Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You Cannot Win In College Football With...

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, April 16, 2007, 11:01:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

just ONE star player.

Yes, it can be done it basketball (Danny Manning, Carmello Anthony, etc.) but not in football.

I'm sick of hearing about DMAC and the U of A using him as their selling point.  I want to contend for championships, not individual awards.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jcam61

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 16, 2007, 11:01:45 pm
just ONE star player.

Yes, it can be done it basketball (Danny Manning, Carmello Anthony, etc.) but not in football.

I'm sick of hearing about DMAC and the U of A using him as their selling point.  I want to contend for championships, not individual awards.

sure woulda been nice to have a QB with a TON of potential to go with him.

Sure woulda been nice to have somebody that could recruit some D-backs. (yes i know about Houston, other than CH we don't have a defensive backfield)

RazorRaider

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:03:20 pm
We arent USC.. 

How do you think USC or any top notch program got to be where they are?

They worked for it.

It has been proven that Nutt soen't try to recruit. He looks for players who say they will come if we offer . That is not recruiting that is simply offering a scholarship. Recruiting is when you you beaet out other schools that a recruit has interest in.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

jcam61

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:03:45 pm

just ONE star player.

Sure woulda been nice to have somebody that could recruit some D-backs. (yes i know about Houston, other than CH we don't have a defensive backfield)

I remember some nice d-backs under houston..   houston, bua, hamlin...  I know there are others..anyone?

Hollywood_HOGan45

We arent USC.. 

You know how USC got to be the USC of today?

They fired their sucka** coach and got a real football coach.

USC was not very good before Carroll.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:05:58 pm

just ONE star player.

I remember some nice d-backs under houston..   houston, bua, hamlin...  I know there are others..anyone?

Quick question.

How many of those players you listed play for the hogs as of right now.

Just how many years ago did Bua and Hamlin play for us?

jcam61

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 16, 2007, 11:05:27 pm
We arent USC.. 

They worked for it.

It has been proven that Nutt soen't try to recruit. He looks for players who say they will come if we offer . That is not recruiting that is simply offering a scholarship. Recruiting is when you you beaet out other schools that a recruit has interest in.

Yeah..   That SoCal location KILLS them too.   I'd hate to go play there with the nice weather and all.

oldtimerhog

We could have had three legit. stars this year with McFadden, Mustain & Williams.  Nutty couldn't handle it.  Now he must pay with his job.  
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

RazorRaider

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:08:21 pm
We arent USC.. 

They worked for it.

Yeah..   That SoCal location KILLS them too.   I'd hate to go play there with the nice weather and all.

Like I said you have to RECRUIT.

Recruiting is like throwing a sales pitch.

Before PeteCaroll got there USC wasn't that great. They had fallen from grace in the football ranks. And correct me if I am wrong but during that time they were still in the same location that they are in now.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We arent USC.. 

They worked for it.

Yeah..   That SoCal location KILLS them too.   I'd hate to go play there with the nice weather and all.

good gawsh people!

How many times do we have to shoot down the location factor?

Lincoln, NE
Blacksburg, VA
Auburn, AL
Norman, OK

The location factor has always been stupid

RazorsEdge

Bua was at his best at LB for the Hogs.  The move to safety didn't work out as well in my opinion.  He was always trying to play LB from his safety spot.

jcam61

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:08:09 pm

just ONE star player.

I remember some nice d-backs under houston..   houston, bua, hamlin...  I know there are others..anyone?

Quick question.

You made it sound like Houston doesnt recruit good players...  I disagree...   you can argue with me about that point if you really want to...   haha

redbarn

I'm suing Houston Nutt for impersonating a head football coach.  No true head football coach would do the things he has done and I deserve compensation. 
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:11:30 pm

just ONE star player.

I remember some nice d-backs under houston..   houston, bua, hamlin...  I know there are others..anyone?

Quick question.

You made it sound like Houston doesnt recruit good players...  I disagree...   you can argue with me about that point if you really want to...   haha

He doesn't recruit THE BEST players.  And we all now know WHY.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

jcam61

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 16, 2007, 11:09:52 pm
We arent USC.. 

They worked for it.

Before PeteCaroll got there USC wasn't that great. They had fallen from grace in the football ranks. And correct me if I am wrong but during that time they were still in the same location that they are in now.

