Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This place is a ghost town today

Started by cmiller01, November 18, 2012, 03:23:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cmiller01

Thought after footballs dismal performance this place would be a little more lively.

CallThemHawgs!

When is our next game? Seems like this season is just dragging along..

WaltKowalski

Most people still focused on the coaching search.

cmiller01

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on November 18, 2012, 03:25:29 pm
When is our next game? Seems like this season is just dragging along..

Not sure if serious... but there's one going on now. lol.

Foshodo

kinda surprised to see no real game thread... figured interest would be up so see these young guys grow into something great

WxHog

It's Longwood.  Nobody even heard of the school until it was on the schedule. 

It will be rocking for Syracuse. 

The_Iceman

Not worried. If Syracuse isn't a sell out, then I'll be upset.

rzrbackrob

Hogs still recovering from the lost decade.
Good is the enemy of great

The Boar War

64-36 Arkansas 17:52 left in the 2nd half.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 18, 2012, 03:31:55 pm
Not sure if serious... but there's one going on now. lol.

I was completely serious... hahaha. Guess that sums up the level of hype this season.. haha

GuvHog

November 18, 2012, 05:12:57 pm #10 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:14:41 pm by Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb
Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2012, 03:48:15 pm

Prepare to be upset. Back when the Bud was packed out, tickets were only around $10 to $15 a pop. Now they are $25 a pop minimum and in this economy, that makes a big difference. Here's to really hoping I'm wrong.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on November 18, 2012, 05:08:59 pm
I was completely serious... hahaha. Guess that sums up the level of hype this season.. haha

Thanksgiving Holidays...will hurt any sporting event in a college town full of students HEADED HOME!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Iceman

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on November 18, 2012, 05:12:57 pm
Prepare to be upset. Back when the Bud was packed out, tickets were only around $10 to $15 a pop. Now they are $25 a pop minimum and in this economy, that makes a big difference. Here's to really hoping I'm wrong.

You usually are........

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2012, 06:02:45 pm

You usually are........

Tell me this o wise one: when was the last time the Bud came close to selling out since the price hike to $25????
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Danny J

Quote from: WaltKowalski on November 18, 2012, 03:26:03 pm
Most people still focused on the coaching search.
Exactly what is happening. If we can go undefeated before we play Syracuse then BWA will be a complete packed house and if we can win that game, a lot of if's, then it will take care of itself.

HawgAdvocate

November 18, 2012, 06:15:52 pm #15 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:20:46 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on November 18, 2012, 06:05:44 pm
Tell me this o wise one: when was the last time the Bud came close to selling out since the price hike to $25????

The price hike has next to nothing to do with it. If people wanted to go, paying $25 wouldn't be a problem. We still see 50k+ paying $45+ for each ticket to a Razorback football game.

People just don't want to go. The in-game atmosphere isn't anywhere close to being what it once was. The mindset has been set to sit back and wait for the big games. Everyone wants a winner, but hardly anyone wants to help do their part and build one from the ground up.

I've been to every game, and will be at every game moving forward. $25 is not the reason.

The sad thing is that we've seen a decline in season ticket sales from last year to THIS year. Last season it was at 13.3k. This year it's around 12.5k. It's really sad.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 18, 2012, 06:16:30 pm
Lame x 10,000.
I don't think it is that far off....I am a diehard basketball fan as you know and I am just getting over here after being online since 2pm because of the coaching search. Now I don't think it has much to do with game attendance. I go with my dad to the games but he is old and just got back from KC last night and was tired so we skipped going today. Will be there tuesday though.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 18, 2012, 06:20:06 pm
I don't think it is that far off....I am a diehard basketball fan as you know and I am just getting over here after being online since 2pm because of the coaching search. Now I don't think it has much to do with game attendance. I go with my dad to the games but he is old and just got back from KC last night and was tired so we skipped going today. Will be there tuesday though.

Anyone that would rather sit on their tail and refresh a message board page 100x instead of going to the game (and they have a game ticket) needs a cold shower.

Sueie

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on November 18, 2012, 06:05:44 pm

ONLY a few years ago.  The OU game was a SELLOUT and there were not people outside selling tickets for that one.

I think this year Syracuse, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kentucky will sell out.  I would rather pay 25 to see a team that can compete than to pay a MINIMUM of 55 to see a team get demolished.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 18, 2012, 06:15:52 pm
The sad thing is that we've seen a decline in season ticket sales from last year to THIS year. Last season it was at 13.3k. This year it's around 12.5k. It's really sad.

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on this, HA.  Would you care to comment?

