Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Double Standards

Started by JustWinHog, March 12, 2007, 03:12:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JustWinHog

The basketball team just made it into the 65 team field. We went .500 in the SEC with a bunch of experienced players. That being said Hog fans are eccstatic. As I see it, this team is equivilant to a football team who went 4-4 in the SEC and 3-1 in Non Conference, so a 7-5 team that had to win their last 3 games to make a bowl game. They ended up in the independence Bowl.

My question is this. Why do I hear the masses complaining about us accepting mediocrity during Football season, but applauding mediocrity in basketball?

Where is the disconnect? Seems like a double standard, when in reality, given our tradition we should be much more competitive in basketball anyway.

If football had a playoff the Razorbacks would have been a 3 seed. Our basketball team is blessed to be a 12 seed, yet a majority of the fan base is upset with the progress of the football team and happy about the baskatball team?

I don't get it.

BigSnout

razorbackntexas

My personal opinion.....I think people are just upset over the disorganization of the football program. I mean, how do you lose two top tier players, AND a coach in one year?

I'm not hating on anything. I'm a razorback supporter....but you can't blame people for being tired of the crap.
Quote from: losthawg68 on June 03, 2010, 02:26:15 am
This dude has some superhot friends and his girl is also in the upper echelon of scenery.

JustWinHog

If we are going to talk about not accepting mediocrity, then how can this mediocre basketball team be exempt from the discussion.

OKhogfan1959

There is no use in trying to inform guys like you..You live in Nuttyworld...Nothing that the man has done to this point has made any impact on you..Nutt is a god to nutthuggers...End of story..Stan has more class and honesty in his pinky finger than Nutt will ever have...Huggers will do ANYTHING to make excuses for their boy.

BigSnout

March 12, 2007, 03:20:16 pm #5 Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:22:19 pm by BigSnout
Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:17:34 pm
If we are going to talk about not accepting mediocrity, then how can this mediocre basketball team be exempt from the discussion.

What ever you do just don't mention the baseball team.

JustWinHog

So, when the folks who want the coach gone can't complain about the on field performance they have to resort to off the field issues to make their case?

Mediocrity is mediocrity. The Nutt haters just put their own spin on it to suit their agenda.

Why not just judge a coach by the results on the field? You all can't do it, because then you have made a case for the coach you want out and against the coach you want to keep.

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:12:43 pm
The basketball team just made it into the 65 team field. We went .500 in the SEC with a bunch of experienced players. That being said Hog fans are eccstatic. As I see it, this team is equivilant to a football team who went 4-4 in the SEC and 3-1 in Non Conference, so a 7-5 team that had to win their last 3 games to make a bowl game. They ended up in the independence Bowl.

My question is this. Why do I hear the masses complaining about us accepting mediocrity during Football season, but applauding mediocrity in basketball?

Where is the disconnect? Seems like a double standard, when in reality, given our tradition we should be much more competitive in basketball anyway.

If football had a playoff the Razorbacks would have been a 3 seed. Our basketball team is blessed to be a 12 seed, yet a majority of the fan base is upset with the progress of the football team and happy about the baskatball team?

I don't get it.
I think it's a matter of the coach. People are polarized towards the Dale, and nothing is going to bridge that gap. While Heath being in over his head is debatable, people are more likely to pat him on the back just because he carries himself with more (perceived) class. As far as tradition, the ghosts of Scotty Thurman, Corliss, Scott Hastings, Sidney Moncreif, etc. do little for a current team. Those former legends aren't the ones taking the court. While tradition is good and should be recognized, it seems that in today's age of athletics (a want-it-now mentality), I don't think it translates to competitiveness, as every season is different. But I think I understand your original point.

jry04

I don't get it.
You messed up in your post right there. You cannot say this team hasn't been competitive. Other than a few losses, they competed hard in every game. They go to Florida and lose by 7. They go to Texas and lose by I believe 2. They beat a 4 seed SIU team. They only had 2 double digits losses to SEC schools, and both were the winners of their division. We had numerous double digit victories in SEC play though.

