Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[merged] All posts about Tulsa coverage in Arkansas media go here

Started by Jones4040, April 23, 2007, 07:57:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDeal

Quote from: PulledPork on April 23, 2007, 01:41:24 pm
why do we keep responding to this dillweed?  I swear, him and BigDealDoe just start threads to stir the shiite up and we jump on it each and every time.
There are plenty of threads out there started just to stir up those wanting to maintain dignity in the program by supporting the current coach.   Besides, I don't have a problem with channel 5 broadcasting Tulsa Spring practice because GM is there. News/Weather/Sports should deliver to the audience their interest topics.  Apparently, more people in NWA are interested in Tulsa football than Arkansas baseball. That is not a slam, either.

RazorsEdge

I watch Scarborough Country on MSNBC almost every weeknight.  At about 8:45, they always go into a segment about American Idol and follow that with Hollyweird.  I could care less about American Idol or Hollyweird.  I change the channel.  I guess I could find a Scarborough Country message board and voice my displeasure, but some people evidently care about American Idol and Hollyweird.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BigDealApparently, more people in NWA are interested in Tulsa football than Arkansas baseball.

(This is just for you, WindyCityHog)

Again, for the ______th time now, THERE WAS NO VIDEO AVAILABLE FOR THE GEORGIA-ARKANSAS Sat-Sun games this weekend!

I now ask you this BigDeal (I asked jones this too, but I suppose he has been banned by now) but: what do you expect?  A reenactment of the highlights?

The more you try to tighten your grip, the more fans will slip through your fingers.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Sao Ming

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on April 23, 2007, 03:26:58 pm
Quote from: BigDealApparently, more people in NWA are interested in Tulsa football than Arkansas baseball.

Again, for the ______th time now, THERE WAS NO VIDEO AVAILABLE FOR THE GEORGIA-ARKANSAS Sat-Sun games this weekend!

I now ask you this BigDeal (I asked jones this too, but I suppose he has been banned by now) but: what do you expect?  A reenactment of the highlights?

The more you try to tighten your grip, the more fans will slip through your fingers.

Ohh Lando...guys aren't banned for questioning this topic, are they? 

(lmao)

WESTYHOGS

The NBA playoffs started this weekend the finals are still in June.

go Hogs
SMITTY

roadkinghog

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:06:51 am
There are Hog fans in Tulsa, but I have never in my life met a Tulsa fan living over here.

I know you never met me, but I am a Tulsa Hurricane fan. I live in NWA.

taoteching

Wait a minute.  Mike Irwin covering Tulsa football is in response to his viewers.  Gus Malzahn has a huge following for many reasons.

HogbyBirth

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:26:52 am
Once again I ask.....Do you think it is good to cut time away from the Hog baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?

Ok I'll bite...are you positive they actually CUT the coverage of the baseball game and put coverage of the Tulsa spring game in it's place?  OR did they run the Tulsa coverage and oh say just didn't elect to cover the Hog game?  I for one could care less about spring football in Tulsa.  I do care about Gus but it won't matter until they strap em on this fall.  My guess is we'll get some USC coverage once Mitch and Damien hit the field in two or three years.  Local interest.  Butch Davis?  If Butch had of been here last year and left under the same circumstances you bet your asprin he would be getting some air.  Mike Irwin bleeds Hog Red.  True colors?  For one to even question Mike's true colors is insane.  Mike has a job to do and we have many baseball games left and there's only one spring game if I'm correct.  NBA?  What's that?  Track?  What'd we miss?  Do you know?  Can you report on it?

Nashville Fan

They should have used a court room artist to capture the highlights.
Pittman or Bust!

Bvilleboar

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:38:55 am
Once again I ask...do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?
Dude you have already been called out for being a hypocrite.  If you post about MM, DM, and GM all the time why should you judge others for posting about them?
2012 the year of the HOGS

Bvilleboar

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:47:19 am
1894- i agree, nutt didn't have the luxury of time. Not Nutt or GM fault. they both did what gave them the best chance to win this year not 3 years down the road. GM is no dummy. If #5 is in the backfield you give it to him.

