Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath or Nutt: Whom to Fire?

Started by jaredndockery, March 03, 2007, 05:10:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gopigsgo

Read it and weep huggers! Whats the defense going to be when real big bombs start to drop. You know it don't matter cause we'll be one hog nation again and this dirty little mess will be over,well unless the NCAA sees different.

jmark

I cannot understand why those parents should not have talked to Frank.  Is he Moses, down from the mountain?  Why didn't Frank get off his dead rear-end, go down the hall in the BAC and find out why these players are upset.  The problem is, some paid coaches think no one can question their judgement.  That's B.S. 
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

redbarn

In my humble opinion, Broyles was the Athletic Director and Nutt was the head football coach.  They did not play under Broyles but did play under Nutt.  Broyles was not with them on a daily basis but Nutt was.  Thus my opinion.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

jbcarol

Quote from: jmark on March 03, 2007, 11:54:51 pm
I cannot understand why those parents should not have talked to Frank.  Is he Moses, down from the mountain?  Why didn't Frank get off his dead rear-end, go down the hall in the BAC and find out why these players are upset.  The problem is, some paid coaches think no one can question their judgement.  That's B.S. 

And their judgment went beyond "personnel" and started getting "personal".
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jmark

Yes Houston was the coach.  I sure the parents knew Houston was coach.  Obviously, they felt Houston was not trustworthy enough to talk to.  They could have felt he didn't have enough leadership skills to handle the problem.  Or they could have felt Houston was an a******.  But Frank knows Houston pretty well.  You have to believe Frank knew the team had a problem.  If Frank wants to say he didn't know, he should have.  The rest of the state knew.

jbcarol

Quote from: jmark on March 04, 2007, 12:18:57 am
Yes Houston was the coach.  I sure the parents knew Houston was coach.  Obviously, they felt Houston was not trustworthy enough to talk to.  They could have felt he didn't have enough leadership skills to handle the problem.  Or they could have felt Houston was an a******.  But Frank knows Houston pretty well.  You have to believe Frank knew the team had a problem.  If Frank wants to say he didn't know, he should have.  The rest of the state knew.

If you are holding an e-mail forwarded by Houston Nutt's wife (again not an internet rumor, this is not disputed) with subject line:  "This is funny," you are not taking your meeting to Nutt are you.  Coach Broyles himself acknowledged it was not about "playing time".  In general, it was about "Is the program in control here?  Are our kids so far in the dog house that they cannot be redeemed and have a shot?  Talking about an 8-0 QB and two all-conference freshmen in a tough conference.  At Florida this stuff was not going on.  But I bet Mr. Tebow was welcome in A.D. Foley's and Coach Meyer's office anytime he desired.  And was greeted warmly if he so chose to.  Just seemed like they weren't having other problems there besides the threats on Chris Leak's life.  A tale of management and mismanagement.  A tale of National Championship and .714.  A Tale of Two Teams.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

redbarn

I will probably get kicked in the butt for this by some peoplen by my on opinion is that Broyles was taking care of his boy again by having the meeting.  I really believe a good AD would haven said "If you have a problem with the coach then talk to the coach"
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

jmark

redbarn, that would be fine if the AD said go talk to the coach.  If the coach was really in charge.

jbcarol

Quote from: jmark on March 04, 2007, 12:35:19 am
redbarn, that would be fine if the AD said go talk to the coach.  If the coach was really in charge.

A Southern Gentleman does not directly say "no" to such a request.  He has his people take care of it.  Apparently his people let him down.

redbarn

Quote from: jmark on March 04, 2007, 12:35:19 am

Point well taken but I did say a "good" AD.

jmark

Your right.  You did say a good AD.  And his people did let him down.  So why did Frank have to announce his retirement before the special BOT meeting?

redbarn

Number one I think Franks people didn't let him down as much as he couldn't stop meddling in Nutt's business and in the process tried to protect Nutt from all angles.  Keep in mind this is only my opinion.  As far as his retirement goes, one thing I don't believe I have ever heard mentioned is the age factor.  I wonder if maybe the BOT's might have been looking at his age and wanting someone with newer ideas and a younger outlook on how things are managed in the present time.  Frank Broyles did a lot of good things for the University but age was catching up with him and Isome of his latest remarks couldn't have helped his popularity any at all.  Also, we will probably never know what really transpired to cause his retirement.  Politics just do not work that way.  If the Bot has their eyes on a Nuttless 2008, the first thing they would want to do is get Broyles out of the way, thus removing their biggest stumbling block.   I think it remains to be seen if Nutt has already hanged himself or whether he can weather this storm that has been created to coach the 2007 season.   

jmark

My opinion is, if Nutt is coaching '07, it will not be good.  We will not win 10 games.  If QB or Dmac goes down, it will be even worse.  (Good Lord, I hope not).  Combine Nutt's super good popularity and next years off the field shenanigans, the '06 season will pale in comparasion.

redbarn

If Dmac and Jones is all we have I think  we are in for some tough times.  We will beat the lesser teams but the others will be keying on those two players every down and without a passing game installed, there will be nothing Nutt can do about it.  Another thought on this is that if Jones goes down, it will basically have the same effect as Dmac going down.  He was the only balance we really had last season.  You know, we give it to Dmac most of the time and then give it to Jones once in a while to catch the other team off guard.

jmark

Hey redbarn, don't forget David Lee rewrote the playbook.

hawaiianhogster

Nutt speaks with forked tongue. Fire him first. Prove to me that Honesty is very important at UA.

