings then I'm sorry. Read the opinion, and move on. Saying the "truth hurts" is childish, especially when your "truth" is no more than an opinion.

Seems like you got your feelings hurt.  Sorry you can't hold an intelligent arguement without using profanities.  Have a good night.

budcampbellfan

How many SEC and National Championships has Spurrier won?  How many has Nuttso won?  How many times has Spurrier been blown out of the stadium?  How many times has Nuttso?  How many times has Spurrier been beat by Kentucky and Vandy at home?  How many times has Nuttso?
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

HuntinHog421

Pinebluff has a point.
People, shut up about a 10-4 season being a "C". To get an "A" a coach would have to be 13-1. A "B" would be 12-2. So that's just stupid. Who would consider an 11-3 season "average"? A whacko. But that's a "C". So that whole argument is stupid.
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 07:36:49 pm
What im trying to figure out is......People consider our 10-4 season a "C" season, because we won 71% of games. But while Spurrier also has a grade of a "C"(winning percentage), he is considered a GREAT coach.

Double standard?
that was Spurriers AVERAGE - 71% is Nutts best year!  THINK!
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

NuttinItUp

Wes Craven

Quote from: budcampbellfan on April 25, 2007, 09:57:15 pm
What im trying to figure out is......People consider our 10-4 season a "C" season, because we won 71% of games. But while Spurrier also has a grade of a "C"(winning percentage), he is considered a GREAT coach.

Double standard?
that was Spurriers AVERAGE - 71% is Nutts best year!  THINK!

Though I loathe Houston Nutt his best season was 9-3 when he won 75% of his games. However this still proves he blows as a coach. Spurrier won 75% of his games hi entire career. Nutt can barely get that done once. Mediocrity Now!

Wes Craven

Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 25, 2007, 09:56:34 pm
Pinebluff has a point.
People, shut up about a 10-4 season being a "C". To get an "A" a coach would have to be 13-1. A "B" would be 12-2. So that's just stupid. Who would consider an 11-3 season "average"? A whacko. But that's a "C". So that whole argument is stupid.

Spoken like a true Razorback Fan Apologist. You know who considers 11-3 average. Top 15 PROGRAMS!! Not teams that win 10 games in one year. Teams who are perenially in the top 10 to 15 teams in the country.

hogwildinhouston

April 25, 2007, 10:06:40 pm #59 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:12:03 pm by hogwildinhouston
Pinebluff has a point.

Pinebluff doesn't have a point.

First of all, I haven't seen many people try to use high school grading percentages to judge a football season.

Second of all, to make his supposed point he's comparing one season to another coaches career.  In one context the percentage is decent and in the other it's outstanding.  Again, comparing apples to oranges.

Third, I haven't seen anyone say that the 10-4 season was average.  It was good, but it's not the great thing the Nutt lovers want people to think it is when it took 14 games to get the 10 wins.

He didn't win a conference championship and didn't win his bowl game.  It was no doubt it was a good season, but it certainly doesn't qualify as a great season.  When this is the best season you can point to in a 9 year career, that isn't saying much.

Where exactly did this team finish ranked when the final poll came out? 

Exactly.  # 15   Good, but hardly great.   Add to that it's the best Nutt's had.

HuntinHog421

Riiight...so of the 6 years that Carroll has been at USC, 1/2 of his seasons have been average and below average, or in your terms, mediocre.
7 of Mack Brown's Texas years were average and below average.
10 of 12 of Spurrier's years at Florida were average and below average, according to your terms.

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 07:29:54 pm
Wouldn't a winning percentage of 75% be considered "average" though?
By definition, a winning percentage of 50% is average.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 10:06:40 pm
Pinebluff has a point.

Pinebluff doesn't have a point.

First of all, I haven't seen many people try to use high school grading percentages to judge a football season.

Second of all, to make his supposed point he's comparing one season to another coaches career.  In one context the percentage is decent and in the other it's outstanding.  Again, comparing apples to oranges.

Third, I haven't seen anyone say that the 10-4 season was average.  It was good, but it's not the great thing the Nutt lovers want people to think it is when it took 14 games to get the 10 wins.

He didn't win a conference championship and didn't win his bowl game.  It was no doubt it was a good season, but it certainly doesn't qualify as a great season.  When this is the best season you can point to in a 9 year career, that isn't saying much.

