Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-1 in football vs. 7-9 in basketball

Started by JustWinHog, March 19, 2007, 08:04:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogSophist

Quote from: MuleriderFan on March 20, 2007, 12:07:17 pm
Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 19, 2007, 08:10:21 pm
I agree. regardless of how you feel about Nutt, he saved his job this year. Regardless of the turmoil and how it affected the offseason. We should more be concerned about wins.  Nutt went 7-1 in the SEC while Heath went 7-9.  Heath has had his chance and he failed. If Nutt fails, then he will lose

I totally 100% agree with you.

LISTEN MISTER! j/k.....seriously, how is making the dance a failure? I agree that i damn near puked at another first round loss, and Heath should probably go, but lets call it what it is and not a failure. 65 out of 330 mens division 1 teams make the Dance, and we were one of them, the season is not a failure. Sure it is if you want to make the 94/95 seasons the standard, but heck, to date, we were the last team to have a shot at a repeat (i think). If you want to compare the two coaches, go from where they both took over, not compare this last seasons SEC records.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

BigHog396

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:17:46 pm
Hog football = #3-6 facilities and +6or7 tradition
Are you freakin' serious?  Do you know absolutely NOTHING about college football history?  Why don't you tell us who these 5 or 6 SEC schools are that have more TRADITION than the University of Arkansas Razorbacks.  Give me a break.

JustWinHog

Alabama
LSU
Florida
Tenn
Auburn
Georgia

In no paticular order

all have a more storied football tradition than Arkansas.

BigHog396

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 20, 2007, 01:13:45 pm
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Tenn
Auburn
Georgia

In no paticular order

all have a more storied football tradition than Arkansas.
You really don't know anything about college football history!  That's just funny!

-  Alabama... I will give you that one, they do have more tradition than us.
-  LSU...  Is pretty much on par with us.  They have been up and down over the years, and are on basically the same level as us for tradition.
-  Florida... About the same tradition as us and LSU, nothing really special before the Spurrier years.
-  Tennessee...  Maybe slightly more in the W column, but not on a level above the tradition of Arkansas.  Much of their success came between the 1920's-1940's.  About the same as us in what would be considered the modern era of college football.
-  Auburn... Also about the same as us.
-  Georgia... Again about the same as us.

Alabama is the only team in the SEC that is really a level above us when it comes to college football tradition.  Of course, they are a level above EVERYONE in the SEC in college football tradition.  The rest of the group that you mentioned is pretty much on par with us for overall tradition.

If you want to talk what is generally considered the modern era of college football, there isn't much difference between us and the rest of that group.  We may have sucked for most of the last 15 or so seasons, but that is due to the shape Ken Hatfield left the program in.  Either you are too young to remember what the tradition of Razorback football is really like, or you were completely blind to what we accomplished from the time Broyles arrived, until the time Hatfield left.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:04:00 pm
what is the big argument here? One coach stays, one coach gets fired. Seems pretty logical to me.

Plus, and this is big plus. It is 10X easier to win in basketball if you are Arkansas.
Why was Houston Nutt allowed to stay after 5-6 and 4-7 back-to-back, when Heath is fired after 22-10 and 21-14 (SECC appearance) and back-to-back NCAAT bids?
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Pigmund Freud

I agree. The hogs are as "storied "as anybody over the 1900-2000 period and deserve to be on a level with any school. The SWC was a fine conference, even SMU and TCU had their heyday. You have to have been there , I suppose. The same will not be true of the next 100 years if we don't dump Nutt and the acceptance of mediocrity he stands for.

Newcoachplease

They both should be fired...neither can hold USC to under 70 points!

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: Newcoachplease on March 20, 2007, 03:00:54 pm
They both should be fired...neither can hold USC to under 70 points!
LOL--The Basketball team came close.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

jbcarol

Here is how the power rose and fell in the SEC.  Traditions built, traditions destroyed.
Exclude Ga. Tech, Tulane, etc.  Arkansas and So. Carolina on-board in 1992.

