Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback cheerleaders

Started by hoghearted, February 22, 2009, 01:22:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoghearted

At the risk of getting smited for asking the non-manly, non-football question, do the Hog cheerleaders participate in cheer competitions? I was surfing through the channels on tv, and caught the Kentucky cheer squad, to be followed by the Alabama squad, at the UCA championships, and wondered if ours were there too.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

cw2

No.  Tried to get a competition squad together several times...Jean didn't want to do it...and I'm sure, in light of the past two years events, there were other forces prohibiting it.

hoghearted

That's a shame. I know most folks don't consider it a sport, per se, but if you watch the competitions you definitely see it's an athletic challenge, requiring strength, flexibility, and timing.

Maybe Ms Nail didn't want to do it, because she's not up to the task. (I say that not knowing her background, at all)
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

razorbackmkh

Okay, I thought this was going to be a hot picture of the cheer squad in my defense. That being said the past administration was never very supportive of the competition squad. They do attend some camps that host competitions but nothing like the UCA Championships. There is technically a competition squad, they just don't do much competing. A very good friend of mine was on the squad in 05 and 06, they put a lot of hard work in for 500 dollars in book/expenses assistance a semester. Hopefully for the girls that will change in the near future.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: hoghearted on February 22, 2009, 01:22:41 pm
At the risk of getting smited for asking the non-manly, non-football question, do the Hog cheerleaders participate in cheer competitions? I was surfing through the channels on tv, and caught the Kentucky cheer squad, to be followed by the Alabama squad, at the UCA championships, and wondered if ours were there too.

I'm confused, I thought that was highlights from their spring practice.
Good is the enemy of great

Justifiable Hogicide

At the risk of getting smited for asking the non-manly, non-football question, do the Hog cheerleaders participate in cheer competitions?
Nothing "non-manly" about asking about the Razorback cheerleaders.

Hogtropolis™

I couldn't let there be a topic about Hog cheerleaders without there actually being a picture of one.  Here is the Hog cheerleader that was College Cheerleader of the Week on CBS's SPiN last year.

razorbackmkh

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 22, 2009, 03:56:45 pm
I couldn't let there be a topic about Hog cheerleaders without there actually being a picture of one.  Here is the Hog cheerleader that was College Cheerleader of the Week on CBS's SPiN last year.

If I correctly recall she won the the end of year vote of all cheerleaders of the week.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

mcfly5

To make matters worse, UCA's cheersquad won nationals a few years ago. (2004?)

It seems like U of A would want positive publicity ANY time. Face it, Jean is old and tired. Being a cheer coach is not for the faint of heart - I was one for over 20 years. Her day has come and gone. As with any coaching position, it is important to know when it is time to go to the house.

oldbear

IMHO one of the most manly things you can do is ask about/notice the cheerleaders.

Hogman 24

Just wait and see Jean will be the next one to be replaced

Hogwaller

After all the internal bickering I witnessed at the spring game, it seems to me that somebody needs to take control. It's not middle school and they're not 12.

JAMAHog

Actually, if you knew what you were talking about it would be better.  I know some of the cheerleaders and am very familiar with what they do.  Jean Nail is the Spirit Coordinator.  For the past 8 years she has had a full-time cheer coach, who also works for Universal Cheerleaders Association in the Summer. She was able to add a pom coach this year.  If you've coached major college level cheer, then surely you know there's much more to it than just going to practice and games.

They appear at football, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, make appearances at tennis, and have the RBI girls who perform at baseball games.  Also, when we go to bowl games (which we will be back at soon!!!!) or other post season stuff, they go to that as well.  They do hundreds of events, including community service and charity events, visits to local schools, nursing homes, etc...they practice 3-4 days a week.  They do all of this in addition to being required to carry a full class load. 

