Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaches Salaries & Bonuses

Started by Hogwild, October 08, 2015, 05:15:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

USAToday ran a few stories today about NCAA coaches salaries, one dealt with Wisconsin bucking the trend

QuoteThose 75 coaches stacked up 214 bonuses worth nearly $12.4 million. The median payout to a coach receiving a bonus was $95,000.

Utah State's Matt Wells got $5,000 for his team's win over in-state rival BYU. Western Michigan's P.J. Fleck totaled $21,750 from his players' individual all-Mid-American Conference team and academic honors.

Utah's Kyle Whittingham will get at least $15,000 because the Utes have moved into the national rankings.

Hawaii's Norm Chow picked up $25,000 in Week 1 for winning a nationally televised home game.

The link is about Wisconsin paying their coaches CBB is mentioned a few times
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2015/10/08/wisconsin-paul-chryst-barry-alvarez-gary-andersen/73546334/

This link is about the bonuses these coaches are getting
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/10/08/coaches-bonuses-gary-pinkel/73553784/

bennyl08

I read the article, but don't really see how Wiscy is bucking any trends. They are paying their HC same as everybody else. The only 'trend' is that their hc makes less now than 3 years ago because they've had some turnover at the position and the new guy has a less impressive resume.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hog1984

I think coaching salaries may be too high on average, but the market is driving the trend. I don't see volleyball and track coaches making what football coaches make. Football is a money maker for most power 5 schools. They have to pay market rates for good talent. It will continue until we run out of money to pay them.

Since Whisky is trying to hold the line on coaching salaries, why did Alvarez pay himself for coaching the bowl game after Coach BB left?

Hogwild

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 08, 2015, 06:05:53 pm
I read the article, but don't really see how Wiscy is bucking any trends. They are paying their HC same as everybody else. The only 'trend' is that their hc makes less now than 3 years ago because they've had some turnover at the position and the new guy has a less impressive resume.

Chryst's compensation ranks No. 9 among the 14 Big Ten schools, where the median salary is $2.5 million.

Bret Bielema was making $2.64 million at Wisconsin when he left for Arkansas after the 2012 season for a $3.2 million deal. Alvarez hired Andersen from Utah State for far less — $1.8 million. And if Bielema were still at Wisconsin, he'd be making at least $2.9 million this season.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hogwild on October 08, 2015, 11:39:51 pm
Chryst's compensation ranks No. 9 among the 14 Big Ten schools, where the median salary is $2.5 million.

Bret Bielema was making $2.64 million at Wisconsin when he left for Arkansas after the 2012 season for a $3.2 million deal. Alvarez hired Andersen from Utah State for far less — $1.8 million. And if Bielema were still at Wisconsin, he'd be making at least $2.9 million this season.

You literally copy pasted from the article what I've already read. Here

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

You can click on a school to see their year by year pay. For example

Year    Ark Coach  Salary  Wisc Coach  Salary
2015  Bielema      3.9       Chryst         2.3
2014  Bielema      3.2        Anderson    2.2
2013  Bielema      5.1        Anserson     2
2012  Smith         0.85      Bielema       2.6
2011  Petrino       3.6        Bielema       2.5
2010  Petrino        2.7       Bielema       1.7

I mean, you could make the argument that Arkansas was 'bucking' the trend by paying 3.6 million to 850 thousand, then still lower at 3.2 million. The coaches get paid by what people think they are worth. If Wisconsin had Bielema, he'd probably have earned a new contract since 2012 and would be over 3. As it stands, Wisconsin is paying above the national average, so to say they are bucking the trend is strange. That would be like saying the average trend for run pass is 70/30 with a growing trend towards running. Idaho is bucking that trend by running 75% of the time and only passing 25% of the time, which is actually pretty close to the median value in their own conference but technically their conference is a bit run heavy so comparatively, they are a bit more pass happy, even though they still run more than the national trend.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChitownHawg

Here is where Alverez is painting himself into a corner. CBB left because of low pay to assistants. Alverez scoffed at this and then paid himself something like $300k to coach the Rose Bowl.

He now becomes the main character in an article and claims they pay no attention to the other schools' pay structure. That and the dollars confirm CBB was correct.

Now if Chryst starts winning someone will come for him. If he loses and is fired then who will come with this type of reputation? At the very least Wisconsin is going to be a short stepping stone for up and coming coaches.

You cannot sustain winning with a revolving door to the head coach's office. Alverez and the Chancellor are moving their football program in the wrong direction. Eventually the fans will see that CBB was correct and this AD is a hypocrit in he pays others very little. Yet he felt he deserved $300k for one game. A game they lost.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"