1933-37:  'Bama and LSU are on top.
1938-40:  Tennessee undefeated in conference.  Foundation for 100,000 seat stadium is set.
They played during the war.  But we don't build traditions during the war.
1946-48:  Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee
1949-50:  Kentucky (Sagarin NC, give Rupp Caddy and Bear a lighter.  Say goodbye to football).
1951-52:  Tennesse
1953:       Alabama
1954-55:  Ole Miss
1956:       Tennessee
1957-58:   Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia
1959:       Georgia
1960-63:  Mississippi, Alabama, LSU
1964-66:  Alabama (Arkansas has NC in '64)
1967-69:  Tennessee
1960-69:  Arkansas has 2nd best record in NCAA for the decade out of SW Conference
1970:       LSU
1971-75:  Alabama
1976-77:  Alabama and probated Kentucky
1978-79:  Alabama (Arkansas has an NC out of SW in or around here)
1980-82:  Georgia
1983:      Auburn
1984:      Florida probated
1985:      Tennessee
1986:      LSU
1987-88:  Auburn, LSU
1989:      Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn
1990:     Tennessee
1991:     Florida
1992:     Alabama (NC)
1993:     Florida, Tennessee
1994:     Alabama
1995-96: Florida (NC)
1997-98: Tennessee (NC)
1999:     Alabama
2000:     Florida
2001:     Tennessee
2002:     Georgia
2003:     LSU (NC)
2004:     Auburn (NC)
2005:     Georgia
2006:     Florida (NC)

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PMP11

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:10:05 pm
so what is it? HDN cant recruit? or he cant win with his superior talent?

nobody can answer that question yet they complain about both. It has to be one or the other.

anyone?

How much recruiting did he have to do to get DMAC??  Without DMAC last year, nutt would not have gone 7-1 in conference.  Neither would he had with Rojo and Dick as the only two qb options.  I'm not saying the QB who went 8-0(or 7-0 if you'd like) was the only reason, but it sure helped.  I would also say our two all sec freshman helped in a couple of games.  Keep in mind, not one of those three really wanted to play for nutt.  DW & BC decomitted from FLA and MM just decomitted from us.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 20, 2007, 08:17:40 pm
Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on March 20, 2007, 10:24:05 am
Quote from: hogapalooza on March 19, 2007, 09:04:42 pm
Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:44:31 pm
If they would have fired Nutt last year then I would not have said a word.

But how can all of you holier than thous claim that you don't like Houston cause he is not ethical, and then promise a guy 2 years but then fire him instead.

Nutt fired last year, no problem by me. Nutt fired this year with a chance at a huge year. Problem. That would just be down right stupid.

If you don't like the one year comparision, look at Heath's entire tenure here vs. HDN's entire tenure. Heath hasn't won anything even once, while HDN has had his moments and won. Not enough to suit me, but he has won far more than Heath.

Lastly, anyone who believes that it is easier to win in SEC football, as opposed to basketball, just doesn't have a clue.
Who are you talking to?

Look, if you want to be here and give an opinion that is as far off on the subject as we are from a National title in either sport fine. 

Do not talk down to people, and do not act like you are better than any1.

HDN is a Mediocre coach at Best. You can like the fact he won 10 games 1 year out of 9, he has only won against the teams he should win against, and is a Joke to every1 in college football outside the state of Ar.

You keep up the fight, be his talking head, go to sleep loving the helmet just like HDN, but do it knowing you are part of the reason we keep from reaching our full potential.

P-A-THET-IC!

Wow, don't talk down to people or act better than anyone else...then immediately turn around and say the coach is AT BEST mediocre.

Hyprocrisy is running rampant around here.

This is what I've found out to be true for a lot of people on Hogville. "Respect everyone's opinion....as long as it's anti-Nutt."

That's it.  That's what you can get away with.  You can blast Houston Nutt until the cows come home, but say a word against Gus or Tulsa and your butt gets modded and banned quicker than Mitch changing his mind about where he wants to play football (4 times between his original committment and today).

I, for one, would like to see a little fairness and a little more objectivity.  But that's just me.
Calling the coach MEDIOCRE is not acting like some1 is better than any1 else. You need a reading and comprehension class.  Opinions are allowed to be here, the thread and you Pathetic Post proves it.

You want fairness as long as it is what you consider fair. That is something you need to rethink, as in Find another place to be or deal w/ the fact this is the way life is for the people that support HDN and not what the Program could and would be w/ out a MEDIOCRE head coach.

Then your saying that I need comprehension class and my "pathetic post" proves you are a hypocrite.  You tell other people not to be insulting and then in the very same thread you go and do it.  It's laughable.  People see it for what it is and your witty little quips, while perhaps funny to some, prove to all that you say one thing and do another.

And if I get modded or banned for this post and the moderator who has been far more insulting than I doesn't, then this board will have proven it's true color and it's true definition of fairness. 

I don't care if the board is fair or not.  That doesn't bother me.  I don't like dishonesty.  I don't want people to tell me that all things are equal and all opinions will be treated with equal weight just to have it to be the opposite.