Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Early sign period, + or - for the Hogs?

Started by ricepig, February 04, 2015, 01:07:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

It appears after a vote this summer that there will be an early signing period/day in the 2016 class. Do you think this helps, or hurts us in recruiting? I think it will help, as it will define some fence sitters earlier, and guys at schools that push out there commits will have more time to find a home.

JaketheSnake

It will at least free our coaches up some to recruit the fence sitters a little harder.

bighog77

It will help for those who jump ship when we lose a coach

IBleedRazorbackRed

I think it would be bad for us. We typically rely on getting kids in here late, a lot of those kids are committed elsewhere. It would make those late flips harder.

ricepig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on February 04, 2015, 01:25:40 pm
I think it would be bad for us. We typically rely on getting kids in here late, a lot of those kids are committed elsewhere. It would make those late flips harder.

We flipped Jackson and Sykes late, I wouldn't say that's "a lot".

Hoggish1

Does it make both parties bound by the LOI in December?  If so, great.

School will be more careful about the offers they give out (UT/USCe, etc.) and kids will not be flipping.  May not make a whole lot of difference for some schools, but it will help the Hogs!

Will get a lot of drama out of the way early.

JBoroHog

I'm not sure if it would be good or bad specifically for the hogs. But I know I'm in favor of it and I think I would love it as a coach. If someone is committed to me early and I can lock him up a month or two before NSD, you can sleep better and focus on the remaining slots. I don't like this recruiting Whack-A-Mole.

jgphillips3

We would probably average signing 10-12 guys in the early period who would be Razorbacks no matter what.  We wouldn't have to worry about a position coach leaving causing defections among those already signed.  We could concentrate recruiting effort and resources into those fewer spots without having to visit out punter every week just to make sure he stays committed.  Yes, we might lose someone here and there who signed early with someone else but we might retain someone else who would have waffled later.  It's a good idea overall.

Smokehouse

Could just be loss aversion creating an anchoring effect, but I seem to remember way more recruits flipping away from the Hogs late than too them on most years.

The early signing period stops the traditional powers from pushing themselves in the door late, where their name will always at least get them heard, assuming you can get the recruit to sign early.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Thepigdoctor

Helps. Get them signed and on campus for the spring semester if possible.

Know who you've got locked up as Hogs and keep those kids from the vultures. Wish we could have signed Jones for '16 yesterday. He's all Hog, but that doesn't stop the press on him, when he deserves to enjoy his senior year and prepare for being a Hog.

I think it helps kids more than anything, except in the case of a coaching change, but I imagine those kids are let out of loi's anyways.

CDBHawg

I think it's a positive as a whole.

Let the big dogs fill up and force them to be selective during the early period.

CDBHawg

It's totally change the process. And probably cut down on late flips in general. Doesn't mean we couldn't sign a kid early that  say a Bama would tell to wait. I think it'd help I'm that regard. 

italian9005

Wouldn't hurt us I would think saying we signed almost everyone early

Bubba's Bruisers

Seems a program like ours would need more time than the elite programs to convince a kid to sign with use.  I'm sure there will be tremendous pressure on the top players to sign early to the elite programs.  A kid with an opportunity to sign early with Bama might not take the chance on giving us more time to sell fayetteville.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

SquidBilly

I see it as a plus.  The cost of recruiting is ballooning every year.  By having an early signing period we can protect our early commits without the need to have to go back and re-recruit them to keep the other schools away.  The number of kids who want to stretch their recruitment to the traditional signing day will not change much so the late flips will still be there available.

Poncaswine

Coach B said tonight at signing day on the Hill that he was all for it. Stated that kids that were ready to be hogs in the beginning would not have to go through people pulling them in different directions. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.