Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan's called Heath twice this season to wish him well

Started by Rey Pygsterio, March 15, 2006, 08:34:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 15, 2006, 03:08:09 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:56:46 pmAnger?  Not at all.  I'm not angry over the Nolan off the court mess.  I'm regretful it ended that way.  And I'm able to have an open mind to why a black man who grew up through segregation and had racial slurs spewed at him while he was going through the hardest time of his life might be bitter towards a minority of the ignorant in my race.  I'm angry at the absolute ignorant idiots who have made people like Nolan have the feelings they have. 

Mike Wilbon had an interesting take when all this went down.  Basically he said Nolan looked like many of the black men whom he grew up around that had taken a lifetime of abuse and were angry.  He said he had seen that face before talking about Nolan at the infamous press conference.  Again, I'm amazed at the shallowness of some of our fans. 

I hate racism as much as anyone.  But Nolan being black isn't why he was fired.  He was fired because his coaching and recruiting sucked.  I believe he got lazy and too caught up in his own agenda to see what a legend he would have been if only he kept to his game.  That is what is sad to me.  The man worked to hard to get lazy at the end and caught up in his own web.

As far as his daughter goes.  I would hug Nolan and tell him how incredibly sorry I am for his loss.  It brings tears to my eyes to even think about her. I can't even imagine losing a child.  That alone would maybe cause me to veer off my game.  But it is sad to say the least.  Nolan was headed to greatness and was going to carry us along with him.  That my friends is SAD.
Ok, now take that sadness and then imagine having some ignorant people calling you names and actually badmouthing you while that was going on.  And I am sure some of those people weren't too kind about his daughter, and probably even brought that up from time to time.  Now you don't think you would be just a little pissed off?  Then have to deal with a racist boss who has no problem relating a story using racial slurs.  Now, any normal person would be pissed. (To be honest, if my daughter was dying and someone brought it up, or had the nerve to badmouth me while it was going on, I would probably click and kill them.) 
Now take all of that anger, wrap it up in a ball hide it inside and go on and do your job, and not only do it, but do it better than anyone else did for 10 years, win a NC and go to another NC game, and still not get the respect you deserve.  Do you think it would come out then?  well if it didn't, have some no name hack who can't coach worth a lick, can't recruit, and can't even sniff an SEC championship in football (if you call getting beat like you were Camden Fairview playing the Dallas Cowboys in the SEC CG sniffing, I apologize), get talked about as the replacement as AD when you have built a dynasty. 
Combine all that, with the stuff you kept inside in a ball, with frustrating loosing seasons and yeah, any normal person would explode.  That's what happened to Nolan, then after he said what he did, had some time to think about it, he apologized at least 2 times.  Frick JFB and all the other racist, hillbilly, redneck, nazi's out there.   
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

nwarazfan

Quote from: HighOnHogs on March 15, 2006, 03:08:09 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 02:56:46 pmAnger?  Not at all.  I'm not angry over the Nolan off the court mess.  I'm regretful it ended that way.  And I'm able to have an open mind to why a black man who grew up through segregation and had racial slurs spewed at him while he was going through the hardest time of his life might be bitter towards a minority of the ignorant in my race.  I'm angry at the absolute ignorant idiots who have made people like Nolan have the feelings they have. 

Mike Wilbon had an interesting take when all this went down.  Basically he said Nolan looked like many of the black men whom he grew up around that had taken a lifetime of abuse and were angry.  He said he had seen that face before talking about Nolan at the infamous press conference.  Again, I'm amazed at the shallowness of some of our fans. 

I hate racism as much as anyone.  But Nolan being black isn't why he was fired.  He was fired because his coaching and recruiting sucked.  I believe he got lazy and too caught up in his own agenda to see what a legend he would have been if only he kept to his game.  That is what is sad to me.  The man worked to hard to get lazy at the end and caught up in his own web.

As far as his daughter goes.  I would hug Nolan and tell him how incredibly sorry I am for his loss.  It brings tears to my eyes to even think about her. I can't even imagine losing a child.  That alone would maybe cause me to veer off my game.  But it is sad to say the least.  Nolan was headed to greatness and was going to carry us along with him.  That my friends is SAD.