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 18, 2012, 06:22:46 pm
Anyone that would rather sit on their tail and refresh a message board page 100x instead of going to the game (and they have a game ticket) needs a cold shower.
Maybe you missed the part where I said that it has nothing to do with attendance and more to do with the actual topic of this thread...jumpball is a ghost town. So yes....the reason jumpball is dead has a lot to do with the coaching search. No question. This place was a lot more lively this time last year, from the best of my recollection, and we had a better football team last year and our basketball team is actually better this year. The only logical thing I can think of is the coaching search.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on November 18, 2012, 05:12:57 pm

That is a very lame excuse.  Just my opinion.

pghawg1

Program has been down 15 years going to take time to get built back up. Win these tough  home games crowds will start coming back.  :razorback:

Danny J

Quote from: pghawg1 on November 18, 2012, 06:58:53 pm
Program has been down 15 years going to take time to get built back up. Win these tough  home games crowds will start coming back.  :razorback:
For sure....you stay undefeated before Cuse and you then beat them and the place will start to fill back up in a big way.

RockChalkJayhawk

What do you guys think about the promotional aspects regarding the basketball program?

I'd be curious as to your thoughts.

Danny J

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 18, 2012, 07:15:31 pm
What do you guys think about the promotional aspects regarding the basketball program?

I'd be curious as to your thoughts.
Can you be more specific? You mean in terms of national perception and media starting to pay a bit more attention this season?

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 18, 2012, 07:17:42 pm
Can you be more specific? You mean in terms of national perception and media starting to pay a bit more attention this season?

Nationally ... no ... I mean locally, or state-wide.  Has basketball taken a back seat to football, even when the football season is a complete disaster?

I guess what I am getting at, is it seems to me that the University's promotion of basketball is small-scale.  The media is so entrenched in the football search and drama, it's like they don't even know we have a basketball program.  Additionally, their covering of Razorback basketball in my view, is essentially pathetic.  But it makes me wonder, is there not an interest for basketball information?  I am just asking.

As an obvious supporter of Coach Anderson, I just feel there should be more support for what the basketball Hogs are up to, regardless of opponent.  I would have thought that since Mike took the job, the interest would be up, and people would be excited enough to get to games and so forth.  NWA is heavily populated, and unlike Guv, I feel $25 is the same as free tickets.

I guess the Bud isn't the place to be, yet. 

uncle bubs

What was the attendance today? They sounded pretty lively on the radio.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

Danny J

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 18, 2012, 07:23:55 pm
Nationally ... no ... I mean locally, or state-wide.  Has basketball taken a back seat to football, even when the football season is a complete disaster?

I guess what I am getting at, is it seems to me that the University's promotion of basketball is small-scale.  The media is so entrenched in the football search and drama, it's like they don't even know we have a basketball program.  Additionally, their covering of Razorback basketball in my view, is essentially pathetic.  But it makes me wonder, is there not an interest for basketball information?  I am just asking.

As an obvious supporter of Coach Anderson, I just feel there should be more support for what the basketball Hogs are up to, regardless of opponent.  I would have thought that since Mike took the job, the interest would be up, and people would be excited enough to get to games and so forth.  NWA is heavily populated, and unlike Guv, I feel $25 is the same as free tickets.

Ok...you are right and I started a thread about it a few weeks ago. The media has remained almost totally focused on football and the coaching search but has started to talk a bit more about the basketball team over the last week. It is going to be up to MA and the team to make people stand up and notice. No matter what happens and what they do right now they are going to take a back seat to the coaching search ESPECIALLY after the LSU game friday.

The_Iceman

Quote from: uncle bubs on November 18, 2012, 07:28:03 pm
What was the attendance today? They sounded pretty lively on the radio.

About 6k.

Hawg414

doesnt help that almost every pre-conference game used to be on TV.  ARSN i think it was.  the games Paul Eels used to announce on KATV chan 7 in LR.  pretty certain it was ARSN.  used to televise virtually every game, as long as there was not a holiday conflict.. or a network conflict with something bigger.  even midnight madness was televised. 

now we are 2 games into the season already and the only thing we have seen are highlights on the nightly news.  and i have no idea when the first televised game is, thus im likely to miss it anyway.  in the past you just tuned in if there was a game scheduled... and it was on. 

im sure somewhere along the way we signed some sort of contract that guarantees us more games on, like, espn internet.. or fox sports central southeastern northwest.  but regardless, it has equaled less practical viewing.  less viewing equals less interest. 

hamARchy in the USA

There's an elephant in the room ...

Dominicanhog

Swinesong1

WxHog

Quote from: Hawg414 on November 18, 2012, 07:55:07 pm
doesnt help that almost every pre-conference game used to be on TV.  ARSN i think it was.  the games Paul Eels used to announce on KATV chan 7 in LR.  pretty certain it was ARSN.  used to televise virtually every game, as long as there was not a holiday conflict.. or a network conflict with something bigger.  even midnight madness was televised. 

now we are 2 games into the season already and the only thing we have seen are highlights on the nightly news.  and i have no idea when the first televised game is, thus im likely to miss it anyway.  in the past you just tuned in if there was a game scheduled... and it was on. 

im sure somewhere along the way we signed some sort of contract that guarantees us more games on, like, espn internet.. or fox sports central southeastern northwest.  but regardless, it has equaled less practical viewing.  less viewing equals less interest. 

