Started by arkyvol, April 21, 2007, 12:21:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkyvol

Bama-Western Carolina,Houston,UL Monroe
Arkansas-Troy,North Texas,Chattanooga,Fla.Intl,
Auburn-New Mex. State,Tenn. Tech
Florida-Western Kentucky,Troy,Fla. Atlantic
Georgia-Western Carolina, Troy
Kentucky-Eastern Kentucky,Kent State,Fla. Intl.
LSU-MTSU,Louisiana Tech,Tulane
Miss. State-Gardner Webb,Tulane
Ole Miss-La. Tech, Northwestern State
South Carolina-UL Lafayette,S.C. State
Tennessee-Arkansas State,UL Lafayette
Vandy-Richmond,Eastern Michigan,Miami Ohio

Arkansas's schedule wins in a landslide.

Poker_hog

Vandy, Miss state and Kentucky dont have give mes.  The year vandy beat us I think they lost to middle tenn.  Miss State loss to Tulane last year.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PigWig

I would rather play 4 easy teams then get romped on opening day again.

stchane

Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 12:37:23 pm

I know the TCU deal fell through this year, but whatever.  In order to compete with the big boys, you have to play the big boys.  We've done a decent job of doing that the last four years with Texas and USC.  We need to keep it up; play some good Big Ten or Big 12 teams too.  Thats the only way we are ever going to get any respect nationally.  We started getting it last year by beating Auburn, but thats a conference game.  We haven't had a big Non-Conference win since 2003.  Its time to elevate the program, play the big boys, and change the mindset of Arkansas football
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

PigWig

Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 04:36:04 pm

I know the TCU deal fell through this year, but whatever.  In order to compete with the big boys, you have to play the big boys.  We've done a decent job of doing that the last four years with Texas and USC.  We need to keep it up; play some good Big Ten or Big 12 teams too.  Thats the only way we are ever going to get any respect nationally.  We started getting it last year by beating Auburn, but thats a conference game.  We haven't had a big Non-Conference win since 2003.  Its time to elevate the program, play the big boys, and change the mindset of Arkansas football
So Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama aren't big boys?  Sorry but playing in the SEC in enough.  Adding other games like USC is assanine. Texas works because its a long time rivalry and no matter how good either of the teams are it will be a fairly even game because its Texas-Arkansas and the players come with their "A" Game.

stchane

Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 04:42:48 pm
So Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Alabama aren't big boys?  Sorry but playing in the SEC in enough.  Adding other games like USC is assanine. Texas works because its a long time rivalry and no matter how good either of the teams are it will be a fairly even game because its Texas-Arkansas and the players come with their "A" Game.

So we didn't bring our "A" game against USC? Or we can't bring our "A" game against anyone but Texas??  Which one is it?  We should bring our "A" game no matter who we play.  We shouldn't be playing up to or down to anyone, but we do.  I thought it was good that we were playing USC because that would give us a gauge on how far we have to go.  But come to find out, we aren't committed to winning anyway, so what's the point?  When the new people (AD, Head Coach) come in next year, we had damn well better recommit to winning.  We should play at the very least One big-boy Non-Conference team.  NON-CONFERENCE being the key word and/or words there. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

PigWig

Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 04:46:38 pm
Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 04:42:48 pm

So we didn't bring our "A" game against USC? Or we can't bring our "A" game against anyone but Texas??  Which one is it?  We should bring our "A" game no matter who we play.  We shouldn't be playing up to or down to anyone, but we do.  I thought it was good that we were playing USC because that would give us a gauge on how far we have to go.  But come to find out, we aren't committed to winning anyway, so what's the point?  When the new people (AD, Head Coach) come in next year, we had damn well better recommit to winning.  We should play at the very least One big-boy Non-Conference team.  NON-CONFERENCE being the key word and/or words there. 
When we scheduled USC they were having 6-6/ 7-5 seasons in a weak conference. It was not about developing as a team but getting a mediocre team on the schedule that would get the players a trip to Califorinia.  Pete Carroll turned that team around fast though and the rest is history.

Look at a similar team to AR. Auburn or LSU do not schedule a top five team for opening day. Its not smart or necessary.  If you play in the SEC your strength of schedule will be in the top 20 regardless of who your nonconference games are against.

arkyvol

hogsrule44

Does Florida not play Florida State this year or did you just miss it?

PigWig

Quote from: hogsrule44 on April 21, 2007, 04:57:35 pm
And when was the last time FSU was a top 5 team? A decade ago.

stchane

Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 04:59:27 pm
And when was the last time FSU was a top 5 team? A decade ago.

The last time I checked, Florida State was still in the ACC.  The last time I checked, the ACC is still a major conference.  We need at least 1 major non-conference opponent every year.  I like this quote:

Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 04:55:01 pm
When we scheduled USC they were having 6-6/ 7-5 seasons in a weak conference. It was not about developing as a team but getting a mediocre team on the schedule that would get the players a trip to Califorinia.  