But, But...    he got a 5 star quarterback last year...   hahaha..     PLEASE...   The guy gets good players to come here and theres no question about it.   You can question his coaching all you want but when we have heisman candidates....   its hard to listen to you all.

jcam61

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on April 16, 2007, 11:12:25 pm

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

You made it sound like Houston doesnt recruit good players...  I disagree...   you can argue with me about that point if you really want to...   haha

So Mustain and McFadden werent the best?

RazorRaider

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:13:11 pm
Quote from: RazorRaider on April 16, 2007, 11:09:52 pm
We arent USC.. 

They worked for it.

Yeah..   That SoCal location KILLS them too.   I'd hate to go play there with the nice weather and all.

But, But...    he got a 5 star quarterback last year...   hahaha..     PLEASE...   The guy gets good players to come here and theres no question about it.   You can question his coaching all you want but when we have heisman candidates....   its hard to listen to you all.

Candidates?

How many razorback players have been to NY other than DMac?

I can tell you how many.

None.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

RazorRaider

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:13:55 pm

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

You made it sound like Houston doesnt recruit good players...  I disagree...   you can argue with me about that point if you really want to...   haha

Gus got Mustain.

DMac wanted to be a hog since he was a kid all Nutt had to do was offer a scholarship.

That is not recruiting.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

Hollywood_HOGan45

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

Mustain- bad example.
we got him and he ran him off.

McFadden was going to be a hog regardless.

jcam61

Quote from: RazorsEdge on April 16, 2007, 11:11:02 pm
Bua was at his best at LB for the Hogs.  The move to safety didn't work out as well in my opinion.  He was always trying to play LB from his safety spot.

I agree with you...   I think we were weak at safety and had to move him...   HOWEVER ..   If he was ever going to make it as a pro he was going to be a safety.   He was too small to play LB there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:09:56 pm
We arent USC.. 

They worked for it.

good gawsh people!

How many times do we have to shoot down the location factor?

Lincoln, NE
Blacksburg, VA
Auburn, AL
Norman, OK

The location factor has always been stupid

Fayetteville is a pretty cool place to go to school, too, and an even better place to live.  It's not exactly Starkville.  It's also long been known as a party school.  Around 1980 or so it was ranked Playboy's #1 party campus.  And the girls there ain't bad either.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hollywood_HOGan45

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

Houston nutt does recruit good players.

Does he get them? heck no.

My point was about the current state of our defensive secondary.

Its funny you bring up Bua. Bua was playing out of position the ENTIRE 03 season and then finally in the bowl game, he puts him back and LB.

Does that sound like a good football coach to you?

redbarn

Come on shavin'.  You and I both know that it doesn't do any good to recruit five star players if you are going to have your friends send them derogatory emails and treat them like step children. You gotta go after  the lower recruits so you can say "we are almost there.  Just wait till next year".
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

jcam61

I could name all of our decent players if you wanted but it doesnt really matter.   If you dislike Nutt that is fine but please dont try and say he didnt get decent players to come to the UofA.  I for one think we have fine players and I will support them 100%.

Quote from: redbarn on April 16, 2007, 11:17:36 pm
Come on shavin'.  You and I both know that it doesn't do any good to recruit five star players if you are going to have your friends send them derogatory emails and treat them like step children. You gotta go after  the lower recruits so you can say "we are almost there.  Just wait till next year".

I've been saying this all along.  Nutt doesn't want to succeed at the highest level.  He hates the pressure.

jcam61

April 16, 2007, 11:21:53 pm #26 Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:24:12 pm by jcam61
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:17:35 pm

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

Its funny you bring up Bua. Bua was playing out of position the ENTIRE 03 season and then finally in the bowl game, he puts him back and LB.

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:17:35 pm

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

Maybe he realized Bua's ONLY chance in the NFL was to play safety.     Do you really think this kid could have played LB in the NFL.   I know its a stretch... (especially to you haters)  . .  but maybe HDN actually liked Bua and was trying to get him the best oppurtunity.

BTW..  I love playing Devil's advocate against you guys...   its too easy..  :) :)

Hollywood_HOGan45

April 16, 2007, 11:23:51 pm #27 Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:25:35 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
this is news to me.

I didnt know you were supposed to coach players on the basis of their NFL potential.

I could have sworn the object of coaching was to win games not play players at their "NFL" position.

If that were the case then Matt Jones would have been playing wideout his entire career.

And Bua was playing out of position the ENTIRE 03 season. Nutt realized he screwed up and moved him back to LB just in time for a meaningless bowl game against Missouri

jcam61

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:23:51 pm
this is news to me.