I agree.  We needed a change due to the decline of the program.  I understand our fans being upset with Nolan for that.  I have been.

HogFanLR

March 15, 2006, 03:28:54 pm #52 Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 03:31:41 pm by HogFanLR
Nolan is still a polarizing figure based on these comments.

It is past time to let it go.  I loved Nolan as the coach he was in the early and mid 90's.  I did not like him in the late 90's and was very ready for him to go.  But regardless why wish him ill.  Many of you say Nolan is bitter and angry yet you sound the same. 

My pastor comments being bitter toward anyone is like swallowing poison and hoping the other person dies.  Useless.

And I too wish the UA and Nolan could make up.  Watching that NC was one of the best moments In my life (sports wise) And for that...I thank him today if I saw him. 

Sonofahog

I agree that Nolan had "gotten lazy",  and our program was down.  I do think that he realized that and was working to correct that in his final year before it all came to a head.  Remember who was already here,  and who was going to be here.  JJ Sullinger (now leading highly ranked Ohio State).  Andre Iguodala (nice career going on in the NBA).  He would have brought the program back,  but couldn't deal with all of the crap.  He opened his mouth and screwed himself out of that opportunity, and that was the out that Frank and Co. were looking for.  I am a Nolan fan, but not a fan of his mouth. I would welcome him back, as long as he was able to keep quiet.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 15, 2006, 03:45:00 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on March 15, 2006, 03:22:14 pm
Frick JFB and all the other racist, hillbilly, redneck, nazi's out there.   

Please tell me who hired Nolan.  It sure wasn't a committee back then.  On what basis is JFB a racist?  Because he used the "n" word?

Yes, to me that is a racist.  That is the worst thing you can call a black person. 

Jaison Black

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 15, 2006, 02:08:22 pm
Quote from: hogmary on March 15, 2006, 02:07:24 pm
Do you know him Conway Hog?  Have you discussed this with him?  I do and I have.  He is not a racist.  There are a few white people he doesn't like and I am sure a few blacks he doesn't like.  I didn't say he cared about the UA, I said he cared about the Hog basketball team.  Believe whatever you want.  Ignorance is bliss.

Oh yeah, and I am close personal friends with the President.

LA HAWG, you never know whom you are "talking to" on a message boards. Keep that in mind.

Need you be reminded that less than three months ago, no one thought Mitch Mustain viewed or posted here and then he admitted he did. So, once again, you never know...
I love my kids, but this is my baby.http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/razr76/Side.jpg

WILL CLINTON

I see where you are coming from, yes.  But I don't agree with you on the redneck SOB thing being as bad as the N-word.  Some white people are proud to be called a Redneck, and SOB can relate to any race.  N-word is historically used as an insult of the worst kind to a black person.  I just don't equate the 2.  I don't think there is a word or "racial slur" that would offend me, as much as the n-word does a black.  Cracker, honkey, any of them. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: stillahog on March 15, 2006, 03:49:14 pm
I agree that Nolan had "gotten lazy",  and our program was down.  I do think that he realized that and was working to correct that in his final year before it all came to a head.  Remember who was already here,  and who was going to be here.  JJ Sullinger (now leading highly ranked Ohio State).  Andre Iguodala (nice career going on in the NBA).  He would have brought the program back,  but couldn't deal with all of the crap.  He opened his mouth and screwed himself out of that opportunity, and that was the out that Frank and Co. were looking for.  I am a Nolan fan, but not a fan of his mouth. I would welcome him back, as long as he was able to keep quiet.

Debateable whether Iggy and JJ could have led us back.  Neither(JJ has a game or two left)averaged double figures for their college careers and both have played on some pretty good teams where they weren't the only focus of opposing defenses.  Good role players.  Iggy's athleticism and potential got him drafted, not his college play.

