Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dominique Reed

Started by Houston h, February 04, 2015, 08:32:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

Quote from: supersaint on February 04, 2015, 10:55:13 am
You are not a tree, but nice try.

I'm trying to understand, but it's just not happening for me right now...

cubsfan5150

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2015, 10:33:10 am
I had a partial academic scholarship and still had to take remedial. My math scores pulled my act score down big time. I just never had much aptitude at it but I did have an aptitude for gaming the system. (I so regret opting to game it rather than to buckle down and learn it.)

OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

FreshHog

Too all you people freaking out over algebra... you do realize its initially taught in like.. 8th or 9th grade right? I'm sure this man can handle algebra... It's not even remotely close to difficult.

Now if he had to take calculus... then yea I'd agree ( Took it last semester, hardest class I've ever taken in my life, thank jesus I got a B and dont have to take Calc 2/3 ).

But algebra is basically 1 step up from arithmetic.

010HogFan

Quote from: FreshHog on February 04, 2015, 11:04:12 am
Too all you people freaking out over algebra... you do realize its initially taught in like.. 8th or 9th grade right? I'm sure this man can handle algebra... It's not even remotely close to difficult.

Now if he had to take calculus... then yea I'd agree ( Took it last semester, hardest class I've ever taken in my life, thank jesus I got a B and dont have to take Calc 2/3 ).

The computer program makes the math more difficult than it should be. It's not as easy as you might think.

FreshHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 10:42:05 am
Algebra isn't about angles.  That's geometry.

Not true at all...

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-eighth-grade-math/cc-8th-geometry/cc-8th-angles-between-lines/v/using-algebra-to-find-measures-of-angles-formed-from-transversal

But yea they dont teach how to USE ALGEBRA to measure angles etc... until you take geometry... BUT ITS ALGEBRA I PROMISE! :P

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2015, 10:03:52 am
They have plenty of basketball games left

Speaking of basketball. He can help them there too if they wanted him to and if he wanted to. And I'm being serious. Dude can ball.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Großer Kriegschwein

Now he doesn't have to worry about football aside from working out. He can concentrate on whatever he needs to stay qualified. Coaching staff believes that he will be a qualifier.
Not everybody has an aptitude for mathematics. Don't be condescending
This is my non-signature signature.

LR Hog

Like a boss.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Yes, but our English department has failed you I see.
ched come back pls

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ricepig

6'2" 172lbs per the UofA
Welcome home to another Arkansas native and now Razorback @Speedkills_03 #WoooPig http://t.co/IH1Vrp2LRq

UofA_Hogs

Its OFFICIAL, on the ARK NSD site

FreshHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 04, 2015, 11:05:56 am
The computer program makes the math more difficult than it should be. It's not as easy as you might think.

The computer program is mymathlab... its only used for homework these days, and a lot of teachers are moving AWAY from it.

As long as the TEACHER in your class is good, you'll be fine. Mymathlab is simply picky on the homework, which is why most teachers grade it on a curve and then do their own tests/quizzes in class.

I've never had a math class that has all their homework, quizzes, and tests done on mymathlab. Again, trust me. It's not nearly as hard as people are making it out to be. He'll be more than fine.

onebadrubi

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 04, 2015, 10:40:59 am
Yep. Just do all the practices punching keys and copying. Memorize configurations. It was a crappy way to teach, but the blame is still on me.

Haha, so I wasn't the only one to do this in college algebra? 

FreshHog

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on February 04, 2015, 11:08:51 am
Yes, but our English department has failed you I see.

Or its because I just woke up like 10 minutes ago (hands are cold, makes typing a little wonky, especially with a mechanical keyboard with red switches that I barely have to touch to input a key ) and dont have my glasses on ( I'm blind as hell, can barely read what I'm typing right now without straining LOL ).

onebadrubi

Quote from: FreshHog on February 04, 2015, 11:12:58 am
The computer program is mymathlab... its only used for homework these days, and a lot of teachers are moving AWAY from it.

As long as the TEACHER in your class is good, you'll be fine. Mymathlab is simply picky on the homework, which is why most teachers grade it on a curve and then do their own tests/quizzes in class.

I've never had a math class that has all their homework, quizzes, and tests done on mymathlab. Again, trust me. It's not nearly as hard as people are making it out to be. He'll be more than fine.

