Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KJ Hill

Started by Prestworthy, September 07, 2015, 09:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 09, 2015, 02:21:07 pm
I'll go ahead and add two more quarters to that and make it a full. I don't care what Hill does. I don't care whether he plays or not. But to bash a kid on arguably the biggest decision of his life just because you as a sad fan don't agree with it, is just that. Sad.

Not bashing the kid.  Just want in-state kids to see that it's better to go to Arkansas than to leave.  It's nothing personal.

But hey, you think whatever you want to think. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

yraciv

There is no use crying & griping about a kid over what has already been done.  Do I want to see all kids go to Arkansas? Sure! Do I understand when a better football program and academic institution offers you a full ride scholarship you'd be stupid not to consider it? Absolutely! Other than the whole NLR scandal and how is step-father handled the situation, I had no problem with how KJ handled his recruitment.  He didn't seem cocky/arrogant and he gave us a fair shot. That is all I ask!

Would I like to see him succeed over any Razorbacks absolutely not, but I'd much rather see him play and go on to the NFL over a local Columbus product.  If the next KJ in state recruit comes up and decides KJ Hill got out of Arkansas and succeeded so can I.  That is not the young man I want in my program.  It can be done both ways, and there are examples from both ends. As long as you don't show disrespect for your home state school and give them a shot that is all I ask.  And don't go choosing a comparable division rival either, that comes with backlash.  Josh Frazier chose the best program in the SEC and did things the right way too, so again no problem with that.     

Boarcephus

I think what Chris Gragg's dad said a month or so ago should be required reading for every in-state athlete.  Paraphrase here but he basically said if every in-state kid went to the UofA, did their best, kept their nose clean and stayed out of trouble, went to class and graduated the in-state companies will take care of them and they can be a success if their athletic career doesn't pan out.  I'd wager the folks in Ohio could care less about some kid from Arkansas who basically did nothing for the buckeyes at the end of his playing career.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Wildhog

Quote from: yraciv on September 09, 2015, 03:51:55 pm
Josh Frazier chose the best program in the SEC and did things the right way too, so again no problem with that.     

Hope he never plays a down either.  And he was kinda dickish with his announcement, minutes after we lost a heartbreaker in OT to MSU.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

yraciv

September 09, 2015, 04:26:22 pm #54 Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:34:14 pm by yraciv
Quote from: Boarcephus on September 09, 2015, 03:58:12 pm
I think what Chris Gragg's dad said a month or so ago should be required reading for every in-state athlete.  Paraphrase here but he basically said if every in-state kid went to the UofA, did their best, kept their nose clean and stayed out of trouble, went to class and graduated the in-state companies will take care of them and they can be a success if their athletic career doesn't pan out.  I'd wager the folks in Ohio could care less about some kid from Arkansas who basically did nothing for the buckeyes at the end of his playing career.

This is the biggest myth ever. I'm sure this is true in some cases, but do you think Korliss Marshall is going to be handed a job because he showed flashes for the Hogs. How is Cedric Cobbs doing these days?  Every school looks out for their own to some extent, but I wouldn't make hiring decisions based on if the young man was an Arkansas Razorback. Only advantage I would see, is it would probably get you in the door easier.  I've never seen an analysis of it and I know we like to think we're pretty good at, but every school does this.  If KJ Hill has a fine career at Ohio State and stays in good academic standing he'll be given opportunities too.  And Ohio State has a much larger fan base than Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: yraciv on September 09, 2015, 04:26:22 pm
This is the biggest myth ever. I'm sure this is true in some cases, but do you think Korliss Marshall is going to be handed a job because he showed flashes for the Hogs. How is Cedric Cobbs doing these days?  Every school looks out for their own to some extent, but I wouldn't make hiring decisions based on if the young man was an Arkansas Razorback. Only advantage I would see, is it would probably get you in the door easier.  I've never seen an analysis of it and I know we like to think we're pretty good at, but every school does this.  If KJ Hill has a fine career at Ohio State and stays in good academic standing he'll be given opportunities to.  And Ohio State has a much larger fan base than Arkansas.

Maybe you missed the part where he said keep your nose clean?? It isn't a 100% full proof deal, but they stand a lot better chance than kids who go out of state.

RME

Quote from: ricepig on September 09, 2015, 04:47:50 pm
Maybe you missed the part where he said keep your nose clean?? It isn't a 100% full proof deal, but they stand a lot better chance than kids who go out of state.

:puke:

yraciv

[\quote]
You start by saying it's the biggest myth ever, then follow that by writing that you're sure it's true in certain cases.  The Marshall and Cobbs examples don't really help your attempted point, they pissed in their own whisky.

You didn't finish your second to last sentence, opportunities to do what?
[/quote]

I left an o off too.  I still think it's a myth that we're so much better at getting our student athletes jobs.  I know of plenty recent U of A student athletes, from my time there, who kept their nose clean, graduated, were AR high school recruits, and have had  a bunch of odd jobs since that time.  DJ Williams is one who clearly benefited from his time as a productive Hog and has turned that into a good deal with the Little Rock news station.  Other less marquee guys haven't been as lucky, and no I'm not going to list names.  The University of Arkansas does not have near the alumni base of some of these huge schools, so in turn probably less boosters looking for student athletes to hire.

The myth in my opinion is that we do it better, not that it doesn't occur.  Sure you'll hear examples like DJ's, but those same stories come out of other football crazed alumni basis too. 

jseinfeld50

He has been getting some reps in practice. There was an article (I can't find now) that implied he might get some consideration as a returner and it mentioned him as a 3rd guy.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/08/kj_hill_ohio_state_freshman_wr.html

Pig In The City

I hope the young man represents his home state well. Just not against the Hogs