To an extent, I think that this does play a role.  Once TV games become televised, interest will increase.  The more casual follower will see over time that this is the most exciting team in 10+ years. 

The first statewide broadcast is Tuesday night vs. Florida A&M.  Consistent TV broadcast kicks in soon after that.

apcapri

WxHog

November 18, 2012, 08:45:00 pm #38 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:47:05 pm by WxHog
Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 18, 2012, 08:35:06 pm
Rivals said almost 12k is that just BS?
Sounds like almost 12,000 tickets were sold, but only 5,835 showed up.

Here is where I pulled out 5,835:
http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=2&c=1241409&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2farkansas.scout.com%2f2%2f1241409.html%3futm_source%3ddlvr.it%26utm_medium%3dtwitter

The_Iceman

Quote from: WxHog on November 18, 2012, 08:45:00 pm
Sounds like almost 12,000 tickets were sold, but only 5,835 showed up.

Here is where I pulled out 5,835:
http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=2&c=1241409&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2farkansas.scout.com%2f2%2f1241409.html%3futm_source%3ddlvr.it%26utm_medium%3dtwitter

I was there. There was not 12,000 there.

Maybe 300 in the upper deck. Bottom was probably half full.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2012, 03:48:15 pm

I was looking for tickets to the Syracuse game today (I'll be in NWA over Thanksgiving) and they had less than 50 total. Not sure if that's an accurate sign of a sell-out, but that's a pretty low number for any event on Stubhub.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Swinesong1

Quote from: cmiller01 on November 18, 2012, 03:23:57 pm
Thought after footballs dismal performance this place would be a little more lively.
You should know by now that there are a whole lot of bandwagn jumpers in this state (and on jumpball) who call themselves "fans" only when the team is in the spotlight nationally.  Watch home many of them come out of the woodwork once the team is prominent again.  I guarantee you this board will be jumping on gamedays when that happens. 

Breems

We beat up on a bunch of white guys on a Sunday.  We do the same thing every year and worry about attendance early in the season.

The big games will get big crowds and the others will be average.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Swinesong1

Quote from: Breems on November 18, 2012, 08:52:02 pm
We beat up on a bunch of white guys on a Sunday.  We do the same thing every year and worry about attendance early in the season.

The big games will get big crowds and the others will be average.
So would you prefer seeing a bunch of black guys gettng beat up on Saturday?  Will you then be entertained?

doc53

Still water-logged from the Heath-Pel era
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

cardsNhogs

I didn't expect the big crowds until after the Vegas trip. I was at BWA for the Michigan game last season and it was very good crowd and environment. I expect more than that against Syracuse so a sale out would not surprise me one bit.

cityhog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 18, 2012, 06:15:52 pm
The price hike has next to nothing to do with it. If people wanted to go, paying $25 wouldn't be a problem. We still see 50k+ paying $45+ for each ticket to a Razorback football game.

People just don't want to go. The in-game atmosphere isn't anywhere close to being what it once was. The mindset has been set to sit back and wait for the big games. Everyone wants a winner, but hardly anyone wants to help do their part and build one from the ground up.

I've been to every game, and will be at every game moving forward. $25 is not the reason.

So hiring MA wasn't the silver bullet everyone predicted?

Swinesong1

Quote from: cityhog on November 18, 2012, 09:54:01 pm

So hiring MA wasn't the silver bullet everyone predicted?
I'll bite...
I wanted Anderson to be the head coach instead of Heath and definitely instead of Pel!  But, I also was not and am not niave enough to know that hiring him would be a "silver bullet".  A lot of people did not and do not want him as head coach.  So people will continue to show their disappointment with him being the head coach by not going to games.  Others will show it by only posting negative messages on this and other boards. But with or without the haters, this program will be successful under Anderson.   

RockChalkJayhawk

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 18, 2012, 10:06:35 pm
I'll bite...
I wanted Anderson to be the head coach instead of Heath and definitely instead of Pel!  But, I also was not and am not niave enough to know that hiring him would be a "silver bullet".  A lot of people did not and do not want him as head coach.  So people will continue to show their disappointment with him being the head coach by not going to games.  Others will show it by only posting negative messages on this and other boards. But with or without the haters, this program will be successful under Anderson.   

Don't you have to go back to 1994, to really get into this dynamic?  Were kids like Breems and Smithian even born yet?  There is an entire generation of kids/students who's primary association with Razorback basketball is Health and Pel, so I'd think that Anderson on the scene would generate some enthusiasm.  Maybe its just older guys like myself who still recall when Razorback Basketball was a huge deal even nationally, let alone state-wide.

Most likely you guys are right, Anderson and company will have to do something fantastic to generate interest, but I'd sure like to see people get behind the team.   And I'd like to see the U Of A get more aggressive with its promotion of the program.