Where exactly did this team finish ranked when the final poll came out? 

Exactly.  # 15   Good, but hardly great.   Add to that it's the best Nutt's had.

Woah buddy, I was using the grading system to prove something. I see darksiders using it to make it look like we had a "C" season. I was implying that a school grading system does not work for football. Read the first 3 post in this thread.

You havent seen anyone call this season average? Look at the thread "If I hear 10-4 one more time", and get back to me.

msudawgs64

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 07:29:54 pm
Wouldn't a winning percentage of 75% be considered "average" though?

in math, sure a grade of 75 is what, a C?

in college coaching, a winning percentage of 75 percent is not.   Here are some coaches who have or had a winning percentage below 80, which would be a B in math.

Bear Bryant-78%
Joe Paterno-75%
Eddie Robinson-70%
Bobby Bowden-76%

would you consider them average coaches?  You are correct in that the grading scale for college algebra does not work for college football wins.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 25, 2007, 10:25:11 pm
Riiight...so of the 6 years that Carroll has been at USC, 1/2 of his seasons have been average and below average, or in your terms, mediocre.
10 of 12 of Spurrier's years at Florida were average and below average, according to your terms.

Are you addressing this at me?  If so, what the hell are you talking about?

In the last 6 years, Pete Carroll has played for or won the national championship 3 times. 5 of his 6 seasons he's won 85% of his games or more.  That is phenomenal.   

In the last 6 years, Mack Brown has won a national championship.   His worst season during that stretch was  winning 76%.  Also a fantastic record.

Nutt's BEST season the last 6 years was 71%.  During that time, he had 2 losing seasons.

In the last 6 years, finishing #15 in a poll would be a huge disappointment to both Pete Carroll and Mack Brown.

To Houston Nutt and his fans, finishing 15th deserves a lifetime contract.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: Wes Craven on April 25, 2007, 09:40:41 pm

Double standard?

Hey jackass, his 75% winning percentage is over an entire body of work. Houston Nutt in his flagship year went 9-3 which is a 75% winning percentage. His career winning percentage is a mediocre at best and, oh by the way, HDN hasn't won any National Titles last I checked.

Wow, you call me a jackass for making a statement and stating an opinion? Ok, whatever.

And where in my original post did I EVER defend Nutt. Please show me. I am defending the season. A good season at that. There are 2 or 3 threads trying to lower the season we had last year.

HuntinHog421

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 10:32:30 pm

In the last 6 years, Pete Carroll has played for or won the national championship 3 times. 5 of his 6 seasons he's won 85% of his games or more.  That is phenomenal.   

In the last 6 years, Mack Brown has won a national championship.   His worst season during that stretch was  winning 76%.  Also a fantastic record.

Nutt's BEST season the last 6 years was 71%.  During that time, he had 2 losing seasons.

In the last 6 years, finishing #15 in a poll would be a huge disappointment to both Pete Carroll and Mack Brown.

No.
To explain, 1/2 of Carroll's years at USC, his record has 11-3 or under. That's an "average" record, according to Wes Craven over here.
7 of Mack Brown's Texas years, his record was 11-3 or under. "Average"
10 of 12 f spurrier's years at florida, his record was 11-3 or under. "Average"

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 25, 2007, 10:37:51 pm

No.
To explain, 1/2 of Carroll's years at USC, his record has 11-3 or under. That's an "average" record, according to Wes Craven over here.

Okay.  If he's tried to make that point, then he's wrong too. 

I think what he's trying to say is none of the top programs would be touting 10-4 as a great season as the Nutt fans are here.

Texas wouldn't, USC wouldn't.  Georgia fired a coach (Jim Donnan) who had a much better track record than Houston Nutt.  In fact, Donnan's was fired after back to back 8 win seasons in years 3 and 4.  Nutt wasn't fired after back to back LOSING seasons in years 7 and 8.  Georgia replaced Donnan with a coach who's won an SEC championship and has a much better record than him.  In other words, an upgrade.

Nutt has had one 10 win season, 2 9 win seasons, and 2 losing seasons.

Mack Brown's worst season is 9 wins.  He's had 2 10 win seasons, 3 11 win seasons, and up until 2005, Texas fans for the most part wanted him fired too.

