Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game Thread: Arkansas 17-12 (6-9) at (19) Vanderbilt 20-9 (10-5)

Started by Bomis Hawg, March 03, 2007, 11:54:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

liferedeemed

If MSU beats Bama tomorrow we are 3rd seed in the west (W3)

Bomis Hawg

Michael Washington, like Stewie said, isn't used to this much PT.  He is making those freshman mistakes that you see early in the season from players that play significant PT.  He'll work out those kinks before too long.  Glad he stepped up.

gopigsgo

Ouachihog

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 03, 2007, 02:17:13 pm
Quote from: Ouachihog on March 03, 2007, 02:13:38 pm
Quote from: SexyBeast77 on March 03, 2007, 02:07:04 pm
So how many SEC Tourney wins to we need to get in Big Dance? 2 for 20 wins or 3 for 21 wins?

Still think we need 3 SECT wins.  This is a great win, unfortunately it makes the SECT more difficult though.  We are now likely to get the 3 or 4 seed, which means if we win the first game we play vandy again.  Had we lost and got the 5 seed, we would be playing the west #1 (sorry team) in the second round. 

However, a #3 seed would keep us on the opposite side of the bracket from Florida. 

We will have to be in the championship game to make the NCAA tourney.  Making the semis won't do it.  21-13 likely gets us a #11 or #12 seed in the NCAA tourney.  Win the tourney and we probably make it in as a #8 or #9.  With that said no way Stan wins the SEC tourney.  He'll be out by round 2. 

I agree, that's why i said 3 wins.  2 wins will NOT do it. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

psychopig

Heath haters, he deserves 1 more year!  Karma is showing us, what goes around, comes around.  He is a good guy and now it is Houston's turn to step up to the Karma buffet and get his just desserts!

ballhog™

he makes the SEC tourney he probably should get another year, if not I think it's time to look for someone else.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

liferedeemed

Quote from: Ouachihog on March 03, 2007, 02:21:02 pm
So how many SEC Tourney wins to we need to get in Big Dance? 2 for 20 wins or 3 for 21 wins?

Still think we need 3 SECT wins.  This is a great win, unfortunately it makes the SECT more difficult though.  We are now likely to get the 3 or 4 seed, which means if we win the first game we play vandy again.  Had we lost and got the 5 seed, we would be playing the west #1 (sorry team) in the second round. 

However, a #3 seed would keep us on the opposite side of the bracket from Florida. 

We will have to be in the championship game to make the NCAA tourney.  Making the semis won't do it.  21-13 likely gets us a #11 or #12 seed in the NCAA tourney.  Win the tourney and we probably make it in as a #8 or #9.  With that said no way Stan wins the SEC tourney.  He'll be out by round 2. 

I agree, that's why i said 3 wins.  2 wins will NOT do it. 
2 could do it.  Depends on what happens elsewhere.

cosmodrum

I still think 20 is the magic number.
Go away, batin'

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: psychopig on March 03, 2007, 02:21:43 pm
Heath haters, he deserves 1 more year!  Karma is showing us, what goes around, comes around.  He is a good guy and now it is Houston's turn to step up to the Karma buffet and get his just desserts!

i really like coach heath but this team had the talent to win 10 games in the SEC. Heck we went 4-2 against ranked teams!
And we only went 7-9 this season. If we dont make the NCAAT, we need to find a coach who will WIN and won't have to depend on the SECT to make the NCAAT.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Ouachihog on March 03, 2007, 02:19:35 pm
We are now likely to get the 3 or 4 seed, which means if we win the first game we play vandy again.  Had we lost and got the 5 seed, we would be playing the west #1 (sorry team) in the second round

That's incorrect in that no team plays a team from the same division in the first round

So

W3 E6
W4 E5
W5 E4
W6 E3

Where did i say we would play a west team in the first round?  I said we would get w#1 in the second round. 

I guess I missed the part in bold
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Ouachihog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 03, 2007, 02:30:53 pm
Quote from: psychopig on March 03, 2007, 02:21:43 pm

i really like coach heath but this team had the talent to win 10 games in the SEC. Heck we went 4-2 against ranked teams!
And we only went 7-9 this season. If we dont make the NCAAT, we need to find a coach who will WIN and won't have to depend on the SECT to make the NCAAT.

