Who would you rather have as OC?

Started by Newport Hog, April 22, 2007, 10:05:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you rather have as OC?

David Lee
Gus Malzhan
Houston Nutt

jdhoover

This infatuation with Gus has to end soon.  I mean, he wasn't real OC last year was he?.  According to most on this board, HDN was calling the play's and we were running HDN's offense to a 10-4, 7-2 season.  We will see what he does this year, even though he is only co-OC at Tulsa.
Don't mistake my support of the Razorbacks and their coaches with the acceptance of mediocrity.

Boar in the USA

Quote from: Newport Hog on April 22, 2007, 10:05:37 pm
Give me Gus anyday of the week. Im not sold on Lee if he was that good why wasnt any other NFL teams interested in him.
Just how many NFL teams were interested in Gus? Guess what: good OCs don't take jobs at Tulsa. Unproven OCs take jobs at Tulsa. For you to express a definite preference for a guy whose biggest accomplishment is tearing up high school defenses with the Gatorade Player of the Year at QB and a great set of receivers, is ridiculous. Gus has not done anything yet, and probably won't do much at Tulsa.

slopinhogs

who has David Lee called plays for before? he didn't do it here and he didn't do it in Dallas. where did he get his qualificatios as a O C? i'll have to wait and see what he can do. i know he will bow to nutt though.
:razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Wes Craven

Quote from: USAF Hog on April 23, 2007, 09:55:22 am
Quote from: taoteching on April 23, 2007, 09:45:34 am
These are the facts:

Orville Henry was furious with the hiring of Houston Nutt.

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's had loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

David Lee had a terrible record at UTEP.  David Lee went 1-11 and 1-11 the last two years he was there.  It is my understanding he was fired in the middle of the 1993 season.

Gus Malzahn has a been a winner at every school he has been a head coach.  He is a great offensive coach.

I reserve comment on Gus. He coached a high school team to the state championships. Guess what? A head coach does that every year, in all 50 states. In the past 3 years 150 people have done that.

Actually there are many more than 150 coaches that have won it. What you failed to mention is the other high school coaches who coached for 14 years and went to 7 State Title games. NEXT

351hog

I dont agree with all the Gus love on this site but I still would take him calling the plays for my hogs over the other two.  Would like to see all 3 on the staff.  Nutt as head coach, Gus as OC, and Lee working with the Qb's.

Newport Hog

Gus is the man, years from now he gonna regret that we let him go.  With David Lee you know what your get average at best.

abraHAM_lincoln

Lest we forget that feeling of optimism when Gus was brought on board.  An optimism that nutt had totally exhausted..(That same lack of Hope that festers now).

Not to mention how the Crowd exploded with cheers when Mustain and Gus actually ran the Nu-Huddle.  Even the TV announcers were going wild saying we were seeing the future and it was going to be exciting.

paraloma

April 23, 2007, 06:09:05 pm #58 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:10:51 pm by paraloma
Quote from: Boar in the USA on April 23, 2007, 05:34:53 pm
Quote from: Newport Hog on April 22, 2007, 10:05:37 pm
Give me Gus anyday of the week. Im not sold on Lee if he was that good why wasnt any other NFL teams interested in him.
Just how many NFL teams were interested in Gus? Guess what: good OCs don't take jobs at Tulsa. Unproven OCs take jobs at Tulsa. For you to express a definite preference for a guy whose biggest accomplishment is tearing up high school defenses with the Gatorade Player of the Year at QB and a great set of receivers, is ridiculous. Gus has not done anything yet, and probably won't do much at Tulsa.

Retreads take jobs at Arkansas?

Quote from: slopinhogs on April 23, 2007, 05:45:53 pm
who has David Lee called plays for before? he didn't do it here and he didn't do it in Dallas. where did he get his qualificatios as a O C? i'll have to wait and see what he can do. i know he will bow to nutt though.

Rice...over 7 years ago.
Dallas Washington for Heisman

rcowen

razorvision

Quote from: slopinhogs on April 23, 2007, 05:45:53 pm

Who did Gus call plays for before coming to Arkansas?  A high school team... He was given an opportunity to be the O.C. at Arkansas without having any college experience.  I'm sure Gus is greatful for the opportunity he had because it gave him some recognition which he deserved.  However, to say David Lee is not qualified is silly...  The guy has been coaching on the college level as well as the NFL for years.  He's obviously made an impression on the Razorback players because they have good things to say about him and so did Bill Parcells.  Lee certainly helped Romo deveop over the course of last year.  Let's give the guy an opportunity like Gus was given and see what happens.
Visit www.rsgcommunications.ws and save big on digital services for your home or office.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 02:13:11 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on April 23, 2007, 02:05:46 pm
These are the facts:

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

David Lee had a terrible record at UTEP.  David Lee went 1-11 and 1-11 the last two years he was there.  It is my understanding he was fired in the middle of the 1993 season.

Gus Malzahn has a been a winner at every school he has been a head coach.  He is a great offensive coach.
I think that you omitted the fact that "every school Malzahn he has been a head coach" was in HIGH SCHOOL.  And he walked into a situation last year that anyone could have had a winning season at the U of A with DMac, Felix, and our OLine.  I am not saying that he is a bad coach or anything, but I am not sold on his coaching abilities yet in college b/c he hasn't done anything in college yet.

