Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is what Sports Illustrated and ESPN are saying about Heath................

Started by redbarn, March 09, 2007, 06:38:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PulledPork

yep, fire the guy with back to back 20 win seasons, hold onto the guy with back to back losing seasons.....Jesse and Al are licking their chops on this one!!

Pulled out...

WilsonHog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2007, 07:38:27 pm
Quote from: polandhog on March 09, 2007, 07:12:10 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2007, 07:06:36 pm
Quote from: polandhog on March 09, 2007, 07:04:59 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2007, 07:00:37 pm
There is one possibility here that might be win-win for several people. If we can make the NCAAs and win a game, Minnesota might be sold on Heath. I imagine that Stan might be ready to go back close to home.   

I'll answer the same way everyone answers re: Bill self...

WHY?

WHY leave with a  LOADED TEAM for next year???  he ain't from 'sota, he's from DETROIT.

Which is why I said "close to home."

The fact is that whether we like it or not the decision may have already been made. "Fair" ain't got nothing to do with it.

so say BYE BYE to pat bev

No player or coach is bigger than the program.  Good luck to P Bev if that is what he would decide.  If he wants to give up a year of his career to sit out somewhere than play for possibly(and hopefully) a better coach then I wish him well.

I'll simply say it this way: intercollegiate athletics is not a democracy.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: PulledPork on March 09, 2007, 07:38:05 pm
yep, fire the guy with back to back 20 win seasons, hold onto the guy with back to back losing seasons.....Jesse and Al are licking their chops on this one!!

Pulled out...
Well put PulledPork.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: HawgG on March 09, 2007, 07:11:03 pm
SI and ESPN is reporting a lot of rumors that will prove to be nothing but that by this weekend.

While the UA administration is pitiful they are not going to fire this man now.

If Heath loses his job then the UA will not only lose the players on the team, but they will get b%$#h slapped by the National media, by the BCA, by the NAACP, and by other coaches that will stand up for Heath.

The only contract the UA is working on now is an extention for Heath, not a buyout.

The UA don't want to start a fire they can't put out.

It sounds to me like the Administration put the cart before the horse here.  They expected this team to crumble and the exact opposite happened.

You know what I say?  GO HOGS GO!!!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

kyledeen

Quote from: polandhog on March 09, 2007, 06:48:55 pm
Quote from: Shoe Strings on March 09, 2007, 06:48:20 pm
I hope they win the tournament for two reasons.  First, because they're playing with the "fire in the belly" and I'm a hog fan.  Secondly, because, just like Nolan did in 99, it'll drive ol' Frank crazy, having to keep him around.  Plus, an added bonus, it'll put the real heat back on HDN, where it should have been all along.

super salty

+1
...Buy the ticket, Take the ride...

can't wait to see the backsliding when we win 11-12 next year

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: js1717 on March 09, 2007, 06:54:51 pm
This is one of the strangest situations I have seen in a while.

1. The team is on a roll
2. They just won 20 games
3. The school is preparing your buyout during all of this.

It sounds like Heath is d--ned if he does, d--ned if he doesn't.  Not much confidence in the coach if they are working the buyout and SI is reporting it while they are a roll.

I'm not the biggest Heath fan in the world by far, but it's hard to knock him and the team's effort right now.

I hate to repeat what others have said, but fact is, 20 wins doesn't  mean much when you have a losing conference record.

I mean, we've had enough cupcakes to open a bakery.

polandhog

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on March 09, 2007, 08:07:38 pm

1. The team is on a roll

It sounds like Heath is d--ned if he does, d--ned if he doesn't.  Not much confidence in the coach if they are working the buyout and SI is reporting it while they are a roll.

I'm not the biggest Heath fan in the world by far, but it's hard to knock him and the team's effort right now.

I hate to repeat what others have said, but fact is, 20 wins doesn't  mean much when you have a losing conference record.

except, we are 9-9 right now in the SEC.  beat msu and we're guaranteed either 11-9 or 10-10.

PulledPork

Quote from: prairiehogcompanion on March 09, 2007, 08:07:38 pm

1. The team is on a roll

10 wins doesn't mean much when you lose the last 3......just sayin.

Pulled out...

HawgWyld

Quote from: football17 on March 09, 2007, 06:43:12 pm
20 games means nothing. Geeze. They're on a 4-game winning streak. Big whoopity do.

Lose tomorrow and Heath is gone and no NCAA Tournament. Heck, I think he may be gone regardless what happens.

Some of you are going overboard.
Hey, if Nutt's cronies can howl WE WON 10 GAMES for a few months, certainly Stan can crow about winning 20, right?

Of course, he's not the kind to hog the credit for his team's achievements, but still...

WASAHAWG70

SH deserves 10 more years as the head bb coach if HDN gets one more as fb coach. SH has more class and more respect from his peers and players than HDN gets from his wife.

