Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Stan done enough???

Started by Mr. Porkleone, March 09, 2007, 05:26:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

did this save his job or will the last 5 years be looked at....

cal34

Mr. Prozac

Ahhhhh. The $64,000 question.

Hogtropolis™

carhog

We are winning in spite of stan not because of him

Hog Fan from Camden

polandhog

he's here.  rumor is it was announced we would play the NIT with stan as coach had we lost.........

Boner

I think he's won enough to not be fired and have a coaching search.  Ifa top coach actually wants the job, and we know that, then we can still let him go.

But I don't see us firing him without 100% knowing a top coach would be replacing him.

longtimeHogfan

Personally, and I am by no means an expert, I think he could be as close to the precipice as I've ever seen any coach, anywhere.  The team is showing more chemistry than they have all year and they're jelling at exactly the right moment. 

One more SECT win could see them make it into the big one and even a loss, now, with some other 'bubble' teams helping out, we still might make it. 

If we manage to make it to the dance, even if we were to go one and done, I think Stan stays another year.  If we don't, he's at the edge....too close to call.

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

football17

y'all, he still has to make the NCAA tournament. The NIT stuff means nothing. Lose tomorrow and he's still likely gone. He may be anyway regardless.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 09, 2007, 05:26:28 pm
did this save his job or will the last 5 years be looked at....

this probably did not save his job for sure but if BG and BS dont say yes, then coach Heath will still be here.

If we win tomorrow i think he deserves to keep it.

ChrisD

Stan is on the verge. Fact is he was 5 years away from being qualified for this job when he got it. 
If we keep him, I am sure we will be good next year, and he will have a basis for a great recruiting year. I have this feeling that he is about to make a serious run of about five years that will rival anything we have seen so far at Arkansas. JMHO no facts,

Hogpuddin

Quote from: ChrisD on March 09, 2007, 05:42:11 pm
Stan is on the verge. Fact is he was 5 years away from being qualified for this job when he got it. 
If we keep him, I am sure we will be good next year, and he will have a basis for a great recruiting year. I have this feeling that he is about to make a serious run of about five years that will rival anything we have seen so far at Arkansas. JMHO no facts,

I agree with Chris D.  Stan was still a rookie head coach with one year's experience when he came here.  I think that he will only improve (what else can he do?).  We should keep him with this talent at least one more year.

Now had we lost..... >:(

hogfan47

Yes he has for one more year.
the last of his contract if i am not mistaken
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

slopinhogs

no if he beats Miss ST. tomorrow his contract is safe.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

AFWarrior83

Really how is it that Heath can get canned for recruiting top classes and having wining seasons, and Nutt stays after finishing towards the bottom of recruiting and never wining any big games in 9 years? Does Arkansas just feel that bball is more important to win than football? I don't keep up with bball as much as football myself. I just don't understand how Nutt gets to stay if not for his lousy job performance, all the BS that happened this winter....
Hogville member since 2005.

ChrisD

Lets take a Nutt Break Please!!!

M6

I hope they do look at the last 5 years. Remember those first 3 years when the seats where empty. Remember the downward spiral that Nolan team was in when he left us. Stan was the only fan cheering for the hogs back then. He keep working and working. He keep cheering and recruiting for the hogs. He put this team back together. Don't pretend he's done nothing to this point. His first job was to turn it around. His second task was to get back to the NCAA and we did. Now we look to be going back again. He's done enough in the first 3 years to get another year.

Porquemada

Quote from: hogfan47 on March 09, 2007, 05:47:47 pm
Yes he has for one more year.
the last of his contract if i am not mistaken

HairyHog

I'm jumping off the Fire Stand Wagon.  Even if we don't make it to the NCAAT, he deserves another year for the way he has coached the last 4 games.

Hog in MO

For the first time I can remember in Stan's tenure, this team didn't fold in a tight game at the end.  Time after time, we've watched them fold when they had a chance to pull out a close one, but not today.  I don't know if this is a turning point - I've been fooled so many times before that its hard to get over my skepticism.  I think Stan might have saved his job today - at least for one more year. I'm still undecided on whether he's going to be able to take the program to the level we expect, but I'm rooting for him.  At least I can say I'm excited about basketball for the first time in a while. 

dmac_iz_kin

no. in case you hhave not been watching this season Heath is a terrible coach. Those boys started playing after they learned he was gonna be gone next year. I hope to God Heath steps aside on his own b/c Ptb are too stupid to get rid of him ,even if he makes the tourny
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

tmorph84

DO you guys forget the 8000 fans we had for the miss. st. game at home this year. Donn't try to tell me that he is on the verge of a mystical run after a freakin four game winning streak! If Bill Gillespie wants the job Stan is out.

mbgrulz

i refuse to let 4 games influence a decision that has built up for 5 years.

hoggystyle78

IMO Stan deserves at least one more year, 20 wins, good recruiting classes, and the man just screams class, a wonderful ambassador for the UofA. KEEP GOING STAN, ALL THE WAY TO THE NCAAs BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

N HOG

I can't imagine ANYONE calling Stan Heath into a room and telling him he's fired while watching Dale walking carefree down the hall to his office in his velvet jump suit and straw hat.

rbbarker

Yes...I'd like 2 see what he does with his seniors...
de NUTT ed

Dugann

I don't know even if we make the ncaa atm don't know if he stays but i do think that regardless if he is fired he just got him self another good job somewhere.... think that he has done.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on March 09, 2007, 06:13:16 pm
IMO Stan deserves at least one more year, 20 wins, good recruiting classes, and the man just screams class, a wonderful ambassador for the UofA. KEEP GOING STAN, ALL THE WAY TO THE NCAAs BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Attendance has constantly gone down b/c of Heath.  its not about 20 wins or good recruiting its about building a 19,200 seat arena and having 5k people in the stands when you use to sell out every home game
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

N HOG

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on March 09, 2007, 06:24:00 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on March 09, 2007, 06:13:16 pm

Aren't you supposed to be on the radio now, Chuck?