At the U of A a few years back it was used for Homework, a mandatory study guide before the test even became available, and then you took your test on the computer.  If there was an error, you just got it wrong.  I remember after EVERY test, you would get an email saying questions number x, y and Z were graded incorrectly and we are excepting answers b,c,d on top of the already excepted answer, then you would see your grade increase. 

FreshHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 11:07:10 am
Now he doesn't have to worry about football aside from working out. He can concentrate on whatever he needs to stay qualified. Coaching staff believes that he will be a qualifier.

I wasn't being condescending at all. If you took it that way, then that's on you.

ricepig

Quote from: FreshHog on February 04, 2015, 11:14:27 am
Or its because I just woke up like 10 minutes ago (hands are cold, makes typing a little wonky, especially with a mechanical keyboard with red switches that I barely have to touch to input a key ) and dont have my glasses on ( I'm blind as hell, can barely read what I'm typing right now without straining LOL ).

Or, you made a mistake.......

FreshHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 04, 2015, 11:15:06 am
At the U of A a few years back it was used for Homework, a mandatory study guide before the test even became available, and then you took your test on the computer.  If there was an error, you just got it wrong.  I remember after EVERY test, you would get an email saying questions number x, y and Z were graded incorrectly and we are excepting answers b,c,d on top of the already excepted answer, then you would see your grade increase.

Yea that sucks. Like I said, I took it just a couple of years ago, and have been in math courses since I got into college that use mymathlab, but its simply for homework at this point. I'd venture to say 90% of teachers have realized its an awful program due to how strict it is on its answers ( You could have the right answer, but write it down in a different order, or even over simplify it, and it will tell you you're wrong ).

forrest city joe

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2015, 11:10:28 am
6'2" 172lbs per the UofA
Welcome home to another Arkansas native and now Razorback @Speedkills_03 #WoooPig http://t.co/IH1Vrp2LRq
Great news. can we please get this thread back on Reed the football player, and all his talents. he is big time. and now he is a Hog. and remember that he said this. QUOTE.       
Dominique Reed on choosing #Arkansas. "I just wanted to come home and play for my home state." Said he will graduate from Coffeyville in May

LR Hog

Did Reed's commitment bump us up any in the rankings? 
Like a boss.

Hogsmo Kramer

Hang on, hang on, you told me last night I need to get a job and you just woke up 10 minutes ago?!

Classic. :D :D :D
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

FreshHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2015, 11:16:11 am
Or, you made a mistake.......

Man the trolls are out early today.

WooPig90

Excuses

FreshHog

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 04, 2015, 11:18:32 am
Hang on, hang on, you told me last night I need to get a job and you just woke up 10 minutes ago?!

Classic. :D :D :D

I'm a full time student working an internship, I have wednesday's off to work on my capstone project.

#CollegeLife

Polecat

wow..........this thread certainly derailed
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

LRHog234

As a senior at the UofA I've yet to meet anyone who has taken College Algebra here with  teacher that spoke English as their first language... For example my teacher was Chen Zhang, and she didn't understand the term 'review' meant to go over previous lessons before a test... These teachers are TA's who most of the time have no interest in teaching but are required since every student on campus has to take College Algebra.

Both homework and tests are online, and if you get a question wrong you can fill out a multiple page request form to have them look at the question in case you put a comma incorrectly or round up to the 3rd decimal instead of 4th.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 04, 2015, 11:17:52 am
Great news. can we please get this thread back on Reed the football player, and all his talents. he is big time. and now he is a Hog. and remember that he said this. QUOTE.       
Dominique Reed on choosing #Arkansas. "I just wanted to come home and play for my home state." Said he will graduate from Coffeyville in May

+1, Go get em Joe!
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Bubba's Bruisers

Well, we certainly don't conduct enough English lessons around here.  Thank goodness we're making up lost ground today.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lasthog

I did much better in my math classes in my educational career than I did in my forty and vertical.

I guess some things can be improved significantly with a little more focus and effort, some you have to be born with the proper gene set to excel in.

Mr. Reed will do what he needs to do. 

Watch DR catch and run.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Polecat on February 04, 2015, 11:19:28 am
wow..........this thread certainly derailed

Sorry couldn't resist just had to make a point.

