Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[merged] All posts about Tulsa coverage in Arkansas media go here

Started by Jones4040, April 23, 2007, 07:57:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Since 1894

Is MMQB a Razorback Forum or a Mike Irwin Forum??

Lets move this thread

and move on.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

kgr

I agree with Cabothog.  Cry me a river.

As far as the NBA, pro rasslin' is less predictable and looks less like the contests were fixed.

Mark Lericos

Final thought:

Athens is a black hole for tv stations. When I worked in South Carolina the only way to get footage out of there was to go in person.

40/29 had highlights Friday because it was on Cox Sports TV... but Saturday and Sunday there was nothing we could do, short of hiring a stringer from Atlanta to run down there and shoot it for a hundred and 50 bucks. For a long season of baseball, not worth it.

Oh, and we had highlights of the Tulsa scrimmage on Sports Final, including an interview with Malzahn. But it was, like, 1 minute out of 30 on Sports Final.

In the big picture, Tulsa is worth covering, if only to keep our viewers aware of what Malzahn is up to you. People probably would like to know.  FYI.

Mr. Hog

I'm interested in Tulsa now that Gus is there!

Cry me a tear pie.

Fire Nutt
Go Hogs Go!

Since 1894

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 23, 2007, 09:55:21 am

Final thought:

Athens is a black hole for tv stations. When I worked in South Carolina the only way to get footage out of there was to go in person.

40/29 had highlights Friday because it was on Cox Sports TV... but Saturday and Sunday there was nothing we could do, short of hiring a stringer from Atlanta to run down there and shoot it for a hundred and 50 bucks. For a long season of baseball, not worth it.

Oh, and we had highlights of the Tulsa scrimmage on Sports Final, including an interview with Malzahn. But it was, like, 1 minute out of 30 on Sports Final.

In the big picture, Tulsa is worth covering, if only to keep our viewers aware of what Malzahn is up to you. People probably would like to know.  FYI.

I love to hear from "EXPERTS"

Thanks for the post.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

10thPlanet

April 23, 2007, 10:37:26 am #105 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:39:15 am by dkwvike
I watched the TU spot on 40/29 and I appreciate the coverage. I don't like hearing about OU and OSU, but Oklahoma boarders Arkansas so they're Okies viewing who do like it.

hog991

Quote from: swisshog on April 23, 2007, 09:24:18 am
Quote from: STRILE on April 23, 2007, 09:12:26 am
Tulsa will be a better team than Arkansas in 2 or 3 years.

I can almost agree, depends on how fast we get rid of Nutt.  If nutt stays, you sir tell the god
honest truth.
I have a hard time believing that even in our 2 losing seasons that we were not a better team than Tulsa and we will be better in 2 years, even if HDN is still here. IMO

Mark Lericos

Hey I think Troy can win the game.......oh wait..... different thread.   :P

ceegar

Quote from: Mark Lericos on April 23, 2007, 10:46:20 am

Hey I think Troy can win the game.......oh wait..... different thread.   :P
TU doesnt play Troy do they?  If you are thinking Troy will beat UA then you sir need to lay off the hayseed.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

badbeagle

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 07:57:17 am
I never thought i would see film of the Tulsa spring game on an Arkansas TV.

Like GM or not (most of us like him), does anyone really give a flip about Tulsa?

This weekend we had track and Hog baseball, news from the basketball team, the cardinals, the nba finals, etc. and we get highlights of the Tulsa spring game?

The true colors are showing, when you take time away from our bad ass baseball team and give it to Tulsa's spring game.

True Colors shining through.

Even if Big Red is the HC at Tulsa, I will not be the least big interested in hearing anything about spring football in Tulsa.  I recently left NWA, but I spent about ten years in the area and I have never seen anything about Tulsa football covered by the local media before.

johnsonswitch

Quote from: RazorsEdge on April 23, 2007, 08:08:07 amThe NBA finals were this weekend?  I didn't even know that, but I don't like the NBA.  It just always seemed like the finals were in June.

Unbelievably...the NBA finals last 2 WHOLE MONTHS!
They need to shorten the NBA season/post season.
Kind of ridiculous...

pikehog

April 23, 2007, 11:12:12 am #111 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:20:49 am by pikehog
Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:16:43 am
So, I gather that all of you are ok with time being cut away from the Hog Baseball team and givin to the Tulsa spring game.

I mean guys this isn't even note worthy. Every school has a spring game and you can't learn anything by them. Mike could have said " Tulsa and GM had their Spring game today" and that would have told you everything you needed to know. Its not like film from the game is going to tell you anything.

Why can't we just give the time to the Hogs?

I am fine with it. Baseball is a third tier sport these days, and will soon be taken over by soccer. In fact I wish no baseball were ever covered again.

