Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You Cannot Win In College Football With...

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, April 16, 2007, 11:01:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kgr

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 16, 2007, 11:01:45 pm
just ONE star player.

Yes, it can be done it basketball (Danny Manning, Carmello Anthony, etc.) but not in football.

I'm sick of hearing about DMAC and the U of A using him as their selling point.  I want to contend for championships, not individual awards.

But we don't need more players, we have the SEC coach of the year and a Western Division Shampionship.

Richard_white

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:07:01 pm
Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:03:20 pm
We arent USC.. 

You know how USC got to be the USC of today?

They fired their sucka** coach and got a real football coach.

USC was not very good before Carroll.

No. It's because of those sandy beaches that brings in those recruits.  Wait...how did Nebraska get theirs for many of years?  Oh yes...those beautiful corn crops...

PulledPork

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:21:53 pm

Maybe he realized Bua's ONLY chance in the NFL was to play safety.     Do you really think this kid could have played LB in the NFL.   I know its a stretch... (especially to you haters)  . .  but maybe HDN actually liked Bua and was trying to get him the best oppurtunity.

BTW..  I love playing Devil's advocate against you guys...   its too easy..  :) :)
oh thats funny!  Hooty with the players best interest at heart.....ughhhh.  Someone want to bring up MJ on that one?  We all know he had a future at QB in the NFL.....now if those dummies would change to the radar option instead of throwing so much!

Pulled out...

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: PulledPork on April 17, 2007, 12:02:10 pm

Maybe he realized Bua's ONLY chance in the NFL was to play safety.     Do you really think this kid could have played LB in the NFL.   I know its a stretch... (especially to you haters)  . .  but maybe HDN actually liked Bua and was trying to get him the best oppurtunity.

BTW..  I love playing Devil's advocate against you guys...   its too easy..  :) :)
oh thats funny!  Hooty with the players best interest at heart.....ughhhh.  Someone want to bring up MJ on that one?  We all know he had a future at QB in the NFL.....now if those dummies would change to the radar option instead of throwing so much!

Pulled out...

excellent point....MJ wanted to play receiver his senior year, and asked coach nutt. He basically said that we're not going to be that great this year regardless. Why not let me improve my draft stock at what is obviously my future position, and in the meantime Robert Johnson can get some game experience and be developed.

I thought it was a great idea at the time. Looking back I'm not sure it made much difference, Matt made out like a bandit in the draft. (possibly better than if he had played WR) Although he might be a better pass-catcher/route runner now. As far as developing ROJO, I have my doubts. On the one hand I can't think of one QB Hnutt has ever developed. On the other, what better way to break a qb in than to line him up with a 6'6 possesion receiver in Monk on one side, and a 6'6 deep threat receiver (jones) on the other? That sure would have softened the old learning curve.

Hnutt decided it was better to keep MJ at QB...(I don't know why for sure but, I would guess it was partly because getting the ball in his hands every down gave us the best chance to pick up an extra couple of hollow victory's, and partly because he knew moving Matt to WR and bringing in the ill fated rojo would make him unpopular).

As far as him and players best interests in mind, two words come to mind Brandon Holmes. What a waste of talent.

Houston will ride players till they break, then he throws them in the gutter and goes to finds another.

I have long believed that who Houston plays has alot to do with the way he feels that the players are perceived by the fans/media. This is what shocked me about his treatment of MM.

RazorsEdge

Let's not forget Jason Peters.  Was he the worlds largest TE or a Tackle out of position?

pigmania

I hope DMac does win the heisman, that will probably be the only big plus this season.

RazorsEdge

I think all Hog fans hope Dmac wins the Heisman.

Coondog Hog

just ONE star player.

Yes, it can be done it basketball (Danny Manning, Carmello Anthony, etc.) but not in football.

I'm sick of hearing about DMAC and the U of A using him as their selling point.  I want to contend for championships, not individual awards.

OH!!!
I see how this is going to play out now.  The text messages and phone records could not take Nutt out so we will go back to our original tactics.   Very smart work.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

bkofkells

Do y'all think that difference in population between California (c.40 million) and Arkansas (c.2.5 million), being in the #2 Media market in the U.S. and having almost perfect weather, a tradition of excellence dating back to the early 20's and the ability to compete for any stud player in the country has any thing to do with USC being USC and Arkansas struggling to compete in toughest or next to toughest football conference?