Wes Craven

April 25, 2007, 10:53:25 pm #68 Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 11:09:40 pm by Wes Craven
Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 25, 2007, 10:37:51 pm
Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 10:32:30 pm

No.

You are the ultimate in spin.

11-3 is a 79% winning percentage.
10-4 is a 71% winning percentage.

Steve Spurrier in his 12 years at Florida had 2 years with a winning percentage worse than Houston Nutt's best year.

Year           Overall Record    SEC    SEC Finish             Bowl                                          Final Rank
1990 Florida       9-2            6-1                           Bowl Ineligible 
1991 Florida       10-2          7-0           1               Sugar Bowl Notre Dame L 39-28                8
1992 Florida       9-4            6-2           1 - East     Gator Bowl NC State W 27-10                  11
1993 Florida       11-2          7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl West Virginia W 41-7              4
1994 Florida       10-2-1       7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl Florida State L 23-17              7
1995 Florida       12-1          8-0           1 - East      Fiesta Bowl Nebraska L 62-24                   3
1996 Florida       12-1          8-0           1 - East      Sugar Bowl Florida State W 52-20             1
1997 Florida       10-2          6-2           3 - East      Citrus Bowl Penn State W 21-6                 6
1998 Florida       10-2          7-1           2 - East      Orange Bowl † Syracuse W 31-10              6
1999 Florida       9-4            7-1          1 - East       Citrus Bowl Michigan State L 37-34          14
2000 Florida      10-3           7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl † Miami L 37-27                     11
2001 Florida      10-2           6-2           2 - East      Orange Bowl † Maryland W 56-23              3

So in summary, Steve Spurrier is 6-5 in bowl games with 8 of those appearances coming in what are now BCS Bowls. Houston Nutt is 2-5 with ZERO BCS bowl appearances and losses to Minnesota and UNLV. Gah, how does this guy have a job again.

Not once in his 12 years at Florida did Spurrier finish out of th top 15. Houston Nutt has never finished in the top 15 at Arkansas.

Steve Spurrier won the SEC East 8 out of 12 years while Houston Nutt has manages the West only twice in 9 years.

HuntinHog, do you really want to compare these two?

HogMavFan

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 25, 2007, 07:24:58 pm
Do you guys think that he is an average coach?
I think he is a fantastic coach. Way above average. Would love to have him here.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Wes Craven on April 25, 2007, 10:53:25 pm

Steve Spurrier in his 12 years at Florida had 2 years with a winning percentage worse than Houston Nutt's best year.

Year           Overall Record    SEC    SEC Finish             Bowl                                          Final Rank
1990 Florida       9-2            6-1                           Bowl Ineligible 
1991 Florida       10-2          7-0           1               Sugar Bowl Notre Dame L 39-28                8
1992 Florida       9-4            6-2           1 - East     Gator Bowl NC State W 27-10                  11
1993 Florida       11-2          7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl West Virginia W 41-7              4
1994 Florida       10-2-1       7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl Florida State L 23-17              7
1995 Florida       12-1          8-0           1 - East      Fiesta Bowl Nebraska L 62-24                   3
1996 Florida       12-1          8-0           1 - East      Sugar Bowl Florida State W 52-20             1
1997 Florida       10-2          6-2           3 - East      Citrus Bowl Penn State W 21-6                 6
1998 Florida       10-2          7-1           2 - East      Orange Bowl † Syracuse W 31-10              6
1999 Florida       9-4            7-1          1 - East       Citrus Bowl Michigan State L 37-34          14
2000 Florida      10-3           7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl † Miami L 37-27                     11
2001 Florida      10-2           6-2           2 - East      Orange Bowl † Maryland W 56-23              3

So in summary, Steve Spurrier is 6-5 in bowl games with 8 of those appearances coming in what are now BCS Bowls. Houston Nutt is 2-5 with ZERO BCS bowl appearances.

Not once in his 12 years at Florida did Spurrier finish out of th top 15. Houston Nutt has never finished in the top 15 at Arkansas.

Steve Spurrier won the SEC East 8 out of 12 years while Houston Nutt has manages the West only twice in 9 years.

The best part of this......