SiriusHog™

dont ya just know that old HDorkN is beside himself, worrying about stan getting off the hook... I happen to believe that resignation/firing day is coming soon... I may run down to the drug store and keep an eye out for 'ol H in the aisle that has the Immodium AD ;)

hawgbawb

If the Hogs win another SECT game and/or an NCAA game Heath stays, IMO. He has recruited well and player develpoment has been pretty good too. The only missing ingredient seems to have been having players that are truly committed to team. They have the core in place to have a very good team next year.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

HawgTide

Stan is a great guy,I just wish he was a better coach.The Arkansas program is too good to settle for an average coach.And yes,look at Stan's road record, SEC record, and overall record at Arkansas and tell me how he can be considered a top notch coach.Good luck to Stan somewhere else unless he goes to the Big Dance this year and wins at least one game.We deserve better.

SiriusHog™

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on March 09, 2007, 08:33:55 pm
Stan is a great guy,I just wish he was a better coach.The Arkansas program is too good to settle for an average coach.And yes,look at Stan's road record, SEC record, and overall record at Arkansas and tell me how he can be considered a top notch coach.Good luck to Stan somewhere else unless he goes to the Big Dance this year and wins at least one game.We deserve better.

still amazing to me that people jump on Heath for not getting us into title contention in 5 years... yet are satisfied with Nutt for keeping up mediocre for 10 years... amazing..

stronguard

There is one possibility here that might be win-win for several people. If we can make the NCAAs and win a game, Minnesota might be sold on Heath. I imagine that Stan might be ready to go back close to home.  

Sold.  I'll take it.

STANLEY must go.......Sweet 16 or somewhere else.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Qbackinman

Based on how they're playing...

!. Keep Heath
2. About the third or fourth game next year, start talking about how Heath's going to get fired.
3. Watch media-blaming Hogs go on massive win streak to NCAA Final Four.

jeffisahog

we are on a roll i dare them to let us in the dance,we may win it all go hogs

mcb

HogFan1973

Quote from: SiriusHog™ on March 09, 2007, 08:35:43 pm
Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on March 09, 2007, 08:33:55 pm

still amazing to me that people jump on Heath for not getting us into title contention in 5 years... yet are satisfied with Nutt for keeping up mediocre for 10 years... amazing..

It is quite amazing isn't it.  It is actually commical.  Maybe even more commical than that though, is that the University is actually, according to ESPN and SI, getting the buyout money ready.  This University is amazing, and FB isn't even in control of the AD anymore.

Tusks

So if the UA has the chance to land a Bill Self it should take it but pass on the lock to get Butch Davis after the 05 season.

If that's not Arkansas'ish I don't know what is.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

CoachHogT

Guys, dont worry, my sources are telling me we will win the SEC tournament

in 48 hours........

John Futrall

Quote from: polandhog on March 09, 2007, 07:12:10 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2007, 07:06:36 pm
Quote from: polandhog on March 09, 2007, 07:04:59 pm

I'll answer the same way everyone answers re: Bill self...

WHY?

WHY leave with a  LOADED TEAM for next year???  he ain't from 'sota, he's from DETROIT.

Which is why I said "close to home."

The fact is that whether we like it or not the decision may have already been made. "Fair" ain't got nothing to do with it.

so say BYE BYE to pat bev

I hear that if Heath goes, PB will go to USC to be with Damien, Mitch, and.........

wait, now I'm confused ;)

CoachHogT

I think Bev commented today saying he is going to stay at the UA regardless......

didn't hear it myself, but my friend whom I watched the game with did.

Rsvlhog

Quote from: nutted on March 09, 2007, 09:36:57 pm
So if the UA has the chance to land a Bill Self it should take it but pass on the lock to get Butch Davis after the 05 season.

This is true. Sad but true. There is a double standard up there. Also where are all the people who argue to not boycott football games because of the players. Evidently it is OK if it's the basketball team judging by the attendance as of late. This is proof that attendance matters as Heath has taken the heat and Nutt continues on because of people scared to lose their seniority on the ticket seating chart.
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

mcb

Do's anyone know if ES or NR took a team to the ncaat there frist 5 years being at ARK? And if not why is SH getting all the heat?

SiriusHog™

Quote from: mcb on March 09, 2007, 09:49:36 pm
Do's anyone know if ES or NR took a team to the ncaat there frist 5 years being at ARK? And if not why is SH getting all the heat?

i think nolan went.. maybe in year 3?  not quite sure... dont know at all about sutton..

LZH

Someone please tell me why Bill Self would even consider coming to the U of A?

slopinhogs

if you believe what sports illustrarted says you need a shrink. these guys will call a walnut a baseball.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Rsvlhog on March 09, 2007, 09:48:24 pm

This is true. Sad but true. There is a double standard up there. Also where are all the people who argue to not boycott football games because of the players. Evidently it is OK if it's the basketball team judging by the attendance as of late. This is proof that attendance matters as Heath has taken the heat and Nutt continues on because of people scared to lose their seniority on the ticket seating chart.