Don't confuse being competitive with being successful.

Also, in football making it to the independence bowl doesn't give you a banner or a championship. Making it to the NCAAT at least gives you a shot.

JustWinHog

So when I bring up a legitimate point, all of the nutt haters come out of the wood works to bash me personally? There is no normal debate about a real issue, instead it has to turn into a "Well, he likes Nutt, so lets attack him".

Honestly, I think we could do without either of the coaches. I just find it humorous that all of the nutt haters apply such different standards, and the minute someone comes on the board questioning why heath and nutt are held to different standards, he gets hammered.

It is almost impossible to have a legitimate discussion on this board. The Haters don't have anything legitimate to say, so they just blast anyone who thinks that nutt's 7-1 conference record was better than Heath's 7-9 conference record. Its amusing.

JustWinHog

You took the word "competitive" out of context. read the 2 words prior to the word competitive. "Much More" i never said we weren't competitive, i said that we should be "Much More" competitive given our traidition and facilities when compared to the rest of the SEC. We are #1 in basketball facilities and #2 in basketball tradition among SEC schools.

twistitup

I don't get it.

Basketball happens to have a tournament where the slate is wiped clean for all, football doesn't have an end of the year tournament, thus each regular season game means a lot.....the goal of a basketball team is to make it to the tournament, then give 100% to make a run at the NC, in football you are judged by EVERY game- not a double standard, just reality.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogsanity

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:28:11 pm
So when I bring up a legitimate point, all of the nutt haters come out of the wood works to bash me personally? There is no normal debate about a real issue, instead it has to turn into a "Well, he likes Nutt, so lets attack him".

Honestly, I think we could do without either of the coaches. I just find it humorous that all of the nutt haters apply such different standards, and the minute someone comes on the board questioning why heath and nutt are held to different standards, he gets hammered.

It is almost impossible to have a legitimate discussion on this board. The Haters don't have anything legitimate to say, so they just blast anyone who thinks that nutt's 7-1 conference record was better than Heath's 7-9 conference record. Its amusing.

Go back and read the comments about HDn before last season.  It was all about mediocrity.  The majority of complaints were about the w/l record, and on field performance.  Then, when the chips started falling, the reasons he should be fired became all about the off field stuff.  So now, with some success on the court, they cant go after Heath for that, and there is nothing off the court to go after him on either. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jst01

I don't get it.

Heath lost Brewer, Modica, and Ferguson.  Had to replace pretty much 80% of the scoring.  Pretend that Nutt didnt have Felix Jones, Monk, or Sam Oluj. this past year, would he have had the same kind of year??(3 of the best and key players I would say) cant put DMac in there cuz he is in a class on his own. 

JustWinHog

So, as long as we make the tourney every year, meaning that we are supposedly one of the top 65 teams in the country each year, even if we lose in the first round every year, that is not mediocre, that is acceptable becasue it is basketball?

no one

I want Nutt gone but agree with you.  I want both coaches gone.  I Like Heath (don't actually know either personally) better by the way he handles himself.  But, I think both are mediocre at best.  Nut has actually gotten to a point with me (and many others) that even 10 wins seems sour.  Nutt should have been fired a year or two ago and Heath needs to be shown the door now.  The only way this team has gotten hot (coach's job, not PTB) was when Heath's head was on the chopping block.  I would be more receptive to him having another year if we had won the SEC, not just danced, (badly).

JustWinHog

So in 2 years when Nutt loses Monk, Hillis, and Felix Jones then you will accept mediocrity because he lost 3 good players?

kgr

Hey doesn't competitive basketball games count the same as moral victories in football?

Heath has had 5 yrs. and took over a program with a bare cupboard and a racial lawsuit ongoing.