Nutt's glorious season of 2006 saw the Razorbacks finish 15th in the final poll.

Spurrier never had a Florida team finish that low....NEVER.

That, my friends, ends the discussion.

Wes Craven

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 10:58:56 pm
Quote from: Wes Craven on April 25, 2007, 10:53:25 pm

Year           Overall Record    SEC    SEC Finish             Bowl                                          Final Rank
1990 Florida       9-2            6-1                           Bowl Ineligible 
1991 Florida       10-2          7-0           1               Sugar Bowl Notre Dame L 39-28                8
1992 Florida       9-4            6-2           1 - East     Gator Bowl NC State W 27-10                  11
1993 Florida       11-2          7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl West Virginia W 41-7              4
1994 Florida       10-2-1       7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl Florida State L 23-17              7
1995 Florida       12-1          8-0           1 - East      Fiesta Bowl Nebraska L 62-24                   3
1996 Florida       12-1          8-0           1 - East      Sugar Bowl Florida State W 52-20             1
1997 Florida       10-2          6-2           3 - East      Citrus Bowl Penn State W 21-6                 6
1998 Florida       10-2          7-1           2 - East      Orange Bowl † Syracuse W 31-10              6
1999 Florida       9-4            7-1          1 - East       Citrus Bowl Michigan State L 37-34          14
2000 Florida      10-3           7-1           1 - East      Sugar Bowl † Miami L 37-27                     11
2001 Florida      10-2           6-2           2 - East      Orange Bowl † Maryland W 56-23              3

So in summary, Steve Spurrier is 6-5 in bowl games with 8 of those appearances coming in what are now BCS Bowls. Houston Nutt is 2-5 with ZERO BCS bowl appearances.

The best part of this......

Nutt's glorious season of 2006 saw the Razorbacks finish 15th in the final poll.

Spurrier never had a Florida team finish that low....NEVER.

That, my friends, ends the discussion.

(Taking a Bow)

OWNED!

VenturaHog

Hogwildinhouston, you are quickly becoming my new favorite poster.

Wes Craven

To add more to my utterly crushing post on Spurrier here is a fun fact.

Steve Spurrier is 6-5 in Bowls and has been to 8 bowls which are now BCS games. He has beaten Maryland, Syracuse, Penn St., Florida St., West Virginia and N.C. State in 6 wins. He lost to Miam, Michigan St., Nebraska, Florida St. and Notre Dame.

Houston Nutt is 2-5 in bowl games NONE of which are BCS bowls. He has beaten Texas and Misouri. He lost to Michigan UNLV, Minnesota,  Oklahoma and Wisonsin. UNLV!! UNLV!! How does this guy still have a job?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogfan064 on April 25, 2007, 09:45:19 pm
Seems like you got your feelings hurt.  Sorry you can't hold an intelligent arguement without using profanities.  Have a good night.

And I'm sorry you can't respect another's opinion on a message board without creating an argument that is anything but intelligent.

Very classy.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Wes Craven

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 25, 2007, 11:22:20 pm

And I'm sorry you can't respect another's opinion on a message board without creating an argument that is anything but intelligent.

Very classy.

Though I don't have a dog in the fight with you and hogfan064 I will say that I get sick of people's opinions being passed off as law. If you have facts to back them up then you can bring the hammer. Until then don't come on here with ..."we had a GOOD season". Good compared to what? Back to back losing seasons or what the top 15 programs in the nation do every year.

hogwildinhouston

Very classy.

The only argument that isn't intelligent is yours.  You are spouting opinions that have no basis in fact.

My opinion could be that the earth is flat.

My opinion could be that the south should have won the war.

My opinion could be that Bush is the most popular President ever.

However, that wouldn't make any of those statements even remotely close to being true.

You've debated a point that you have defended with opinion.  We've destroyed every part of it with undebatable fact.

You are right, insults don't win arguments, but opinions based on nothing that is reality don't either.

Wes Craven

Well, it appears that HogwildinHouston and myself have substantially beat down the Huggers in this post trying to compare the ole ball coach and the Nuttsack. I would do the same flow chart on Pete Carroll and Mack Brown, however, the result would be the same. HDN would look like a clown compared to these two.

Kilgor

So Nutt's best season (71%) isn't as good as Steveo's average (75%).