Which proves the point I've made many times.  Football is King in Arkansas.  Basketball is a nice diversion (if we're winning) to pass some of the time while we wait for football season.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Rsvlhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 09, 2007, 09:56:04 pm
Quote from: Rsvlhog on March 09, 2007, 09:48:24 pm

Which proves the point I've made many times.  Football is King in Arkansas.  Basketball is a nice diversion (win we're winning) to pass some of the time while we wait for football season.

And also since we have had success in basketball it is held to a higher standard. Nutt seems to be ok as long as we aren't doing like the "Ford & Crow era". 10 wins is a highly successful season and 20 wins in basketball ain't no big deal but the Vegas Bowl or Music City Bowl is swell but the NIT is a disgrace.

M6

Old news. That's been known since last year when they restructed and gave him an extension. It was in the paper here weeks ago. A ladder has many rungs. Stairs have many steps. The first is the important one. Stan was the first step to stopping the downward spiral and rebuilding. If he leaves it is not with any shame.

TOM "tbw1"

Both did in their third year.  Both started with empty cupboards.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

M6

Rsvlhog. I don't understand is that pro or con stan. Oh and by the way your tag line. The wildcat was used by florida before Gus showed up. It's history goes way back. Calling the play is not a stroke of genius for anyone. The wildcat was successful because of Darren McFadden. No Gus did not invent the wildcat. He called the play as did Urban Meyer and a lot of others. In fact with a running quarterback like Mike Vick you run it nearly every down. Matt Jones ran the wildcat a lot. The only difference was he was a QB before he was a RB. Al Gore wrote all the major bills to fund the military arpanet. He was riducled at times in congress for putting all the time and effort into it. He pushed and pushed and pushed The arpanet until it was rolled out. Then he funded it over and over. The military used it for years. Colleges were allowed to use it. They continued the growth and it became the internet. Invented may not be the right word. But he was a primary reason the internet came to be. Sorry to divert to this tangent but your tagline is assuming something that is not so.

cosmodrum

Stan will be back. If we get to the SECCG, win or lose, I think we'll slide into the tourney.

I think the MSU game will determine which one of us will go to the NCAAT. Big game tomorrow.
Go away, batin'

LZH

Quote from: M6 on March 09, 2007, 10:22:38 pm
Rsvlhog. I don't understand is that pro or con stan. Oh and by the way your tag line. The wildcat was used by florida before Gus showed up. It's history goes way back. Calling the play is not a stroke of genius for anyone. The wildcat was successful because of Darren McFadden. No Gus did not invent the wildcat. He called the play as did Urban Meyer and a lot of others. In fact with a running quarterback like Mike Vick you run it nearly every down. Matt Jones ran the wildcat a lot. The only difference was he was a QB before he was a RB. Al Gore wrote all the major bills to fund the military arpanet. He was riducled at times in congress for putting all the time and effort into it. He pushed and pushed and pushed The arpanet until it was rolled out. Then he funded it over and over. The military used it for years. Colleges were allowed to use it. They continued the growth and it became the internet. Invented may not be the right word. But he was a primary reason the internet came to be. Sorry to divert to this tangent but your tagline is assuming something that is not so.

I think we're using the same narcotics.

mcb

There a some people  that are obsessed with the  HN story. Can not get it off there minds not even when talking about BB and SH. Football is football and BB is BB. What ever happens to HN happens to HN. What ever happens to SH happens to SH. Thy do not have anything to do with the other.  I for one am trying to defind the reputation of the sports program at the UA, not help HN or SH. But if there are thing being said that do not sound right about the way things are being quoited by someone I will challenge it because it can hart the sports program. GO Hogs win the SECT. :razorback:

mcb

Quote from: tbw1 on March 09, 2007, 10:17:18 pm

Do you know where I can find ES & NR record on the net ? i have googled it but can't find it. :razorback:

HogsGranpa

Yep, Eddie Sutton, 2nd Year.   Do not remember Nolan's first, but I believe it was 4th or 5th year.

mao

QuoteYou can't fire him!!  He won 20 games!!  20 GAMES!!!!

Shut Up!! Just STFU!!

RedSatinHog

Having this happening with our team playing like it is looks very bad for the team, the school, and the state.

It was different with Nutt.  He has made a complete buffoon every time the spot light has shown upon him.  He took the UA to what is equal to 3 NIT appearances (UNLV Bowl, Grand Ole Opry Bowl, Weedeater Bowl) before going thru back-to-back losing seasons.  Sorry folks.  That accounts for more than half his stay on the hill.  All that is in addition to the shady, underhanded crap he's been caught redhanded doing as of late.