Attendance has constantly gone down b/c of Heath.  its not about 20 wins or good recruiting its about building a 19,200 seat arena and having 5k people in the stands when you use to sell out every home game

CheeZ_PuFF

one more win and Arkansas is in Big Dance

Hogpuddin

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 09, 2007, 06:10:52 pm

You should be a football PTB on "The Hill."  :)

Mr. Porkleone

was a nice summary of bud walton over the stan years....Has gone for sellouts to 14K average...

I think Stan is graded on that, and not what happens tomorrow.

Lose and Stan's out...

tmorph84

Imagine what we could do with Bill Gillispie at the helm next year, Bud Walton would be rockin!!!

NuttinItUp

Yes he has done enough., Did you even see the game today???!?

Immensehog

It's done.

He's here another year, and we'll be having this same discussion when we are
a bubble team next year.

What are you gonna do?
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

go hogues

Even if we get to the big dance and lose to a Bucknell-esque team, what has ANY of this proven?  I hope they take a long hard look at whether they should retain him or not.
Regardless though, I am one proud Hog fan tonight.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

tmorph84

We'll be talkin' about how we could have gotten Gillispie when we had the chance.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 09, 2007, 06:55:03 pm

i guarantee you that we'd be looking forward to seeing what a new football coach could do with DMAC, and wondering who we were going to hire for basketball if i were up there.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 09, 2007, 10:48:46 pm
Quote from: Hogpuddin on March 09, 2007, 06:55:03 pm

i guarantee you that we'd be looking forward to seeing what a new football coach could do with DMAC, and wondering who we were going to hire for basketball if i were up there.

You would have my support.

ark30inf

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 09, 2007, 07:03:36 pm
was a nice summary of bud walton over the stan years....Has gone for sellouts to 14K average...

I think Stan is graded on that, and not what happens tomorrow.

Lose and Stan's out...

Yeah, I think the bar is probably higher for the PTB than it is even for us fans.  Its all about the money and the only way he keeps it is if they think what he is doing RIGHT NOW will put butts in the seats. next year.  NCAA win will probably be enough I figure.

mbgrulz

i really have a feeling that we are going to be easier to appease than the PTB on stan. they have obviously started the ball rolling, and they will be disappointed if they have to stop.

i also think JFB really wants to finish on a high note. he wants to be remembered for bringing in 3 coaches who all went to final 4's. he wants to end on doing something the fans like instead of the whole HDN debacle.

jolicious

My take (for what it's worth):
Keep him.  I don't know what's he's done or said, but he's got the young men confident in EACH OTHER.....  They are finally playing like a team.  He's got the talent on the floor, and is now getting them all on the same page.  It's coming together.  And, I really believe that next year is when we cut the "Big Nets" down.

hogninja

First of all, we all have to agree that the first 2 years were a wash.  Not his fault, not our fault, just too bad.  In the last 3 years, we could possibly be in the NCAA tourney in 2 of those IF we get in this year.  SO, in light of HDN having a 2 year pass in 04 and 05, If we give SH a 2 year pass on his first two years (not his fault), then how can you retain HDN after last years debacle when SH has acted in such a class manner EVEN AFTER the LEAK that is still not verified by the sneaky hill crowd?  It just burns my A$$ that there is a deliberate and most visual "double standard".  God bless the fact that we are getting a new AD (I still praise his accomplishments), maybe there will be a new sanity to the madness I see now.
I just hope that the "burn and salt" attitude this year doesn't destroy the entire program. :razorback:

HoggusMaximus

After all the ups and downs this season I will be the first to admit that I was ready for Stan heath to be fired.... but after seeing the emotion those players left out on the coart and how hard they played for that man I say let him keep the job.

owl

For what it is worth----   Owl believes we should Keep Stan and Boot the HUTE. SECT emotion make me  just plain proud to be a Hogs alum.Hute makes me feel  :-[ and  :puke:
OWL says SUPPORT THE HOGS

OKC

I kind of think if the line was drawn at "make the tourney and save your job" then they should stand by that. Now saying that, I am rooting for stan to save his job. In the back of my mind though, i keep thinking that it's going to be more of the same next year but with a little bit better players...yeah, so basically i'm torn but I always seem to pull for the underdog.

Pork Twain

Not until he can at least win one game in the NCAA.  I am tired of the Hogs being an also ran...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgsav1

I agree. However, this was supposedly a slightly rebuilding year and the bar was drawn for heath to make the tourney and I agree that if the bar was set there then he should be allowed to stay. I don't support Heath and I haven't done so for a little while. I DO support the Hogs and regardless of whomever is at the helm so I must say, I felt good today despite stan. i unequivocally will always support the Hogs. That being said I think that Arkansas needs to get to at least 21-22 wins to get into the tourney, which means a win over MSU and possibly in the SECT title game is necessary. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

George S. Pigton

Well, I think this team is winning for Stan, not because of him.  That being said, if he makes
the Tourney, they have to keep him.  If that is the deal, they need to stand by him just like
the did Nutt and his two year pass.  Now, I think he actually needs to win one in the tourney
to keep his job but, I'm sure that is wishful thinking.  It seems that last year they were so
happy to just make it they had no emotion against Bucknell and I'm a little worried about that
today.  If they lose today, not a sure thing that they are in just yet.  Need a win today.

Maybe some other Big-10 team will fire their coach and think Stan has done a wonderful job
here and take him away.  That would be best for everyone!

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"