LMAO @ Nutt.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Purple Tiger

April 25, 2007, 11:57:47 pm #79 Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:00:37 am by Purple Tiger
Quote from: Wes Craven on April 25, 2007, 11:21:48 pm
To add more to my utterly crushing post on Spurrier here is a fun fact.

Steve Spurrier is 6-5 in Bowls and has been to 8 bowls which are now BCS games. He has beaten Maryland, Syracuse, Penn St., Florida St., West Virginia and N.C. State in 6 wins. He lost to Miam, Michigan St., Nebraska, Florida St. and Notre Dame.

Houston Nutt is 2-5 in bowl games NONE of which are BCS bowls. He has beaten Texas and Misouri. He lost to Michigan UNLV, Minnesota,  Oklahoma and Wisonsin. UNLV!! UNLV!! How does this guy still have a job?
It's much easier to win at Florida than Arkansas. He turned down better players than Arkansas recruited. Recruiting was easy as he stockpiled talent within 4 hrs of Gainsville. Ark. coaches have to fight for recruits out of state to find players to compete at Div 1 level.You guys are being unrealistic expecting Hogs to  beat Texas and Florida on the field and in recruiting on a regular basis regardless of who coaches the team. How did Ark. do against Texas when Broyles was the coach? What was ya'lls record against SEC teams prior to joining the conference? What Hog coach has played a more difficult schedule yrly. during his tenure than Nutt? Spurrier would not have those titles if he had remained at Duke.

hogwildinhouston

April 26, 2007, 12:09:06 am #80 Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:11:06 am by hogwildinhouston
Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 25, 2007, 11:57:47 pm
It's much easier to win at Florida than Arkansas. He turned down better players than Arkansas recruited. Recruiting was easy as he stockpiled talent within 4 hrs of Gainsville. Ark. coaches have to fight for recruits out of state to find players to compete at Div 1 level.You guys are being unrealistic expecting Hogs to  beat Texas and Florida on the field and in recruiting on a regular basis regardless of who coaches the team. How did Ark. do against Texas when Broyles was the coach? What was ya'lls record against SEC teams prior to joining the conference? What Hog coach has played a more difficult schedule yrly. during his tenure than Nutt? Spurrier would not have those titles if he had remained at Duke.

Good coaches win where ever they are.

Nobody won at Va. Tech prior to Beamer.  He played for a national title.

Florida State was a laughing stock prior to Bowden.  He dominated college football there for a decade.

USC hadn't been a player in college football for 10 or 15 years years prior to Carroll, and since his hire, they've dominated.

Florida prior to Spurrier NEVER won an SEC championship.  With Spurrier, they won 4 and a national title.

Texas had a 20 year gap between being a player and being an also ran.  Great program that supposedly anyone could win at.  McWilliams and Mackovic proved everyone couldn't win at Texas.

Amazing that Gibbs and Blake lost at OU, yet Switzer and Stoops dominated.  Wonder why?  Maybe because they can coach and it's not just the school, tradition, and facilities?

The list goes on and on and on.

It's about the coach stupid.

So many programs were the "Arkansas" of their conference until the right coach was hired.

Purple Tiger

Those coaches won at schools with strong recruiting bases. VT played in a BB conference which Ark woould have dominated. Can Stoops,Brown,and Bowden be as successful at Arkansas? Would Saban have left Miami for the Arkansas job. With pay being equal,would Stoops or Brown come to Arkansa. Why didn't Davis wait for the Ark job rather than jump at the NC job? Schols like Tx and Fla have a big advantage because of talent bases.

hogwildinhouston

April 26, 2007, 01:01:42 am #82 Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:03:45 am by hogwildinhouston
Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 26, 2007, 12:45:49 am
Those coaches won at schools with strong recruiting bases. VT played in a BB conference which Ark woould have dominated. Can Stoops,Brown,and Bowden be as successful at Arkansas? Would Saban have left Miami for the Arkansas job. With pay being equal,would Stoops or Brown come to Arkansa. Why didn't Davis wait for the Ark job rather than jump at the NC job? Schols like Tx and Fla have a big advantage because of talent bases.

