Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billy Packer,, goofs again..

Started by dmac_iz_kin, April 04, 2007, 10:57:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dmac_iz_kin

ESPN reported that Packer's Supervisor has publicly apologized for comments Packer made in an on air interview before the final four, suggesting in a joking manner something to the effect of " you always fag out on me"
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

HarrisonHog

Fag out is an old phrase that has nothing to do with gayness.  It means to tire out or become fatigued.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Did they mention the interview was with Anderson Cooper.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

mikeirwin

He's right. That's an old phrase from the 60's. It means to run out of steam.
It has nothing to do with being gay.

Five™

FIVE™.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 04, 2007, 11:41:02 pm

They said packer was being hush hush about it. He should come out and apologize and say thats some old 1960's sayings he was refering too.  They made it into a homophobic connotation
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

wooo

he has no reason to apologize

If I said, "That's queer."  It means odd. No need to apologize

High Octane Hog

I agree that Packer did not mean anything derogatory, even though I can not stand his commentary. Has anyone ever heard Packer apologize for anything himself?

Tejano Jawg

Packer fags me out. (Hmmm...still sounds wrong.)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Franchise_Hog

Grandfather and dad use it all the time....you can't say anything any more.

WBChogfan

I wonder if they'll try to stick him in rehab!

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: ASUhogfan on April 05, 2007, 12:43:58 am
I wonder if they'll try to stick him in rehab!

Maybe he could do community service with our basketball team.

PiggyBack

I AM SOOOOO TIRED OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!!!

Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

gomersnerd

If that was all ol' "Fudge" said i would be happy.
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

casken

"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

OrvilleRedenporker

"I was out back smokin' fags"__Actor Collin Ferrell.  Fags are cigarettes in the British Isles.

Fatty McGee

It's not even from the 60s.  It's still used today in England.  Billy may just be using it the same way he was using it during the Revolution.

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

HogBaptist

i don't buy this.  i don't care what it "did" mean.  it only matters what it means now.  i'm only 25 years old and when i read it, i think it means to become gay or to start acting gay.

3kgthog

At least Packer didn't see he was feeling a little "faggy" that day.

aristotle

Not as newsworthy as when he called Allen Iverson an agile monkey while at Georgetown. I remember actually watching that game, and thinking......"Packer is done. Just committed career suicide. He pulled a Howard Cosell."

He later said it was brought to his attention that what he said could have been offensive. Iverson was a man about it, and let it slide, allowing Packer his apology with no intent of offense.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HogBaptist on April 05, 2007, 08:18:41 am

i don't buy this.  i don't care what it "did" mean.  it only matters what it means now.  i'm only 25 years old and when i read it, i think it means to become gay or to start acting gay.

I'm with Bill Simmons - people of a certain age should be given a little leeway for not being up with the current usage of terms. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

JDW-20

CalHog

This may sound a little queer to some of you, but I am really fagged out on this coaching fiasco.

LuckyGiraffe

Well YOU are the type of person that keeps this damn Political Correctness going and growing, going and growing, going and growing!

Hog lite

So what if he used it in a gay reference.!!!!  

Tusks

Sounds like Packer has found himself in a real "tar baby".
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sooieet

Well since "Billy Packer" kinda sounds like a punchline to a dirty joke anyway, I say who cares. 

hogtusk

When I was in HS, "fags" was slang for cigarettes. If somebody got tired of running laps, we said they were fagged out. (Out of wind because of smoking). We were so un-PC in the day. :)
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: OrvilleRedenporker on April 05, 2007, 08:01:23 am
"I was out back smokin' fags"__Actor Collin Ferrell.  Fags are cigarettes in the British Isles.

No, he meant he was shooting gay people!

Ex-Trumpet

I guess I should quit saying "Throw another faggot on the fire."

"Faggot" is also German for "bassoon", where it may also be spelled "fagot."  It is a wooden instrument made in the shape of a large twig, or "faggot." (Sounds like a belching bedpost!)

"Gay" once meant "happy"...people even used to name their kids Gay--both male and female.

Other words of changing vernacular:

"Dork" is now a goofball, or a goober, where it was once a male appendage...

"Goober is now a dork, or a male appendage, where it was once a peanut...

"Cock," was short for cockerel, a male chicken, also known as a "Rooster"...

"Bitch," a female dog, used in breeding stock...

Of course, there's the famous nursery rhyme character, "Puss in Boots"...sounds like the feature act on center stage today (from what I've heard!).
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HamShank

What about the people who actually put fudge into boxes at candy companies?  They are "fudgepackers," and they are human beings too.  I would go so far as to assume that groups of these "fudgepackers" have their own bars they go to.  If they feel self-conscious, maybe they have "fudgepacker pride parades" to show the world that they're not ashamed that they pack fudge. 

Open your minds, people.  It's a brave new world. 

razorhead69

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Poppa Nutt

That's your problem then. Not his.

WindyCityHog

Smoke a fag.

In England, that means "smoke a cigarette".

This country is too PC.

timmyhog

How narcissistic!  so, you get to define words for everyone... from your vast 25 years' experience on this earth?  How selfish and stupid!  I detest Billy Packer, but he shouldn't have to explain his use of a word which he used properly and in context...