But that's just me.

razorbear

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:19:20 am
OK, then why didn't they cover the North carolina Spring game? Butch Davis is a springdale high alum and his Dad still lives on Springdale CC? Do we cover every sports figure that has ever spent time in NWA?

No one has answered my question. Do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring Game?

I could care less about Tulsa and I would rather have more coverage of the Hog Baseball program.  If you don't catch the score on 96.3 by listening to the game you may not catch the little blurb that night on channel 5 and they for sure wont talk about it the next day.  When Gus and Tulsa do something, then tell me about it, until then cover the Hogs.
Brutha, you got to get real!

Lando Calrissian

For razorbear and jones0404, it is quite obvious you guys can't read:

THERE WAS NO VIDEO AVAILABLE OF THE BASEBALL SERIES.

How many times are we going to have to freaking say it?
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on April 23, 2007, 11:34:01 am
For razorbear and jones0404, it is quite obvious you guys can't read:

THERE WAS NO VIDEO AVAILABLE OF THE BASEBALL SERIES.

How many times are we going to have to freaking say it?

Say it again Lando.

I didn't hear you.

PigPusher

Like it or not but Tulsa is like our sister city.  We depend heavily on each other. Do you know there are hundreds of Tulsa businesses that do business in NWA each and every day. Same goes for NWA businesses and Tulsa.

Now that Coach Malzahn is at Tulsa the tie is even stronger.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

hogfan064

I live in Columbia, SC and I have never once seen coverage of East Carolina University in Greenville, NC on a Columbia station.  Greenville is near Columbia, just like Tulsa is to NWA.  Skip Holtz was OC at USC just like Gus was at Tulsa. 

War Warthog

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 09:19:58 am
I want loyalty to the Hogs first and foremost. That means not skimping on highlights from our great baseball team and giving time to Tulsa

Journalists are not supposed to show loyalty to anything, that is why we are in the mess we are in.

Resignation called, brutha!

Knot2brite

I didnt read all of this thread because I am lazy...but to answer the question...it is never appropriate to take from the Arkansas baseball program...or the track program....these programs seem to win and when faced with controvery they seem to get stuff taken care of immediately.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Anon2

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:43:52 am
So, in a 50 post thread still no one wants to say that it is ok to cut time from the hog baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game.

You don't want to answer the real question, so you tip toe around and come up with anything you can say that makes me look bad, instead of answering the question.

I haven't read the whole thread but you are apparently only reading your own posts because Cabot Hog answered your question.  I just wish I could have seen the coverage on KATV or one of the other LR stations.

Gman

It has been obvious to me that there are some new members to hogville that are just here to cause problems.  Darksiders and Huggers alike.  I enjoy reading debates back and forth by both sides, as well as info on baseball, basketball that is passed along.  What I don't understand is why this tread got to be 4 pages long.  Those of us that have been here for a while should just let these post that are an obvious attempt to Flame, just die out.  Just my opinion, hate that I had to add to this to make my point...

Silver Hog

More Gus, less Nutt would be just about right.

DEVICEHIGH

There are alot of people interested how Gus is doing.

Channel 5 also covers news in eastern Oklahoma.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Little E

Scott E.

Tulsa is closer to Fayetteville than our other "home" field.  8)

pigmania

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:05:57 am
Then why does channel 5 not cover tulsa all the time?
Unlike you, there are many people in the area that are starting to follow Tulsa football, because of Gus, that watch ch. 5. Mike is just giving them some info. for what they are interested in. If you don't like it then watch another station. Believe it or not Mike Irwin's sportscast is not solely intended to make you happy.

pigmania

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:49:53 am
Because 90% of the threads are bashing the program, I am forced to take up for the Hogs.

It's like what the Democrats say, support the country, bash Bush. Are they wrong for saying that? You can still support the program and not support Nutt.

Lost In My Own Head

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:19:20 am
OK, then why didn't they cover the North carolina Spring game? Butch Davis is a springdale high alum and his Dad still lives on Springdale CC? Do we cover every sports figure that has ever spent time in NWA?

No one has answered my question. Do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring Game?
No one in Georgia covers Bulldog baseball.  There were no highlights for any station to use other than Friday night when Cox Sports showed the game live in NWA.  

I know I saw KHOG with Tulsa highlights as well.  Beside, Tulsa does cover the Hogs.  KOTV was at one game at least last season.  Scott something was on the sidelines.

biggiepiggie

There are plenty of Tulsa fans living over here.  And the Tulsa World
always covered, equally, Oklahoma, Tulsa, Oklahoma State and
Arkansas.  They called it the Big Four.