The point about the Hog basbeall coverage is this. They could have shown 2 or 3 more plays of the Hog Baseball game. Regardless of how they split up their coverage they had to take time away from the Hogs to show the Tulsa Spring Game.

Secondly, it was a spring game. a quick comment was suffecient. Did anyone learn anything new about GM and his success or failure at Tulsa by seeing a few highlights of the spring game?
How do you know the time he gave to Tulsa di not come from coverage of womens softball or the weather for that matter.  He cover the baseball team.  Heck Mike devotes more coverage to the Diamond Hogs than anyone.
2012 the year of the HOGS

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: taoteching on April 23, 2007, 03:33:52 pm
Wait a minute.  Mike Irwin covering Tulsa football is in response to his viewers.  Gus Malzahn has a huge following for many reasons.

One of those reasons being Mike Irwin...

BigDeal

I understand what you are saying. But WHY weren't there any videos ? If the interest was there, so would the videos. Why are you arguing with me about this anyway, we agree. Did you just see my name and automatically assume we took the opposite opinion ?

351hog

If you dont want to hear about Tulsa football then turn your channel or dont click on a thread that has something to do with Tulsa.  There are 2 other channels running sports the same time Mike is....if Mike is running a story you dont like then change the channel for a bit and then change it back once Mike gets done talking about Tulsa.  But dont call a man out b/c he is reporting on something alot of people are interested in.  Me, not being one of those people interested in Tulsa though....

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: BigDealI understand what you are saying.

Obviously you don't, because you go on to ask "this" question:

QuoteBut WHY weren't there any videos ?

That question has been answered SEVERAL times in this thread.  Several times by both me AND Mark Lericos.

NORTHWEST ARKANSAS STATIONS COULD NOT GET VIDEO OF THE WEEKEND GAMES.

QuoteIf the interest was there, so would the videos.

Obviously, but the stations that cover Georgia athletics DO NOT care about UGA baseball (or they have better things to do), that means no video for Arkansas.

QuoteWhy are you arguing with me about this anyway, we agree.

No, we don't agree.

But I am not arguing.

You are just plain wrong.

Ask any member of the tv media about this one.

QuoteDid you just see my name and automatically assume we took the opposite opinion ?

Nope.

I called a spade a spade.

And you are a spade.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

lymanhawg

were there any tv stations from Tulsa covering it my dad lives there and said he didn't see it on the news he usually watches KTUL

Realist

Mike shouldn't have been there.  Tulsa doesn't have anything to do with Arkansas sports. 

Tusks

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 07:57:17 am
I never thought i would see film of the Tulsa spring game on an Arkansas TV.

Like GM or not (most of us like him), does anyone really give a flip about Tulsa?

This weekend we had track and Hog baseball, news from the basketball team, the cardinals, the nba finals, etc. and we get highlights of the Tulsa spring game?

The true colors are showing, when you take time away from our bad ass baseball team and give it to Tulsa's spring game.

True Colors shining through.

Are you a Cindy Lauper impersonator?

Try getting out of west fork more....there's a big world out there.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HITCHER

We get KTUL out of Tulsa as an ABC afficilate and get NO STATIONS out of Little Rock up here. GO FIGURE!

JadedHog

I want to see coverage of Tulsa Football.  I think it's relevant becase of all the stuff that happened last year.  I think people want to know how Gus does up there and how his offense looks.  Keep covering Tulsa, Mike.

Dugann

kind of funny how all these noob posters are here posting about this topic ...posters you never seen before and or will see again till a issue comes up how much you guys getting paid anyway? ....all of a sudden posters with 1-100 comes our of the wood works /ponder.  U of A PR/spinners IMO. 
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

dcrback

Let me add my two cents worth...
Before moving back to NWA 3 years ago, I lived in the Tulsa area.  I had to drive over 30 miles away from home just to listen to Hog sports.  The Tulsa World was my friend...it ALWAYS had Razorback sports news.
One more thing, I think Tulsa football is a sleeping giant and will someday soon become a force to be reckoned with.  Anytime you can put over 40k fans in their stadium to watch the local high school football teams play, you
have the fans. :razorback:
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

BigDeal

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on April 23, 2007, 05:41:37 pm
Quote from: BigDealI understand what you are saying.