Brown won at North Carolina.  He recruited at North Carolina just as he has Texas. No one else did before or since him, well, until Davis.  Davis seemed to recruit well there too.  Is it the coach or the recruiting base?   Wonder what the difference is?  Maybe the coach?

You really think Saban couldn't win at Arkansas?  You know, I bet if Arkansas had offered him $4M a year like Bama did he just might be coaching on the Hill, or anywhere else in America for that matter.  Guess what, he'd probably win there too.

Davis waited for the Arkansas job, lobbied for the job, but decided that it was going to take an act of God to get rid of Nutt.  So, he took a job.  You really believe Davis wanted to be at North Carolina rather than Arkansas?

I'm not saying the Arkansas job is as great at Texas or OU.  What I am saying is that either Mack Brown or Bob Stoops could win at Arkansas.  Why?  Because they have won EVERYWHERE they've coached, and their predecessors failed miserably at those jobs you consider so golden.

What I am saying is that Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, or Butch Davis could win at Arkansas.  They could win at 50 or so schools in Division 1 because they know what they are doing. 

You do realize that Dennis Erickson managed to win at Oregon State don't you?  I thought the successful Miami coaches won because they were at Miami.

VenturaHog

again sir, hats off to your posts

jfb4ever

My memory is confused, haven,t we stomped his behind the last few meetings???????/

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: jfb4ever on April 26, 2007, 01:16:04 am
              My memory is confused, haven,t we stomped his behind the last few meetings???????/

If you are referring to the original topic, Spurrier, yes, you are confused. 

Arkansas is 1-5 against him.

In fact, I don' think I've read a single coach in the 3 pages of this thread that would fall into the "stomped his behind the last few meetings" category.

dhornjr1

Steve Spurrier is one of the top 15 coaches in the country today.

Six SEC titles (1991, 1993-1996, 2000)

3-time SEC Coach of the Year

Became the first person to have both won a Heisman Trophy and to have coached a Heisman Trophy winner

Won at least nine games in each of his 12 seasons at Florida, one of only three coaches in major college history with that record.

Averaged 10 wins per season.

Ranked in the top 15 nationally in each of his 12 seasons at Florida, including nine Top 10 finishes, five Top 5s and an average final ranking of 6.8.

Spurrier's Gators appeared in the weekly polls 202 of a possible 203 weeks, including each of his last 202 consecutive weeks. From 1990-2001, the Gators were ranked number one in the polls 29 times, appeared in the top five for 117 weeks and among the nation's top 10 for 179 weeks.

Appeared in a bowl game in each of his last 11 seasons, one of only five schools with that record.

Spurrier is the only major college coach to win as many as 120 games in his first 12 seasons at one school (122-27-1(.817) at Florida from 1990-2001).

One of only two coaches in major college history to win 10 or more games in six consecutive seasons (1993-98).

jfb4ever

We really don't beat FL, LSU, GA, TN, Auburn, on a regular basis? Who do we beat to have a winning % since Nutt arived????????

AFWarrior83

He's got to be in the top 5 in College along with Saban, Caroll, Meyer and ?(Jo Pa). He wins and can RECRUIT! Some coaches just aren't made for the NFL...
Hogville member since 2005.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 26, 2007, 01:01:42 am
Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 26, 2007, 12:45:49 am

Brown won at North Carolina.  He recruited at North Carolina just as he has Texas. No one else did before or since him, well, until Davis.  Davis seemed to recruit well there too.  Is it the coach or the recruiting base?   Wonder what the difference is?  Maybe the coach?

You really think Saban couldn't win at Arkansas?  You know, I bet if Arkansas had offered him $4M a year like Bama did he just might be coaching on the Hill, or anywhere else in America for that matter.  Guess what, he'd probably win there too.

Davis waited for the Arkansas job, lobbied for the job, but decided that it was going to take an act of God to get rid of Nutt.  So, he took a job.  You really believe Davis wanted to be at North Carolina rather than Arkansas?

I'm not saying the Arkansas job is as great at Texas or OU.  What I am saying is that either Mack Brown or Bob Stoops could win at Arkansas.  Why?  Because they have won EVERYWHERE they've coached, and their predecessors failed miserably at those jobs you consider so golden.

What I am saying is that Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, or Butch Davis could win at Arkansas.  They could win at 50 or so schools in Division 1 because they know what they are doing. 

