Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC takes three steps back in diversity

Started by fu-man-soo, April 23, 2007, 04:35:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankycottonrow

Its only an issue any more b/c the news folks need another fire to add too.  12% of the population is African American, and news agencies expect 50% of jobs to be filled by African Americans.  I have always been an advocate of hiring the best man for the job, but the way things are now, the best man may not be hired b/c of affirmative action lawsuits

The Marmot

We had an African-American basketball coach for 22 years. Both were up-and-comers. Granted, Heaths firing backfired in JFBs and the programs face, but ultimately I think it will end up being the right decision... a decision that was not racially biased. This SI guy is just trying to start a fire and get some hits on his article.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

AnthroHog

Well, didn't Arkansas have a non-white basketball coach since 1985?  Heath was stockpiling elite talent, but they didn't play hard for him.  They looked completely lost out there some of the time and the fan base was starting to drift away. 

How many Athletic Directors are not white in the SEC and in the NCAAs period? 

pigslop

Quote from: Frankycottonrow on April 23, 2007, 04:39:50 pm
Its only an issue any more b/c the news folks need another fire to add too.  12% of the population is African American, and news agencies expect 50% of jobs to be filled by African Americans.  I have always been an advocate of hiring the best man for the job, but the way things are now, the best man may not be hired b/c of affirmative action lawsuits
I agree with you 100%
:razorback:

The Hog Blogger

Ugh.  This is absurd. 

I like the chart from other coaches who haven't done jack in the SEC at programs that have no hope to be successful.

Yeah, I LOVE comparing our program to the likes of Ole Miss and South Carolina. 

PowderedToastMan

This article was a complete waste of my time earlier this afternoon.  That writer is really digging deep for a story.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

arkjay19

Stupid article.  I'm tired of people wanting to blame everything on race.

msudawgs64

see how that diversity in football is working for us eh? 

I am so sick of this.  Sure there should be more diversity in coaching but at the same time there also needs to be some talent in that diversity.  The color of one's skin does not make him successful or means he or even she, can coach a lick.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

milehipig

Noticed no mention of the fact that NR was the first black head coach in the SEC.  Once again, no credit to Arkansas.

The Boar War

Forced or heavily encouraged diversity is the very essence of racism.  Give me a coach black, white, pink, or gray.  It doesn't matter to me as long as he's winning.

Wu Tang Clan

April 23, 2007, 05:51:54 pm #12 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:20:04 pm by Wu Tang Clan
Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 23, 2007, 05:03:42 pm

I am so sick of this.  Sure there should be more diversity in coaching but at the same time there also needs to be some talent in that diversity.  The color of one's skin does not make him successful or means he or even she, can coach a lick.
Quote from: fu-man-soo on April 23, 2007, 04:35:16 pm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/sportsline/main10144910.shtml

There is not much racism in college basketball, and the article is inaccurate, and just an extension of the pile on Arkansas campaign which willl get ugly soon.  However, there are some serious issues with racism in college football.  There are only 7 black head coaches at the D1 level and that is embarassing.  The SEC has had only one black coach in its entire existence, and he was a bad hire.  Why does Charlie Strong's name not come up when head coaching positions come up?  College football is moving backwards and anyone who thinks that there is not any racism problems in college football they are in denial or are racist themselves. 

WBChogfan

Is there some code that once you hire a minority you can never hire a white person?

jchill

I think most of the fans do not care about the color of a coach. When heath was fired, folks were calling for Anthony Grant, Mike Anderson, Chris Lowery, and etc., because they are good coaches. Also, at this time, a lot of people are singing the praises of hiring Rob Evans as an assistant coach. Some people even thought about having Cyprien as an interim coach until a new AD arrives, so I really do not think that color is a huge issue. We want to have a winning team.

Lanlord

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 23, 2007, 05:51:54 pm

There is not much racism in college basketball, and the article is inaccurate, and just an extension of the pile on Arkansas campaign which willl get ugly soon.  However, there are some serious issues with racism in college football.  There are only 7 black head coaches at the D1 level and that is embarassing.  The SEC has hand only one black coach in its entire existence, and he was a bad hire.  Why does Charlie Strong's name not come up when head coaching positions come up?  College football is moving backwards and anyone who thinks that there is not any racism problems in college football they are in denial or are racist themselves. 

I'd take Charlie if he can win.