Tmac813

Here I go again on the soap box.  We are in the midst of our first NCAA Tournament bid in 5 yrs and we are still talking about a coach from 4 seasons ago.  Razorback fans we are a dysfunctional family!  NR was the arguably one of the best, if not the best coach in University of Arkansas Razorback history.  Having said that reading some of the post on here confirms exactly what the man said about the U of A.  He was under a different standard, as compared to the football coach.  Why do I say that? because we have been thru two horrible seasons of Razorback football, without one hint of dismissal from the Athletic director.  This guy has one or two bad seasons and the fans call for his head.  Let's accept facts here.  The Razorblacks don't reflect the fan base.  The fans have unrealistic expectations of the team.  We still live in a racially biased country, and until people start to realize that we have serious issues as a nation when it comes to race, these discussions will continue to fester the wounds of our racist past.  I'm angry at NR for the venue that he used to air his grievances with FB, but that does not relieve FB of his responsibility in the whole sorted affair.  Eddie Sutton just got a DUI.  The NCAA ran him out of UK for alleged violations.  Never won a National Championship, but there are people on here that still resent NR for taking the program to a whole different level.  Do u know how many programs would love to win at least one National Championship in a major sport?  Let me close this by saying.  I came home on leave to Arkansas back when the NR thing was at it's peak.  I was having lunch with my mother at a Buffet Restaurant.  I'm a rabid hog fan of the worse.  I was animated about what was happening with Nolan and the hogs.  An older white gentlemen approached the table, preceded to sit down after introducing himself(Very nice man I might add), and proceeded to tell me about Nolan's failings as a coach. His shenanigans with a married white woman he frequented this exclusive club in Sprindale with, and how the man was an adulterer and such.  We had a provocative conversation to say in the least, and when he left the table my mom said and I quote "You know what happened to Nolan? He forgot he was a ni@@er"  She hit the nail on the head.  Hog fans let's try to get over the Nolan debacle, and bring Razorback basketball back to it's rich tradition.  NR deserves a salute for bringing Razorback Basketball to the proverbial promised land.  The man could flat out coach and I think a little forgiveness is in order.

Sonofahog

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 04:00:08 pm
Quote from: stillahog on March 15, 2006, 03:49:14 pm

Debateable whether Iggy and JJ could have led us back.  Neither(JJ has a game or two left)averaged double figures for their college careers and both have played on some pretty good teams where they weren't the only focus of opposing defenses.  Good role players.  Iggy's athleticism and potential got him drafted, not his college play.

Debateable,  maybe.  Sullinger has had a good career at OSU.  Iggy is averaging over 12 points a game for the 76er's this year.  His average for his first two years in the NBA is higher than that of Corliss.  I think they could have led us back, but that is my opinion.

But, I didn't expect you to agree with me nwarazfan,  we never really agree.

LA HAWG

Quote from: Razr on March 15, 2006, 03:54:58 pm
Do you know him Conway Hog?  Have you discussed this with him?  I do and I have.  He is not a racist.  There are a few white people he doesn't like and I am sure a few blacks he doesn't like.  I didn't say he cared about the UA, I said he cared about the Hog basketball team.  Believe whatever you want.  Ignorance is bliss.

LA HAWG, you never know whom you are "talking to" on a message boards. Keep that in mind.

Need you be reminded that less than three months ago, no one thought Mitch Mustain viewed or posted here and then he admitted he did. So, once again, you never know...

Ahh, I was just joking around.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 15, 2006, 04:27:45 pm

I AM Bill Clinton.
Retired Radio Host

Sonofahog

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 15, 2006, 04:33:09 pm

I AM Bill Clinton.