Anyway back on topic, I'm super excited about Reed he's gonna be an immediate impact guy so huge get today.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: FreshHog on February 04, 2015, 11:19:23 am
I'm a full time student working an internship, I have wednesday's off to work on my capstone project.

#CollegeLife

You should have used a period instead of a comma.   ;) :P
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

FreshHog

Quote from: lasthog on February 04, 2015, 11:21:02 am
I did much better in my math classes in my educational career than I did in my forty and vertical.

I guess some things can be improved significantly with a little more focus and effort, some you have to be born with the proper gene set to excel in.

Mr. Reed will do what he needs to do. 

Watch DR catch and run.

Yep. Like I said, I'm absolutely sure he'll be just fine. Glad to have him as a hog. Gotta love instate kids coming home to represent. Wish him nothing but the best, someone should email him a link to the khan academy as its an invaluable asset for math courses, and can completely make up for a lack of good teaching.

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 04, 2015, 11:22:31 am

Oh god the HORROR!

root_hawg

21st on ESPN last I saw

LR Hog

Quote from: root_hawg on February 04, 2015, 11:23:10 am
21st on ESPN last I saw

I had hoped that it might because according to his bio on the Razorback web page he is a 4 star per ESPN.
Like a boss.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: root_hawg on February 04, 2015, 11:23:10 am
21st on ESPN last I saw

22 on Rivals, so pretty much all services agree with our class.  It's solid by our standards, so we're slowly closing the gap.

If we can consistently sign classes around 20 every year, then we'll be very good.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: FreshHog on February 04, 2015, 11:22:44 am

Oh god the HORROR!

I was trying to make fun of the English police.

Polecat

excited to see Coach Herb work with him. Add 15 pounds of muscle and keep his speed and he has a chance to be a real weapon
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

mhuff

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 04, 2015, 11:07:10 am

It might be easy for you ,but math is not easy for some. You really haven't been paying attention to the number of players in the past that have not been able to get into UA because of college algebra...... My objection is that unless it is a SEC requirement for all schools and they all will not accept "D's" as transfers, we do not need to have requirements that hurt us to the benefit of others. It is one college class.

FreshHog

LR Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 04, 2015, 11:25:19 am
22 on Rivals, so pretty much all services agree with our class.  It's solid by our standards, so we're slowly closing the gap.

If we can consistently sign classes around 20 every year, then we'll be very good.

I think if we keep improving we will only go up from here.  I have said that in the past as well though.
Like a boss.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: LR Hog on February 04, 2015, 11:29:45 am
I think if we keep improving we will only go up from here.  I have said that in the past as well though.

Keep winning and recruiting will just keep getting better.

Our former coach wasn't a good barometer for that equation since he's a pretty polarizing figure and coach B doesn't seem to be.

010HogFan

Quote from: FreshHog on February 04, 2015, 11:12:58 am

Every math homework, quiz, and test I had at the U of A was given in mylabsplus, so you're wrong about it only being homework. We had to go to the lab on campus to take our tests via the computer. Nothing was handwritten and the instructors were little to no help. Everything was self taught or guessed until I got it right.  THIS is the reason it is hard, not the subject matter itself. There's a reason so many people take math at other schools. It is every bit as concerning as people are making it out to be, regardless what math it is.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on February 04, 2015, 08:57:37 am
Two years to play and won't need three years to learn Chaney's system. :)

Best post I've read in a month +1! :)

jjdlc

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 04, 2015, 11:17:52 amQUOTE.       

The most important thing.

ricepig

Quote from: Polecat on February 04, 2015, 11:27:46 am
excited to see Coach Herb work with him. Add 15 pounds of muscle and keep his speed and he has a chance to be a real weapon

Going to be hard to add 15lbs in JUCO. Hopefully, he gets on campus in June, he needs to be to play this year.

MAL3

Reed will make you say KJ Who? this fall!

Kevin

Quote from: MAL3 on February 04, 2015, 12:03:52 pm
Reed will make you say KJ Who? this fall!

been saying that since mr who decommitted
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 04, 2015, 11:22:31 am
Semicolon also acceptable.

Birminghog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2015, 10:59:33 am
I'm trying to understand, but it's just not happening for me right now...

It's what the little sapling said when he grew up.  "Gee! Ah'm a tree!

Old math class joke - was lame then, still is, but it was a clever move by supersaint, IMO.