94 Hawg

Felton had not noticed it. Parrish is offended by proxy.
one wonders what the percentage is @ CBSsportsline of minority writers. If he is so darned upset over this maybe he should lead they way by giving up his job for a minority.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

justonefan

Quote from: milehipig on April 23, 2007, 05:35:52 pm
Noticed no mention of the fact that NR was the first black head coach in the SEC.  Once again, no credit to Arkansas.

That was my thought exactly.  Kudos

msudawgs64

There is not much racism in college basketball, and the article is inaccurate, and just an extension of the pile on Arkansas campaign which willl get ugly soon.  However, there are some serious issues with racism in college football.  There are only 7 black head coaches at the D1 level and that is embarassing.  The SEC has had only one black coach in its entire existence, and he was a bad hire.  Why does Charlie Strong's name not come up when head coaching positions come up?  College football is moving backwards and anyone who thinks that there is not any racism problems in college football they are in denial or are racist themselves. 

I agree with you on this, as I said there should be more diversity in all sports in terms of management/head coaches but I don't see the logic in hiring a coach because of the color of his skin if he ain't worth a crap.  You even mentioned it, Croom was a bad hire but he was a hire nonetheless.  A lot of folks will say, hooray to State for bucking the trend and hiring the first black coach in SEC history.  That is all well and good but at his rate we better be the first one to fire the first black head coach in SEC history and that ain't racist, that is a fan who is sick of losing football games, hell we can hire any race or nationality for all I care, as long as the guy can win football games, that is all I care about.  Croom is a good man and I like him but not as a coach.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

moses_007

The SEC certainly hasn't taken a step back as far as player diversity.

RazorsEdge

Where is the outcry for more asian and hispanic head coaches?

baitshop

If you tell your employer that "if you will pay me I will leave".......or.......your employees won't work hard for you and your customers (fans) quit coming to buy your product.........I don't care if you are black, white or purple, you are probably going to lose your job.......

Isn't it possible that the right "fit" for the 3 programs mentioned this time happened to be white......also the same AD's that fired these black coaches were the ones that hired them......

Reverend Al and Jesse Jackson must have had the week off....
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

The HogDog

I agree.  This is ridiculous.  I'm all about equal opportunity but you hire or select the best person for the job whether that person is white, black, Asian, Hispanic or whatever.  I don't care what you look like as long as you get the job done.  The media keeps all of this crap going on. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: AnthroHog on April 23, 2007, 04:48:54 pm
Well, didn't Arkansas have a non-white basketball coach since 1985?  Heath was stockpiling elite talent, but they didn't play hard for him.  They looked completely lost out there some of the time and the fan base was starting to drift away. 

where was heath stockpiling this elite talent? why didn't he let them on the basketball team?

Quote from: ASUhogfan on April 23, 2007, 06:09:45 pm
Is there some code that once you hire a minority you can never hire a white person?
that is a great point. after nolan, we almost had to take another black coach.

why aren't they're more white players? Diversity is a 2 way street. heck, while we are in the diverse mood, lets make the ratio of races of players and coaches exactly like the ratio in american society.

HIRE THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB. WHATEVER COLOR HE IS.

cityhog

Quote from: milehipig on April 23, 2007, 05:35:52 pm

First black coach on the SWC, the SEC AND the first black head coach at a major Southern University.  We have nothing to hang our heads about.

Vandyhog4

I can't believe this guy writes an article about minority coaches in the SEC and only mentions Nolan Richardson to say that he left the program a mess.  Idiotic.  Negligence like that automatically discredits the entire piece.  It's like writing an article about Michael Jordan and only mentioning that he sucked at baseball. 

IronHog

Quote from: RazorsEdge on April 23, 2007, 07:45:45 pm
Where is the outcry for more asian and hispanic head coaches?

Or cheerleaders?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Frankycottonrow on April 23, 2007, 04:39:50 pm
Wow.  There is intelligent life out there.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: heater on April 23, 2007, 04:47:07 pm
We had an African-American basketball coach for 22 years. Both were up-and-comers. Granted, Heaths firing backfired in JFBs and the programs face, but ultimately I think it will end up being the right decision... a decision that was not racially biased. This SI guy is just trying to start a fire and get some hits on his article.

GOOD POST!

AnthroHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 23, 2007, 08:32:20 pm

where was heath stockpiling this elite talent? why didn't he let them on the basketball team?