Obviously you don't, because you go on to ask "this" question:

QuoteBut WHY weren't there any videos ?

That question has been answered SEVERAL times in this thread.  Several times by both me AND Mark Lericos.

NORTHWEST ARKANSAS STATIONS COULD NOT GET VIDEO OF THE WEEKEND GAMES.

QuoteIf the interest was there, so would the videos.

Obviously, but the stations that cover Georgia athletics DO NOT care about UGA baseball (or they have better things to do), that means no video for Arkansas.

QuoteWhy are you arguing with me about this anyway, we agree.

No, we don't agree.

But I am not arguing.

You are just plain wrong.

Ask any member of the tv media about this one.

QuoteDid you just see my name and automatically assume we took the opposite opinion ?

Nope.

I called a spade a spade.

And you are a spade.

All this spade said from the beginning was that if Channel 5 wanted to show Tulsa Football highlights, then "so what?" .. Is that clear enough ?

slopinhogs

need to lay off of Mike. he is one of the most squarest guys around. if he says it about the hogs you can almost always count on it so possibly,just possibly he knew a lot of people in ark are interested in how Gus does at Tulsa. if you can't live with that .move. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Lando Calrissian

April 23, 2007, 07:39:40 pm #174 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:43:36 pm by Lando Calrissian
Quote from: BigDeal
All this spade said from the beginning was that if Channel 5 wanted to show Tulsa Football highlights, then "so what?" .. Is that clear enough ?

No, you said that people in NWA are more interested in Tulsa football than Arkansas baseball...and you based that misinformed statement off of the uninformed-moron-with-an-agenda who originally started this thread.

That's a little bit different than just saying "So what?"

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: The Hitman on April 23, 2007, 08:04:05 pm
I drove up and covered a Tulsa scrimmage for us earlier in the Spring season.  Mike drove up there Saturday.  There were a lot of Arkansas residents that stopped Mike while he was there, so there is interest.  It has nothing to do with the Houston Nutt, Razorbacks, etc.  Much like when we show Cardinals highlights.  That is the way it is, if there is interest we'll try to cover it as much as we possibly can.   Did we rush to put it on the air Saturday Night?  No, we waited until Sunday and today.  When the wasn't as much going on.

Did we take away time from the Razorback Baseball Game?  No.  Georgia Stations are not covering the bulldogs this year.  UGA isn't sending out highlights like some do for football/basketball.  There was no video to edit from.  That's it.  Period.  End of question.  Don't believe me, go back and read from Mark, KHOG didn't have them either.

It seems many people try to stir the pot with conspiracy theories.  The fact of the matter is, we were able to cover it, so we did for the people that want to see it.  That doesn't mean Mike isn't a Hog fan, or that I am not a Hog fan, either.   It's just noteworthy having Malzahn close enough where we can keep a watch on a local boy done good.  It's the same reason we show Jaguars highlights during the NFL season.  If MJ wasn't on the team, very few would want to see them over many other NFL teams. 

That's all folks..

Show more Rangers highlights.

ishankem

where is opine's standard diatribe about nutt being the evil.....blah.....blah.....blah.........blah......blah.  I haven't seen it for the last  24 hours?

homerjsimpson

Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 23, 2007, 08:32:36 am
Some people aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

That would be the 99.9 % of the people who post on this site!

homerjsimpson

Bo reported on Bama's spring game. Actually just the attendance(92,000). What's that got to do with Arkansas sports? About the same as Tulsa's.

I really don't care if Mike Irwin wants to report on the national tiddly wink tournament myself. He's the one that has to answer to the station GM.

BigDeal

Quote from: homerjsimpson on April 23, 2007, 09:23:28 pm

I'm beginning to believe that. A month ago the glass was half full for me, now it is only half empty with lemons. Makes me wonder if the mental disorder of some on here is actually rubbing off.

sozo

April 23, 2007, 10:07:14 pm #180 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:22:11 pm by sozo
Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:06:51 am
There are Hog fans in Tulsa, but I have never in my life met a Tulsa fan living over here.

