Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7-1 in football vs. 7-9 in basketball

Started by JustWinHog, March 19, 2007, 08:04:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JustWinHog

what is the big argument here? One coach stays, one coach gets fired. Seems pretty logical to me.

Plus, and this is big plus. It is 10X easier to win in basketball if you are Arkansas.

zorbacks06

Your logic is illogical logically speaking.

hawgsav1

I agree. regardless of how you feel about Nutt, he saved his job this year. Regardless of the turmoil and how it affected the offseason. We should more be concerned about wins.  Nutt went 7-1 in the SEC while Heath went 7-9.  Heath has had his chance and he failed. If Nutt fails, then he will lose
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

JustWinHog

Hog basketball = #1 facility in SEC #2 tradition in SEC

Hog football = #3-6 facilities and +6or7 tradition

It is easier to win in basketball.

3 years ago when Nebraska was courting Nutt the whole state wanted him to stay. He said its gonna be lean for 2 years because I havent been able to recruit, but boy after those 2 years look out. The whole state wanted him to stay and he did. 2 years of crap, just like he said and now he is delivering. Just like he said.
If he goes 4-4 in the SEC this year then by all means show him the door.

7-1 vs. 7-9. It can't be that hard to understand

kcstar

The Nutt Huggers like to use one good year to paint their boy in the best light.  Last year Nutt was 2-6 in the SEC and Heath was 10-6.  If you are going to compare the two coaches records why was that not pointed out?

The current comparisons depend on which side of the fence one is on.  And when Nutt's record goes South the Nutt crowd will have some other excuses.

I thought when the BAC could not fully get its hands around the Great Divide that a diversion would be created and Stan H. gave the PTB an inviting target.  My expectation was fulfilled and the Nutt crowd is crowing about one good year believing that the bad years are not remembered.

I have not heard nearly the amount of excuse making for Stan Heath's under .500 record this year that I did from the Nutt lovers during the two previous seasons. 

To say it is much easier to win in basketball does not hold water.  The basketball league is typically much stronger top to bottom than the SEC football conference is.  MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Ky are habitually under .500 clubs and easy pickings for the elite of the conference.  In basketball the lesser team beats the better team far more often than in football.  My goodness Florida won the National Championship and returned all five starters but lost two conference games.

Before we run Stan Heath out of town for being under .500 in the conference (actually he was 10-10 counting the conference tournament) let's at least give him credit for doing something that HDN has not done and is beat the National Champions (Florida last year).

joeyself

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:17:46 pm

3 years ago when Nebraska was courting Nutt the whole state wanted him to stay. He said its gonna be lean for 2 years because I havent been able to recruit, but boy after those 2 years look out. The whole state wanted him to stay and he did.

Just because you said it twice didn't mean it was true once.  I was part of this state in 2003 and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings at all if he'd taken his playbook and gone to Huskerland.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

JustWinHog

If they would have fired Nutt last year then I would not have said a word.

But how can all of you holier than thous claim that you don't like Houston cause he is not ethical, and then promise a guy 2 years but then fire him instead.

Nutt fired last year, no problem by me. Nutt fired this year with a chance at a huge year. Problem. That would just be down right stupid.

If you don't like the one year comparision, look at Heath's entire tenure here vs. HDN's entire tenure. Heath hasn't won anything even once, while HDN has had his moments and won. Not enough to suit me, but he has won far more than Heath.

Lastly, anyone who believes that it is easier to win in SEC football, as opposed to basketball, just doesn't have a clue.

Idahog

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:44:31 pm

But how can all of you holier than thous claim that you don't like Houston cause he is not ethical, and then promise a guy 2 years but then fire him instead.

Nutt fired last year, no problem by me. Nutt fired this year with a chance at a huge year. Problem. That would just be down right stupid.

If you don't like the one year comparision, look at Heath's entire tenure here vs. HDN's entire tenure. Heath hasn't won anything even once, while HDN has had his moments and won. Not enough to suit me, but he has won far more than Heath.

Lastly, anyone who believes that it is easier to win in SEC football, as opposed to basketball, just doesn't have a clue.