Nutt has had 9 yrs. and took over a program with talent and he has squandered many of those 9 years.  And he got a 2 yr. pass. 

Where is Coach Heath's 2 yr. pass.

No we are applying the same standard, you are just hugged up against the nutt man you can't see it.

By the way, I am glad that our true Razorback Fan posts amuse you.  I will gladly write more and with more vitriol if it gives you so much pleasure.  All you need do is ask and I will oblige.

JustWinHog

kgr- I would very much like for you to post more. I love it baby. i love it.

jst01

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:37:00 pm
So in 2 years when Nutt loses Monk, Hillis, and Felix Jones then you will accept mediocrity because he lost 3 good players?

When Nutt has to replace 80% of production in 1 year I will be logical and not expect to win the SEC.

no one

Quote from: jst01 on March 12, 2007, 03:41:19 pm

When Nutt has to replace 80% of production in 1 year I will be logical and not expect to win the SEC.

When would you expect him TO win?  He hasn't yet. 

JustWinHog

You can't compare the personel losses in football to basketball. 2 good recruits is all you need to make a basketball team a winner. Plus, freshman can contribute more in basketball than football, almost without exception.

JustWinHog

I didn't say he has won big, i only say he has won more than heath.

HogSophist

Heath conducts himself with class and has not turned the BBall team into a walking soap opera. btw, only 19% of div 1 teams make the dance, while 50% of football make a bowl.

my .02
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

RazorsEdge

I don't like Nutt and want him gone.  I don't care about his record last year or his record next year.  What he did this year regarding Malzahn, Mustain, Williams etc. just added fuel to my already roaring fire.  I think he is a rah rah type coach and the "together we can move a mountain" speech is losing it's effectiveness.  I would like to see an offense that would give us a chance to win games when we are outmanned up front.  I don't like Nutt and want him gone, it doesn't have anything to do with Stan Heath.

JustWinHog

So Hogsophist, in your opinion on the field performance doesn't matter as long as the coach is a nice guy? Once again, you can't argue the wins and losses so you have to resort to off the field issues.

Michaelt

March 12, 2007, 03:48:26 pm #26 Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:14:05 pm by ballhog24
Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:21:00 pm
So, when the folks who want the coach gone can't complain about the on field performance they have to resort to off the field issues to make their case?

You want justifications of on field performance: Ok...

Benching a starting quarterback who is 8-0
Not having a better than average passing game to go with the running game so the running backs aren't worn down at the end of the season; see SECCG and The Cap One Bowl.
Not making sure that your punt returner knows to put his heels on the ten yard line, and anything that goes over his head, he leaves alone.
A predictable offense
Losing three games that should have been won; games were lost because of preperation and coaching, period. Talent won 8+ games, coaching should have won 2-3 more, but did not.

I'm not making a case FOR the basketball team, but you said there were no on field reasons...

Off the field reasons are just as important as on field. How our coaches treat, lead, and care for their athletes is just as important as how they prepare them for games.

That is one area that HDN has been terrible with.
Mediocrity is mediocrity. The Nutt haters just put their own spin on it to suit their agenda.

Why not just judge a coach by the results on the field? You all can't do it, because then you have made a case for the coach you want out and against the coach you want to keep.

The haters on either side will spin what they want to make what argument they want. There are many who are not fully on one side or the other, but can see when things are not right...
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

ShellHog

Quote from: no one on March 12, 2007, 03:43:14 pm
Quote from: jst01 on March 12, 2007, 03:41:19 pm

When would you expect him TO win?  He hasn't yet. 