"Getting a mediocre team on the schedule?"  How are we suppose to get our players the experience of playing in big games if we don't play big games out of our conference?  I would agree that we don't have to schedule a top 5 team every year.  But the 12th game is supposed to be there for playing meaningful non-conference games.  We should take advantage of that by playing AT LEAST ONE major conference team every year.  Thats not too much to ask for. 

gomersnerd

it is if you are trying to win 10 games/
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

stchane

Quote from: gomersnerd on April 21, 2007, 05:08:25 pm

We won 10 games last year and played USC.  But is that the goal? Only to win 10 games??  I wanta ring dammit.  Notta division winner ring either.  A conference and NC ring.  Playing a major non-conference opponent isn't going to matter in winning 10 games.  Playing harder competition is going to make us better.  You can't win a conference or NC by beating cupcakes.  You hafta win big games against good teams.   

PigWig

Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 05:22:40 pm

Is that the goal? Only to win 10 games??  I wanta ring dammit.  Notta division winner ring either.  A conference and NC ring.  Playing a major non-conference opponent isn't going to matter in winning 10 games.  We won 10 games last year and played USC. 
I agree with the fact that we should play another major conference opponent, I just think it should be a Nebraska, Missouri, UCLA, type team.

In college football one game can keep you out of the BCS or a Championship and I think it is a poor move to schedule a top 5 opponent OOC. Someone ranked 15-25 would be a much better matchup for us.

woodhog14

and Tennessee plays at CAL.

PigWig

Quote from: woodhog14 on April 21, 2007, 05:27:14 pm
Its not every year and they were scheduled before Cal was ranked as well.

woodhog14

Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 05:27:54 pm
Its not every year and they were scheduled before Cal was ranked as well.

the point is what is on the schedule for 2007...so it doesn't matter if they are not scheduled every year...and this contract was signed in 2003 when Cal was in the top 10.

mword

We beat those teams, MSU and Ole Miss, we'll make one of those bowl games that no one pays attention to.

Dwight_K_Shrute

It would have been better to list all non-conference games for each team and let the reader decide which one's are gimme's and and which are for real.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

stchane

Quote from: schweine on April 21, 2007, 05:42:35 pm
We beat those teams, MSU and Ole Miss, we'll make one of those bowl games that no one pays attention to.

And thats the problem in a nutshell

gangstaback

we brought in malzahns spread offense against USC. Thats what happened.

stchane

Quote from: gangstaback on April 21, 2007, 05:59:46 pm

Uh...Why don't you take a look at what Malzahn's offense did to USC, and then get back to me....http://youtube.com/watch?v=PPyWudGUxc8

As I recall,  Felix Jones fumbled 3 times, and RoJo threw a pick, in addition to MM throwing a pick.  So that's 5 turnovers.  If you want to blame the INT's on Malzahn's offense, fine...be my guest.  However, Felix fumbling 3 times is not the fault of anyone but HDN.  Why?  For not allowing him to take any live contact during fall camp. 

Also keep in mind that the king of the delta blues was playing quarterback for us.  He did have a decent game for him, but thats not saying a whole lot is it?  If they were going to play MM anyway, he shoulda just started.

FL_Hog_Fan

Beating a big non-conference team really helps in recruiting nationally.  How else can we get 3-star players from other states to come here. 

Seriously though.  I agree about 10 wins not being the goal.  A good non-conference game has nothing to do with wining or losing the SEC and everything to do with a NC run.  If we can't beat USC on opening day, we won't win one. 

This is a part of that inferiority complex thing though. 

I hate watching the money games as I call them.
What were we arguing about anyway?

NCGatorBait

UF's cupcakes will come in handy with the reloading job they'll be doing this yr.

Purple Tiger

LSU plays Virginia Tech in 07.

gangstaback

the problem i have with malzahn's spread offense is that we lost... 50-14.... and one of our touchdowns was against their 3rd string defense.... its not like we lost someone who cant be replaced.

Hogtide

Quote from: arkyvol on April 21, 2007, 12:21:02 pm
Bama-Western Carolina,Houston,UL Monroe
Arkansas-Troy,North Texas,Chattanooga,Fla.Intl,
Auburn-New Mex. State,Tenn. Tech
Florida-Western Kentucky,Troy,Fla. Atlantic
Georgia-Western Carolina, Troy
Kentucky-Eastern Kentucky,Kent State,Fla. Intl.
LSU-MTSU,Louisiana Tech,Tulane
Miss. State-Gardner Webb,Tulane
Ole Miss-La. Tech, Northwestern State
South Carolina-UL Lafayette,S.C. State
Tennessee-Arkansas State,UL Lafayette
Vandy-Richmond,Eastern Michigan,Miami Ohio

Arkansas's schedule wins in a landslide.