Heath has never been anything but humble and a complete gentleman since before he ever arrived at Arkansas.  The team now has BACK TO BACK 20-win seasons, and firing him would be a HUGE mistake.

It is nice to see that there are folks who are coming on board with what I said would happen several weeks ago, though.  I still say that Heath will be introduced at Minnesota shortly after his last game at this season, and I don't blame him one bit for leaving.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Rsvlhog

It is not pro or con Stan it is for a level standard for both and all coaches. I do like Stan for his integrity and class win or lose. If the university decides to replace him I only hope we get another man with as much class as him. I don't think it would be fair though if he goes and Nutt stays. As for my tag line it does not say that Gus invented the wildcat I know about the history of the wildcat dating back over fifty years ago. It states that Danny Nutt did not come up with the idea as Nutt implied during the season. I believe it was Gus's idea as was the other tricks and schemes that are typical of a Gus offense such as the Reggie Fish play and others. I haven't seen anything like that from Danny since he has been there so I don't believe Houston when he tells us after hiring a offensive coordinator with a brain that Danny all of a sudden has a brain storm. Remember the I called that play brotha comment after the audible? As for Al Gore as it says he did not invent the internet as he has said. I didn't say it he did. He is also not back in Tennessee mending fences like he said. Last time I heard he was hanging around Harlem with slick Willie. Thanks for the history lesson anyway though.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: mcb on March 09, 2007, 10:33:40 pm
Quote from: tbw1 on March 09, 2007, 10:17:18 pm

Do you know where I can find ES & NR record on the net ? i have googled it but can't find it. :razorback:

Correct about Nolan.  His first team at the UA finished with a losing season.  The second one went to the NIT and narrowly beat ASU (yes THAT ASU!) before going to Nebraska and losing rather handily.  His third team lost in the NCAAT first round to Villanova.

As far as Heath getting all the heat, it's because UA fans are hungry to return to the national spotlight.  Unfortunately, in acting the way we've been acting toward Heath as of late, we're NOT getting the spotlight we'd hoped for.

mcb

Doesn't a school or coach from another school have to get permission to contact a coach at a another school and doesn't the coach  have to report that he has been contacted by that school/coach?

oldtimerhog

If anyone gets bought out, it better be Who...ston Dale Nutt.  The fans won't stand for Heath getting the shaft while Nutt stays.  Nutt had back to back losing seasons in his rebuilding year(s).  Heath has won 20 games while rebuilding this year and shown a level of integrity that HDN will never attain.  And besides, Stan would never hire David Lee to cover his rear!  Fire Nutt now, give Heath one more year.  He has earned it.  
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

HogsGranpa

Quote from: Rsvlhog on March 09, 2007, 10:46:41 pm

It is not pro or con Stan it is for a level standard for both and all coaches. I do like Stan for his integrity and class win or lose. If the university decides to replace him I only hope we get another man with as much class as him. I don't think it would be fair though if he goes and Nutt stays. As for my tag line it does not say that Gus invented the wildcat I know about the history of the wildcat dating back over fifty years ago. It states that Danny Nutt did not come up with the idea as Nutt implied during the season. I believe it was Gus's idea as was the other tricks and schemes that are typical of a Gus offense such as the Reggie Fish play and others. I haven't seen anything like that from Danny since he has been there so I don't believe Houston when he tells us after hiring a offensive coordinator with a brain that Danny all of a sudden has a brain storm. Remember the I called that play brotha comment after the audible? As for Al Gore as it says he did not invent the internet as he has said. I didn't say it he did. He is also not back in Tennessee mending fences like he said. Last time I heard he was hanging around Harlem with slick Willie. Thanks for the history lesson anyway though.
Gus Malzahn came up with the Wildcat formation.  Danny Nutt suggested Darren McFadden as tailback/quarterback to run it.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: mcb on March 09, 2007, 11:00:03 pm
Doesn't a school or coach from another school have to get permission to contact a coach at a another school and doesn't the coach  have to report that he has been contacted by that school/coach?

Yes, normally they do so, but you'd be crazy to think the UA would not grant that permission. 

I have been saying for weeks that Heath would be a great fit for Minnesota.  Heck, even Penn State would be a good fit for him.

oldtimerhog

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 09, 2007, 11:04:16 pm

Gus Malzahn came up with the Wildcat formation.  Danny Nutt suggested Darren McFadden as tailback/quarterback to run it.

Are you sure DN is that smart?
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Rsvlhog

Quote from: HogsGranpa on March 09, 2007, 11:04:16 pm

So sayeth Houston Dale Nutt. It must be the way it all came about. ::) Have you heard the story about HDN when he was a yougster and he cut down his father's cherry tree? Man that one would bring a tear to a glass eye. :D

mcb

Has any school ask to talk to SH. And did TU ask to talk to Gus? :razorback:

mcb