Sorry, I guess you didn't read the article.  I was paraphrasing what the author was saying "slowly turned it around by stockpiling the type of elite talent that will have Pelphrey coaching a preseason Top 25 team".  In Stan Heath's defense as far as recruiting goes, SEC freshman of the year, the number 1 JUCO of the year, and next year was looking like it was going to be his best recruiting year.

The author didn't have a valid point talking about minority coaches in the SEC.  He was right about Heath getting talent elite enough to be in the top 25 next year and leaving a much better situation than with what Nolan left Heath.

Would you rather have a starting lineup of:
Eric Ferguson, Kendrick Davis, Carl Baker, Dionisio Gomez, and Alonzo Lane or
Gary Ervin, Patrick Beverley, Sonny Weems, Michael Washington, and Steven Hill

Purple Tiger

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 23, 2007, 08:32:20 pm

that is a great point. after nolan, we almost had to take another black coach.

why aren't they're more white players? Diversity is a 2 way street. heck, while we are in the diverse mood, lets make the ratio of races of players and coaches exactly like the ratio in american society.

HIRE THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB. WHATEVER COLOR HE IS.

Agreed!!

southern hawg

I did a little research on CBS Sportlines staff. (yes I was bored) but it shows that they are not exactly practicing what they preach.

COLUMNISTS
Dennis Dodd                White
Greg Doyel                  White
Mike Freeman              Black
Clark Judge                 White
Scott Miller                 White
Gary Parrish                White
Pete Prisco                 White

FANTASY WRITERS
Dan Dobish                 White
Jamey Eisenbert          White
David Gonos               White
Sergio Gonzalez           Not black
Michael Hurcomb         White
Eric Mack                   White
Peter Madden             White
Dave Richard              ?

STAFF WRITERS

Tony Mejia                 Not black
Wes Goldstein             White
Brian Santos               Not black
J. Darin Darst              White
Charlie McCarthy         White

SPIN COLUMNISTS

Clay Travis                 White
Michael Bradley           White

southern hawg

I just emailed Mr. Parrish and asked him to explain why CBS Sportsline has 1 African American columnists out of 22.  I'll let you know what he has to say, if he responds.

cityhog

Quote from: southern hawg on April 23, 2007, 09:25:05 pm
I did a little research on CBS Sportlines staff. (yes I was bored) but it shows that they are not exactly practicing what they preach.

COLUMNISTS
Dennis Dodd                White
Greg Doyel                  White
Mike Freeman              Black
Clark Judge                 White
Scott Miller                 White
Gary Parrish                White
Pete Prisco                 White

FANTASY WRITERS
Dan Dobish                 White
Jamey Eisenbert          White
David Gonos               White
Sergio Gonzalez           Not black
Michael Hurcomb         White
Eric Mack                   White
Peter Madden             White
Dave Richard              ?

STAFF WRITERS

Tony Mejia                 Not black
Wes Goldstein             White
Brian Santos               Not black
J. Darin Darst              White
Charlie McCarthy         White

SPIN COLUMNISTS

Clay Travis                 White
Michael Bradley           White

and there you have it.

BigDeal

Quote from: southern hawg on April 23, 2007, 09:38:06 pm
I just emailed Mr. Parrish and asked him to explain why CBS Sportsline has 1 African American columnists out of 22.  I'll let you know what he has to say, if he responds.

Good point. Please report the response back.

hog.goblin

Quote from: southern hawg on April 23, 2007, 09:38:06 pm

+1 if I could.  Accountability for one's words is such a wonderful thing.

NuttinItUp

jkelly107

claytongray

Mr. Parrish,
I must take exception to your SEC diversity article - specifically the inaccurate and off-base coverage of the Razorbacks.

First off, you wrote that "zero minority candidates were seriously considered for the Ole Miss, Kentucky and Arkansas jobs". Among the final candidates for the Razorback vacancy were Mark Fox, Oliver Purnell, and John Pelphrey. Purnell is a minority.

I will certainly agree that Stan Heath improved the team during his stay, but it was becoming apparent that he was not going to get the program any higher. You mention that college basketball is a "bottom-line business. The bottom line on Heath is that his teams lacked an identity, did not play with passion, and were woefully inconsistent. During his five-year tenure at Arkansas, Heath's team was never ranked in the Top 25. That is unacceptable.

You compare his record to Jeff Lebo and others. Since Lebo has three years at Auburn, let's also take a look at Heath's first three years at Arkansas (zero NCAA Tournaments). If Arkansas was a racist institution, they would have easily been able to let Heath go after those three seasons, yet Heath stayed.