Umm last time i checked that same O-line, Dmac, and Felix were all Razorbacks the season before Gus became the OC, and what was the hogs record then?
The difference being a whole year playing as a cohesive units under thier belts....

or are we to assume that Malzahn get's credit for the o-line now too?

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 03:11:05 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on April 23, 2007, 03:06:43 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 02:13:11 pm
Quote from: GBPackerFan on April 23, 2007, 02:05:46 pm
These are the facts:

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

I think that you omitted the fact that "every school Malzahn he has been a head coach" was in HIGH SCHOOL.  And he walked into a situation last year that anyone could have had a winning season at the U of A with DMac, Felix, and our OLine.  I am not saying that he is a bad coach or anything, but I am not sold on his coaching abilities yet in college b/c he hasn't done anything in college yet.

Umm last time i checked that same O-line, Dmac, and Felix were all Razorbacks the season before Gus became the OC, and what was the hogs record then?
Umm...last time I checked...having played in prior seasons, especially RBs and OLinemen, really helps as the years progress.  Don't you probably use the statement, for when someone points out Mustains mediocre-at-best stats, that he was only a freshman? 

Yeah typically it is safe to assume you "get better" the more years you play, but honestly Dmac was just as good his freshman year as he was his soph. year. Oline i dunno or Felix but Dmac most assuredly.  The point is the same 4-6 to 10-4 with basically the same team, notable exceptions being Mitch, other freshman and Gus.  I am not saying they are sole responsible either not hardly, but it does beg the question.

There was also a vast improvement on the defensive side of the ball.

Oh wait a "source" is telling me that Gus was secretly coaching up the defense after hours.

gasshog

Gus wins BIG TIME on the creativity factor.

RhodeHog

It's a very simple answer for me.  Nutt's first 10 win season came the same year Gus Malzahn was here.  I don't know how much input Gus had, but he did have some. 

The facts speak for themselves.  It wasn't coincidence that his first 10 win season came when Gus was "offensive coordinator," IMO.

JONAS

It does not matter who the OC is. As long as Nutt Sack is the head coach, he will be calling the plays.

hogifino

You people wear me out.  I really believe that a number of people played into the success or the lack of it depending on the way you lean.  X and O's can be argued all day long without anyone winning.  I haven't seen many coaches duking it out on the sidelines.  Players win and coaches should be responsible for losing.  If GM succeeded at anything at this point, it was playing a roll unwillingly as a divider.  He did the right thing by leaving.  Personally, he interests me but I am not willing to sacrifice the whole program for him.  We are most successful when we are up against the odds, together.  I don't believe we can be successful divided over who was calling the plays.  It will trickle down, may have already.

USAF Hog

Quote from: Wes Craven on April 23, 2007, 05:46:54 pm
Quote from: USAF Hog on April 23, 2007, 09:55:22 am
These are the facts:

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's had loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

I reserve comment on Gus. He coached a high school team to the state championships. Guess what? A head coach does that every year, in all 50 states. In the past 3 years 150 people have done that.

Actually there are many more than 150 coaches that have won it. What you failed to mention is the other high school coaches who coached for 14 years and went to 7 State Title games. NEXT

OK, Next is:
Gus coached Arkansas HS football for 14 years, from 92-05.
He took Hughes Ark to the "AA" championshipship game in 94. They lost to Pine Bluff Dollarway.
He took Shiloh Christian to the "AA" championships in 98 and 99.
He took Springdale to the "AAAAA" championship game in 02. They lost to FS Southside.
They won the "AAAAA" at Springdale in 05.

I didn't know we were adding A, AA, AAA, AAAA games to the AAAAA roster. In that case, let me adjust my numbers.

"In the past 3 years 750 high school coaches have taken their teams to win the state championships" Gus was 1 of them.

Oh, he went to 5 state title games, not 7, and he won the AAAAA crown once.

Good job Gus. You are a great High School football coach. I hope you do well at Tulsa.

If Gus won 10 games for the Hogs, then Nutt didn't interfere.

If Nutt interfered, then Nutt won 10 games for the Hogs.

Which is it? I'm confused.

taoteching

Quote from: Newport Hog on April 22, 2007, 10:44:09 pm
David Lee wasnt an Off Cooridnator he was QB coach at Dallas and at UA so he is the unproven one really at calling plays.

David Lee was not QB coach.  He viewed video. Period.  Nothing more.

abraHAM_lincoln

DOes it matter who the OC is???  Remember when we had two??  Markuson Running Game Coordinator and Wittke the Passing game coordinator?  Nutt still called the same 6 plays over and over in a predictable format.

So it doesn't matter if Norm Chow is the OC...we still have the "nutt factor"...which doesn't bode well for the hawgs.

hoggystyle78

Gus Malzahn will one day, in the not too distant future be a D1 headcoach, unfortunately it will probably not be for Arkansas. Gus is the real deal and anybody who can't see that is blind.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on April 24, 2007, 08:49:25 am
Gus Malzahn will one day, in the not too distant future be a D1 headcoach, unfortunately it will probably not be for Arkansas. Gus is the real deal and anybody who can't see that is blind.

Let me put your mind at ease.

It won't be at Arkansas. Now we can move on, doesn't that feel better?

Silver Hog

WilsonHog

I would rather have Gus Malzahn.

Alas, Gus is not here.