You do realize that Dennis Erickson managed to win at Oregon State don't you?  I thought the successful Miami coaches won because they were at Miami.

Erickson had a couple of decent years at OSU but no conference championships.He recruited kids who were big time character and academic risks.None of the coaches you mentioned would be as successful at Ark as they were at the schools where they gained their fame.The reason being the ability to recruit. Spurrier ,splitting the state with Clemson,still has a better recruiting base than Ark. He won't come close to the record he had at Fla though because he can't recruit the number of good,academically qualified players at SC thathe did at UF. Saban at Ark is not the same as Saban at Bama.Brown at Texas much better than Brown at Carolina. Brown's teams at NC didn't play the schedlule Ark plays yet he never challenged for ACC crown. Let's see what Davis does at NC. Bet he is nowhere nearly as successful as he was in Miami.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 26, 2007, 07:06:02 am

Erickson had a couple of decent years at OSU but no conference championships.He recruited kids who were big time character and academic risks.None of the coaches you mentioned would be as successful at Ark as they were at the schools where they gained their fame.The reason being the ability to recruit. Spurrier ,splitting the state with Clemson,still has a better recruiting base than Ark. He won't come close to the record he had at Fla though because he can't recruit the number of good,academically qualified players at SC thathe did at UF. Saban at Ark is not the same as Saban at Bama.Brown at Texas much better than Brown at Carolina. Brown's teams at NC didn't play the schedlule Ark plays yet he never challenged for ACC crown. Let's see what Davis does at NC. Bet he is nowhere nearly as successful as he was in Miami.

-Erickson went 11-1 and won the Pac-10 in 2000 at OSU.  Remember the BCS bowl thumping of ND?
-Spurrier signed the #6 recruiting class this year at SC (his second class).  Nothing stopping him from continuing that, in which he'd be on par with where he was at Florida.  Of course, prior to this year everyone said that couldn't be done at SC.  Just took the right coach trying it.
-Brown's teams won 10 games 3 times at UNC, finishing with on 1 ACC loss in 2 of those seasons.  That is challenging for the ACC crown.

Nutt has managed to win or tie for the Division 3 times in 9 years, yet you think Saban, Stoops, or Brown couldn't win at Arkansas.   That is mindboggling.

Purple Tiger

I'm curious as to how many of Spurrier's class ever sees the field or actually enrolls at Carolina. It's who qualifies that makes a class good. Erickson  did not have long term success at OSU. Did Brown take Carolina to a major bowl? Nutt has played for SEC title 3x. It is very hard to constantly contend for conference championships at schools with weak talent bases. Spurrier hasn't won anything at Carolina yet. I bet he doesn't get Cocks in title game this year either. Would Meyer have won a MNC at Utah? Saban had Louisiana's talent base. Stoops has Dallas,and Brown owns Texas. Where does Arkansas have a recruiting base?

cradlehog

Steve Spurrier is a winner - period.  He wins games.  He fills the stadium.  He can recruit.

Big_D

Please , are we actually putting Spurrier and Houston Nutt in the same sentence.

One is a Heisman trophy winner and has actually won national championships.

The other never cut it in college at QB and hasn't won squat.

Compare the Nuttster to this....

Six SEC titles (1991, 1993-1996, 2000)
3-time SEC Coach of the Year
Became the first person to have both won a Heisman Trophy and to have coached a Heisman Trophy winner
Won at least nine games in each of his 12 seasons at Florida, one of only three coaches in major college history with that record.
Averaged 10 wins per season.
Ranked in the top 15 nationally in each of his 12 seasons at Florida, including nine Top 10 finishes, five Top 5s and an average final ranking of 6.8.
Spurrier's Gators appeared in the weekly polls 202 of a possible 203 weeks, including each of his last 202 consecutive weeks. From 1990-2001, the Gators were ranked number one in the polls 29 times, appeared in the top five for 117 weeks and among the nation's top 10 for 179 weeks.
Appeared in a bowl game in each of his last 11 seasons, one of only five schools with that record.
Spurrier is the only major college coach to win as many as 120 games in his first 12 seasons at one school (122-27-1(.817) at Florida from 1990-2001).
One of only two coaches in major college history to win 10 or more games in six consecutive seasons (1993-98

And heres the greatest job he ever did as a coach, He won a ACC championship at Duke, let me say that again Duke.... that right there is the most remarkable feat in his whole career.