I Live right across the border in Oklahoma.I CANNOT get any other local station.No matter what kind of satellite or antenna.And I do appreciate them covering some of the sooner state teams,OU,OSU and Tulsa.There is a lot of Okie dollars going to Ft Smith merchants.I Like Tulsa,although I am a die hard sooner fan,and will really like TU now that they have Gus!Unless they light us up next year.I hope we are not his coming out party! LOL  ::)

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BigDeal on April 23, 2007, 09:37:27 pm
Quote from: homerjsimpson on April 23, 2007, 09:23:28 pm

I'm beginning to believe that. A month ago the glass was half full for me, now it is only half empty with lemons. Makes me wonder if the mental disorder of some on here is actually rubbing off.

I agree.  Complaining is complaining.  I am so tired of people complaining about the complaining.  See how it works!!!  It is rubbing off...now I am complaining about the complaining of all the complaining.
Retired Radio Host

jfb4ever

More AR fans and interest at tulsa game, they have to cover it!

Kodiak

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:26:52 am
Once again I ask.....Do you think it is good to cut time away from the Hog baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?

OK what is going on with the Hogs right now besides Track, and Baseball?
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

SPAL

is there a link to this footage...id like to see it. Thanks for bringing to my attention...i know your inteent was to stir the pot...but you actually peaked my intrest in tulsa football...thanks bro for the heads up.

jkelly107

I'm glad there covering Tulsa nice to see a real Football coach

taoteching

April 23, 2007, 10:43:59 pm #186 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:31:09 pm by taoteching
It is now 10:35, Monday night and I just saw another tape about Tulsa on 5NEWS KFSM.  It showed the Tulsa quarterback making a touchdown throw.  It showed the Tulsa coach talking about how much Gus Malzahn had the offense working. He also talked about bringing in several Arkansas players.

So the trend has been set.  We can now expect more and more comparisons between Arkansas and Tulsa football. This is not bad.  Competition is good. This creates more interest in sports.  How about that sports fans?

hogmafia

There is no comparison between Arkansas and Tulsa. Tulsa is a much better, well put together team with morals and leadership. along with a more balanced offense and a coach who wants his team to be a successes

moley_russells_wart_hog

Quote from: taoteching on April 23, 2007, 10:43:59 pm
It is now 10:35, Monday night and I just saw another tape about Tulsa on 5NEWS KFSM.  It showed the Tulsa quarterback making a touchdown throw.  It showed the Tulsa coach talking about how much Gus Malzahn had the offense working. He also talked about bringing in several Arkansas players.

So the trend has been set.  We can now expect more and comparisons between Arkansas and Tulsa football. This is not bad.  Competition is good. This creates more interest in sports.  How about that sports fans?

mmmmm i think its bad for arkansas imho

homerjsimpson

I'm glad that you all in NWA are so worried about kfsm reporting on Tulsa football.

Either it will increase their viewership or it will diminish it. That will determine if they continue to report on it.

Either you're with us or you're against us!

arcowboy

Tulsa television reports on the Hogs.  It used to be known as the Big Four  in football Arkansas , Tulsa, OSU an Oklahoma.   If reporting on Tulsa foot ball on KFSM bothers you , watch channel 40/29.  Some of us like to see more schools reported on.  In the coming seasons Tulsa will become really exciting to watch.  They have turned out a lot of great pro players, Jerry Rhome, Howard Twilley, Steve Largent just to name a few.  Maybe  a little competition in the market will make Arkansas a better team.   Besides we all know according to JFB that Gus  received a promotion by going to Tulsa to be Co Cordinator instead of OC at Arkansas.  So even Frank realizes that Tulsa is a better program right now. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: arcowboy on April 23, 2007, 10:59:16 pm
Tulsa television reports on the Hogs.  It used to be known as the Big Four  in football Arkansas , Tulsa, OSU an Oklahoma.   If reporting on Tulsa foot ball on KFSM bothers you , watch channel 40/29.  Some of us like to see more schools reported on.  In the coming seasons Tulsa will become really exciting to watch.  They have turned out a lot of great pro players, Jerry Rhome, Howard Twilley, Steve Largent just to name a few.  Maybe  a little competition in the market will make Arkansas a better team.   Besides we all know according to JFB that Gus  received a promotion by going to Tulsa to be Co Cordinator instead of OC at Arkansas.  So even Frank realizes that Tulsa is a better program right now. 