6HogsinGA

Quote from: gopigsgo on March 03, 2007, 10:17:21 pm
A good leader(AD) will stop the drama, clean up the mess up there in a short period of time when he comes in. Have a plan in place and hopefully unite the Razorback nation.We need a leader,no one is giving in and we are killing our recruiting with all this negativity.

Are you suggesting that hog fans need to clean their act up? Are you inferring that the fans that paid for a spot in the newspaper calling for FB and HDN to step down brought attention to a divided fanbase and screwed up recruiting this year? Exactly who is the WE that you refer to in the last sentence of yours? I'm curious to hear your explanation because the way I understand what you're saying, you're saying we fans are responsible for the sad state of affairs, and a good leader (AD) can change our negative attitudes and hopefully unite all hog fans.

gopigsgo

I in no way mean that the fans are responsible for the mess up there,however the fans are so divided it is causing problems in areas we can ill afford.obviously recruiting,b) able to make decisions in other sports without this interfering in it(basketball,if we didn't have the deal going on with Nutt and its specifics we would probably not hesitate on Heath. And the first question was "who is the we referred to" All Razorback fans unless you think we have sufficient leaders in place to get us above the mediocrity we have been steeped in for 10 years,in Both sports.

taoteching

Quote from: jaredndockery on March 03, 2007, 05:10:52 pm
So, the conventional wisdom currently seems to be that Nutt stays for 2007, but Heath is likely gone? Curious, considering:

• In his last three seasons, Houston Nutt has gone 19-17 (.528). In his last three seasons (as of March 3), Stan Heath has gone 58-34 (.630).

• During the past football season—which supposedly has made him unfireable—Nutt went 3-4 against Top 25 opponents. During this past basketball season—which supposedly is going to cost him his job—Heath has gone 4-2 against Top 25 opponents.

• During his last three seasons, Nutt has had one post-season appearance. In his last three seasons, Heath already has one post-season appearance and seems certain of being given a second (either NCAA or NIT) — if the powers that be will let him accept it.

• In December 2006, a close friend of Nutt's family sent a hateful email to one of his players, which drew national media attention. None of Heath's close family friends have behaved similarly, to our knowledge.

• In January 2007, Nutt snubbed (and thereby ran off) the Rivals.com offensive coordinator of the year. Heath has made no similar blunder.

• In January 2007, Nutt ran off the most highly-regarded football prospect the University of Arkansas has ever had. Heath has made no similar blunder.

• In his last recruiting class (February 2007), Nutt managed not to sign any of the top 250 players in the country. In his last recruiting class (2006), Heath managed to sign the top junior college prospect in the country (Sonny Weems), a McDonalds All-American (Stefan Welsh), and the best freshman in the SEC (Patrick Beverley).

If there is grace sufficient to keep Nutt ensconced on the hill for another season, there ought to be grace upon grace for Heath. He has behaved with the utmost class. He has won an increasing number of games each of his first four seasons—and may, depending upon how things turn out in the tourney(s), extend that streak to a fifth year this season. He has at the least assured himself of a winning record this year in what amounts to a rebuilding season, since he had to replace the nucleus of Brewer-Modica-Ferguson (with 11 collective years of Razorback experience) with Ervin-Beverley-Weems (0 years). Having recruited these guys—and having been forced to take his lumps this season while they gain chemistry and experience—Heath ought to be given a chance to coach them next year.

If Chancellor White is desperate to fire a Razorback men's coach, well, it seems that he can probably find a better candidate than Stan Heath.

Stan's major problem has been poor attendance at home games.  His second problem has poor preformance on SEC road games.  He is preceived to be too low key and this has been passed along to his players.  Somehow or other he must generate more enthusiam from the players and fans.

Nutt was extremely luck to have recruited Mitch Mustain and bring in Gus Malzahn. This year's team won 10 games inspite of Nutt.  It is hard to fire a coach that has won 10 games and the stands are full.

taoteching

Neither Nutt or Heath will be fired now.

Last year's football team was lucky enough to win 10 games.  The stands were full and the fans were fairly happy.  This bought Nutt one more year.  The decision to keep Nutt was made before he ran Gus and Mitch off and email gate.