I think it does. Nevertheless, Arkansas has a team loaded with studs for 2007. There is a helluva lot more firepower than just DMac. What we lack is depth, a stud QB, better receivers and better defensive backs. Do you think if we swapped QBs and WRs with the Trojans that HDN might look a bit smarter? Arkansas can do better than it has done but it unrealistic to think we will have better teams than Florida and LSU year in and year out.

IcEwalker

Quote from: oldtimerhog on April 16, 2007, 11:09:05 pm
We could have had three legit. stars this year with McFadden, Mustain & Williams.  Nutty couldn't handle it.  Now he must pay with his job.  

Mustain and Williams.... HA! funny, what did they show on the field to prove they could be stars? good players, possibly, but stars?

HognotinMemphis

just ONE star player.

I don't care if we have Reggie Bush in the backfield, if Dick is the QB, Lee is the OC, Nutt is the HC and they've lost 3 or 4 starting OL, it's going to be a .500 year in conference at best next fall. Not to mention that the defense is going to be a shell of what it was last year given the losses on the line and in the secondary. The offense will have to average 35 a game just to go .500 in conference.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

abraHAM_lincoln

Quote from: RazorsEdge on April 18, 2007, 12:27:27 am
Let's not forget Jason Peters.  Was he the worlds largest TE or a Tackle out of position?

and remember the quote of his position coach at Buffalo...saying something like the guy appears like he hasn't had any coaching since High School..... 

BartIV

Thats right, you do need a cast of players to win big and Arkansas only has about 3 on offense and most of the defense.  Are defense is incredible, but in college football, it is hard to win with just defense if you ain't got a all-star offense (QB most important) and our special teams is a joke.

Jones4040

Dmac, Felix, Hillis, Monk all qualify as stars on any team.

HogsSon46

Quote from: BennyBlancofromtheRock on April 17, 2007, 06:09:04 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on April 17, 2007, 12:02:10 pm

Maybe he realized Bua's ONLY chance in the NFL was to play safety.     Do you really think this kid could have played LB in the NFL.   I know its a stretch... (especially to you haters)  . .  but maybe HDN actually liked Bua and was trying to get him the best oppurtunity.

BTW..  I love playing Devil's advocate against you guys...   its too easy..  :) :)

Pulled out...

excellent point....MJ wanted to play receiver his senior year, and asked coach nutt. He basically said that we're not going to be that great this year regardless. Why not let me improve my draft stock at what is obviously my future position, and in the meantime Robert Johnson can get some game experience and be developed.

I thought it was a great idea at the time. Looking back I'm not sure it made much difference, Matt made out like a bandit in the draft. (possibly better than if he had played WR) Although he might be a better pass-catcher/route runner now. As far as developing ROJO, I have my doubts. On the one hand I can't think of one QB Hnutt has ever developed. On the other, what better way to break a qb in than to line him up with a 6'6 possesion receiver in Monk on one side, and a 6'6 deep threat receiver (jones) on the other? That sure would have softened the old learning curve.

Hnutt decided it was better to keep MJ at QB...(I don't know why for sure but, I would guess it was partly because getting the ball in his hands every down gave us the best chance to pick up an extra couple of hollow victory's, and partly because he knew moving Matt to WR and bringing in the ill fated rojo would make him unpopular).

As far as him and players best interests in mind, two words come to mind Brandon Holmes. What a waste of talent.

Houston will ride players till they break, then he throws them in the gutter and goes to finds another.

I have long believed that who Houston plays has alot to do with the way he feels that the players are perceived by the fans/media. This is what shocked me about his treatment of MM.
I agree 100% and the best thing is that I kinda liked how he did MM.

ilovepinebluff

#1. Carmelo Anthony was NOT the only star on that Syracuse team. Im pretty sure Gerry McNamara and Hakeem Warrick(probably didnt spell it correctly) were on the team too. Sorry, that just kinda bugged me.

#2. Mustain and Williams didnt show me anywhere on the field that they were going to be stars.

#3. Monk will be all-SEC next year, so will Felix Jones, and at least one of our OL's. I dont know what you would consider a "star", but im pretty sure all-SEC is close.