WE are all buying into the crap spewed by the PC police... think of all the words which have been ruined because of this idiotic bunch... reminds me of the guy who was accused of being racist because of his description of a co worker as 'niggardly'... the ignorant people around him simply did not have a clue what it meant, so they assumed he had used (and mispronounced) a racial slur...

get real!!!

timmyhog

Quote from: timmyhog on April 05, 2007, 02:25:32 pm

How narcissistic!  so, you get to define words for everyone... from your vast 25 years' experience on this earth?  How selfish and stupid!  I detest Billy Packer, but he shouldn't have to explain his use of a word which he used properly and in context...

WE are all buying into the crap spewed by the PC police... think of all the words which have been ruined because of this idiotic bunch... reminds me of the guy who was accused of being racist because of his description of a co worker as 'niggardly'... the ignorant people around him simply did not have a clue what it meant, so they assumed he had used (and mispronounced) a racial slur...

get real!!!

and, no, I'm not going to define niggardly for you... buy a friggin' dictionary!

hubbard1015

i remember when him and nolan got into it because baldy told him that we needed to throw it inside to corliss more! those two are soup sandwiches!!

94 Hawg

phunny stuff, I'm anti pc as well.

truth is, depending on WHO said this determines what is made of it.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Since 1894

I am fagged, going to take a nap!
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

spudhog

April 05, 2007, 03:05:01 pm #40 Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:09:18 pm by spudhog
Quote from: timmyhog on April 05, 2007, 02:27:01 pm

get real!!!

and, no, I'm not going to define niggardly for you... buy a friggin' dictionary!

regardless of what he meant by in his statement. in today's society that word is hailed as being derogatory to a certain lifestyle. him being in the public's eye as often as he is should know better. we all know many of the "unwritten" rules and differences between  talking to your best friend over a meal and what you say over projected air waves.  i understand your point but pc or not, you just don't pull that word out when you have a job such as his. in 6th grade, we had a teacher call a kid queer in front of the whole class. she, obviously was not referring to his sexual preference but to his challenges with normalcy. her meaning was not necessariyl incorrect but she just use  a poor descriptive word.  slang is ok in certain settings along with certain people. imagine if the president sad what packer said.  one can continue to show no caution with their slang and can live a good liefestyle and enjoy many divert friends in a certain realm. some people just don't have the liberty's that other's have due to their choice of occupation.

cbjagman

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 04, 2007, 10:57:45 pm
ESPN reported that Packer's Supervisor has publicly apologized for comments Packer made in an on air interview before the final four, suggesting in a joking manner something to the effect of " you always fag out on me"
Gosh, ESPN apologizing for something Billy Packer said. Perhaps what they should have done instead is merely apologize for Billy Packer's existance.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Spiral_cut

Never make fun of others unless they are less fortunate than you.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: Spiral_cut on April 05, 2007, 03:10:26 pm
Never make fun of others unless they are less fortunate than you.
but man I can't stand anderson cooper...

silvertip

Well, if you're only 25, then grow up & quit expecting the rest of the world to conform to your ignorant perspective.

timmyhog

Quote from: spudhog on April 05, 2007, 03:05:01 pm
Quote from: timmyhog on April 05, 2007, 02:27:01 pm

get real!!!

regardless of what he meant by in his statement. in today's society that word is hailed as being derogatory to a certain lifestyle. him being in the public's eye as often as he is should know better. we all know many of the "unwritten" rules and differences between  talking to your best friend over a meal and what you say over projected air waves.  i understand your point but pc or not, you just don't pull that word out when you have a job such as his. in 6th grade, we had a teacher call a kid queer in front of the whole class. she, obviously was not referring to his sexual preference but to his challenges with normalcy. her meaning was not necessariyl incorrect but she just use  a poor descriptive word.  slang is ok in certain settings along with certain people. imagine if the president sad what packer said.  one can continue to show no caution with their slang and can live a good liefestyle and enjoy many divert friends in a certain realm. some people just don't have the liberty's that other's have due to their choice of occupation.

What a load!  ...and your analogy of your 6th grade teacher is off point... she seemed to be belittling a person for his 'struggles with normalcy'... regardless of what word she used, it was a derogatory comment!   Packer was telling someone that they 'wear him out' or 'make him tired'... he was not trying to belittle anyone...

This is more PC bull!  and it absolutely WEARS ME OUT!  FAGS ME OUT!  MAKES ME TIRED!  DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

I don't believe Packer (or anyone else) should have to 'dumb down' the english language so ignorant people will not be offended... if you're that stupid, you deserve to be offiended!

jbcarol

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 04, 2007, 10:57:45 pm

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  No not at all.  People's personal fitness is a private matter.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 05, 2007, 10:11:56 am
I guess I should quit saying "Throw another faggot on the fire."

"Faggot" is also German for "bassoon", where it may also be spelled "fagot."  It is a wooden instrument made in the shape of a large twig, or "faggot." (Sounds like a belching bedpost!)

"Gay" once meant "happy"...people even used to name their kids Gay--both male and female.

Other words of changing vernacular:

"Dork" is now a goofball, or a goober, where it was once a male appendage...

"Goober is now a dork, or a male appendage, where it was once a peanut...

"Cock," was short for cockerel, a male chicken, also known as a "Rooster"...

"Bitch," a female dog, used in breeding stock...

Of course, there's the famous nursery rhyme character, "Puss in Boots"...sounds like the feature act on center stage today (from what I've heard!).

So our HC not knowing the context of what was quoted in a book may have really misunderstood our former QB.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ThisLittlePiggie

Well OK. You just declared stupidity due to age. We all have problems.