The coaches, talent wise, are on par with each other, mediocre.  Yes, the Nutt won last year, he also single handedly caused the team to become the biggest joke in the post season in the nation.  The national media likens us to a frickin mid-afternoon soap opera.  Not because the message boards grumble, but because of the factual occurances off the field.  Nutt's players SHOPLIFTING, his best recruits leaving, his best player getting overshadowed in drama, his Rivals National OC of the year leaving for a lower position at a small time college, his bringing back a tried and true person he fired for not being able to impliment a passing game and giving him more power to screw things up.  We are a joke in football.  And here you are, trying to defend the man who's mismanagement of the situation has gotten us here.

Bravo.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

Frank and Swine

I don't know of anyone that I come in contact with that was willing to give Nutt 2 years.  In fact they all wanted him fired then and now.  That agreement was between the PTB and Nutt.  Also, I submit that anyone on the present coaching staff could have as good of a year this year as the interim HC, as HDN so why keep him?

JustWinHog

OH i see, anyone could have won with all of the talent? but arent you the ones griping about HDN's bad recruiting? I thought that HDN couldnt recruit? Which is it. He cant recruit? or he cant do enough with the talent.

Or is it that you are really just bitching about everything cause you can never be happy with anything?

Idahog

Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

LSUFan

JustWinHog

so what is it? HDN cant recruit? or he cant win with his superior talent?

nobody can answer that question yet they complain about both. It has to be one or the other.

anyone?

Idahog

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:10:05 pm

nobody can answer that question yet they complain about both. It has to be one or the other.

anyone?

He can't recruit good QBs, can't keep good coaches, can sometimes win against the teams he should, can always find a way to lose the close games, and can be loyal to coaches who lose games for us (Shibest and special teams), can rehire coaches he has fired to do what they couldn't do before.

JustWinHog

but frank n swine just said that any coach could have won 10 games with our team. that must mean that HDN recruited a pretty good team?

HogSophist

anyone?

Is it that tough? HDN cannot recruit. He cannot win against the best in the SEC or the PAC10. Did you see the 3 game skid. HDN can recruit well enough barely win at vandy, bama and miss. st. He can beat Auburn when the best RB's in the nation go crazy. However, when it comes down to competing with those that recruit well, he cant get it done.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

HogSophist

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:17:13 pm
but frank n swine just said that any coach could have won 10 games with our team. that must mean that HDN recruited a pretty good team?

or in the real world where there are alternate answers, we played a schedule that was quite lackluster. Feel free to revisit old thread on the opponent winning % of our 10 wins.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

JustWinHog

I do agree about Sheibest. Loyalty. HDN's biggest fault.

JustWinHog

We lost to the National Champ and were competitive.
We lost to Sugar Bowl Champ and were competitive.
We lost to Rose Bowl Champ and got humiliated without our best player.
Lost to 12-1 Wis. Underperfomred.

Won close game against Vandy, Bama, SC.

Blew out 2 teams with far superior talent, AU and Tenn.

So he beat 2 teams he shouldnt have. Was ultra competitive against the best teams in the nation, and won close games. he also recruited the best high school QB in the nation. So, i just disproved all of Idahogs points.

JustWinHog

Hogsophist-

If I recall. The National Champ Florida Gators barely beat a few bad team this year. I guess we should take away their NC since they won close games to bad teams.

Idahog

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:18:39 pm
I do agree about Sheibest. Loyalty. HDN's biggest fault.

OH what crap.  Nutt is loyal to those that scratch him in the right places.  He needs to be loyal to Arkansas and provide us with the best chance to win.  Thats what the man is hired to do.  So far he has placed himself and the good ol' boy club surrounding him above everyone else.

HogSophist

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:23:47 pm

So he beat 2 teams he shouldnt have. Was ultra competitive against the best teams in the nation, and won close games. he also recruited the best high school QB in the nation. So, i just disproved all of Idahogs points.

errr, not exactly. Heck stan lost to tx by 4, was ultra competive with florida in the regular season, beat vandy twice, beat SIU, and on and on ad nauseum.

I did respond to your question about the alleged conundrum however.

HogSophist

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:25:33 pm
Hogsophist-

If I recall. The National Champ Florida Gators barely beat a few bad team this year. I guess we should take away their NC since they won close games to bad teams.