Big_D

April 23, 2007, 12:46:32 pm #129 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:51:34 pm by Big_D
Quote from: hogfan064 on April 23, 2007, 11:42:40 am
I live in Columbia, SC and I have never once seen coverage of East Carolina University in Greenville, NC on a Columbia station.  Greenville is near Columbia, just like Tulsa is to NWA.  Skip Holtz was OC at USC just like Gus was at Tulsa. 

Brother , you need to look at your map, I was born and raised in Greenville and graduated from ECU  and you are way off. You are thinking Greenville ,South Carolina. You missed  by  one  whole state..... They are almost 300 miles apart.

jamie72921

As long as Gus is in Tulsa, it will be a story in both NWA and Fort Smith.

Gus went to highschool at Fort Smith Christian and had great success as a coach in NWA.

It should be covered. No problem with it. Hometown hero.

Get over it.
Bless your heart

pigs rule

Quote from: Porkerpower on April 23, 2007, 08:17:01 am
Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:07:48 am
Do you really think the Hog Baseball team's time should get cut so Tulsa's spring game can get covered?

Ya see, you're trying to dictate what other people do with a sports report.  If it offends you that much, change channels. Never watch that channel again if it makes you feel better.
It's news worthy in NWA because one of their own is there.  Malzahn has a chance to do stuff of legend at Tulsa.  So far in his college career, one year, he's the defending "offensive coordinator of the year", according to Rivals.  He has greatness written all over him, and all of college football can see it.  He's from Springdale for gosh sake.  A local boy doin good.  Be happy for him.

Yea, it's news worthy in NWA.

Maybe it's newsworthy to you...I live in NWA (Farmington), work in OK, and I don't think I know of one person who gives a rip about Tulsa. Not even people who live in OK!
And it is the craziest thing, people give GM all this credit for the offense, but then they say he was 'ran off' by HDN because he didn't get to run his offense.And they say HDN was calling the plays! Hmmm.
Well, I say GHG! GM left, he is no longer of any interest to me.

atlheff

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:26:52 am
Once again I ask.....Do you think it is good to cut time away from the Hog baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?

Define cut time away from the hogs baseball team. Are you saying that they covered TU INSTEAD of the diamond hogs?

PigPusher

Quote from: pigmania on April 23, 2007, 12:30:53 pm
Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:05:57 am
Then why does channel 5 not cover tulsa all the time?
Unlike you, there are many people in the area that are starting to follow Tulsa football, because of Gus, that watch ch. 5. Mike is just giving them some info. for what they are interested in. If you don't like it then watch another station. Believe it or not Mike Irwin's sportscast is not solely intended to make you happy.

Thumbs up!!!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: atlheff
Define cut time away from the hogs baseball team. Are you saying that they covered TU INSTEAD of the diamond hogs?

He wanted a reenactment of the baseball game, I guess.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

PigPusher

Quote from: pigs rule on April 23, 2007, 12:57:15 pm
Quote from: Porkerpower on April 23, 2007, 08:17:01 am
Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:07:48 am
Do you really think the Hog Baseball team's time should get cut so Tulsa's spring game can get covered?

Ya see, you're trying to dictate what other people do with a sports report.  If it offends you that much, change channels. Never watch that channel again if it makes you feel better.
It's news worthy in NWA because one of their own is there.  Malzahn has a chance to do stuff of legend at Tulsa.  So far in his college career, one year, he's the defending "offensive coordinator of the year", according to Rivals.  He has greatness written all over him, and all of college football can see it.  He's from Springdale for gosh sake.  A local boy doin good.  Be happy for him.

Yea, it's news worthy in NWA.

Maybe it's newsworthy to you...I live in NWA (Farmington), work in OK, and I don't think I know of one person who gives a rip about Tulsa. Not even people who live in OK!
And it is the craziest thing, people give GM all this credit for the offense, but then they say he was 'ran off' by HDN because he didn't get to run his offense.And they say HDN was calling the plays! Hmmm.
Well, I say GHG! GM left, he is no longer of any interest to me.

But Coach Malzahn did have a big impact on our offense even if the no huddle was not used.  Surely you can see the difference in last year and the year before.  Had it not been for this difference it would not have been 10 wins. IMHO

GorillaJMonsoon

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:38:55 am
Once again I ask...do you think it is good to take time away from the Hog Baseball team and give it to the Tulsa Spring game?
What about the Razorback football team scheduling Razorfest and the spring scrimmage on the same day as a Razorback home baseball game?  Nutt stole maybe 2000 fans from the baseball game.  C'mon man, you are ridiculous (hence the ridicule)  Just because he talked about the Tulsa spring game doesn't mean that Hog baseball coverage got cut.  Maybe they cut footage of the cancer walk or maybe they didn't show a dog that needs to be adopted from the pound.  Maybe, just maybe, they were able to schedule things so that they could COVER BOTH!!!!!