Bama also plays Florida St.

CSNuts

Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 05:22:40 pm

We won 10 games last year and played USC.  But is that the goal? Only to win 10 games??  I wanta ring dammit.  Notta division winner ring either.  A conference and NC ring.  Playing a major non-conference opponent isn't going to matter in winning 10 games.  Playing harder competition is going to make us better.  You can't win a conference or NC by beating cupcakes.  You hafta win big games against good teams.   

Since when do fans get rings?  So who did Florida play last year in the regular season out of conference that was a ranked opponent?  Can you find it, http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=57?  Man, I wish you guys would get off the "cupcake" schedule and concentrate on supporting the team when they play this season especially while they are trying to navigate one of the toughest conferences in the country.  Who the heck needs USC or Texas when we have Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, LSU and not to mention Kentucky was coming on strong at the end of last season...

RebelliousHog

The whole point of the thread was "gimmies" (not give mes), or games that were sure victories. He did not list the games that would be real games, ala, Fla v. Fla St. Just sayin', not arguing.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Hog in MO

let's think about that logic for a second.  How many of the top 10 teams from other conferences  play a schedule as tough as most SEC schools play every season?  There's no need for us to schedule a USC or Texas every year when we already have Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama.  The only years that we need to add a team like this from out of conference are years like last year when we aren't playing Florida or Georgia from the East - but even then you don't really need to because you still have LSU, Auburn and Alabama.

You don't see other SEC schools stepping out of conference on a regular basis to play those type of games.  Maybe we need to recognize that the SEC carries enough clout on its own.  If you beat LSU, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn then you get respect.  I still love playing Texas, but that's just a selfish fan obsession.  The team doesn't need that game.  What they need is a break against a weaker opponent so they can rest and get healthy in the middle of the season - or they need a couple of warm up games at the beginning of the year so they can get themselves ready for the "big boys" that we already play in conference. 

Le Hogtre

These cupcake games may also help to develop players for next year.

hawgette

I thought we were supposed to play TCU this year, but with Texas coming back on schedule next year,  the TCU home and home has been pushed back.    Is this correct? 

demonHOG1013

Troy has a hell of non-conf. schedule. Arkansas, Georgia, and Florida!!

stchane

Quote from: Hog in MO on April 29, 2007, 09:18:56 am

let's think about that logic for a second.  How many of the top 10 teams from other conferences  play a schedule as tough as most SEC schools play every season?  There's no need for us to schedule a USC or Texas every year when we already have Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama.  The only years that we need to add a team like this from out of conference are years like last year when we aren't playing Florida or Georgia from the East - but even then you don't really need to because you still have LSU, Auburn and Alabama.

You don't see other SEC schools stepping out of conference on a regular basis to play those type of games.  Maybe we need to recognize that the SEC carries enough clout on its own.  If you beat LSU, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn then you get respect.  I still love playing Texas, but that's just a selfish fan obsession.  The team doesn't need that game.  What they need is a break against a weaker opponent so they can rest and get healthy in the middle of the season - or they need a couple of warm up games at the beginning of the year so they can get themselves ready for the "big boys" that we already play in conference. 

Read more, Post less.  This was already discussed.  The conclusion was that we need to play one Non-Conference game per year against a team from another major conference.

PIGINAPOKE

[/quote  You get romped because your team is not prepaired.

All teams are the same on day 1.............The reason the Hogs got beat by 80+ in two years was coaching. Day one is day one for all the teams.

Next excuse................
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Teebow62

This is not a complete list. I believe Bama plays Florida State this year and I think Tennessee plays someone big too.

hogsanity

So does that mean LSu cant play with the big boys either.  Look at their non-conf schedule

You might as well get ready for mpre pf this from all the big schools.  The 12th game is just an invite to play another rent a win for big home game revenues. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

stchane

Quote from: hogsanity on April 29, 2007, 09:52:48 pm

So does that mean LSu cant play with the big boys either.  Look at their non-conf schedule

You might as well get ready for mpre pf this from all the big schools.  The 12th game is just an invite to play another rent a win for big home game revenues. 

Didn't they play Arizona State a few years ago out there??  Oh yeah, thats right.  They did, and won.  Oh yeah, they're also playing Virginia Tech in 2007.  Do your research and quit making excuses

jjones

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on April 29, 2007, 09:47:45 am
Troy has a hell of non-conf. schedule. Arkansas, Georgia, and Florida!!

welcome to the SEC troy!  you can join the west and we'll just quit traveling to starkville

hogsanity

Quote from: stchane on April 29, 2007, 09:58:18 pm

Didn't they play Arizona State a few years ago out there??  Oh yeah, thats right.  They did, and won.  Oh yeah, they're also playing Virginia Tech in 2007.  Do your research and quit making excuses

Well, we are not talking about past years.  I mean, we played TX in 2003 at Austin and won, so what. 