Then you really might be our uncle!!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 15, 2006, 04:21:07 pm
Here I go again on the soap box.  We are in the midst of our first NCAA Tournament bid in 5 yrs and we are still talking about a coach from 4 seasons ago.  Razorback fans we are a dysfunctional family!  NR was the arguably one of the best, if not the best coach in University of Arkansas Razorback history.  Having said that reading some of the post on here confirms exactly what the man said about the U of A.  He was under a different standard, as compared to the football coach.  Why do I say that? because we have been thru two horrible seasons of Razorback football, without one hint of dismissal from the Athletic director.  This guy has one or two bad seasons and the fans call for his head.  Let's accept facts here.  The Razorblacks don't reflect the fan base.  The fans have unrealistic expectations of the team.  We still live in a racially biased country, and until people start to realize that we have serious issues as a nation when it comes to race, these discussions will continue to fester the wounds of our racist past.  I'm angry at NR for the venue that he used to air his grievances with FB, but that does not relieve FB of his responsibility in the whole sorted affair.  Eddie Sutton just got a DUI.  The NCAA ran him out of UK for alleged violations.  Never won a National Championship, but there are people on here that still resent NR for taking the program to a whole different level.  Do u know how many programs would love to win at least one National Championship in a major sport?  Let me close this by saying.  I came home on leave to Arkansas back when the NR thing was at it's peak.  I was having lunch with my mother at a Buffet Restaurant.  I'm a rabid hog fan of the worse.  I was animated about what was happening with Nolan and the hogs.  An older white gentlemen approached the table, preceded to sit down after introducing himself(Very nice man I might add), and proceeded to tell me about Nolan's failings as a coach. His shenanigans with a married white woman he frequented this exclusive club in Sprindale with, and how the man was an adulterer and such.  We had a provocative conversation to say in the least, and when he left the table my mom said and I quote "You know what happened to Nolan? He forgot he was a ni@@er"  She hit the nail on the head.  Hog fans let's try to get over the Nolan debacle, and bring Razorback basketball back to it's rich tradition.  NR deserves a salute for bringing Razorback Basketball to the proverbial promised land.  The man could flat out coach and I think a little forgiveness is in order.
I am confused as to what point you are trying to make. It seems you are alternately defending NR and then trashing him at the same time. You are correct that the demographics of Hog fans do not match those of the team (the Razorblacks as you call them). I would challenge you to find any team outside the Ivy League or maybe Utah that matches the lily white fan base. I don't see the relevance there. As for him forgetting the he was an n-word, you are dangerously close to being one of the redneck SOB's he was talking about. Intentions are hard to convey  on a message board, so I will assume that I misunderstood and that you did not intend either of those as a racist statement.

As for reconciliation, I think that NR will have to drop the suit before that can occur. Both the University and JFB owe him an apology, but he still owes the University an apoplogy for his behavior as well. Maybe some day all those concerned will be man enough to come together and bury the hatchet. Till then, Nolan will be viewed in a negtive light, even if it is only his fault in a small part.JMO
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

lyon98

When you are paid the kind of money Nolan and Nutt are, all the rest goes with the territory, the good and the bad.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

HawgWild

mword

I still think Nolan is a racist SOB regardless. He completely lost my respect when he cried racism after he got fired, which I supported him getting fired.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 15, 2006, 04:21:07 pm

Did your mother, if she was able to think with the white pointed hat on, and this nice gentleman tell you about how Eddie Sutton was sleeping with a cheerleader while he was the coach?  I doubt that.  HOw can you sit and say some forgiveness is in order and then repeat someone, your mother of all people, calling him the n-word?  People like your mother were the ones that he was talking about when he said redneck SOB, but in her case it would be DOB.  You don't have to respond right now, you can wait until your mother gets done speaking at the KKK rally. 

Broken Trigger

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 15, 2006, 04:33:09 pm

I AM Bill Clinton.

Dad?  Is that you?  You probably don't know me, but........................

wrightobe

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 15, 2006, 09:57:40 am
IMO - Nolan's beef has always been mainly with "the white haired devil", our admin and certain small segment of our fan base who he was never able to forgive for their treatment of him in the 80s when his daughter was dying and he was trying to build the program.

In Heath he sees a good young African Amer coach for whom he cleared the path to coach here.  I'm sure he wants him to succeed for he and John Thompson and John Chaney busted their butts and put up with alot of crap to help make opportunities for Heath and others.  And if Nolan hated the actual program that much, do you think John Thompson's son would be here?  I've always believed Nolan's beef is just with a few. 

