Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New guys most likely to contribute next year

Started by swinesation, February 04, 2015, 12:18:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I'll go with JC transfers Reed & Ledbetter, then Merrick, Froholdt, Blake Johnson, and one of the TE's (they're all three pretty equally rated, so whichever one grabs the opportunity - though you'd have to give the edge to Gragg since he's already enrolled).

For my surprise contributor I'll go with Nate Dalton. Maybe he'll be next year's Toliver.

Who you got?

schmeck

Any of the WR's, the OL guys will play and add depth to the line but will probably not start yet (B. Wallace to fill in for Brey Cook), Frohodlt on the DLine, any of the LBers and Safties could definately see extensive playing time as depth fillers...
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

code red

Quote from: schmeck on February 04, 2015, 12:23:01 pm
Any of the WR's, the OL guys will play and add depth to the line but will probably not start yet (B. Wallace to fill in for Brey Cook), Frohodlt on the DLine, any of the LBers and Safties could definately see extensive playing time as depth fillers...
Agree Reeds speed will get him PT.  Esp...in my mind....on the boundary where he's likely to get 1 on 1.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jm

JayBell

Froholdt and Ledbetter for sure.  After that, maybe Graham or Jackson at linebacker?

Arkansas now has experienced upperclassmen at every position except safety.  Even last year, with a non-great set of receivers, the new guys that played the most (Cornelius, Hollister) enrolled early.  Reed or Pettway may get some looks, but I think Jojo is going to be the guy getting more reps.

swinesation

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2015, 12:52:17 pm
Froholdt and Ledbetter for sure.  After that, maybe Graham or Jackson at linebacker?

Arkansas now has experienced upperclassmen at every position except safety.  Even last year, with a non-great set of receivers, the new guys that played the most (Cornelius, Hollister) enrolled early.  Reed or Pettway may get some looks, but I think Jojo is going to be the guy getting more reps.

I agree that getting here late could hurt Reed a bit, but he has two year's experience in JC and a skill set unlike any of our other receivers. I'm guessing he'll be a starter by the middle of the season.

Großer Kriegschwein

After three games, Reed will change the way teams prepare for us. Immediate change with Keon and Reed on the field at the same time. Add Henry/Sprinkle/Cantrell/O'Grady/ Gragg (any combination of them) and there is immediate attention that opponents must give our passing game.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hogdomer

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2015, 12:52:17 pm

Safety?  Rohan Gaines is back and Josh Liddell started two games late in the year.

duckman

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 03:53:18 pm
After three games, Reed will change the way teams prepare for us. Immediate change with Keon and Reed on the field at the same time. Add Henry/Sprinkle/Cantrell/O'Grady/ Gragg (any combination of them) and there is immediate attention that opponents must give our passing game.

JoJo can fly too.....

ShadowTheHedgehog

Großer Kriegschwein

Großer Kriegschwein

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 04:06:43 pm
We have a Johnson....

Sorry, I had to

Yup yup, but he was left out of the possible recruits that will contribute as a freshman.

PaintballHog

Reed will have a domino affect impact. When he's plucking bombs over db's against TT, teams will back off the box and our run game will benefit.

deedster84

Hollywood_HOGan45

hawginbigd1

Graham, Ledbetter, Froholdt, Merrick, and Johnson. Others will contribute just not as much IMO.

PIGZSNOUT

There are 24 or 25 young men that will contribute to the team. One way or the other each and every one of them will contribute something to the TEAM. Level of impact will vary, but each of the these Hogs will be an asset!!!! Don't take anything away from anyone at this point, because hopefully all of them will blossom into position dominating beasts chewing up FCS and SEC opponents!

JayBell

Quote from: Hogdomer on February 04, 2015, 04:02:22 pmSafety?  Rohan Gaines is back and Josh Liddell started two games late in the year.

Gaines is a wild card after the suspension.  Who knows what could happen with him.  And Liddell will be a sophomore.  That's not an upperclassman.  After them there's a handful of sophomores-to-be, i.e. *not* upperclassmen, and Davyon McKinney, who played in just four games as a junior.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: JayBell on February 04, 2015, 04:34:35 pm
Gaines is a wild card after the suspension.  Who knows what could happen with him.  And Liddell will be a sophomore.  That's not an upperclassman.  After them there's a handful of sophomores-to-be, i.e. *not* upperclassmen, and Davyon McKinney, who played in just four games as a junior.