No, JW, not what i am saying. I am answering your question. HDN recruits well enough to beat those that he should and occasionally rise up and knock down a big boy. However, he does not recruit well enough to beat the elite in the SEC (or evidently the pac10). The difference in those games (setting aside the inability to coach his team into an effective passing game that is not mocked on national tv), is the talent level on the field. When we step on the field from top to bottom, the Floridas and LSUs of the SEC are more talented year in and year out.

feel free to now fall back into a "but you cant recruit to little ole arkansas" argument. (or laminated articles or a cloud....)

moley_russells_wart_hog

so what about the character issue how does that figure in your equation

Temprees

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:17:13 pm
They played 14 games. 10 wins equals 71%.  Not that great.

Idahog

March 19, 2007, 09:35:05 pm #25 Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:39:36 pm by Idahog

We should have won if not for a special teams meltdown.

We blew the game with the special teams meltdown and 'comittee' playcalling that decided to do 3 long hailmaries in a row.  Thanks HDN.

For the second year in a row, also have never lost that badly since 1918 in Fayetteville, and blew the redshirt off of Mustain, ensuring a drama filled year once Casey got healthy, all to save HDN's neck.

We absolutely owned Wisconsin in every stat, except the one that mattered.  Our kicking game was non-existant, it was a boring game embarrassing to watch and we should have won it, but we were predictable on offense.  Thanks HDN.

3 teams with barely winning records, or losing records.  We won by a gust of wind at Vandy and 3 bad kicks by Alabama.  South Carolina and Tennessee were good wins.

Auburn overlooked us.

he also recruited the best high school QB in the nation.

By hiring his High School Coach and making false promises to the players from Springdale that should have never been made.

So, i just disproved all of Idahogs points.

You disproved jack.

And you haven't mentioned anything about the post-season drama, his two losing seasons, his overall record and tenure here at Arkansas.

You mention one good year, and it was a good year.  Right up until MSU, when the cracks started showing.

joeyself

I'm consistent here; I thought it was dumb to let him have a free ride for two years, but if that promise was made, then it needed to be kept.

I'm not in favor of firing Houston because he won 10 games--or that he ONLY won 10 games--but because the man is not bright enough to see when the pieces were in place for him to acheive greatness.  Or, maybe he IS bright enough, but he didn't like it because he didn't put the pieces in those places, and is so petty as to let it interfere with the ultimate objective--winning the SEC and finally getting into a BCS bowl game. 

Whatever the case is, Houston lost me for good when he screwed around with Gus and the recruits from last year, and when he lied to the fans about what was going to happen and about what did happen.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jbcarol

March 19, 2007, 09:38:48 pm #27 Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:38:13 am by jbcarol

anyone?

No sweat. 

He chose to do anything possible to recruit and bring in one of the great coups in 2005.  He had bolstered many positions.  He did not bolster the key positions necessary to win against talented teams in the games that mattered.  In the best light for the HC, a series of bad decisions and lack of institutional control led to the loss of an NC despite superior talent.  Their spin machine made their biggest mistake.  Trying to deflect their mistakes onto the parents of three freshman players.  Unfortunately it was all too easy to get the National Media to check the facts and cost an old standby his job.

The effect.  Folks pay attention.  Recruiting now is going into a downward spiral.  You promised him this and that and totally reneged.  I am not going there.

That's how both statements can be true.  You saw the inability to win with superior talent in our faces.  You see the recruiting inability as a function of bad choices right now and in the future.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

moley_russells_wart_hog

or calling the ads of every open job out there

PiggyBack

Dale is such a fantastic coach that we had to fend off  NC State  'Bama  North Carolina  Miami  Minnesota  .......well, no one.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

Frank and Swine

March 19, 2007, 09:48:06 pm #32 Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:58:13 pm by Frank and Swine
Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 09:03:21 pm
OH i see, anyone could have won with all of the talent? but arent you the ones griping about HDN's bad recruiting? I thought that HDN couldnt recruit? Which is it. He cant recruit? or he cant do enough with the talent.

Or is it that you are really just bitching about everything cause you can never be happy with anything?

Who said anything about winning?  I said they could have as good of a year, whatever that might be.  Nutt has some talent on this team, but doesn't know how to win the big games with it.  That being said, anyone on staff could do as well. IMO

Newhopehog

If we under perform whose lap does that fall into???

grego5075

All would fire Heath with all his returning starters, keep Nutt because of the talent he's got returning seems biased to me. Firing both makes more credible sense. Just one more point who plays QB if CD gets hurt, and who replaces Dmac, Jones,Monk and Hillis.

jbcarol

Quote from: grego5075 on March 19, 2007, 09:57:16 pm
All would fire Heath with all his returning starters, keep Nutt because of the talent he's got returning seems biased to me. Firing both makes more credible sense. Just one more point who plays QB if CD gets hurt, and who replaces Dmac, Jones,Monk and Hillis.