I didnt know you were supposed to coach players on the basis of their NFL potential.

I could have sworn the object of coaching was to win games not play players at their "NFL" position.

If that were the case then Matt Jones would have been playing wideout his entire career.

Yeah..   you're probly right.    Must have been a case where HDN's love outweighed his judgement...   darn..     LOLOL

redbarn

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:19:26 pm
I could name all of our decent players if you wanted but it doesnt really matter.   If you dislike Nutt that is fine but please dont try and say he didnt get decent players to come to the UofA.  I for one think we have fine players and I will support them 100%.

I think we have a lot of decent players at the U of A.  I think we only have a couple of great players.   Decent players are easy to get.  Great players have to be recruited.  You don't think so?  Ask Kodi Burns why he went to Auburn.  Ask any of the states top players why they aren't at Arkansas.  Recruiting is the key to any teams success.  Houston Nutt is not successful.  DMac and Felix Jones are exceptions but that was last year and this year could very well be a different year as they will not have the same protection they had last year.  Plus, it was very evident with the games at the end of the season that Arkansas's running game could be stopped.

Hollywood_HOGan45

April 16, 2007, 11:26:30 pm #30 Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:31:27 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:25:31 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:23:51 pm
this is news to me.

Yeah..   you're probly right.    Must have been a case where HDN's love outweighed his judgement...   darn..     LOLOL

Sure wish that nutt love would have kept Mitch and Gus here.

We might have had a chance to win a championship this upcoming season.

jcam61

Quote from: redbarn on April 16, 2007, 11:26:22 pm
Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:19:26 pm
I could name all of our decent players if you wanted but it doesnt really matter.   If you dislike Nutt that is fine but please dont try and say he didnt get decent players to come to the UofA.  I for one think we have fine players and I will support them 100%.

I think we have a lot of decent players at the U of A.  I think we only have a couple of great players.   Decent players are easy to get.  Great players have to be recruited.  You don't think so?  Ask Kodi Burns why he went to Auburn.  Ask any of the states top players why they aren't at Arkansas.  Recruiting is the key to any teams success.  Houston Nutt is not successful.  DMac and Felix Jones are exceptions but that was last year and this year could very well be a different year as they will not have the same protection they had last year.  Plus, it was very evident with the games at the end of the season that Arkansas's running game could be stopped.

You think Kodi will be that good?..   just wondering..

Killean

just ONE star player.

I'm pretty sure we have two star tailbacks, a star fullback, a star wide receiver and a star center.  That's just on the offensive side of the ball.

I think the other guys would be awfully offended if you left them out.

That's 5 players in the regular rotation who are NFL caliber returning to the team.

The talent is there, the teaching isn't.  Our linemen aren't taught to pass block worth a damn.  We're probably a full game to a game and a half better a YEAR if we get a real special teams coach, but that won't happen with the current head coach.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

jcam61

Also,  I think people overlook defense.   Our D-line was one of the best in the country last year.  Credit Tracy Rocker I guess.

jcam61

Quote from: Killean on April 16, 2007, 11:27:53 pm
just ONE star player.

I'm pretty sure we have two star tailbacks, a star fullback, a star wide receiver and a star center.  That's just on the offensive side of the ball.

That's 5 players in the regular rotation who are NFL caliber returning to the team.

The talent is there, the teaching isn't.  Our linemen aren't taught to pass block worth a damn.  We're probably a full game to a game and a half better a YEAR if we get a real special teams coach, but that won't happen with the current head coach.

Very true....  you can attack HDN for certain things but i dont thing recruiting and getting good players is one of them.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:32:06 pm
just ONE star player.

Very true....  you can attack HDN for certain things but i dont thing recruiting and getting good players is one of them.

yea
We're always in good shape at the QB and WR spots.

Oh and then there's that secondary.

Killean

His recruiting is suspect more because we can't get any depth rather than we can't get any stars.    Too many misses to go along with the hits.  It's particularly a problem in the defensive secondary.  Lack of depth there has killed us.  The quarterback position hasn't been handled well at all under any Nutt recruit.  We either can't settle on one or we can't utilize the talents of the quarterback properly.  Also no quarterback under Nutt has shown consistent development from year to year.  Any QB that comes to Arkansas is as good as he's going to be the moment he arrives.

The most horrible example of our problems are in special teams, particularly field goals.  Not only do our kickers not learn anything, they actually get worse once they hit Fayetteville.  O'Donohoe was a LOT better in high school than at college.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Ugly Uncle

just ONE star player.