Gaines has been allowed back on the team, per CBB.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 04:06:43 pm
We have a Johnson....

Sorry, I had to
Has he signed yet? Rivals shows that he hasn't..

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 04, 2015, 06:17:20 pm
Has he signed yet? Rivals shows that he hasn't..

:razorback:

Yes. They haven't paid attention to Twitter. CBB mentioned him in his PC and that means he has a signed NLI.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 06:19:54 pm
Yes. They haven't paid attention to Twitter. CBB mentioned him in his PC and that means he has a signed NLI.
Thanks.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 04, 2015, 06:22:23 pm
Thanks.

NP. I have a job that's not too taxing and can keep up with multiple social media outlets. I try to help a little.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Reed, Cantrell, Gragg, 1 or 2 offensive lineman for depth, Froholdt, Bell in pass rushing scenarios, Graham, Johnson

Tim Harris

Quote from: deedster84 on February 04, 2015, 04:22:29 pm
Jamario Bell

This is one Coach B specifically named. He mentioned him being that pass rushing DE we don't currently have.

FANONTHEHILL

Greenlaw is the sleeper in this class no one is talking about.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Wooderson

Will Gragg overtake Sprinkle for Derby's role?  Cantrell will be used as an H back it seems.

The DE's will be the biggest factors out of this class.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

jgphillips3

It's so hard to predict who absorbs the terminology and playbook quickly (offense or defense) and can then 'play fast'.  However, I would think Froholdt, Reed, Cantrell, Merrick, O'Grady, Bell and Johnson all have the potential to contribute at their positions.  I figure one of the secondary guys will surprise and emerge but no idea who and RW3 might be too good to keep a RS on.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Wooderson on February 05, 2015, 08:14:21 am
Will Gragg overtake Sprinkle for Derby's role?  Cantrell will be used as an H back it seems.

The DE's will be the biggest factors out of this class.

I'm gonna love it when we have two TE's and Cantrell in the backfield with a RB. We look like we are about to power run, and then oops....play action and we have three big, fast TE's/H-backs out running routes.

whosiskid

I think that while in the long run Hjalte Froholdt will be the player with the greatest potential, he is unlikely to make a major impact his freshman year. Defensive line is one of the positions where players are unlikely to contribute extensively as a freshman. Look at Bijohn Jackson last year. Huge and talented and relatively polished for a freshman, and one of the strongest players on the team if not the strongest, and he played only a little bit. I think that is what we can expect next year. But after that I wouldn't be surprised if he became one of the top players in the SEC. He just bristles with talent and athleticism. He is one of the most fluid players at his size I've ever seen. And while he has played football for a long time, most of that was on 7-man Danish teams.

If Austin Cantrell stays at TE - I predict that Smith and Hargreaves will request moving him to linebacker - I think he might start as a freshman. He and Ty Storey are perhaps the two most underrated players we signed in terms of ratings. I honestly thought Storey (and Froholdt) should have been 5 star players. Froholdt was nearly a 5 star after his exchange student year as a sophomore, but his ratings suffered his junior year when he went back to Denmark, and they never bounced back up. Storey suffered for playing for a very small school. But at camps and combines he frequently outshone 5-star QBs from larger schools with his arm strength and accuracy. Anyway, I think the defensive guys will stress that Austin played all over the fields and not just at tight end. If I am correct, he played some quarterback, running back, wide receiver on offense, in addition to tight end, while he also played several spots on defense while kicking and punting. Every position seems to be his position. The thought of a guy who is as fast as he is (I believe I read that he was the anchor for his school's 400 relay team) playing middle linebacker [though he has the speed to play safety - can you imagine a 6'4, 255 pound safety?] in the middle is tantalizing) is an exciting one. I am not saying he will move to linebacker, but I bet you it is a conversation the coaches will have, especially given they have Gragg and O'Grady as well.

Speaking of which, I think both Gragg and O'Grady will contribute immediately.

But like most people here, I think the two most likely to contribute the most next year, unless Storey wins the starting job in the spring - and remember, we have a new offensive coordinator who will also be the new QB coach, and as a result he will be freer to make a major change at QB than Chaney was - are Ledbetter and Reed. And of course, the new punter.