With much sadness, you might find out on all counts, next year, during the season, if a balanced offense and a morph out of 1960's football program management is not installed.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

silvertip

Before you go to comparing FB & BB records---consider that Nutt does not face all the best SEC teams each year. Only 3 SEC-E opponents each year, of which our permanent SEC-E opponent USC is no better than the 4th program in the East.

Unlike in FB, the BB team team has to play EVERY SEC-East team every year. If Nutt had to play UGA, TN, & FLA every season, his career SEC record would be even worse than it is.

WBChogfan

You can't honestly play the Mustain card in HDN's favor.

He had him on the team for a whopping one season!  WOW!  That's phenomenal recruiting/coaching!

joeyself

Quote from: silvertip on March 19, 2007, 10:18:32 pm

Before you go to comparing FB & BB records---consider that Nutt does not face all the best SEC teams each year. Only 3 SEC-E opponents each year, of which our permanent SEC-E opponent USC is no better than the 4th program in the East.

Unlike in FB, the BB team team has to play EVERY SEC-East team every year. If Nutt had to play UGA, TN, & FLA every season, his career SEC record would be even worse than it is.

An excellent point, and it raises a question that is way off-topic here, so maybe I'll start a new thread.  The question: Why are we paired up with USC every year?  That means someone gets Vandy, and someone else gets Kentucky as their paired game.  Most years, that's a huge advantage for someone in the West.  Alternatively, whoever gets the fun of playing Florida or Georgia each and every year is getting hosed.

JcS

hawgsav1

I don't like the label of 'Hugger' or 'Darksider'.  My view is this. Both Heath and Nutt haven't performed well or up to expectations.  However, I think that whether or not you agree that Nutt should have been given a pass for the last two losing season years he was given one, regardless of whether he deserved it.  This was his deciding season and his squad performed well enough to retain his job for another year.  Right now, his position is similar to what Heath's was this year.  Frankly, if the Hogs can perform better than they did this year (remember that no one expected them to do what they did) and can show improvement, then Nutt will get my support. I don't care about recruiting or the alleged turmoil (frankly, if he can win with negative star recruits facing the other way and calling them turdheads at thee same time, then so be it; remember Ron Zook could recruit better than anyone yet he underperformed at Florida and now at Illinois. Bob Stoops never has recruits that are rated much better than middle of the pack in the SEC, yet the Sooners continually perform well). It come down to wins, and if Nutt can't get them, then he will lose my support.  I will admit, I was against the Heath hiring from the beginning but I gave him a chance.  Frankly, for most good rebuilding jobs in basketball (e.g. UAB and Anderson, USC and Floyd, UNLV and Kruger, UCLA and Howland, hell, even Nolan when he first came here), it shouldn't take more than 2-3 seasons to get the team consistently back in the Big Dance, regardless of the talent level.  Heath has had the world when it came to talent. The team in Heath's season had Final Four talent in Brewer, Modica, Famutimi, Hill, Townes, etc.  Last year's team was also quite talented yet he flamed out in the first round.  However, regardless of talent level or whatnot, Heath's teams have scraped into the dance on every occasion and either flamed out or been blown out in the first round, not what is expected of Razorback basketball.  My main point (sorry for it being so convoluted :-P) is that this was Heath's make or break season, and he didn't make it. He barely made the dance and showed no improvement from last season.  Heath should go, I think Nutt's is debatable.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Killean

Here's something else to think about..

SEC tournament and Postseason records this year:

Nutt:  0-2
Heath:  3-2

Postseason last year:

Heath:  1-2
Nutt:  umm, no postseason

Combined SEC records the past 2 years:

Nutt 9-7
Heath 17-15
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

jbcarol

Quote from: joeyself on March 19, 2007, 11:04:01 pm
Quote from: silvertip on March 19, 2007, 10:18:32 pm

An excellent point, and it raises a question that is way off-topic here, so maybe I'll start a new thread.  The question: Why are we paired up with USC every year?  That means someone gets Vandy, and someone else gets Kentucky as their paired game.  Most years, that's a huge advantage for someone in the West.  Alternatively, whoever gets the fun of playing Florida or Georgia each and every year is getting hosed.