Both Cheer and Pom members, themselves, get to vote whether to compete.  With Summer camp, they only get two months off in the Summer anyway.  Plus, competing at nationals requires giving up even more of their time over Christmas break, when other students get to go home to see their families. Some of the cheerleaders still hold jobs to stay in school.

They did an awesome halftime performance at the LSU game last week.   And I know some pom members who spend lots of time getting the show lights set for their dances. I think we should be thankful for what they already do instead of complaining that they don't try to win their own awards.

pumphog

I'm just thankful for Hogtropolis for posting that fine picture. !!

SamBuckhart

Dont understand why our squad would not compete. Is this an appropriate time to say that I appreciate all the squads and their hard work. The only thing I have ever had a problem with our half time show is the flag boys. i dont mean anything ugly by it. IMHO>
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: razorbackmkh on February 22, 2009, 04:09:22 pm
If I correctly recall she won the the end of year vote of all cheerleaders of the week.
I think her last name is Cole. Maybe Laura Cole?

hogbomination

as a male human, ive loved the cheerleaders of darn near any squad, esp the hogs.. but a couple years ago  one of my old classmates daughter was on the squad, and dang it, it ruined the whole deal for me...  im still in therapy for it
james c carter

The Great Hambino

and now, can we turn this into a "post your hottest pic of a razorback cheerleader" thread?

BigSexyHog

Quote from: sggrant323 on February 22, 2009, 11:48:44 pm
and now, can we turn this into a "post your hottest pic of a razorback cheerleader" thread?

I agree
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

wholehog92

February 23, 2009, 10:57:21 am #19 Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:00:23 am by wholehog92
Quote from: JAMAHog on February 22, 2009, 08:25:37 pm
Actually, if you knew what you were talking about it would be better.  I know some of the cheerleaders and am very familiar with what they do.  Jean Nail is the Spirit Coordinator.  For the past 8 years she has had a full-time cheer coach, who also works for Universal Cheerleaders Association in the Summer. She was able to add a pom coach this year.  If you've coached major college level cheer, then surely you know there's much more to it than just going to practice and games.

They appear at football, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, gymnastics, make appearances at tennis, and have the RBI girls who perform at baseball games.  Also, when we go to bowl games (which we will be back at soon!!!!) or other post season stuff, they go to that as well.  They do hundreds of events, including community service and charity events, visits to local schools, nursing homes, etc...they practice 3-4 days a week.  They do all of this in addition to being required to carry a full class load. 

Both Cheer and Pom members, themselves, get to vote whether to compete.  With Summer camp, they only get two months off in the Summer anyway.  Plus, competing at nationals requires giving up even more of their time over Christmas break, when other students get to go home to see their families. Some of the cheerleaders still hold jobs to stay in school.

They did an awesome halftime performance at the LSU game last week.   And I know some pom members who spend lots of time getting the show lights set for their dances. I think we should be thankful for what they already do instead of complaining that they don't try to win their own awards.

A bit more hostile than necessary.  I don't think anyone is giving anyone the business except Jean.  The hostility towards her is more historical than just this thread.  She has earned a quick trigger in the blame dept.

I know the girls put in a lot of time and I am very appreciative for their efforts, trust me you wouldn't believe how appreciative I am.  I think the question we are asking is why not develop a competition squad?  They could do home only halftime routines to cut back on game requirements and focus on competition routines.  Asking the question is not the same as griping at the girls for not doing it.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hogchick26

As a former spirit squad member, competition is not a top agenda for razorback spirit squads. Not sure why, but it could be that on top of the time that it takes to prepare for pep rallies, football games, basketball games, game day, etc., we would have been living at BAC. The halftime show alone, would keep us in the BAC from 5-9 or later depending on how we looked. There is a lot of time, and little scholarship money given to the cheerleaders, and to be in the category of say, a Kentucky, LSU, or any top cheer squad, those cheer squads would have to practice non-stop. The athletic dept. doesn't give enough money to the spirit squads to really put in the effort, as well. Some of the cheerleaders picked to cheer, aren't competition caliber, but are great to look at.