This year is an not the recent norm for the Hogs.  Our last 4 ooc schedules have included texas home and home and usc home and home.  This years schedule change came about by picking up Texas in 2008 and 2009.  Just how many tough ooc games do you think we should play? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ttownhog

Quote from: stchane on April 29, 2007, 08:24:17 pm
Quote from: Hog in MO on April 29, 2007, 09:18:56 am

Read more, Post less.  This was already discussed.  The conclusion was that we need to play one Non-Conference game per year against a team from another major conference.
1. Who's conclusion is that? I have read this board for a long time and I don't know if i have ever seen a conclusion to anything.
2. What does that even mean? So if we were playing Baylor instead of Troy you would be happy? Read more post less, at the end of the day you will look smarter.

stchane

April 30, 2007, 12:35:51 am #41 Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 12:39:42 am by stchane
Quote from: ttownhog on April 29, 2007, 11:06:56 pm
1. Who's conclusion is that? I have read this board for a long time and I don't know if i have ever seen a conclusion to anything.
2. What does that even mean? So if we were playing Baylor instead of Troy you would be happy? Read more post less, at the end of the day you will look smarter.
Quote from: hogsanity on April 29, 2007, 10:03:16 pm
Well, we are not talking about past years.  I mean, we played TX in 2003 at Austin and won, so what. 

This year is an not the recent norm for the Hogs.  Our last 4 ooc schedules have included texas home and home and usc home and home.  This years schedule change came about by picking up Texas in 2008 and 2009.  Just how many tough ooc games do you think we should play? 

That was the conclusion earlier in this thread.  At least Baylor is in a Major Conference.  I know Troy is a tough team, and a good team.  However, we should play at least one team from a major conference every year, especially since we now have 4, and not 3 non-conference games. 

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: schweine on April 21, 2007, 05:42:35 pm

No, we don't make a bowl game with a 2-6 conference record.  There would be too many teams more desirable to take.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

HuntinHog421

Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 06:08:41 pm
Quote from: gangstaback on April 21, 2007, 05:59:46 pm

Uh...Why don't you take a look at what Malzahn's offense did to USC, and then get back to me....http://youtube.com/watch?v=PPyWudGUxc8

As I recall,  Felix Jones fumbled 3 times, and RoJo threw a pick, in addition to MM throwing a pick.  So that's 5 turnovers.  If you want to blame the INT's on Malzahn's offense, fine...be my guest.  However, Felix fumbling 3 times is not the fault of anyone but HDN.  Why?  For not allowing him to take any live contact during fall camp. 

Also keep in mind that the king of the delta blues was playing quarterback for us.  He did have a decent game for him, but thats not saying a whole lot is it?  If they were going to play MM anyway, he shoulda just started.
That was USC's second-string defense.
Oh. My. God. Did you seriously blame Nutt for Felix's fumbles. If felix fumbles the fall, it's felix's fault, and no one else's. If Mitch or Rojo throws a pick, it's Mitch and Rojo's problem. If Sonny Weems misses a shot, nobody goes, "Well, that damn Stan Heath! It's all his fault!"
The coaches do everything but play the game.
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

slopinhogs

paddy cake ,paddy cake bakers man. we could look for a little tougher preseason but then we would never get to a bowl game. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hogsanity

9 out of 12 SEC schools play a non-div1 school.  And Tenn plays A state which is about as close to non-div1 as you can get. 

prairiehogcompanion

Puhlease! Why play an 8-game schedule with four muffin scrimmages piled in and pretend to aspire to anything?

This schedule "elevates" an otherwise .500 season against the only teams that matter to an 8-4 year. Pathetic.

And then add insult to injury by arrogantly refusing to play Arkansas State on grounds that....well, you know.

Ridiculous!

hogsanity

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on April 30, 2007, 10:28:38 am

Puhlease! Why play an 8-game schedule with four muffin scrimmages piled in and pretend to aspire to anything?

This schedule "elevates" an otherwise .500 season against the only teams that matter to an 8-4 year. Pathetic.

And then add insult to injury by arrogantly refusing to play Arkansas State on grounds that....well, you know.

Ridiculous!

Look back at our last 4 ooc schedules, and look ahead after 2007.  2007 is the exception, and was caused by picking up Texas in 2008-09

Purple Tiger

LSU plays Virginia Tech this year. Tigers play La Tech but Ark is afraid to play ASU.

hogsanity

Quote from: Purple Tiger on April 30, 2007, 10:30:11 am

LSU plays Virginia Tech this year. Tigers play La Tech but Ark is afraid to play ASU.

Didnt the legslature in LA have to force LSu to play the other instate schools?