PulledPork

why do we keep responding to this dillweed?  I swear, him and BigDealDoe just start threads to stir the shiite up and we jump on it each and every time.

Pulled out....

wholehog92

Quote from: RazorsEdge on April 23, 2007, 08:31:03 am
Jones4040, you have 61 posts on this board.  Most of your posts are about Mitch, Damian and Gus.  You have one post about the Razorback baseball team.  Why are you devoting your time to something negative when you could be posting about the Razorback baseball team.  It looks to me like the coverage is about right for you.

See that heap of smoke?  That's your credibility after an epidemic smite Jones.  ENGAGE.....
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

XDJ

I hate to interupt a good debate, but I missed the news this weekend.  Anyone have any YouTube link of any of the video from the Tulsa scrimmage?  I'd love to see it. (and I live in Fort Smith, by the way)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:06:51 am
There are Hog fans in Tulsa, but I have never in my life met a Tulsa fan living over here.

Hello, let me introduce myself.........I am also a Tulsa fan and was before this whole thing started. I moved here from that area and while I supported the Hogs, I also rooted for Tulsa. Good program, good school, just not SEC or Big 12 caliber. If you think they don't cover Hog Sports over there, you must have been living in a box for most of your life. Incorrecto my friend. And it makes sense that they would since one of the biggest Razorback Fan Clubs outside the state of Arkansas, happens to be in Tulsa.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

LJHOG

Here's a simple solution for those that object to Tulsa coverage.  Get together and buy the station.  Then show what you want.  Hell fire Irwin if you want.  But I suspect once you own the thing you'll want it to make money.  If there is a viewership for it, the station will show it.

HawgWyld

Like GM or not (most of us like him), does anyone really give a flip about Tulsa?

This weekend we had track and Hog baseball, news from the basketball team, the cardinals, the nba finals, etc. and we get highlights of the Tulsa spring game?

The true colors are showing, when you take time away from our bad ass baseball team and give it to Tulsa's spring game.

I hope everyone remembers to bring this thread up when someone is accusing those mean ol' "Darksiders" of going out of their way to find something to gripe about. It occurs to me that some folks in northwest Arkansas might want to see how their local boy is doing over at Tulsa. Hell, it wouldn't stun me if we saw a few updates on Matt Jones' progress in the NFL or how a couple of Springdale High grads are doing over at USC.

Give the Gus bashing a rest already.

HawgWyld

Quote from: PulledPork on April 23, 2007, 01:41:24 pm
why do we keep responding to this dillweed?  I swear, him and BigDealDoe just start threads to stir the shiite up and we jump on it each and every time.

Pulled out....
Good point...

Dugann

I know everyone has right to thought but this thread is just laughable.  Yes alot do care, and Mike is IMO one of one few reporters that tells it like it is.  The intrest alone in Gus IMO merits it on the news!  IMO those that don't like Gus topics, threads, or new then turn off your Tv, radio, etc when it is on or u see a thread.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

porkNjeans

$$$ Work at home. Post on Hogville. Get paid by the post. Contact savehoustonsass.com and sign up today. $$$

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: PigPusher on April 23, 2007, 11:38:22 am
Like it or not but Tulsa is like our sister city.  We depend heavily on each other. Do you know there are hundreds of Tulsa businesses that do business in NWA each and every day. Same goes for NWA businesses and Tulsa.

Now that Coach Malzahn is at Tulsa the tie is even stronger.

Is that the best you've got?  So, before, we didn't run Tulsa news, but now that the Demigod Malzahn has gone there as a co-coordinator, we will run it on air.  $$$$ between NWA and Tulsa has nothing to do with it.

Everyone here knows why Channel 5 ran it. 

MCPeePants

Quote from: Jones4040 on April 23, 2007, 08:06:51 am
There are Hog fans in Tulsa, but I have never in my life met a Tulsa fan living over here.

I am, since I got my undergrad degree and spent the funnest 4 years of my life at that school.

But even if I hadn't gone there, I'd still be interested in the TU coverage since I'm very interested in seeing Malzahn's complete offense on display and succeeding at the college level.

Sao Ming

I feel so compelled to ask, as I, a Dallas'ite not being inside the viewing area...how is coverage of Heath and his new gig/recruiting being covered on air?

retired-rambler

I have lived in NWA since 1956 but I have always followed Tulsa's athletics.  We make numerous shopping trips to Tulsa during the course of the year.  I have been a Razorback fan since the 40's and always will be but appreciate channel 5 covering the spring football game if only because of GM.  I lived in Fayetteville until 2002 and still consider that as my home town.