I could literally go on and on, as I have some personal issues with the spirit squads, and I wouldn't take away that experience, but it's a "special" situation. I hope that helps.
It's a new day in Razorback Nation! Go Hogs!

hogchick26

Quote from: JAMAHog on February 22, 2009, 08:25:37 pm

They did an awesome halftime performance at the LSU game last week.   And I know some pom members who spend lots of time getting the show lights set for their dances. I think we should be thankful for what they already do instead of complaining that they don't try to win their own awards.

Your correct in your observation, but when the surface is scratched, there are some other situations that prevent the pom and cheer squads from competing. And when I cheered, I don't recall any vote being taken to see if we wanted to compete. Maybe I've forgotten, but I truly don't recall given that choice.

RazorbakEuphoricDysphoria

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 23, 2009, 01:39:57 pm
As a former spirit squad member, competition is not a top agenda for razorback spirit squads. Not sure why, but it could be that on top of the time that it takes to prepare for pep rallies, football games, basketball games, game day, etc., we would have been living at BAC. The halftime show alone, would keep us in the BAC from 5-9 or later depending on how we looked. There is a lot of time, and little scholarship money given to the cheerleaders, and to be in the category of say, a Kentucky, LSU, or any top cheer squad, those cheer squads would have to practice non-stop. The athletic dept. doesn't give enough money to the spirit squads to really put in the effort, as well. Some of the cheerleaders picked to cheer, aren't competition caliber, but are great to look at.

I could literally go on and on, as I have some personal issues with the spirit squads, and I wouldn't take away that experience, but it's a "special" situation. I hope that helps.
Its nice to hear a former cheerleaders take on it all...thanks!! :razorback:

DoggtownHog

I cheered for both UofA and UCA. We had much better talent at UCA. The reason for that is because we went to competitions and received more scholarship money. We won a national championship in 2000. The 02 and 04 teams did too. There are several reasons why UCA has been better at cheerleading than UofA. Yes Jean has toyed with having a competitve squad for years, but there is too much BS.
I coached the All-Star squads here in LR and coached on UCA staff(not the college). All the high school talent was in LR and choose to stay together and be competitive and get more money for your troubles. Competition cheering in college is no joke. Two hours a night or more for at minimum 4 nights a week plus any and all University apperances that are necessary. And most of us worked jobs too. So what else ya want tp know?
To bad there wasn't a cheerleader draft after college, I might have cheered my Senior year.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

hogchick26

Quote from: DoggtownHog on February 23, 2009, 04:17:51 pm
I cheered for both UofA and UCA. We had much better talent at UCA. The reason for that is because we went to competitions and received more scholarship money. We won a national championship in 2000. The 02 and 04 teams did too. There are several reasons why UCA has been better at cheerleading than UofA. Yes Jean has toyed with having a competitve squad for years, but there is too much BS.
I coached the All-Star squads here in LR and coached on UCA staff(not the college). All the high school talent was in LR and choose to stay together and be competitive and get more money for your troubles. Competition cheering in college is no joke. Two hours a night or more for at minimum 4 nights a week plus any and all University apperances that are necessary. And most of us worked jobs too. So what else ya want tp know?
To bad there wasn't a cheerleader draft after college, I might have cheered my Senior year.
Maybe we know each other. I did UCA staff for a couple of years, and cheered UofA. Send me a PM sometime so we can compare notes lol.

stchane

I could literally go on and on, as I have some personal issues with the spirit squads, and I wouldn't take away that experience, but it's a "special" situation". I hope that helps.
Quote from: hogchick26 on February 23, 2009, 01:43:27 pm
Your correct in your observation, but when the surface is scratched, there are some other situations that prevent the pom and cheer squads from competing. And when I cheered, I don't recall any vote being taken to see if we wanted to compete. Maybe I've forgotten, but I truly don't recall given that choice.