Completely agree Hollywood.  We played well today.  But the fact remains that our division is terrible and the SEC overall isn't great, and we only went 7-9.  Don't get me wrong, I hope we win the SECT, make the NCAAT, and Stan stays....but if we don't it is time for a change. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

jbcarol

After the bids are announced each year ILMFHO looking at the "best road win" of some of the selections (usually Cha/umps of Weak Conferences).  Last year the Committee showed that quality road wins showed your team had something and bad home losses were minimized.  I picked 30 "locks".  That leaves about 16 teams (depending on who wins Conference Tournaments) out of the 25 bubble teams I chose to analyze.  Of these 25 bubble teams I chose what is arguably their best road win.  For one team, Michigan St. that was not hard since they won only one road game.  I include Team Ranking of the home team at the time of the road victory for the bubble team (not the current ranking).  Only one bubble team has two road wins over ranked teams:

Bubble Team   Best Road Win   Comment if any
------------   --------------   --------------
Gonzaga         2 No. Carolina    Favorite to win conference ?
Texas Tech     6 Texas A&M     Road win over your boy Billy G.
Marquette       6 Pittsburgh      KY's NCAA all-time nemesis
Old Dominion    8 Georgetown   Got Hoyas at a good time
Georgia Tech  11 Memphis       Good early road win
Arkansas        12 Alabama       Took care of business at Vanderbilt
                    19 Vanderbilt
Arizona          15 Oregon         Big deal
Oklahoma St.  21 Syracuse      It's a Family Tradition
Drexel            Villanova          Good road wins (may win conference)
U Mass           Louisville          Ford 2nd ex-player/ex-coach to defeat Pitino at home (Tubby is other, many times)
Georgia          Arkansas          Remember that one
Villanova        U Conn             Would have looked better last year
Indiana          U Conn             Ditto
Alabama         N. C. State       No quality SEC road win
Illinois            Missouri            Took Mike Anderson at home.  No big Big 10 road win
Air Force        Stanford           Buzzed the Big Tree
Xavier            Dayton             Good road win
Clemson         So. Carolina       Beat Repeat NIT Champion > .500 to get 3-peat (R) "Registered TM of P. Riley"
Creighton       Missouri St.       The MVC's best road wins this year are against each other.  Not as impressive.
Missouri St.    Bradley             "
Bradley          Drake               "
Syracuse       Providence        Could not get a better Big East win
Stanford        California          No decent Pac-10 or any road win
West Virginia  Seton Hall         No decent Big East Win
Michigan St.   Penn St.           Need to get out more often.  Only road win.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Bomis Hawg

I thought Michigan State had a road win, and a sweep, with a win at Wisconsin today.  Wasn't it Alando Tucker with the shot?  That guy has ice water in his veins.

Think the MVC gets 3 in?  I bet the Mountain West does.  That would eliminate a big conference team.

hogsgonewild30

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 02:17:51 pm
Team Stats:

2pt: Arkansas 17/32 (53%); Vanderbilt 11/33 (33%)
3pt: Arkansas 7/18 (38%); Vanderbilt 8/27 (29%)
FT: Arkansas 27/34 (79%); Vanderbilt 21/25 (84%)

Individual Stats:
Gary Ervin with 21 points on 6/10 shooting.
Patrick Beverley with 20 points on 4/11 shooting; 10/11 FT.
Michael Washington with 15 points on 6/10 shooting.
Darian Townes 9 points on 3/8 shooting.
Sonny Weems with 7 points on 3/5 shooting.
Steven Hill with 4 points on 2/3 shooting.
Stefan Welsh with 4 points on 0/2 shooting; 4/5 FT.
Charles Thomas with 2 points on 0/1 shooting; 2/2 FT.
Sean McCurdy with 0 points.
Vincent Hunter with 0 points.

Derrick Byars with 19 points on 6/19 shooting.
Dan Cage with 18 points on 2/3 shooting; 9/9 FT.
Shan Foster with 8 points on 3/10 shooting.
Alex Gordon with 7 points on 2/9 shooting.
George Drake with 6 points on 2/5 shooting.
Alex Metcalfe with 6 points on 1/2 shooting
Ted Skuchas with 4 points on 1/2 shooting.
Jermaine Beal with 2 points on 1/4 shooting.
Ross Neltner with 2 points on 1/5 points.
JeJuan Brown with no ponits.

+1 thanks for the stats

MHHog

jbcarol

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on March 03, 2007, 02:44:28 pm
I thought Michigan State had a road win, and a sweep, with a win at Wisconsin today.  Wasn't it Alando Tucker with the shot?  That guy has ice water in his veins.

Think the MVC gets 3 in?  I bet the Mountain West does.  That would eliminate a big conference team.

Wisconsin wins today as posted earlier
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Auburn and Ole Miss in a dog fight to the finish (or is it Plainsman vs. Rebel?)

jbcarol

Winthrop wins their Conference championship.  One less bubble team.

Bomis Hawg

I guess VMI is out.  Wonder if they had won, if Winthrop would've been an at-large...  Shouldn't worry about such things.

Bradley beating SIU in their conference tourny early on.

jbcarol

Ole Miss in Oxford beats Auburn in a wild one, 83-79, and gets next Thursday off.

Bomis Hawg

Florida and Vandy lock up the SECE #1 & #2.
Ole Miss gets a bye.  Who's next?  Hopefully, for Arkansas' sake, it's Miss State.

jbcarol

Villanova beats Syracuse in Philly.  How many teams would they send from one conference?

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

jbcarol

Do we have an AD on the Committee advocating for us this year?  Oh, that's right we don't have an AD.  Devil Dog.  Reminder of happier times enjoying the snack cakes of my youth.  "Devil Dog, cake from Heck."