Robby H

Well the idea that you can't win with one star I would usually agree with, but the fly in the proverbial ointment is Vince Young at Texas a few years ago. He pulled a Matt Jones and single handedly won that NC for Mack Brown. As far as The Nutt's recruiting goes, when was the last time that any parade all-american or 5 star from OUT OF STATE came to the UofA. If you get the great in state kids then that's what you are supposed to do (trying not to bring up Ziemba and Burns here) and getting out of state talent is what you need to do. So he gets THE QUARTERBACK and then runs him off. By the way what happened with the whole Geary Brashers thing two, if you care to go back that far? Just some thoughts...
"Have you for so long eaten of the scraps from [Frank's] table that you've missed your God-Given right to something more!?!"   

-William Wallace, Scottish Rebel and Hogfan

RazorRaider

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 18, 2007, 07:18:55 pm

#1. Carmelo Anthony was NOT the only star on that Syracuse team. Im pretty sure Gerry McNamara and Hakeem Warrick(probably didnt spell it correctly) were on the team too. Sorry, that just kinda bugged me.

#2. Mustain and Williams didnt show me anywhere on the field that they were going to be stars.

#3. Monk will be all-SEC next year, so will Felix Jones, and at least one of our OL's. I dont know what you would consider a "star", but im pretty sure all-SEC is close.

If we have an effective passing attack I will agree with you about Monk.

But since we have Nutt at the helm you can more than likely forget having an effective passing attack.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

Robby H

Quote from: bkofkells on April 18, 2007, 06:42:32 am
Do y'all think that difference in population between California (c.40 million) and Arkansas (c.2.5 million), being in the #2 Media market in the U.S. and having almost perfect weather, a tradition of excellence dating back to the early 20's and the ability to compete for any stud player in the country has any thing to do with USC being USC and Arkansas struggling to compete in toughest or next to toughest football conference?

I think it does. Nevertheless, Arkansas has a team loaded with studs for 2007. There is a helluva lot more firepower than just DMac. What we lack is depth, a stud QB, better receivers and better defensive backs. Do you think if we swapped QBs and WRs with the Trojans that HDN might look a bit smarter? Arkansas can do better than it has done but it unrealistic to think we will have better teams than Florida and LSU year in and year out.

And I guess that is where you and I must part company, I don't think we should settle for anything less than contending with Florida year in and year out. As this is The Nutt's tenth year, wouldn't it be nice to have 1 conference championship in ten years!! Maybe if we did HALF of what Florida did we would have what 2 every ten years. I expect more I guess.
"Have you for so long eaten of the scraps from [Frank's] table that you've missed your God-Given right to something more!?!"   

-William Wallace, Scottish Rebel and Hogfan

RazorRaider

Quote from: Robby Hampton on April 18, 2007, 07:26:19 pm
Quote from: bkofkells on April 18, 2007, 06:42:32 am

And I guess that is where you and I must part company, I don't think we should settle for anything less than contending with Florida year in and year out. As this is The Nutt's tenth year, wouldn't it be nice to have 1 conference championship in ten years!! Maybe if we did HALF of what Florida did we would have what 2 every ten years. I expect more I guess.

What you are fighting is called brainwashing.

The fanbase has had it beaten into their heads for years that because we are Arkansas we are only supposed to expect averaging 7-8 wins per season with an appearence in an SECCG once every 5-7 years.

No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 18, 2007, 07:20:47 pm

But since we have Nutt at the helm you can more than likely forget having an effective passing attack.

I could be wrong about this...but I do have a question:

Wasn't DW an All SEC freshman last year?

Wasn't MM 7-0 as a starter?
Retired Radio Host

RazorRaider

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 18, 2007, 07:29:28 pm

Yes UU that is correct.

I am not sure where you are going with this could you please explain?

Are you saying you think the Nuttster can put together an effective passing attack?
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 18, 2007, 07:31:16 pm

Yes UU that is correct.

Are you saying you think the Nuttster can put together an effective passing attack?

oops.  I was responding to the post that you were responding to.  They guy from the bluff that said that DW and MM didn't show him anything.  That is all.
Retired Radio Host

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 18, 2007, 07:32:44 pm

Yes UU that is correct.

oops.  I was responding to the post that you were responding to.  They guy from the bluff that said that DW and MM didn't show him anything.  That is all.