Finally, it amazes me that the Hogs are being attacked for hiring a white coach when the school has had a minority in charge from 1985 to 2007 and even broke the color barrier in SEC basketball. How dare you suggest that Arkansas fans, the Razorback program, and Frank Broyles are racists. You owe them all an apology.

Thank you for your time,
Clayton Gray

moses_007

Not that I am aware of.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 23, 2007, 06:41:23 pm

I agree with you on this, as I said there should be more diversity in all sports in terms of management/head coaches but I don't see the logic in hiring a coach because of the color of his skin if he ain't worth a crap.  You even mentioned it, Croom was a bad hire but he was a hire nonetheless.  A lot of folks will say, hooray to State for bucking the trend and hiring the first black coach in SEC history.  That is all well and good but at his rate we better be the first one to fire the first black head coach in SEC history and that ain't racist, that is a fan who is sick of losing football games, hell we can hire any race or nationality for all I care, as long as the guy can win football games, that is all I care about.  Croom is a good man and I like him but not as a coach.

There is no way there are only 7 black coaches who should have head coaching jobs.  Norm Chow as well has been screwed several times in the hiring process.  There are also too many people who will judge the hiring of the next black coach based on what Sylvester Croom or someone else does which is ridiculous.  Charlie Strong, Ron English, Norm Chow, and many other minority coaches come to mind who should have been given the opportunity to coach at a high level in college football.  In most situations, such as race in basketball, the complaints and speculations are unwarranted and ridiculous.  

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: jkelly107 on April 23, 2007, 10:37:21 pm
Im sick of it. Hire the best person

I agree.  Charlie Strong and Norm Chow should have been hired a long time ago somewhere

AnthroHog

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 23, 2007, 10:44:12 pm
I agree.  Charlie Strong and Norm Chow should have been hired a long time ago somewhere

I would happily take either as a Head Coach here.  They should at least be strong candidates whenever Nutt is removed from Arkansas.

WindyCityHog

What struck me in the article and hasn't been discussed here is that Stan Heath decided to take the "high road" and not comment about it, only saying something along the lines of "makes you raise your eyebrows".....

High Road?  "No comment" means that Heath supports this moron's premise because he doesn't comment....an inference that Heath agrees with his view because he doesn't want to talk about it?

That's crap and irresponsible to make that assumption.

I also found it somewhat strange that the writer made it clear he is from Mississippi.....which means he apparently is more qualified to identify "racism" than any other agenda-pushing writer from north of the Mason-Dixon line....being from the South and all.  That's a slap in the face to anyone from the South.

msudawgs64

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on April 23, 2007, 10:43:09 pm
Quote from: msudawgs64 on April 23, 2007, 06:41:23 pm

There is no way there are only 7 black coaches who should have head coaching jobs.  Norm Chow as well has been screwed several times in the hiring process.  There are also too many people who will judge the hiring of the next black coach based on what Sylvester Croom or someone else does which is ridiculous.  Charlie Strong, Ron English, Norm Chow, and many other minority coaches come to mind who should have been given the opportunity to coach at a high level in college football.  In most situations, such as race in basketball, the complaints and speculations are unwarranted and ridiculous.  

I guess I did not make myself clear.. I agree with you..You are naming names out there and are saying they should have been given the opportunity and I agree to a point but ask yourself this.

If you have a choice between Charlie Strong or Steve Spurrier to be your head coach, who do you pick?   I am not really in the know on how coaches are hired but I know for a regular job you first have to apply for it then interview.  If you do neither of those and expect the job to just be thrown in your lap, then you may starve.

VoR

I believe there were many reasons SH got fired, and if being a minority was 1 of them I believe it was so far down the list that it was inconsequential anyways. The bottom line was SH got fired because he was sending people away from BWA and not bringing them to it. 10 years ago there was a 6 year wait for season tickets, I'm not sure what it was when Nolan got fired, but I do know there was still a waiting list. SH was fired for the style of basketball he plays more then anything, he plays a very boring style, then add to it the fact he could never manage to break the .500 mark in conference play, you can spell your fate in 3 letters SoL.

Say what you will about JFB, I do believe there was only 2 things that was the motivation behind this hire, 1) can they win, 2) how soon can they put butts back in BWA and keep them there.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

bcshog

well 99.9% of nba players are black and i don't see anyone lobbying for more white players to be drafted.  i am sick of this bull sh#$