Also recall that we have some unusually good redshirts next year. The best are Brian Wallace, Cole Hedlund, Rafe Peavey (the dilemma Enos has is that the Allens are the most experienced QBs, but Peavey and Storey the more talented ones - this is going to be a very interesting spring training) and Joe Robinson. Robinson and Reed will really shake things up  in the passing game. Of last year's new guys I really liked the potential Cornelius flashed, and Hollister proved he could be a reliable possession target, but no one had the downfield ability that Reed and Robinson have.

All in all, I think the new players we will be able to put on the field will be more talented than the ones we lost this year, apart from Spaight, who was clearly the heart and soul of the defense.

I think Bell will be huge eventually but I bet he is redshirted. He is a great athlete but everything I've read indicates that his technique is lacking. We have some depth at DE so I think they'll polish him up a bit before letting him play a lot as a redshirt freshman.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Artex501

Nice to see so many different names on here, most I can remember in one class :razorback:

cypert2

Quote from: whosiskid on February 05, 2015, 08:45:32 am
I think that while in the long run Hjalte Froholdt will be the player with the greatest potential, he is unlikely to make a major impact his freshman year. Defensive line is one of the positions where players are unlikely to contribute extensively as a freshman. Look at Bijohn Jackson last year. Huge and talented and relatively polished for a freshman, and one of the strongest players on the team if not the strongest, and he played only a little bit. I think that is what we can expect next year. But after that I wouldn't be surprised if he became one of the top players in the SEC. He just bristles with talent and athleticism. He is one of the most fluid players at his size I've ever seen. And while he has played football for a long time, most of that was on 7-man Danish teams.

If Austin Cantrell stays at TE - I predict that Smith and Hargreaves will request moving him to linebacker - I think he might start as a freshman. He and Ty Storey are perhaps the two most underrated players we signed in terms of ratings. I honestly thought Storey (and Froholdt) should have been 5 star players. Froholdt was nearly a 5 star after his exchange student year as a sophomore, but his ratings suffered his junior year when he went back to Denmark, and they never bounced back up. Storey suffered for playing for a very small school. But at camps and combines he frequently outshone 5-star QBs from larger schools with his arm strength and accuracy. Anyway, I think the defensive guys will stress that Austin played all over the fields and not just at tight end. If I am correct, he played some quarterback, running back, wide receiver on offense, in addition to tight end, while he also played several spots on defense while kicking and punting. Every position seems to be his position. The thought of a guy who is as fast as he is (I believe I read that he was the anchor for his school's 400 relay team) playing middle linebacker [though he has the speed to play safety - can you imagine a 6'4, 255 pound safety?] in the middle is tantalizing) is an exciting one. I am not saying he will move to linebacker, but I bet you it is a conversation the coaches will have, especially given they have Gragg and O'Grady as well.

Speaking of which, I think both Gragg and O'Grady will contribute immediately.

But like most people here, I think the two most likely to contribute the most next year, unless Storey wins the starting job in the spring - and remember, we have a new offensive coordinator who will also be the new QB coach, and as a result he will be freer to make a major change at QB than Chaney was - are Ledbetter and Reed. And of course, the new punter.

Also recall that we have some unusually good redshirts next year. The best are Brian Wallace, Cole Hedlund, Rafe Peavey (the dilemma Enos has is that the Allens are the most experienced QBs, but Peavey and Storey the more talented ones - this is going to be a very interesting spring training) and Joe Robinson. Robinson and Reed will really shake things up  in the passing game. Of last year's new guys I really liked the potential Cornelius flashed, and Hollister proved he could be a reliable possession target, but no one had the downfield ability that Reed and Robinson have.

All in all, I think the new players we will be able to put on the field will be more talented than the ones we lost this year, apart from Spaight, who was clearly the heart and soul of the defense.

I think Bell will be huge eventually but I bet he is redshirted. He is a great athlete but everything I've read indicates that his technique is lacking. We have some depth at DE so I think they'll polish him up a bit before letting him play a lot as a redshirt freshman.

Believe you are spot on about Cantrell. If our other TE recruits are as advertised I can't see him getting buried on the TE depth chart. Looking at his film you could definitely see him moving to the defense and make a huge contribution. Kid is very athletic  for his size.
Swinging on the two and the four.