Disclaimer:  He still had the program in decline and needed to go.  Single digit scoring role players weren't bringing us back.
I remember when the Razorback Head Coach  job became vacant after Eddie Sutton left for Kentucky, many names were being thrown around about filling the position, and Nolan's Richardson name was among them, as at that time, he was the Tulsa Hurricane basketball coach.  Richardson, if I remember correctly, interviewed for the job at the the request of Frank Broyles.  After the interview, there was still much speculation about who would fill the position. During this time, Frank Broyles "the white haired devil", was out of town, and Richardson begain to think that he was not going to get the job, and decided to take himself out of consideration.  He called Broyles home, and Barbara Broyles answered, and Richardson asked to speak to Frank Broyles. She explained to him that Broyles was out of town, and thus Richardson was unable to speak to Broyles.  Richardson then explained why he was calling, and would she please advise Frank Broyles to please take his name, Nolan Richardson, out of consideration for the Razorback basketball head coach position.  This is apparently where " pillow talk", or the wife knows what her husband is thinking, because she stated back to him.  "Coach, I will not do that, and please call back at the time when is back in town".  I believe it was less then a week after this, that Nolan Richardson was hired as the Head Basketball Coach, by Frank Broyles, "the white-haired devil".  Also, during the time of Richardson's daughter severe illness with cancer, which eventully overcome her, and took her life, in a review of the Razorback Foundation records as found, due to a lawsuit brought on by the Arkansas Gazette, under the Freedom of Information law, it revealed that a large sum of money was given to help the Richardson's during their daughter's illness.  That indeed was a sad, sad, time for Nolan and Rose Richardson.  Also, during the 1994 NCAA Finals championship game. Frank Broyles could not attend that game on his doctor's orders, due to a irregular heart beat condition he was having, and thus Nolan Richardson dedicated that game to Broyles in appreciation of his support and willingness to be the first to hire a black coach  in D1, in the southern states.  Frank Broyles has always strongly supported intergation of schools and athletic programs.  When he came to Arkansas in 1958, there were no black players, but he and Orville Henry talked it up in the media, and especially the Arkansas Gazette about how the Southern schools were losing out on helping black students, because they were going to, and being recruited by northern D1 schools.  Jon Richardson was the first black football player at the University, and he played under Frank Broyles.  The reason Frank Broyles fired Nolan Richardson, or started the process, was because Nolan Richardson had lost his zeal to coach basketball, was tired of the critcism, and publicly announced on national television that " if they give me the money, they can have this job tomorrow".  If there is one thing that Frank Broyles can not take, it is losing, and if a coach can not turn it around, he will be fired, black or white, wrong or right.  Broyles is an over zealous competitor, who simply can not eat or sleep, when losing sets in..

hogman64

Quote from: hogtusk on March 15, 2006, 09:02:58 am
It was time for Nolan to go. However if Nolan made an effort, I think fans would forgive him and welcome him back with open arms.

not me.

hogman64

ok so your relationship with nolan is his whole universe and we are all supposed to judge our opinions of him based on your experience with him.. I suppose ignorance is bliss.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: hogtusk on March 15, 2006, 09:02:58 am
It was time for Nolan to go. However if Nolan made an effort, I think fans would forgive him and welcome him back with open arms.

Maybe Frank too.  It might look something like this.........

;D

lyon98

When I read Tmac's post and the statement about the provocative conversation I assumed she made a sarcastic remark in voicing her opinion as to what the white gentleman felt. Reread it.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Tmac813

You my friend obviously read the post in it's entirety.  I think it was a dig on the establishment, not an insult to NR.  Thanks for the reply. WPS!

Tmac813

I don't think I'd be to welcomed at a Klan Rally my friend, unless I was like Dave Chappelle, with just the Clown suit on.  Since I'm a Black man, that would put me in line for a quick hanging.  Kind of like hanging out in Sprindale in the early eighties with black skin.  See how sorted this whole thing is?  People assumed I was a "redneck sob" for using the N-word.  U know and I know black folks sometimes uses it as an endearing term.  Mom's has a habit of doing it, even the the presence of the white-haired devils.  Who came up with that term BTW?

HogHeathen

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 15, 2006, 09:30:48 am
I really wish the university and Nolan would make up.  It's for the good of both parties. Nolan is a legend, I'd hate it when in 30 years he's dead and we never made up with the guy.  I'm sure deep down in some way Nolan really loves Arkansas and misses hearing the Hogs called

I agree with this statement...