This year's basketball team has a split personality (hig and low).  Stan is too low key and it is associated with the team emotion.  Fans have stopped coming to Walton arena and this concerns everybody. In view of the last two wins, the team will most likely go to the NIT and probably mas a decent showing.  Stan will be back one more year.

HawgWyld

Quote from: taoteching on March 04, 2007, 12:59:28 pm
Neither Nutt or Heath will be fired now.

Last year's football team was lucky enough to win 10 games.  The stands were full and the fans were fairly happy.  This bought Nutt one more year.  The decision to keep Nutt was made before he ran Gus and Mitch off and email gate.

This year's basketball team has a split personality (hig and low).  Stan is too low key and it is associated with the team emotion.  Fans have stopped coming to Walton arena and this concerns everybody. In view of the last two wins, the team will most likely go to the NIT and probably mas a decent showing.  Stan will be back one more year.
That's probably a correct read of the whole thing. I'd wager fans hate Nutt a lot more than Stan Heath, but Nutt and his cronies have the "10-win season!" chant down and are playing that for all it's worth. Give Nutt another season to return to his losing ways and letting that bum go will be much easier.

So, I'd wager that Heath has another season to pull off something much more impressive than we've seen thus far.

gopigsgo

6HogsinGA

Quote from: gopigsgo on March 04, 2007, 12:28:01 pm
I in no way mean that the fans are responsible for the mess up there,however the fans are so divided it is causing problems in areas we can ill afford.obviously recruiting,b) able to make decisions in other sports without this interfering in it(basketball,if we didn't have the deal going on with Nutt and its specifics we would probably not hesitate on Heath. And the first question was "who is the we referred to" All Razorback fans unless you think we have sufficient leaders in place to get us above the mediocrity we have been steeped in for 10 years,in Both sports.

Thanks for your answer. I do agree with you on the mediocrity, leadership, and negativity issues. I think the stumbling block to accountability (FB) is gone (or soon will be). I'm optimistic that things are going to change for the better with a wise choice for AD. EVERYONE, myself included, is held accountable for job performance. When you start bending those accountabilty rules, you run into problems. (Example: FB and HDN) And now you have pissed off fan base that wonders when ANYONE on the Hill going to accept some responsibility and own up to any of the mistakes THEY made. Thus, the reason for the drastic measures to get the attention of the PTB. Drastic measures? You bet. It got their attention, however. Looking back, I think FB would still be reigning and nothing would have changed without those drastic measures. At the time, I didn't think it was a good idea. Now? Well, I see change, and I like that. I can't argue with the results that I've seen so far. 

taoteching

I am curious?? Is "whom" in the objective or subjective form here?

Is anyone here an english grammar guru?

hog.goblin

Quote from: razornole on March 03, 2007, 10:01:40 pm
Quote from: hog.goblin on March 03, 2007, 06:14:08 pm
Neither, they each deserve one more year. 

Stan with his first class of Seniors and HDN with his first year w/o Gus and w/o the probation cloud.  If they perform well they stay; if they don't it's an easy decision to let them go.

what cloud. this year's class is the same as the one with the "cloud"

The first "cloud" was not HDN induced and therefore he got a two year pass (whether he should have or not, he did).  I assume you mean this new "cloud" is the one from email gate and Gus' departure.  That was self-induced...there is no pass.  Produce or he is history.

5 little pigs

Nutt is the easy answer...why the university continues to extend his contract is unimaginable!!!   What is he going to do if we don't extend his contract?  Leave?  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heath has class and is somewhere is this frustration showing signs of life.  I think he needs to lose it more often or at least once to get his players off their duffs, but I am for him!!

Nutt has no class, cannot coach, cannot tell the truth, cannot "build a fence around the state", etc.  Fire HDN!!!!

HogsGranpa

March 04, 2007, 03:21:46 pm #76 Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:24:29 pm by HogsGranpa
Quote from: 5 little pigs on March 04, 2007, 03:13:44 pm
Nutt is the easy answer...why the university continues to extend his contract is unimaginable!!!   What is he going to do if we don't extend his contract?  Leave?  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heath has class and is somewhere is this frustration showing signs of life.  I think he needs to lose it more often or at least once to get his players off their duffs, but I am for him!!

Nutt has no class, cannot coach, cannot tell the truth, cannot "build a fence around the state", etc.  Fire HDN!!!!

Speaking of "fence around the state, what players are from Arkansas, that are the top 8 players from Arkansas, that Heath has recruited?  What players, period on the team from Arkansas. that Heath has recruited.

Steven Hill is from Branson, which is about 30 miles north of the Ark/Mo state line.

Maybe you could call him being, from Arkansas.

BTW, if the basketball team keeps playing with the intensity and passion in SEC tournament that they have the last two games, I want Stan Heath back next year as basketball HC.

5 little pigs