Please define WIN??  HDN has won more than any coach before him in football (SEC Conf).....He has certianly won more than Heath in the SEC.  Wonder what Van Horn's SEC record is?  Wouldn't suprise me if they are close to the same, but maybe not.

stevenglennn

Your argument does have merit, even if I do not agree.  My primary disagreement is with your central thesis, that being in the top 65 is mediocre in basketball.   Consider the number of teams playing NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball 334, against the number of NCAA Football Bowl Division Teams, 119.  In this year's bracket 65 of the 334 basketball teams make post season play.  In the previous post season 64 of the 119 football teams made the post season.  The percentages are my argument against the top 65 in basketball being simply ordinary.     
The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting a different result: like an off tackle play on third down and long.

JustWinHog

Ballhog- I don't disagree with any of your points. All very valid reasons why you might want nutt gone. I might argue that the offense was not the problem this year, but that is another discussion. My point is this. if you are going to hold Nutt acountable for all of these issues on the field then how can you turn the other way when Heath's on the field performance is even worse?

Lastly, I hear folks gripe about how Nutt can't recruit and then I hear them say that we had so much talent that the players won the games in spite of the coaching, and if the coaches were any good we would have won more. So what is it? nutt can't recruit? or nutt can't coach his very talented team to more than 10 wins?

markmchog

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:35:05 pm
So, as long as we make the tourney every year, meaning that we are supposedly one of the top 65 teams in the country each year, even if we lose in the first round every year, that is not mediocre, that is acceptable becasue it is basketball?

After last season, Heath said this year's team should make it back to the NCAA Tourney and win a game. He said that knowing that he would need to replace about 70% of the scoring from last year. So far he has not failed to do what he said. Why don't you hold off on the double standard talk until Saturday.

We may have to if Nutt asks for another 2 yr. pass.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine, 1776

hogsanity

Quote from: ballhog24 on March 12, 2007, 03:48:26 pm
Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:21:00 pm

You want justifications of on field performance: Ok...

Benching a starting quarterback who is 8-0
Not having a better than average passing game to go with the running game so the running backs aren't worn down at the end of the season; see SECCG and The Cap One Bowl.
Not making sure that your punt returner knows to put his heels on the ten yard line, and anything that goes over his head, he leaves alone.
A predictable offense
Losing three games that should have been won; games were lost because of preperation and coaching, period. Talent won 8+ games, coaching should have won 2-3 more, but did not.

I'm not making a case FOR the basketball team, but you said there were no on field reasons...

Off the field reasons are just as important as on field. How our coaches treat, lead, and care for their athletes is just as important as how they prepare them for games.

That is one area that HDN has been terrible with.

[/quote]

On filed or on court performance has been measured 1 way since they started playing games.............WINS and LOSSES.  And that is a valid gripe agaionst both Heath and HDN.  The rest, imo, is just what people throw out when they see that the W's and L's are not going to get the coach removed. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

inhognation

I don't get it.
Let's see, there are more than 300 Div 1 BB teams, and slightly more than 100 DIV 1 Football teams.  Almost 50% of the teams get into Bowl games.  Only 20% make it into the NCAA team.  I think we are ecstatic that we are in the tournament, but I think that few people think that this team was as good as it could be, or that the football team was as good as it could be this year.  Look at the finish.  BB team at least won 5 of their last six and give us new hope for the NCAA, where as FB team lost their last 3 after winning 10 in a row.

JustWinHog

Stevenglenn. I hear what you are saying, and we could debate it all day long, however you have to admit that some mediocre teams get in the tourney each year, just like mediocre teams play in bowl games.

My original point is that Nutt's performance this year was far superior to Heath's yet heath is praised and Nutt is hated.

JustWinHog

The football team lost their last 3 games to the national Champion, the Sugar Bowl Champion and the big ten Champion. The basketball team won its last five out of 6 to a better than avergae but still 20-30 nationally ranked vandy team, a mediocre miss state team twice, and a bad south carolina team....Its not apples to apples.