Since you and NLR-Hog obviously are the only ones in this thread who have a clue, would yall be so kind as to elaborate a little bit for the rest of us?  And you wouldn't happen to be from Hot Springs would you?

For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

reddcell

February 23, 2009, 10:09:20 pm #26 Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:10:54 pm by reddcell

hogchick26

Quote from: stchane on February 23, 2009, 09:24:45 pm
Since you and NLR-Hog obviously are the only ones in this thread who have a clue, would yall be so kind as to elaborate a little bit for the rest of us?  And you wouldn't happen to be from Hot Springs would you?

I'm not from Hot Springs....It's not something that I would ever trade away, I truly enjoyed by my experience. High School tryouts can be very political, rigged, picked in advance, and I would know, because I've judged some of those types of tryouts, myself and been in some of those tryouts.  I thought it would be different when I came to college, and it somewhat was, but some of the same.

And it's very mentally and physically grueling. To constantly have to be aware of your weight, and expected to maintain or lose that weight, how you look. The time, the training. Those girls and guys work hard. You have school, you may have to work (I did), practice, game day, if you travel with the team;missed class.

All of the stuff these guys go through is to entertain you guys. It was amazing my first game, seeing a sea of red, screaming hog fans. It gave me chills. And hearing 50k hog fans doing the hog call was amazing. Being a cheerleader is what  made me the die-hard fan I am now.

I'm sorry I rambled, but you asked! ;)

stchane

Quote from: hogchick26 on February 23, 2009, 10:56:01 pm
I'm not from Hot Springs....It's not something that I would ever trade away, I truly enjoyed by my experience. High School tryouts can be very political, rigged, picked in advance, and I would know, because I've judged some of those types of tryouts, myself and been in some of those tryouts.  I thought it would be different when I came to college, and it somewhat was, but some of the same.

And it's very mentally and physically grueling. To constantly have to be aware of your weight, and expected to maintain or lose that weight, how you look. The time, the training. Those girls and guys work hard. You have school, you may have to work (I did), practice, game day, if you travel with the team;missed class.

All of the stuff these guys go through is to entertain you guys. It was amazing my first game, seeing a sea of red, screaming hog fans. It gave me chills. And hearing 50k hog fans doing the hog call was amazing. Being a cheerleader is what  made me the die-hard fan I am now.

I'm sorry I rambled, but you asked! ;)

I did ask.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm sure more on this board would love to hear more since its a perspective that many don't hear that much about.  I had a friend of mine on the squad from Hot Springs several years back, thats why I asked. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hogbomination

hey im even more impressed that no one from hogville has decided these ladies know less about cheerleading than they do and called them idiots... unlike any other subject on this board
james c carter

Pig Latin

Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

DEVIL DOG HOG

The only stupid question is the one not asked.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

George S. Pigton

Again, why not make one of the teams a comp. team.  Give them very little public appearance duties so
they can spend their time competing.  Give them what the other schools do and make the commitment.
I think the more exposure you have the better for the UofA and more kids get all or part of their education
paid for.
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

Razorback Homer

UofA cheerleader and pom pon squads have competed in national competitions, just not for a LONG time.  My sister was on the pom squad that finished second to Memphis State in 1987.  And yes, Jean was the sponsor then, too.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

DoggtownHog

Being a cheerleader for Cheer I or Cheer II is sometimes more about looking good and kissing the right person arse than about actual cheerleading talent. The squads seem to have improved over the past few years though. I haven't cheered in several years and could really care less about it. I occassionally watch the couples stunting on the sidelines, but I am far more intrested in the on the field action.

TheGunther

Quote from: mcfly5 on February 22, 2009, 06:14:57 pm
To make matters worse, UCA's cheersquad won nationals a few years ago. (2004?)