You MUST be kidding.
Retired Radio Host

bao187

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 16, 2007, 11:07:01 pm
We arent USC.. 

You know how USC got to be the USC of today?

They fired their sucka** coach and got a real football coach.

USC was not very good before Carroll.

actually USC has always been a top notch program they had a rough time between 1996-2000 but other than that they have always been a good program its like Corso said LA has more talent in a square mile than the rest of the country put together i agree which is hard because i don't like corso much
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

jcam61

Quote from: uglyuncle on April 16, 2007, 11:39:43 pm
just ONE star player.

You MUST be kidding.

So you are saying we dont have any great players?..   Please do tell.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: jcam61 on April 16, 2007, 11:56:20 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on April 16, 2007, 11:39:43 pm
just ONE star player.

You MUST be kidding.

So you are saying we dont have any great players?..   Please do tell.

Where have we ranked nationally in the last 9 years recruiting?  How have we ranked in the SEC?

26-40 nationally.

7-9 in the SEC.

What school has the least amount of players in the NFL from the SEC (besides Vandy and Kentucky)?

I must admit that Danny has done well recruiting RBs.

However, how is our depth at TE?
How is our depth at QB?
How was our depth (until last year when so many committed because of MM...you can check this fact, almost without exception they all said MM was the reason they came) at WR?
Our offensive line for the first time last year had depth since the Ford era.  (Remember that was year 8 of HdN)

You do not have facts on your side with this argument.  We have some great players.  But we do not have the kind of players we could have if HdN would quit playing so much pick up basketball and actually call and recruit better players.

Retired Radio Host

jcam61

Quote from: Cooper on April 17, 2007, 01:07:29 am
We arent USC.. 

I love this stupid, freakin' attitude. USC wasn't USC 10 years ago, chief.

Im sure Arkie is the easiest place to recruit to also.  I guess I'm stupid though in your opinion...   

One question....
Would you rather have your child go to USC   ..   or Arkansas??      I rest my case.

lovethosehogs

arkansas looks like they will have three first round picks in this years draft.  according to the mocks more than usc notre dame and florida.  raiting classes are over rated. I hate nutt, but he has got some good players to attend the uofa!

RazorRaider

Quote from: jcam61 on April 17, 2007, 02:51:06 am
We arent USC.. 

Im sure Arkie is the easiest place to recruit to also.  I guess I'm stupid though in your opinion...  

One question....
Would you rather have your child go to USC   ..   or Arkansas??      I rest my case.

No one is saying it is easy to recruit here.

But crap the bed fred, if you want top notch players you have to work at it?

I swear explaining things to you fells like I am banging my  head against the wall.
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: jcam61 on April 17, 2007, 02:51:06 am
We arent USC.. 

One question....
Would you rather have your child go to USC   ..   or Arkansas??      I rest my case.

Are you asking if I would rather have my child in Watts, CA or Fayetteville, AR?  That is an easy one!  I would much rather have my child in Fayetteville than the part of LA that USC is stuck in.  Take this from someone who has lived in Fayetteville and LA, the quality of life is better in NWA.  Trust me, everybody out there isn't living like Paris Hilton.

Are you asking if I would rather send my kid to Houston Nutt or Pete Carroll?  That is a little tougher, but I would trust Pete Carroll with my kid over Houston Nutt.  Now if Pete Carroll was the Head Coach at Arkansas, that would be the best of both worlds.

RazorsEdge

I would also ask:  What's wrong with UCLA?  Since 5 star athletes are everywhere, where is UCLA in the top 25?  UCLA's campus isn't far from USC, but is in a nicer neighborhood.  Why can't UCLA recruit the top classes?  Rivals has them #38.  Better athletes wanted to go to Stillwater, OK (#28) than sunny southern Cal?

BennyBlancofromtheRock

just ONE star player.

Jones, monk

HogsSon46

Quote from: BennyBlancofromtheRock on April 17, 2007, 10:03:21 am
just ONE star player.

Jones, monk
And Casey Dick...ha, just wanted to see what people would say about that.

The Marmot

just ONE star player.

Quick question.

Mustain can't be used in the defense of Nutts recruiting... Malzahn recruited him, and Nutt couldn't keep him here.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

abraHAM_lincoln

You get what we have on the field when a coach decides he wants to be number 1 in rushing statistics, than win games.  If we do win it is just gravy to nutt...his goal is top 10 in rushing, and to hell with winning the freaking game.