Do you really think we win our last 5 basketball games if we played Carolina, O State, UCLA, kansas, and the Florida? I am afraid we would have lost all 5 by 10 or more.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: OKhogfan1959 on March 12, 2007, 03:18:36 pm
There is no use in trying to inform guys like you..You live in Nuttyworld...Nothing that the man has done to this point has made any impact on you..Nutt is a god to nutthuggers...End of story..Stan has more class and honesty in his pinky finger than Nutt will ever have...Huggers will do ANYTHING to make excuses for their boy.

Wow, did you tell him. 
HDN  10-2 against the SEC this year
Stan 10-10 against the SEC this year

JustWinHog

actually nutt was 7-2 vs the SEC. but I get your drift.

hogsrmyfav36

You can't compare the basketball program to the football program using that rationale.  It's just not the same.  Fact is, if there's ever any kind of playoff in Div. 1 football entry into that playoff will be contingent on winning your bowl game.  Notice HDN's bowl record since he came. 

When the media reported that Heath's job was on the line, he didn't put a bunch of spin in the media or go on a talk-radio show.  He somehow got his team to play better and win.
F&*!NG INTRANET

markmchog

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 04:05:19 pm
The football team lost their last 3 games to the national Champion, the Sugar Bowl Champion and the big ten Champion. The basketball team won its last five out of 6 to a better than avergae but still 20-30 nationally ranked vandy team, a mediocre miss state team twice, and a bad south carolina team....Its not apples to apples.

Do you really think we win our last 5 basketball games if we played Carolina, O State, UCLA, kansas, and the Florida? I am afraid we would have lost all 5 by 10 or more.

You're right, It's not apples to apples. Do you think the football team would have only lost two conference games if they had to play ALL the Eastern Div. teams and the other Western Div. teams home and home last season?
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine, 1776

BennyBlancofromtheRock

The difference is that Stan has improved every year, and done it with class.

Houston had his best year in his first year then 8 years later he lucks up with a ten win season but still no BCS and suddenly all his forgiven despite the fact that he is an a poor ambassador for the University and the State. If hooten got to stay after two years of garbage and Stan heath get's the boot after two better years than nutt's that would truly be the double standard.

Run and tell somebody!

Red Tusk

How did this team finish the year? we won 5 in a row  How did the football team finish the year? lost 3 in a row. Personally, I believe making the field of 65 equates to a New Years Day Bowl or BCS. You can't compare football and bball. Do bball players get fed plays every trip down the floor? No..for the most part, they're on their own aside from whistles and time outs.

Back to the 3 losses in fball, the main reason we lost those three games was due to not developing a passing game. Who's to blame for not developing a passing game? The head coach. It was his choice not to.

Would Stan Heath purposely not develop a part of our game plan in bball? I know he had trouble getting a PG but once he did, he turned him loose, sometimes to our demise, but hell, he's a PG. 
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

JustWinHog

In 5 years, heath has never been able to motivate his team to over achieve, until it was made public his job was on the line. Then and only then did his team respond.

Michaelt

Quote from: JustWinHog on March 12, 2007, 03:53:16 pm
Ballhog- I don't disagree with any of your points. All very valid reasons why you might want nutt gone. I might argue that the offense was not the problem this year, but that is another discussion. My point is this. if you are going to hold Nutt acountable for all of these issues on the field then how can you turn the other way when Heath's on the field performance is even worse?

You are assuming that I have turned the other way, which I haven't, but I can understand your point.

If you want to keep it at just "on field/court performance" then both coaches should be shown the door because they have not led either Razorback program to the level that a majority of fans were accustomed to in prior years/decades.

I think the feeling at the moment is that Heath is showing a little more potential AND; he is doing so with a manner of honor and decorum, which many believe HDN has lost, or never really had to begin with. HDN's off the field theatrics has really brought on a stain of disgrace to the program in manys eyes; and that in conjunction with the inability to take this team further in nine seasons is what is playing heavily on many fans minds.