It seems like U of A would want positive publicity ANY time. Face it, Jean is old and tired. Being a cheer coach is not for the faint of heart - I was one for over 20 years. Her day has come and gone. As with any coaching position, it is important to know when it is time to go to the house.

and UALR's cheer squad won it a few years after that.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

LamarMundane

Former Razorback cheerleader Debbie Loftis died yesterday of breast cancer. She was 45.

There may be somewhere out there who knows her.

10thPlanet

The halftime show alone, would keep us in the BAC from 5-9 or later depending on how we looked.
Well you ladies could have left at 5:01, because you've always looked Hot!

10thPlanet

Quote from: LamarMundane on February 24, 2009, 12:21:40 pm
Former Razorback cheerleader Debbie Loftis died yesterday of breast cancer. She was 45.

There may be somewhere out there who knows her.
Sad to hear, prayers for her friends and family.

DoggtownHog

Quote from: TheGunther on February 24, 2009, 11:18:28 am
and UALR's cheer squad won it a few years after that.
When did UALR win anything in cheerleading? I haven't kept up but they were terrible. They had Ms. Gay Harvest Foods on their squad at one point. She used to hang out with Fonda Cox. You know them?

Oklahawg

Just like the band thread...reasons why the cheerleaders didn't compete sounds like an inside deal and we're going to get only part of the story. Best to keep it under one's hat. And, regarding Jean Nail...I knew Jean when I was in school back in the day. I enjoyed my contact with her as she treated me warmly and with respect. I can't speak to her talents as spirit coordinator, and it sounds like most on here are similarly challenged to know her skills. Those that do know...its your call on dissecting the spirit squads.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DoggtownHog

Basically tradition is more important to Jean than winning a cheer cometition. She wants the girls to look a certian way and reapply their lipstick after each quarter. The best talent isn't always in the top spot. My partner there was a prime example. She wasn't a cookie cutter girl but was far better than the others above her. It had nothing to do with attitude of grades. That was my only complaint. Jean is a nice lady though. But she does need a new hair doo. WPS!

deshahawg

If a man isn't asking about the cheerleaders......something is wrong with him!!

gibby

As the father of a young lady who is auditioning for the 2009-2010 squad, I can tell you that in high school cheer circles, it is widely known that if you want to compete, you go to UCA.  If you want to wear the Hog, you go to Fayetteville.  Notice I didn't say "if you don't want to work your a$$ off, you go to Fayetteville."  They all work very hard.  It's a matter of focus and goals. 

True Hog12

ua_hogs

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 22, 2009, 03:56:45 pm

never, and i mean never play poker with her unless you are horrible. 

DoggtownHog

Quote from: gibby on February 24, 2009, 06:10:37 pm
As the father of a young lady who is auditioning for the 2009-2010 squad, I can tell you that in high school cheer circles, it is widely known that if you want to compete, you go to UCA.  If you want to wear the Hog, you go to Fayetteville.  Notice I didn't say "if you don't want to work your a$$ off, you go to Fayetteville."  They all work very hard.  It's a matter of focus and goals. 
This is correct. Kentucky always has the best squad. Louisville is really good too, but not as good. The rest are interchangable year to year. Texas and LSU always had the best looking girls. OU and OSU weren't shabby either. Some of the college cheerleaders will do the same stunts you see on the sidelines, but in the pool and some without clothing. I hate to say it, but you get used to looking at good looking girls all the time. Well kind of.

hogchick26

Quote from: DoggtownHog on February 24, 2009, 09:51:47 am
Being a cheerleader for Cheer I or Cheer II is sometimes more about looking good and kissing the right person arse than about actual cheerleading talent. The squads seem to have improved over the past few years though. I haven't cheered in several years and could really care less about it. I occassionally watch the couples stunting on the sidelines, but I am far more intrested in the on the field action.
You speak the truth. Seriously, we probably know each other or cheered on the same squad.

hogchick26

Quote from: gibby on February 24, 2009, 06:10:37 pm
UCA is a very hard squad to make, from what I hear. Good luck to your daughter!