I could see Williams being a star, but Mustain just didnt have the numbers. He could be 24-0, and still not be a star.

RazorRaider

Yes UU that is correct.

No prblem there UU. :)

I kind of thought that was what it was. But I wanted to be sure.:)
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

moley_russells_wart_hog

just ONE star player.

that no "I" in team just comes back to haunt you

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on April 18, 2007, 07:35:22 pm

Yes UU that is correct.

I could see Williams being a star, but Mustain just didnt have the numbers. He could be 24-0, and still not be a star.

Didn't have the numbers in HdN's offense?  Ok.

Put up great numbers when only two...and sometimes only one receiver were running routes?  Ok.

Retired Radio Host

razorback45

Guys,  the past is the past.  Lets see how we do this year.  HDN is the coach and until he looses he will continue to be the coach.  As for this being a one man show, that is as far off the radar as it can be.

D-Mac
Felix the Cat
Payton Hillis
Marcus Monk
Ben Cleveland
London Crawford
(Along with best Line in SEC)

M Grant
A Robinson
F Bledsoe
Hewitt
Crowell
and others that will be All SEC this year

others that will be big this year
R Johnson
M Smith
R Fish (not at punt returner though)

and several of the new recruits this year I thing will impress.

We are very much in contension this year and will be again next year.
!!!!!!!!!!Love Those Hogs !!!!!!!!!!

hoghearted

Quote from: HogsSon46 on April 18, 2007, 07:11:25 pm

Just to clarify, you liked the fact that Nutt benched Mustain, basically forever, without a chance to redeem himself, even when Dick was struggling? You liked the fact that Nutt pretty much was incommunicado with his 5 star recruit? That he appeared to 'freeze him out' and did nothing to stop a close family friend from harassing his player? You like that?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

RazorRaider

Quote from: razorback45 on April 18, 2007, 07:39:36 pm
Guys,  the past is the past.  Lets see how we do this year.  HDN is the coach and until he looses he will continue to be the coach.  As for this being a one man show, that is as far off the radar as it can be.

D-Mac
Felix the Cat
Payton Hillis
Marcus Monk
Ben Cleveland
London Crawford
(Along with best Line in SEC)

M Grant
A Robinson
F Bledsoe
Hewitt
Crowell
and others that will be All SEC this year

others that will be big this year
R Johnson
M Smith
R Fish (not at punt returner though)

and several of the new recruits this year I thing will impress.

We are very much in contension this year and will be again next year.

Let me guess after the season when we have went 7-5 you will be hollering.

"Guys the past is the past let's see how he does next season...."

I have heard this line every year for god knows how long.

We need to fire the moron and be done with it.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Hogs-n-Roses

Read the title if the tread, what Pulled is saying is that we have a couple of stars on this team and its hard to win in this league without the supporting cast he had last year. We must get much improved at QB. Casey is immobile and can't throw the screen pass. We are not proven on the O line and thin on the D line thanks to the draft, injury and graduation.Same with the secondary. The recruiting has been poor in these areas as we took so many receivers last year as well as other skilled pos. Do you realize that one solid lick on Casey, his back goes out and we'll be running the ball 90% of the time with 8-9 men in the box. This year has a lot in common with 2004 or 5 MJ's last year.

HogsSon46

Quote from: hoghearted on April 18, 2007, 07:40:23 pm
Quote from: HogsSon46 on April 18, 2007, 07:11:25 pm

Just to clarify, you liked the fact that Nutt benched Mustain, basically forever, without a chance to redeem himself, even when Dick was struggling? You liked the fact that Nutt pretty much was incommunicado with his 5 star recruit? That he appeared to 'freeze him out' and did nothing to stop a close family friend from harassing his player? You like that?
Yes, I have no love for MM. He struggled in more games than CD did. Maybe cause he played more but like ive said before I was never impressed with the kid. Never saw the "Great Mitch Mustain" that everyone else wet their pants over.

Mr. Slabby

just ONE star player.

I disagree.  You can win in football without a bunch of stars.  What you have to have is chemistry and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.  Now if you are referring to National Championships only, then you may be right.  But winning? No!

Razorback88

just ONE star player.

Well, we did it last year.  Not that it's a good plan of attack, but it's possible.

JadedHog

you can't win with a one dimensional coach like the nutter either