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

joebut18

Quote from: OKhogfan1959 on March 12, 2007, 03:18:36 pm

Unbelievable....

hogsNbeer

The only double standard is the lambasting of Heath in his 5th year vs the love fest over Nutt in his 9th.....

jhogfan554

I think there are just toomany differences here to call anything apples to apples. BB vesus FB, 5 - 7 players in a game compared to 30-35 per game in FB, NCAA playoff versus no playoff. The only things in common - no matter how much coaching is done - the players execute or they don't, the other team outmans you or they don't, breaks go your way or they don't; every game at least one or more players are going to make mistakes even though you have coached them not to. There are winners and losers for every game. % wise, at this point HDN won more games this season than Stan did, getting to a Jan bowl is 5 wise better than making the NCAA. IF we keep Stan, it should be based on Stan and his results. Nothing else makes any sense.

jry04

I don't know if you are talking to me, but I never once bashed you and I am not a Nutt hater. I have actually been drilled many times on this site for supporting Nutt. Just look at some of my posts on this board. However, making the Independence Bowl is nothing like making the NCAAT. You actually have a chance to win a championship in the post season by making that, you don't by making the Independence Bowl. I understand what you are saying, but you have to keep in mind there are more games in college basketball so there is more of a chance to lose. Also, there is more parity in college basketball than football so you can't really compare records and wins and losses between the two sports. You aren't going to say a mid-major beat a top 10 team in CFB too often, but it could happen on any given night in college basketball.

Hollywood_HOGan

I don't get it.

because nutt's an a hole

d1nonlyhogfan

I don't get it.
Where was Houston Nutt in January of 2006? Sitting at home, wishing he was bowling. Where was Stan Heath in March of 2006? Nearly beating #1 seed Florida in the SEC tournament and then playing in the NCAAT. Stan Heath has consistently improved, while Houston Nutt has only had 3 mildly successful seasons in 9. Why does 1 good season of football overturn 3 awful seasons in a row?
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Pork Twain

March 12, 2007, 07:50:15 pm #49 Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:07:41 pm by BeoPig

I don't get it.
We went 7-9, not .500.  That means Stan went below .500 (.437) in the SEC this year and his team got hot at the right time and beat usc, Vandy and Miss St before getting spanked by Florida.  We made it into the Tourny by the skin of our teeth and most do not think we should be there.  The thing that bothers me the most about Stan is the inconsistency.  Just look at our record before our hot streak. W/L/L/L/W/L/W/L/W/L/L/W/L/L and some of those losses were to teams we should have beat.  That is coaching.  I want us to destroy the Trojans when we play but I am afraid this will be another 1 and done for the hogs.  I am not happy with just making it to the NCAA. 

I am tired of the, "well he lost three players".  Guess what, we replaced them with better players.  Good teams replace great players every year and just keep on rolling.  Why can't we???

I just miss the Nolan days when we beat the teams we shouldn't and destroyed the teams we should beat.  That was before 1996, when he became complacent.

I guess since HDN is JFB's "YES" man we should be stuck with two coaches that have yet to get it done.  It is like having a cavity that is a dull, throbbing pain and you keep putting off going to the dentist because it is one of your front teeth (canine) and you kinda like it and then all of a sudden you get this sharp pain in one of your back teeth (molar), but you say to yourself, "I cannot go to the dentist for the molar because that just would not be fair to the canine.  That makes no sense to me.  You go to the dentist and get them both fixed ASAP but you fix them individually and not as a pair, because they are not linked.

It is great to come on here when the big news is breaking but after that I really have to ration myself because you guys LOVE to beat a dead horse.  Why do you continue to link SH to HDN and act like one has to be fired for the other.  Last I checked they were two different sport and the one I really like is the smart guy that said getting into the NCAA = a BCS game.  How many teams go to the NCAA and how many go to a BCS bowl???  No, the NCAA = any ole Bowl game...

I choose not to be happy with just making it to the NCAA, just like I choose not to be happy just making a bowl game this year.  Who cares if you make it if you get beat every time you go?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/