Don't forget T. J. Rubely.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porkahontas

If media in Arkanasas starts covering Tulsa, Memphis, Missouri State, and Arkansas State more, maybe it'll give the brass at Arkansas the clue that they're not locked in as the only game in town and running the show any way they want can and will have reprecussions.

I'm making a point to attend a couple ASU games this season and there's no way in hell I'm giving a penny to anything Razorback related until there is a complete overhaul up there. That includes tickets, merchandise, or anything else.

To hell with 'em.

jodygaston

Quote from: Since 1894 on April 23, 2007, 08:08:27 am
I respectfully disagree with your Jones4040.  Your profile doesn't say where you are located from but in NWA, a lot of people want to follow Gus and get updates.  We have seen the HUNH Spread for years and want to see if it can work in college.  Tulsa is less than 2 hours away now and we will always wonder, what if.

If you listened to Mike on Press Row this morning, he gave his opinion of where the Tulsa program is right now and pointed out several shortcomings.  They have a lot of needs right now that they will have to work on (via recruiting) and Mike's opinion was that having the fans call the plays was kind of weird.  I got the impression (as of right now), Mike would be surprised if the HUNH Spread would take a couple of years before it got up and going.

Be Good

John

I agree with this post.  The market will decide.  If there is enough support for this programing in NWA and FSM, it will continue.  If the market isn't there, it won't.  I do think there are a lot of people curious to see how Gus does.

VoR

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:16:43 am
So, I gather that all of you are ok with time being cut away from the Hog Baseball team and givin to the Tulsa spring game.

I mean guys this isn't even note worthy. Every school has a spring game and you can't learn anything by them. Mike could have said " Tulsa and GM had their Spring game today" and that would have told you everything you needed to know. Its not like film from the game is going to tell you anything.

Why can't we just give the time to the Hogs?
I'd be interested in knowing who said they cut time from the baseball team, how do you know they didn't drop the girl's fiasco in softball. If they hadn't shown the Tulsa football scrimage, maybe they would have shown the LG texting compition where HDN lost to some 13 y.o. girl that averages 8000 texts a month.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

VoR

April 24, 2007, 01:29:42 am #195 Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 01:35:26 am by VoR
Quote from: Realist on April 23, 2007, 06:09:16 pm
Mike shouldn't have been there.  Tulsa doesn't have anything to do with Arkansas sports. 
Hmmmmmmmm, I'm sure proud no one told Felix Jones that.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

ArkiePup

Mike gave us what we want in reporting on GM and Tulsa.  There are many GM fans in NWA and we appreciate coverage letting us know how he is doing.  And these same fans do support the Hogs baseball team as well as the football team, just not HDN. Keep up the coverage, Mike.

Teebow62

Gus Malzahn was a big name at one of KFSM's biggest towns. If Nutt goes off to coach West Memphis High School I'm sure they'll do a feature on him there too. People are reeeeaaalll interested in Malzahn, even those that side with Nutt. That only shows that Irwin is doing a good job.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: hogmafia on April 23, 2007, 10:46:11 pm
There is no comparison between Arkansas and Tulsa. Tulsa is a much better, well put together team with morals and leadership. along with a more balanced offense and a coach who wants his team to be a successes

Yep, and that's why on any given Saturday, DMAC would run for about 250 all over them.  TU can't hang, so put down the crack pipe.  It would be about the same score as it was the last time the Hogs played the cane.  45-13
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: homerjsimpson on April 23, 2007, 10:47:58 pm
I'm glad that you all in NWA are so worried about kfsm reporting on Tulsa football.

Either it will increase their viewership or it will diminish it. That will determine if they continue to report on it.

Either you're with us or you're against us!

Channel 5 always reminds me of Waffle House.  Their studio looks like it is stuck in the 1970's
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.