JcS

Where was your AD when Vandy was looking for a rival partner in the SEC-W ?  Not only did you not get Vandy or even Kentucky, he let the SEC arrange it so that you had not even played Vandy until a couple of years ago.  Arkansas has been through the SEC 16 years.  I know what they did, and they hosed Arkansas.

When the SEC considered splitting East and West one hold out was Auburn and Georgia.  They did not want to break up their tradional rivalry.  So the SEC came up with the permanent rival concept to placate those two.  I'm sure the current coaches are ecstatic about that :)

Idahog

RedSatinHog

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:04:00 pm
what is the big argument here? One coach stays, one coach gets fired. Seems pretty logical to me.

Plus, and this is big plus. It is 10X easier to win in basketball if you are Arkansas.

If you're going to compare Nutt's best year to what Heath has done, compare it to Heath's best campaign.  2005-06, he went 10-6 in the SEC including a win over eventual national champ Florida, Kansas, and a road win @ Tennessee.

Truth is, Nutt has finished at or below .500 for more than half his stay at Fayetteville.  If you wouldn't tolerate Heath having 2 losing seasons and going to 3 NIT's (and I doubt very many of us would), why in the world are you supporting Nutt for doing it?  That's exactly what he's done in "guiding" the Hogs to the Weedeater, Grand Ole Opry, and UNLV bowls, all of which amount to NIT trips.

And how many times have Nutt's teams been slapped around?  More times than you'd ever care to admit.

I'm not in favor of keeping Heath, but I darn sure don't get why we're giving Nutt a pass.  Nutt's an embarrassment, and it oughta tell you something that despite all the job openings around the country this season, Nutt was only mentioned as an afterthought.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

TheHogFan

Quote from: Idahog on March 20, 2007, 06:30:02 am
And Justwinhog has disappeared...
You realize that people have jobs and lives to attend? Some can't be on here every waking moment defending every single post.

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on March 19, 2007, 09:38:48 pm

anyone?

No sweat. 

He chose to do anything possible to recruit and bring in one of the great coups in 2005.  He had bolstered many positions.  He did not bolster the key positions necessary to win against talented teams in the games that mattered.  In the best light for the HC, a series of bad decisions and lack of institutional control led to the loss of an NC despite superior talent.  Their spin machine made their biggest mistake.  Trying to deflect their mistakes onto the parents of three freshman players.  Unfortunately it was all too easy to get the National Media to check the facts and cost an old standby his job.

The effect.  Folks pay attention.  Recruiting now is going into a downward spiral.  You promised him this and that and totally reneged.  I am not going there.

That's how both statements can be true.  You saw the inability to win with superior talent in our faces.  You see the recruiting inability as a function of bad choices right now and in the future.

This compares sadly to Coach Richardson's situation.  He thought he was unfireable.  Tanks would roll in.  The folks would protest on the Hill.

Coach Richardson showed he could recruit with the best.  He owned Memphis.  He showed he could win the big one and make a good encore showing.  That would be the difference between Coach Richardson and Coach Nutt.

But recruiting is what have you done for me lately (ask Tubby Smith).  Coach Richardson was tailing off at the end.  And also don't ever do anything publicly to embarrass this Athletic Dept. or this University.  Think about it.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: hogapalooza on March 19, 2007, 09:04:42 pm

Who are you talking to?

Look, if you want to be here and give an opinion that is as far off on the subject as we are from a National title in either sport fine. 

Do not talk down to people, and do not act like you are better than any1.

HDN is a Mediocre coach at Best. You can like the fact he won 10 games 1 year out of 9, he has only won against the teams he should win against, and is a Joke to every1 in college football outside the state of Ar.

You keep up the fight, be his talking head, go to sleep loving the helmet just like HDN, but do it knowing you are part of the reason we keep from reaching our full potential.

P-A-THET-IC!

Wow, don't talk down to people or act better than anyone else...then immediately turn around and say the coach is AT BEST mediocre.

Hyprocrisy is running rampant around here.

This is what I've found out to be true for a lot of people on Hogville. "Respect everyone's opinion....as long as it's anti-Nutt."

That's it.  That's what you can get away with.  You can blast Houston Nutt until the cows come home, but say a word against Gus or Tulsa and your butt gets modded and banned quicker than Mitch changing his mind about where he wants to play football (4 times between his original committment and today).