1987 - Named head coach at Duke. He goes 20-13-1 in three seasons and leads Duke to the 1989 ACC title. He is named the Atlantic Coast Conference coach of the year in 1988 and 1989.

Big_D

Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 26, 2007, 07:43:20 am
I'm curious as to how many of Spurrier's class ever sees the field or actually enrolls at Carolina. It's who qualifies that makes a class good. Erickson  did not have long term success at OSU. Did Brown take Carolina to a major bowl? Nutt has played for SEC title 3x. It is very hard to constantly contend for conference championships at schools with weak talent bases. Spurrier hasn't won anything at Carolina yet. I bet he doesn't get Cocks in title game this year either. Would Meyer have won a MNC at Utah? Saban had Louisiana's talent base. Stoops has Dallas,and Brown owns Texas. Where does Arkansas have a recruiting base?

Why don't you start a post : list all the excuses why Houston Dale Nutt sucks as a coach....

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 11:33:30 pm

Very classy.

The only argument that isn't intelligent is yours.  You are spouting opinions that have no basis in fact.

However, that wouldn't make any of those statements even remotely close to being true.

You've debated a point that you have defended with opinion.  We've destroyed every part of it with undebatable fact.

You are right, insults don't win arguments, but opinions based on nothing that is reality don't either.

Fact or fiction: Spurrier's first two years at USC have failed to produce a team that finsihed in the final BCS top 25.

Fact or fiction: Legendary football coaches such as Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Bobby Bowden, John Robinson, and Joe Paterno have seen their success lessen as they've gotten older

Fact or fiction: Opinions require facts to be legit. Cause last I checked, an opinion and a fact aren't the same thing.

Fact or fiction: The facts listed above coincide with/support  my opinion that Spurrier's best years are behind him.

You've destroyed my opinion how? He hasn't cracked the top 25. He finished next to last this past year. Recruiting well for a couple of years doesn't always translate into success.

You need to go back and read my opinion instead of bashing without merit. I said he was a great coach. But he's on the downhill slope of his coaching career. Same as Rick Pitino. Same as Tom Izzo. Same as the coaches I listed above. Success is not out of reach. But it's definetly not coming at the level that his legendary status would like it to be.

And until you can show how he's met expectations at USC, I don't see how you can claim to have destroyed anything with fact.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Big_D

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 26, 2007, 08:36:39 am
Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 25, 2007, 11:33:30 pm

Very classy.

Fact or fiction: Spurrier's first two years at USC have failed to produce a team that finsihed in the final BCS top 25.

Fact or fiction: Legendary football coaches such as Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, Bobby Bowden, John Robinson, and Joe Paterno have seen their success lessen as they've gotten older

Fact or fiction: Opinions require facts to be legit. Cause last I checked, an opinion and a fact aren't the same thing.

Fact or fiction: The facts listed above coincide with/support  my opinion that Spurrier's best years are behind him.

You've destroyed my opinion how? He hasn't cracked the top 25. He finished next to last this past year. Recruiting well for a couple of years doesn't always translate into success.

You need to go back and read my opinion instead of bashing without merit. I said he was a great coach. But he's on the downhill slope of his coaching career. Same as Rick Pitino. Same as Tom Izzo. Same as the coaches I listed above. Success is not out of reach. But it's definetly not coming at the level that his legendary status would like it to be.

And until you can show how he's met expectations at USC, I don't see how you can claim to have destroyed anything with fact.

Going by your argument , how long was Frank Broyles on the downslide as a Athletic Director,

What would you think, 15 , maybe 20 years?

HawgAdvocate

April 26, 2007, 08:44:09 am #97 Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:46:22 am by HawgAdvocate
Apples to oranges.

Being a man who sits in his office swinging a half-sized golf club, spending his time making phone calls and raising money at fundraisers by making speeches isn't the same as the grinding it out every day recruiting and coaching 18-23 year old kids. Frank has very good people around him, much like Bobby Bowden does. If you can manage that, it helps alot.

Justin Wilson was an awesome cook up until he died. Age doesn't always hurt certain careers that aren't as demanding.