I, for one, would like to see a little fairness and a little more objectivity.  But that's just me.

jaredndockery

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 19, 2007, 08:04:00 pm

No doubt Nutt had a better year (on the field) than Heath did this past season. But when you look at the last three years put together, it is not so clear. During that time, Nutt is 12-12 in conference games and Heath is 23-25. Moreover, if you look at overall records during the past three years, Nutt is just 19-17 (.528) while Heath is 61-36 (.629). Nutt has had two losing seasons while Heath has had none, during this span. During those same years, Nutt is 0-1 in the SEC championship game while Heath is 4-3 in the SEC tourney. Nutt has made a bowl game just once in the last three years whereas Heath has made the NCAA tourney twice. So it is pretty difficult to argue that Nutt is clearly the superior coach to Heath.

As for the "pass" which Nutt was given for the two losing seasons in 2004 and 2005 and how that "promise" must be honored, what about the "leak" of three weeks ago, which said that Heath would be fired if he didn't make the NCAA tournament? The implication of such language is that Heath would not be fired if he did make the tournament. Is Arkansas only to honor its deals with Nutt and not with Heath?

And then there is the issue of character. I don't remember (I may be wrong here; but I don't remember) any of Heath's players getting arrested. Heath was never accused by an ESPN analyst of misleading Arkansas about a supposed contract offer from Nebraska. Heath has never been accused of misleading recruits. No close family friend of Heath's, to our knowledge, has ever written hateful emails to his players. Nor, to our knowledge, has Heath ever snubbed one of assistant coaches the way Malzahn was snubbed.

Porkerpower

anyone?

I've ALWAYS told anyone who would listen that Nutt gets good talent.  Most of these teams he's had over the last 9 years have had very good, if not outstanding talent at some positions.
One of Hoostons many flaws however is his recruiting strategy.  Every year, we seem to have a crisis position we "must fill", and he loads up at that position to the point of OVERKILL, ignoring some other position with maybe only one recruit. 
This strategy is the perfect recipe for failure, never being able to field a COMPLETE team depth wise.  And in the tough SEC, you had better have some depth across the board.

Hooston has some very good assistants for the most part.

Danny Nutt to me is a very good backs coach.  Markason does a very good job with run blocking tech., witch is vital in Hooston's ultra conservative play calling.
Rocker and Herring are top notch.

It's none of that we all complain about.

It's Hooston's inability to manage and play call.  It brings our team down.  Holds us back.  Makes us underachieve.  Because we DO have talent.  That team in 2002-2003 really makes me particularly sick.  Matt Jones as a sophomore/junior.  You remember.  We were loaded for bear with talent those years, and Hooston single handily diffused any hope of greatness with his , well, Nuttiness. 

I told gopigsgo at Knoxville back in 2002 that to me, it was looking as if someone had told Matt Jones that "when a pass play is called, DO NOT JUST TAKE OFF AND RUN AT AT THE FIRST SIGN OF PRESSURE."  I jokingly said it looked like there was an imaginary electric fence at the line of scrimage and he could not pass thru it.  It was this way the entire season.  We got almost completely away from the down line triple option, the one play that we were introduced to MJ with his frosh season. Go back and watch the video. His frosh year, we REPEATEDLY ran it, with great success.

Go back and watch the tape if you have it.

Something happened with our offense between 2001 and 2002.  David Lee left for one.  As soon as he left, we pretty much quit running triple option with Matt. 

Hooston took over, and said so much in 2002, with a documented comment, something to the effect that "I want Matt to turn into more of a drop back passer." 

It was obvious to me that MJ got the Hooston "beat down" as far as running with the football.  Hooston wanted "the backs" to do the running.  And with our talent, WE DID.

But we could have been so much more explosive and tough to stop had he used Matt more in those 2 years on the corners.  We UNDER-ACHEIVED in this period thanks to HOOSTON.

Hooston legacy should read:

OVER-ACHEIVES

TO

UNDER-ACHEIVE

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 19, 2007, 08:10:21 pm
I agree. regardless of how you feel about Nutt, he saved his job this year. Regardless of the turmoil and how it affected the offseason. We should more be concerned about wins.  Nutt went 7-1 in the SEC while Heath went 7-9.  Heath has had his chance and he failed. If Nutt fails, then he will lose

I totally 100% agree with you.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!